Forum Settings
Forums

Things that stop you from watching a certain anime

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Post New Reply
Oct 27, 2011 10:08 PM

honestly the quickest way to stop me from watching an anime is put a whole bunch of lolis in it. other then that if its boring I will stop watching or if its way too girly, which is why i don't watch shoujo. this is not to mention the basic stuff like yaoi or shounen-ai

after reading everyone elses posts I have got to say WTF? Fanservice and too many episodes. You guys got issues. First of all can even name more than 10 anime's that don't have even a little fanservice. When you get down to it every anime has fanservice. Some are just hardcore ecchi, Others are toned down. But the fanservice is always there. Second, why is too many episodes a bad thing? Too few episodes is bad. If I like a series I don't want it to end so the more episodes the better. Saying something has too many episodes is just you saying I'm too lazy to watch that many.
Modified by EcchiEcho, Oct 27, 2011 10:31 PM

Oct 28, 2011 5:55 AM

EcchiEcho said:
after reading everyone elses posts I have got to say WTF? Fanservice and too many episodes. You guys got issues. First of all can even name more than 10 anime's that don't have even a little fanservice. When you get down to it every anime has fanservice. Some are just hardcore ecchi, Others are toned down. But the fanservice is always there. Second, why is too many episodes a bad thing? Too few episodes is bad. If I like a series I don't want it to end so the more episodes the better. Saying something has too many episodes is just you saying I'm too lazy to watch that many.

1) Kaiji
2) Nodame Cantabile
3) Hikaru no Go
4) Legend of the Galactic Heroes
5) Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
6) Captain Tsubasa
7) Grave of the Fireflies
8) Hungry Heart: Wild Striker
9) Level E (I think)
10) Ashita no Joe
11) Saint Seiya
12) Cyborg 009
13) Dog Days
14) MÄR

There. 14 anime with no fanservice.

I agree with the latter.

Oct 29, 2011 7:57 AM

art style, characters, and pacing are up there.

Oct 29, 2011 8:05 AM

power outage

Oct 29, 2011 8:35 AM

EcchiEcho said:

(1) Fanservice: In most cases, I think, the issue is not that it is present at all but that it is over-the-top. As long as it is not the focus of the series or a distraction from the actual plot, I don' think most people care.

(2) Too many episodes: I understand why you would think that if you like a series a lot, than the more of it the better. However, this rarely works out that way. It's a bit cynical, but I see it as, "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to screw it up." By the time a series reaches at least 100+ episodes, the quality of the storyline has probably dropped. Many people prefer shorter-length series (myself included) because the plot is often more carefully planned and well executed from beginning to end. I would rather have 13-26 episodes of an excellent story than 100+ episodes of a mediocre one.

Oct 29, 2011 10:58 AM
1) A bunch of plotholes (Bleach for example)
2) Shounen Ai-Yaoi
3) Too much moe-ness
4) Excessive fanservice (Ikkitousen, HOTD)

Oct 29, 2011 11:48 AM

(2) Too many episodes: I understand why you would think that if you like a series a lot, than the more of it the better. However, this rarely works out that way. It's a bit cynical, but I see it as, "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to screw it up."

They can screw up on a single episode OVA or all 1000 episodes of an anime just as easily. The chance of failure or success does not change the number of times you roll the dice.

Oct 29, 2011 12:10 PM

Anime_Name said:
They can screw up on a single episode OVA or all 1000 episodes of an anime just as easily. The chance of failure or success does not change the number of times you roll the dice.

That's fine if you think that. All I'm saying is that it seems that anime and television shows alike run out of ideas after a certain point, or otherwise try to stretch a storyline out too long. Not all series suffer from this, but I would say that most of the longer series that I have seen have.

Also, the amount of time it takes to get to that point varies. Some series can go strong for several seasons before they reach the point where it would be appropriate to wrap things up, whereas others really should conclude much earlier. The problem arises when they either don't realize when they've reached a good stopping point, or when they just don't care because they want to make as much money off the series as they can.

And of course a single OVA episode can be executed badly as well. There's more than one way to mess up a potentially good story. :)

Oct 29, 2011 12:27 PM

There's not a whole lot that would make me just stop watching an anime if I've decided I'm interested but generic cipher characters are definitely on the top of that list.

Note that 'generic' in this case doesn't mean 'not special'. Kyon , from Haruhi, is perfectly normal but he still manages to be an interesting character by, well, actually being a character rather than someone for the viewer to project himself onto.

Oct 29, 2011 12:36 PM

People can run out of ideas, what a profound statement. However that does not make a longer running show more likely than any given short running show. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove otherwise. If "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to screw it up." is true then the opposite is also true, "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to make it great." because failing is not the only side of the die.

Oct 29, 2011 2:29 PM

Anime_Name said:
People can run out of ideas, what a profound statement. However that does not make a longer running show more likely than any given short running show. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't prove otherwise. If "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to screw it up." is true then the opposite is also true, "The more episodes, the more opportunity they have to make it great." because failing is not the only side of the die.

I am not trying to prove anything here - I am merely stating my opinion and giving my interpretation of why others might also be wary of longer series.

I disagree with your point that writers are not any more or less likely to run out of ideas with longer series as opposed to shorter ones. With a shorter series, it is much easier to pace out the plot and character development. Longer series have the advantage of more opportunities to develop characters and relationships, but the plot will eventually run its course. When the initial conflict has been resolved or goal has been reached, the writer(s) will have to come up with new ideas. Sometimes they work, but often they do not.

Alternatively, stretching out the plot too far and introducing too many different characters and storylines can cause viewers to lose interest. In anime, I've mainly seen this with shounen series. For example, I found both Naruto and Bleach quite enjoyable for a while. However, I felt that the storylines of each eventually became clumsy and tedious. Too many unnecessary characters and subplots were introduced to maintain my interest.

The Hunter x Hunter manga is another case in which a series suffers as a result of its length, in my opinion. It had a very strong plot until it reached the chimera ant arc. It felt almost completely disconnected from everything that had happened before, and although I love the characters, I completely lost interest in the story. I know many others felt the same way.

I could continue listing series and describe what I felt was wrong in each case, but I think that is unnecessary. Obviously, this is a subjective matter, and I don't think we're going to agree. It's fine if you like longer series; I really don't care. However, I am somewhat wary of them because, in most cases, those are the types of series that I've really gotten into only to be disappointed in the end. I honestly cannot think of a single series that has benefited from having hundreds of episodes.

Oct 29, 2011 3:02 PM

No One Piece love in this thread? I'm pretty sure it doesn't get repetitive...

Oct 29, 2011 3:12 PM

Tiago97 said:

lol. I have never seen One Piece. Perhaps it is an example of an exception to what I have discussed in my last couple of posts. :p

Oct 29, 2011 3:40 PM

I am not trying to prove anything here - I am merely stating my opinion and giving my interpretation of why others might also be wary of longer series.

Well you are giving an opinion and then using that opinion to create a sweeping generalization.

With a shorter series, it is much easier to pace out the plot and character development. Longer series have the advantage of more opportunities to develop characters and relationships, but the plot will eventually run its course.

Who says every story in an anime will be for progressing the plot? A writer could very well use some of the episodes, in their entirety or partially, for character development, a notion you claim longer series have an advantage at. Running out of plot is not as inevitable as you make it seem.

Sometimes they work, but often they do not.

And yet you're opinion is fixated on the not working part and fails to see that what a writer comes up with can work or fail on episode 1 just as easily as episode 2000. Go head I you can name plenty of anime that failed for you in the first few episodes which would show short anime don't have an advantage story-wise just because they are short.

The Hunter x Hunter manga is another case in which a series suffers as a result of its length, in my opinion.

I think you are trying to hard to make this just about your opinion about specific stories but you are simply exaggerating the problems long series can have and ignoring that the same issues are present in short anime. The only proof I need is the fact your entire anime list contradicts what you are moaning about here.

If you want to be wary of long series for the reasons you've given then logically you would need to be wary of short series for the same reasons. Which ultimately means all anime can mess up there story. I'm going to fallback on Sturgeon's Law because it seems to fit here as your sort of short-sightedness is precisely the reason he came up with it.
Modified by Anime_Name, Oct 29, 2011 3:43 PM

Oct 29, 2011 4:25 PM

Tiago97 said:

I was thinking the same thing, if anything One Piece is an example of fully utilizing it's rather long length.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Oct 29, 2011 4:30 PM

Series that look like they'll be a generic ecchi/harem show I usually stear clear of. And harem series obviously based on games with male lead who probably doesn't have any personality.

Oct 29, 2011 4:50 PM

1) When art style is totally weird. I somehow prefer classic anime/manga art norms.
2) When story is just complete nonsense.

Oct 29, 2011 6:00 PM

The whole show is about sexual features (not even a hentai, a eechi), anything made before 1989, annoying as duck female characters, if its about virtual worlds( an example would be //.hack, in which I watched and mostly disliked), ones that are rated super bad, worse than average animation,(average would be Hana Yori Dango, in my case), shoujo-ai, yuri, and a really bad musical soundtrack.

Oct 29, 2011 9:19 PM

Anime_Name said:
Well you are giving an opinion and then using that opinion to create a sweeping generalization.

I never said that every lengthy anime series in existence follows the same pattern - only that many of the ones that I have encountered run into this issue.

Anime_Name said:
Who says every story in an anime will be for progressing the plot? A writer could very well use some of the episodes, in their entirety or partially, for character development, a notion you claim longer series have an advantage at. Running out of plot is not as inevitable as you make it seem.

Again, I never said that every episode must progress the overarching plot. I would have no issue with a writer using an episode for character development - I am all for character development. However, even with that, I do feel that some series try to stretch out the plot longer than is necessary. This may eventually cause me to lose interest, and has in several cases.

Anime_Name said:
And yet you're opinion is fixated on the not working part and fails to see that what a writer comes up with can work or fail on episode 1 just as easily as episode 2000. Go head I you can name plenty of anime that failed for you in the first few episodes which would show short anime don't have an advantage story-wise just because they are short.

I already agreed that a single OVA or short series can be poorly executed - however, as these problems have nothing to do with what I mentioned in my first post that you responded to, I don't see how they are relevant to the discussion.

Anime_Name said:
I think you are trying to hard to make this just about your opinion about specific stories but you are simply exaggerating the problems long series can have and ignoring that the same issues are present in short anime. The only proof I need is the fact your entire anime list contradicts what you are moaning about here.

I suppose that shorter series can also introduce too many characters and subplots. One example of this I can immediately recall is X/1999; it is actually a film rather than a short series, but it does have the same problem. The storyline of X is quite involved, and it needs more time to be told. Attempting to fit that storyline and that many main characters in 100 minutes was a mistake, in my opinion. In the movie, it was impossible to get to know or feel connected with the characters because they died before the viewer had the chance to.

However, the storyline in a shorter anime really doesn't have as much a chance to deteriorate over time. It doesn't have as much time to develop or change. It's just either good or it isn't.

Also, I do enjoy some longer series, and I never claimed that I didn't. In some cases, perhaps I did rate a series too generously considering that I eventually lost interest. However, I do factor in other things into my ratings besides the plot. I also consider the characters, the quality of artwork/animation, and the music, for example. And there have been some longer series that I have rewatched either parts of, or up until the point that I lost interest. The fact that I feel that the storyline deteriorates at a certain point does not necessarily detract from my interest in the parts that I genuinely enjoyed.

Anime_Name said:
If you want to be wary of long series for the reasons you've given then logically you would need to be wary of short series for the same reasons. Which ultimately means all anime can mess up there story. I'm going to fallback on Sturgeon's Law because it seems to fit here as your sort of short-sightedness is precisely the reason he came up with it.

Of course any storyline can go wrong in a number of ways, regardless of length. At least with a shorter series, though, you don't have to invest as much time in a series before you are disappointed. :) Honestly, I am not as cynical as I've made myself seem here. Part of it is that I don't make as much time as I once did for anime, so I am a little picky about what I do watch. Most of the series that I have picked up recently have been shorter, but mostly by coincidence.

I don't hate longer series. Some of my favorites are a bit on the long side; some of them are short. In fact, if you look at my first post in this topic, I did not say that the length of a series is a deal breaker for me. However, that doesn't change the fact that I've run into many longer series that do eventually decrease in quality.

I don't think it is necessary for any storyline to go on forever. Some people obviously love it, but it just isn't for me. I like longer stories, which is why I gravitate to television and anime series rather than films. However, there does often come a point, even in the best of series, when I feel that a story extends past the point it should. I think sometimes it is smart to quit while you're ahead.

I'm not saying that everyone should feel the same way simply because I do. That would be stupid, and I honestly don't care if people have a different opinion than me. I don't understand why it should matter to you so much if we disagree.

Oct 30, 2011 6:42 AM

I check the story before I watch. Thats the first thing that has to be to get my attention.
When I don't get a feeling after the first 5 or 6 Eps I sometimes drop.

Really bad is, when one of the main chars dies early
I dropped that...but I think I will go on watching it some day.

Plus, when the anime gets toooo long...I dont like that. It seems like they just think of crap they can add to keep the viewers. I Like it, when a story comes to an end, no matter wheter its a bad or a happy ending.
Modified by EmileNoir, Oct 30, 2011 8:04 AM

Oct 30, 2011 6:46 AM

^

Learn how to put some spoiler tags.
[ spoiler ] Insert spoiler here [ /spoiler ]
Without the spaces, of course.

Mmmmkay?

Oct 30, 2011 6:48 AM

anoying characters
horrible plot
echhiness
to long
not popular
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"

Oct 30, 2011 6:50 AM

truesoul said:
not popular

Tha fuck?

Main stream is usually a generic shounen, you know?

Oct 30, 2011 8:05 AM

Tiago97 said:
^

Learn how to put some spoiler tags.
[ spoiler ] Insert spoiler here [ /spoiler ]
Without the spaces, of course.

Mmmmkay?

Oct 30, 2011 8:08 AM
When the plot divulges from something truly interesting to something overdone in order to appease publishers/broadcasters (e.g. Rideback turning into generic terrorism story after having established itself as a sports/competition story).

Oct 30, 2011 8:20 AM

While it doesn't exclude the series entirely, I am leery of extra-long running anime simply because of the required time investment. If it's good enough, and I have the time for ti, a long marathon can be fun; I learned to enjoy both Bleach and Naruto much more when I watched the whole series through, skipping filler in Naruto's case. I might get around to watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, but One Piece being even longer than Bleach makes me disinclined to try and get into it.

Other no-nos:
Violent/annoying tsunderes
Comedy that isn't funny
'Doormat' main characters whose only purpose in life is to get shat on by the universe (especially combined with a violent tsundere who beats the shit out of them, often in an unfunnily 'comedic' way)
Lovey-dovey romance
Filler episodes - especially the school festival and beach ones. I won't usually drop a series because of them (unless they put in so much filler it chokes out the plot), but I'll definitely fast-forward thru them or skip them entirely.
Poorly done/inappropriate censoring
Modified by Blind_Guardian, Oct 30, 2011 8:23 AM

Oct 30, 2011 8:56 AM

First of all, Yaoi. Not necessarily yaoi, but two guys holding hands like no.6 effff shit. No offense to no.6 fans. Second is Too much pathetic main character that I wanna puke and ask why did the author didn't put any brain on him. Third is bad settings, drawing and story.

Oct 30, 2011 9:58 AM

However, that doesn't change the fact that I've run into many longer series that do eventually decrease in quality.

And you've ran into short series that has done the same, yet you're labeling this problem as an affliction that has to do with length as opposed to how well the story is told.

I don't think it is necessary for any storyline to go on forever. Some people obviously love it, but it just isn't for me.

I thought you were implying an inherent quality difference between shorter and longer anime from all of your prattle about your experiences this, your experiences that. However if you wish to change from that sweeping generalization to a more personal view like the quote above then I would have no reason to continue this discussion with you.

I think sometimes it is smart to quit while you're ahead.

Practice what you preach much? This point still assumes the black and white position that whatever is done past a certain point will be worse than whatever came before it, never to return or attain the same glory as before. Whose going to judge where that point is and make sure that whatever came after that point isn't an exception to your rule? Sorry but your rule is ambiguous and is oddly not being applied equally to shorter series, even though they have the same chances to fail at impressing some viewers. So again without conveniently overlooking that short anime stories can be bad, the rule that you mean is all anime can mess up their(can't believe I misspelled that before, oh well) story.

The more you wave around that what you are posting here is your experience, your feelings, and your opinion the more you contradict yourself because your anime list doesn't support what you're asserting.

Oct 30, 2011 11:09 AM

Anime_Name said:
And you've ran into short series that has done the same, yet you're labeling this problem as an affliction that has to do with length as opposed to how well the story is told.

No, actually I haven't. I have run into shorter series (13-26 episodes) that were not executed well, period, but that is not the same thing. A series declining in quality over a long period of time can only be an issue with a longer series. And, yes, naturally it is a matter of how well the story is told, since this is a discussion about storylines.

Anime_Name said:
I thought you were implying an inherent quality difference between shorter and longer anime from all of your prattle about your experiences this, your experiences that. However if you wish to change from that sweeping generalization to a more personal view like the quote above then I would have no reason to continue this discussion with you.

No, I was not. I never said that shorter is always better than longer - in fact, I have said at least a couple of times that this is not the case. The storyline decreasing in quality over time is not inevitable, necessarily. However, it does happen - often. Like I said before, some series are written well enough and have the expansive plot necessary to cover a large number of episodes. Some series do not have the writing or plot to support hundreds of episodes, however, and in these cases it seems more like the writers are desperately trying to come up with anything they can as they go.

If you would like to conclude our discussion, I'm fine with that.

Anime_Name said:
Practice what you preach much? This point still assumes the black and white position that whatever is done past a certain point will be worse than whatever came before it, never to return or attain the same glory as before. Whose going to judge where that point is and make sure that whatever came after that point isn't an exception to your rule?

The writer(s) should be the judge of when it is appropriate to conclude the story. Even after I feel that they may have reached that point, I do attempt to stick with it for a while to see what happens. But if the series continues to disappoint me, then I will usually drop it. It isn't worth keeping up with something I no longer enjoy when I could be watching something that I actually do enjoy.

Anime_Name said:
The more you wave around that what you are posting here is your experience, your feelings, and your opinion the more you contradict yourself because your anime list doesn't support what you're asserting.

I have already said that I take into account other things aside from plot in my ratings. If I feel that a series has a strong, likable cast of characters and great music, for example, and the storyline was quite enjoyable for a while – that may be enough for me to raise my score to a 7 (Good) instead of a 5 or 6 (Average or Fine).

Nevertheless, most of my higher scores (8-10) have gone to shorter or mid-length series. I have rarely completed a 200+ episode series, or even a 100+ episode series. I'm not sure why you keep attempting to use my anime list to discount everything that I say, but I don't think it really works.

Oct 30, 2011 11:10 AM

- too long (e.g. Naruto, Bleach)
- everyone says it's good, but it sounds so dark or gory or boring (e.g. Death Note or Elfenlied or Mushishi)

EDIT: got to agree :D
fanservice (dropped Airgear cause of it <.<)
annoying characters (It started with a kiss - dropped)

I know I pass up a lot of good anime that way hehe^^"
Modified by kujika, Oct 30, 2011 11:25 AM

Oct 30, 2011 11:11 AM

fanservice

annoying characters

thats really it, i am not bothered by cliches that much, yah when its like everything is stolen like hoshizora was im bothered but i think it was the fanservice and annoying characters that really made me despise that show

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 30, 2011 11:54 AM

No, actually I haven't. I have run into shorter series (13-26 episodes) that were not executed well, period, but that is not the same thing. A series declining in quality over a long period of time can only be an issue with a longer series.

Since your argument is about frequency, short series have the same likelihood of declining and don't produce better stories more often than any other story length.

I am also stating that decline is not the only direction a story can go in. If we assume a longer series has more opportunities to decline, then it can also be assumed that longer series also have more opportunities to get better.

Maybe it is because you don't complete longer series once you decide there's a decline so you don't notice that getting better or staying the same are directions a story can go in at any point.

Oct 30, 2011 8:29 PM

- bad plot/character development
- if the anime has over 50 episodes.( I don't mind long series, so long as I can start from episode one and keep up with it, but I don't like to start watching an anime that is already hitting 50 plus episodes.)
-Excessive ecchi(a little is tolerable, but not every five minutes)
-Too much filler. (I hate filler and excessive amounts of flashbacks, they make me want to throw my TV out the window.)

Oct 30, 2011 8:39 PM

If its too ecchi, count me out. A little is ok, but I can go without a panty shot every other frame if you don't mind.

Also, I don't know why, but a lead character who won't get his hands dirty bugs the crap out of me. Like Vash from Trigun or Shu from Now and Then Here and There, quit being a pansy, kill those guys that have killed everyone else, and move the story along.

Oct 30, 2011 11:14 PM

Fanservice
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanservice

UP TO ELEVEN!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UpToEleven

Even if Zettai Ryouiki
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZettaiRyouiki

with or without Girlish Pigtails
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GirlishPigtails?from=Main.TwinTails

are with my fave girl.

Example:
High School of the Dead.
Modified by HyperCobaltMax, Oct 30, 2011 11:18 PM

Oct 31, 2011 12:14 AM

I'll try any anime but if it ends up revolving around fanservice i'll probably drop it if there isn't at least a decent story.

Oct 31, 2011 12:41 AM

Anime_Name said:
Maybe it is because you don't complete longer series once you decide there's a decline so you don't notice that getting better or staying the same are directions a story can go in at any point.

Well, I do agree that it is certainly possible for the storyline to eventually improve after hitting a slump. As I said, I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt to a point. I'll stick with it for a while to see how things turn out. However, after a while, if the plot has become sloppy and there is no indication that it may improve soon, I will quit watching. As much as I may have loved the series at one point, I feel that it is a waste of my time if I no longer find it enjoyable to watch. Perhaps in these cases, the series do eventually get better - but I'm only willing to wait it out for so long.

Oct 31, 2011 12:50 AM

I generally shy away from anime lasting longer than two 26-episode seasons. Nothing to really do with the anime, per say, I just almost always lose interest after a while. I prefer good stories that can be told in a decent time frame, is all.
☆ (( クレイジー・サンシャイン )) ☆

Oct 31, 2011 12:52 AM

- Depressing art (Like Mushishi or Tatami Galaxy)
- Lack of comedy
- Forced Drama

I mainly watch anime for the fun of it, to make me happy and entertained.

Oct 31, 2011 8:38 AM

I don't really understand all the ecchi/fanservice hate ... to each there own, I suppose, but fanservice is always a plus for me (as long as it's not grotesque proportions like some of the tits in Horizon or the blacksmith lady in Queen's Blade). Fanservice never, ever ruins a show for me, unless said fanservice is heavily censored, which can lead to me spewing curses all over those beams of light and clouds of fog :P

Also, Anime_Name and celestialocean, if you need to continue your argument please go to Private Messages, nobody really wants to watch you two have it out in front of everyone.

Oct 31, 2011 8:44 AM

Shoujo

I don't mind anime that is AIMED at girls, but why the fuck do all the guys have to act or be gay?

The majority of girls in shounen are not lesbians.....fuck, it's so annoying!!!

Oct 31, 2011 9:34 AM

Blind_Guardian, I think our discussion is more or less over. I don't think there is really anything left to say. Nevertheless, I don't understand the problem with us exchanging ideas here that relate to the given topic. That is what a forum is for. We have not violated any of the forum rules or guidelines, and we have not strayed from the topic. If you are tired of reading certain posts, you are always free to ignore them.

Nov 1, 2011 4:37 AM

Anime_Name's sig who wouldn't want to do that to conan.
so many characters deserve a swift kick to the head.

Things that stop you from watching a certain anime:
Mid numing stpuidity
Long hero speach
Captin obviuos
General exposition
flash backs
recaps that take up most of the ep unless i missed an ep then it's ok
The music: seriously tacits bagpipes are only good in short bursts
The wtf factor if it has no way of ever being cleared up.
The look how weak iam yet I can still beat u up
sheer boardum (mispelled dn't care)
Look i know we did this b4 but we are doing it again cuase it works
The gag swtch: even if we won't uderstand don't americanize the gags/jokes
So children can watch aldut/not ment 4 children anime clean sweep.
i could go on 4 days
I still watch them regardless

Have u ever re watched an anime and muted or looked away from a scene that u have watched complety the firs time u saw it? I have.

Nov 1, 2011 7:05 AM
Honestly bad/old looking animation is a huge put off for me

Nov 1, 2011 1:23 PM
Sports animes, too much fanservice, awful animation and... tentacles (even in hentai).

Nov 1, 2011 2:55 PM

Everything with cute little girls/fairies/catgirls etc in it.
Just not my cup of tea.

Nov 1, 2011 4:57 PM

repeated battle styles/tranformations
rushed/slow story
pokemon related
fillers
airing at 'god knows what pattern'

Nov 3, 2011 6:39 PM

- I tend to avoid old anime because they're... old. It's mostly the art style that puts me off.
- If I want to watch a romance (or anything else, for that matter) and it has a shoujo-tag, I will probably not watch it regardless of the story.
- Ecchi/too much fanservice
- Lack of serious/drama moments (unless I want to watch something ONLY for the comedy).
- Harem/love-triangles
- Too much blood-censoring in action anime

Nov 3, 2011 6:57 PM

celestialocean said:
Anime_Name said:

Well, I do agree that it is certainly possible for the storyline to eventually improve after hitting a slump.

The whole point I am trying to drive home is that story arcs varying in quality is more the case than any writer getting into a slump.

I'll stick with it for a while to see how things turn out. However, after a while, if the plot has become sloppy and there is no indication that it may improve soon, I will quit watching. As much as I may have loved the series at one point, I feel that it is a waste of my time if I no longer find it enjoyable to watch. Perhaps in these cases, the series do eventually get better - but I'm only willing to wait it out for so long.

All that is completely vague; I don't know what 'a while' is or what you would consider a sloppy for a story. What I am saying is you can't backup your sweeping generalization if you dropped a show without seeing all the writer had planned.

Dec 2, 2011 5:03 PM

I don't have interest to watch 100% slice of life without any fantastic, mystic or at least battle elements. Don't watching anime that contain nothing else than love story, especially where cool and smart girl will in the end become humble housewife, instead of big perspectives. Also, I'm cold to spokon, ninja and zombie stuff, most of fantasy, and lot of fanservice with lack of plot. Sometimes I don't watch because don't like animation style.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »