Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2011 4:55 AM

Jun 2009
So, it seems that NBA commissioner David Stern has cancelled the first two weeks of the 2011-2012 NBA Season due to the labor dispute. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight to this lockout as negotiations between the NBA owners and players have fallen through in recent days.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7085089/nba-labor-david-stern-cancels-first-two-weeks-nba-season

So post your reactions here to this whole ordeal and discuss how long you think that the lockout will last.
rpatwaterOct 11, 2011 4:59 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 11, 2011 11:20 AM

Dec 2008
well ive probly seen the last of chris paul in a hornets jersey, and david west is most likely going to leave... so its not a big loss to me since i dont really have much to look forward to anyway other than watching cp3 play out his final year here
Oct 11, 2011 11:57 AM

Aug 2009
I'm not really that bothered by it since the NFL is on but once that is over its going to suck. At least there is college basketball.
Oct 11, 2011 5:39 PM
May 2010
Jimb0 said:
well ive probly seen the last of chris paul in a hornets jersey, and david west is most likely going to leave... so its not a big loss to me since i dont really have much to look forward to anyway other than watching cp3 play out his final year here

This, meh. We should have dumped Paul when we had the chance and kept Collison. Now the Hornets have no future and will have to rebuild again.
Oct 11, 2011 6:02 PM

Jun 2008
I would like to say I'm optimistic....but at this point I'm not sure....

Stern and the Owners are fucking idiots, and it almost seems like they're bent on destroying the NBA.

Funny enough, as much as the NBA has grown world wide, it's been STUCK in the same place here in the U.S.

This really is a disaster for all real NBA fans such as myself, especially knowing that we have a team that is desperately looking for redemption.

Fuck Stern and his cronies, even Bud "Mr. Magoo" Selig looks better than him!
Oct 11, 2011 8:18 PM

May 2008
Stern has very little power over these proceedings--he's just a figurehead.

Blame the greedy owners.
Dermatitus have plagued men for millenia. Peace, THERE IS NO CURE.
Oct 11, 2011 8:30 PM

Oct 2011
Da Bulls.
Championship.
I call it.

>:D
Oct 11, 2011 8:44 PM

Jun 2008
deadskin said:
Stern has very little power over these proceedings--he's just a figurehead.

Blame the greedy owners.

I DO blame the good for nothing owners.....they act as if us fans pay to see THEM play.

However, Stern is just a fucking idiot that makes things worst, his bullshit threats and bully act are not going to get through and the Players fully understand and know they're getting screwed by the NBA.

Kyuu46 said:
Da Bulls.
Championship.
I call it.

Pfft.....that would mean they would have to get out of the East....and that's just NOT possible!
Oct 12, 2011 9:42 PM

Oct 2010
Kyuu46 said:
Da Bulls.
Championship.
I call it.
>:D

Yes! Heres to hoping this gets resolved before all the players decide to leave to other leagues...and were left with metta world peace as the best player in the NBA.
Oct 13, 2011 8:39 AM

Sep 2011
@Alex

Yes, Stern is making things worse, alright. But he's not gonna back down until his demands are met.

And why is it impossible for the bulls to win the east? Just because Lebron said they're gonna win not 1, not 2, not 3 , not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7, but multiple championships does not mean that the Miami will get a free ticket to the finals. First of all, what they need to do is... Stop collecting washed-up veterans who no longer amount to anything at this point of their careers. Seriously, the reason why Heat didn't win the finals was because Juwan Howard brought his 'fab 5' curse to Miami
alec613Oct 13, 2011 8:42 AM
LastExile_613.png
Oct 13, 2011 3:44 PM

Jun 2008
alec613 said:
And why is it impossible for the bulls to win the east?

It's not impossible, I'm just talking trash :P

alec613 said:
Seriously, the reason why Heat didn't win the finals was because Juwan Howard brought his 'fab 5' curse to Miami

LOL, even though I would love to blame it on that, the reason why we lost is very simple......Dallas was the better TEAM.

I hate to admit it but they were!
Oct 13, 2011 6:54 PM

Jun 2009
David Stern just announced that, if a new deal isn't reached by the following Tuesday, then games through Christmas will most likely be cancelled.

ESPN Article: "http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7097830/nba-commissioner-david-stern-doubts-christmas-games-no-deal-tuesday

In all honesty, I'm somewhat indifferent towards the lockout at this time. The regular season in all that interesting, except for a few important games. And, I'll still have the NFL and college basketball to keep me occupied most of the time.

In fact, a season cancellation might be best if NBA can fix its numerous problems, such as:

1. Regular season doesn't matter much - over half the teams (16 out of 30) make the playoffs each year, which encourages mediocrity and less effort from the players through out the season. Every year, there are multiple teams with losing records (normally from the Eastern conference) that make the playoffs.

2. Playoffs are too long - since 16 teams make the playoffs, the championship team will have to win 4 7-game series. Each series takes about 10 days to play, and accounting for breaks between rounds, it may take 1.5+ months from the start of the playoffs to determine a champion.

3. Perpetually bad teams - There are teams that have among the worst records in the league every year. The LA Clippers are an example of this. If you play for such a team, it must be demotivating to realize that you have virtually no chance of making playoffs and playing for a championship. This often forces good players playing for bad teams to leave as soon as possible and results in the creation of "superteams" (Celtics, Heat, Lakers, etc.), which ruins parity in the NBA.

4. Guaranteed contracts - Initial guaranteed money is fine, but large guaranteed contracts can make underperforming players near untradeable. It's ridiculous that players like Gilbert Arenas are making over $10 million a year. This deal will probably handicap the Magic for years to come, as they can't use that money to sign better players to help their franchise player Dwight Howard. The lack of a hard salary cap like the NFL has doesn't help matters either.

*Another benefit for the NBA of a year-long lockout would be that it can increase the longevity of careers of their superstars since their bodies won't have to go through the wear of an 82-game season (although some will most likely play overseas).
Oct 13, 2011 8:05 PM

Aug 2009
How does it go from two weeks cancel to Christmas in a few days?
Oct 18, 2011 2:28 PM
Oct 21, 2011 2:15 PM

Jun 2009
Kyuu46 said:
And now, for some LOL:

Magic Johnson pokes fun at LeBron

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7119504/magic-johnson-pokes-fun-lebron-james-playoff-struggles

You'd think someone who was given the nickname "Tragic Johnson" for his own NBA Finals woes against the Boston Celtics would have a little more empathy for LeBron's struggles.

More importantly, NBA players and owners met again for negations during a 3-day period. As expected, nothing was settled and both sides are at an impasse once again. I hate to be pessimistic, but it seems more and more likely there won't be an NBA season this year.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7127448/nba-lockout-talks-break-early-thursday-planned
Oct 21, 2011 5:54 PM

Jan 2011
Like many are now saying on Basketball sites...

FUCK BOTH OF EM....seriously

Greedy Millionaires vs even more greedy billionaires
Oct 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Jun 2008
If the NBA season is lost, you can expect MAJOR DAMAGE to the reputation to everything!!!

Also, there will be some teams that are CONTRACTED, that's pretty much a fact.

At this point I'm losing hope really quickly :(
Oct 21, 2011 7:27 PM

Oct 2011
JustALEX said:
If the NBA season is lost, you can expect MAJOR DAMAGE to the reputation to everything!!!

NBA has already been fundamentally screwed when it chose to market individual players over teams.
Oct 24, 2011 10:06 PM

Jun 2009
Two more weeks of the NBA Season are going to be cancelled, meaning there will be no games through November 28th. David Stern needs to be a man and just cancel the entire season.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7146097/nba-lockout-2011-league-cancel-two-more-weeks-regular-season-according-report

Also, while this lockout continues, plans are in place for the top NBA players to do a 6-game, 4-continent world tour at the end of October.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7140585/lockout-nba-world-tour-contracts-place-sources-say
Oct 24, 2011 10:24 PM

Jun 2008
BlackKnight27 said:
Also, while this lockout continues, plans are in place for the top NBA players to do a 6-game, 4-continent world tour at the end of October.

What a JOKE!

What good is it to go globetrotting and leaving the REAL NBA fans in despair and agony...

The NBA is slowly but surely digging it's own grave......if they ever come back, expect FEWER TEAMS, FEWER FANS, and FEWER SUPPORT.

All of this is a huge punch to the stomachs of every NBA fan....
Oct 24, 2011 10:40 PM

Oct 2011
LOL. Cancelling two-weeks at a time, I see. XD
Oct 25, 2011 12:45 PM

Apr 2009
the ones who hurt the most are the people who make less than 40k per year as a stadium worker/minor scout/local sports journalist...
Oct 25, 2011 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
kenny_wontons said:
the ones who hurt the most are the people who make less than 40k per year as a stadium worker/minor scout/local sports journalist...

Well, those people usually have second jobs and whatnot, but yeah, they're going to get hurt pretty bad...

I'm already at RAGE level for ALL sides, at this point I blame EVERYONE, including the players!
Oct 25, 2011 1:16 PM

May 2008
Dermatitus have plagued men for millenia. Peace, THERE IS NO CURE.
Oct 25, 2011 1:22 PM

Oct 2011
I'm lucky i'm a raptors fan, our draft pick isn't even coming over until next year, so I honestly could care less if this season ever happens, and i'm a pretty big fan of basketball. Just that if the nba gives some good team the #1 overall pick this year... i'll be pissed.
Oct 25, 2011 2:25 PM

Oct 2011
Imagine this:

NBA cancels entire season.

Not a shit was given. LOL
Oct 25, 2011 2:35 PM

Aug 2009
deadskin said:
HA.
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Oct 25, 2011 4:15 PM

Jun 2009
JustALEX said:
What a JOKE!

What good is it to go globetrotting and leaving the REAL NBA fans in despair and agony...

The NBA is slowly but surely digging it's own grave......if they ever come back, expect FEWER TEAMS, FEWER FANS, and FEWER SUPPORT.

All of this is a huge punch to the stomachs of every NBA fan....
What do you expect the best NBA players to do? Most of them have already played in multiple charity games in the United States during the lockout, and they will be paid up anywhere from six figures to $1 million for doing this tour. They can't stop the lockout. It's really up to the NBA Players Association and the owners.

So why shouldn't they leave the country in order to promote the globalization of the NBA, while getting paid? It's better than them staying in their mansions waiting for the lockout to end. Also, the NBA is quite popular across the world, and this tour could be a once-in-a-lifetime chance for non-American NBA fans to see their favorite players in real life. If there is no NBA this season, I do agree that popularity within the United States will take a hit, but things like this world tour will help raise international interest.

And, contracting teams from the league might be for the best since there is no point for putting teams out there that will never be competitive, for example, the LA Clippers. It's demoralizing for both the players and the fans.
Oct 25, 2011 9:26 PM

Jun 2008
I know this doesn't have to do with the lockout but.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/After-being-sued-for-200K-Julius-Erving-puts-h?urn=nba-wp9766

^Dr. J is selling his championship rings, MVP trophies, and MORE....

What a shame!

One of the biggest NBA legends is reduced to selling everything he worked so hard to get because he needs money.....JUST WOW!
Oct 26, 2011 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
JustALEX said:
I know this doesn't have to do with the lockout but.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/After-being-sued-for-200K-Julius-Erving-puts-h?urn=nba-wp9766

^Dr. J is selling his championship rings, MVP trophies, and MORE....

What a shame!

One of the biggest NBA legends is reduced to selling everything he worked so hard to get because he needs money.....JUST WOW!

He's been having financial issues since FOREVER. Having to sell ALL of his achievements (trophies, ring, jerseys, etc), he's probably going into depression
LastExile_613.png
Oct 27, 2011 2:16 AM

Jul 2010
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/10/26/wednesday-labor.ap/index.html

If all goes good, there just might be a chance to restore the whole season.

Oct 27, 2011 3:06 AM

Oct 2011
rangikai said:

At least 4 weeks are already canceled. They cannot get those back.
Oct 27, 2011 9:44 PM

Jun 2009
Kyuu46 said:
rangikai said:

At least 4 weeks are already canceled. They cannot get those back.
Actually, they can still play a full 82-game schedule by having the games played more frequently. Obviously, the product on the court would be inferior as the players would be on fewer days rest, and there might be a higher rate of injuries due to that and a lack of training camp...
Oct 27, 2011 9:58 PM

Jun 2008
I DON'T believe that a shorter season is necessarily a bad thing....

For one thing, the NBA season is too damn long to begin with, I have NO idea why we need 82 games.

62 games seems more than enough and even with one month cancelled the league can still have a 62 - 68 game season....which is STILL good.
Oct 27, 2011 10:04 PM

Feb 2009
I'd prefer a shorter season as well........ I tend to tune out when baseball starts
Oct 28, 2011 1:32 AM

Oct 2011
Shorten the season. Cement the Bulls 72-10 season as the best of all seasons.
Oct 29, 2011 9:55 AM

Jun 2009
David Stern has officially cancelled NBA games through November because of another break in labor negotiation talks. With this cancellation, it's unlikely that 82 games will be played if the season starts at all.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7153136/nba-lockout-david-stern-announces-more-game-cancellations
Nov 1, 2011 12:21 PM

Jun 2009
Time for some lulzy news.
Kim Kardashian is filing for divorce from New Jersey Nets forward Kris Humphries after only a little more than 2 months after getting married.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7174182/kim-kardashian-files-divorce-kris-humphries-new-jersey-nets-2-months
Nov 1, 2011 12:56 PM

Aug 2008
BlackKnight27 said:
Time for some lulzy news.
Kim Kardashian is filing for divorce from New Jersey Nets forward Kris Humphries after only a little more than 2 months after getting married.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7174182/kim-kardashian-files-divorce-kris-humphries-new-jersey-nets-2-months
And nobody cares
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 1, 2011 4:08 PM

Jun 2008
Kim Kardashian is a HUGE WHORE....just like Paris.....except Kim is actually good looking.

I've seen that sex tape of hers, she looks like she gives good blowjobs, hopefully Kris Humphries got his fill in those short months....other than that who cares.
Nov 1, 2011 8:37 PM

Jun 2008
FUCK YOU NBA.....just FUCK YOU!!!!

Today should've been opening night and instead there is NOTHING to watch in Sports.

Nov 1, 2011 10:04 PM

Sep 2011
@Alex" Lol. There's always the Dolphins for you, whose record is probably the one and only this season
LastExile_613.png
Nov 1, 2011 10:43 PM

Jun 2008
^Whatever, the Dolphins are actually doing the "Right" thing for TANKING their games so we can get the First pick in the draft...

As for the NBA season being in big jeopardy of being cancelled, I'm not angry just because I'm a fan of a Championship contending team....

I'm a baskeball fan, and even if my team sucked and were the worst team in the NBA, I would still want them and the NBA to go on.

This is just the ultimate punishment for all real NBA fans.
Nov 1, 2011 11:52 PM

Aug 2009
you could always try watching hockey.
Nov 2, 2011 12:18 AM

Jun 2008
SoFarGone said:

LOL...great joke :D

But seriously, at least hockey is MANY times better than Soccer...
Nov 2, 2011 12:30 AM

Aug 2008
JustALEX said:
SoFarGone said:

LOL...great joke :D

But seriously, at least hockey is MANY times better than Soccer...

Yea, because the clock ticks down to zero. LOL
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 3, 2011 4:54 PM

Jun 2009
NBA owners and player representatives are going to meet this upcoming Saturday.

ESPN Article: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7185628/nba-lockout-talks-resume-saturday

This seems like one of the last chances to get to at least come close to a deal. Commissioner David Stern has already stated this it will be impossible to play all 82 games this season. I can't imagine anything more than 30-35 games being cancelled and still being able to have the season. All we can do is cross our fingers...
Nov 5, 2011 10:28 PM

Jan 2008
Yay for a watered down season!
Nov 6, 2011 3:19 PM
Sep 2009
Players need to accept this deal ASAP. If they hold out for that extra 2 percent, they might as well just cancel the whole season and be done with it for the year.
Nov 8, 2011 4:43 PM

Jun 2009
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.