Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 10, 2011 12:14 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, so the MC's name is different from the manga. Oh well.

I'm liking it so far. Small trivial things are changed but nothing big. Animation's good too. This won't disappoint.
Oct 10, 2011 3:26 PM
Oct 2011
What happened to the last topic about this O.o
Oct 10, 2011 3:30 PM

Jun 2009
Stu444 said:
What happened to the last topic about this O.o
It was killed in the rollback~

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 10, 2011 5:53 PM

May 2009
Loved the episode, seemed kinda rushed but thats probably just because I knew what was gonna happen.

What's a rollback?
Oct 10, 2011 5:59 PM
Feb 2011
Scytheboy813 said:
Loved the episode, seemed kinda rushed but thats probably just because I knew what was gonna happen.
What's a rollback?

mal got hacked

so they rolled back time ;0
Oct 10, 2011 8:18 PM

Apr 2011
CRAKZOR said:

mal got hacked
Haha yeah, this thread has been made twice (as far as I know).
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Oct 10, 2011 11:33 PM
Sep 2009
Lots of posts gone recently...
Oct 11, 2011 4:11 AM

Sep 2008
Third time this thread is made. Great.
Oct 11, 2011 7:22 AM

Feb 2011
little different from game
but i will watch until end

APPROVED
Oct 11, 2011 7:27 AM
Mar 2010
Very good episode!!!! I never played game, but this anime seems to have high potential and I'm curious for next episodes..... what we will see????

next to 2nd ep
Oct 12, 2011 5:47 AM

Apr 2011
The second time I wrote:
It was very interesting episode. I love this music (cuz it's like in game) and graphic.
And I can't wait the next episode.
cyrylekNov 26, 2011 5:25 AM
Oct 12, 2011 8:02 PM

Mar 2011
Just saw this earlier at my anime club. I haven't played the games, so I don't really know what's going on. It seems to be pretty cool and looks great. I may continue with this.
Oct 13, 2011 6:09 AM

Aug 2010
I had absolutely zero knowledge about this franchise before watching the first episode, even about the genre. With that being said, I had quite a few WTF moments, but it had great scenes too. I might just enjoy it. 4/5.
Oct 13, 2011 1:29 PM

Oct 2010
okay after watching 1st ep. i felt like having a ps joystick in my hands and i'm about to play :) , it's my 1st impression for the 1st ep. persona 4 the anime is the game itself moving forward automatically , its fine with me that way and i hope if there is no surprises in the future bad ones at least :)
Oct 13, 2011 7:09 PM

Mar 2010
This being based off of a game, I have to admit I wasn't too disappointed. However, there are a lot of things that i can't get past with these kinds of anime. Random spurs of abilities or powers don't click with me. Especially when 98% of the time, it's some random guy who happens to do something (or having something done to him) and then breaks off into this super fun filled adventure. I don't get why this is all i see in modern day anime. Nonetheless, I hope to get good results for this anime. Looking forward to the next!
Oct 14, 2011 5:07 AM

Sep 2009
I just love the concept of making one of my favorite games into an anime(.^_^.)b So I probably will have a high opinion of this series regardless of how it turns out. As far as the pacing of the first Ep. I thought it was nicely done. And it matches the game moment for moment more or less(with the exception of a few unimportant things left out for saving time). I will say I thought that towards the end it was a little iffy for me. But It wasn't a huge difference as far as the story is concerned, so I wont pass judgement until I see how it comes together.
Oct 15, 2011 5:27 PM

Aug 2009
Pretty good. I like that they added the calendar.
Oct 15, 2011 8:52 PM

Apr 2009
Hahahahhaa oh man that move he made was so geeky Pretty interesting though.
Oct 16, 2011 2:39 AM
Jan 2009
K-Shuun said:
CRAKZOR said:
mal got hacked
Oct 21, 2011 5:04 PM

Jun 2008
Personally i was disappointed. I knew this whole thing comes from some RPG Japanese games but all i care about is seeing a good anime. I never played the games and i ain't gonna be a fan simply of love for the games like some other. I want a nice anime and this first episode was kind of a mess.
Mysterious atmosphere with a murder at the start and then suddenly all goes crazy with people falling int TV worlds, monsters and magical swordsmen but everything just seem to be thrown. Nothing is build on any foundation. Scenes jumping from one to another.
the characters seem like strangers too. Not a thing that happen in the first episode helped feel them even a little.

Hoping for something better in the second episode.
Oct 22, 2011 2:44 AM

Apr 2010
seriously... they're gonna show the transitions from day to day...

Its not that great by the looks of things. The games were great no doubt, but they really don't transition it well into an anime. You don't have to COMPLETELY follow the games plot... being an anime means you have to add in a lot more character development (that would normally be left to social links in the game). You could have had some stuff with Dojima at the beginning, or maybe a little more with talking to Chie and Yukkiko rather than just throwing them in.

As a fan of the game I can somewhat enjoy it because I know whats going on, but it really needs work as an anime. Still, its only the first episode, so we'll see.

(also on a side note, I can't watch this without constantly reciting the best jokes from Hiimdaisy's comic... look into a T.V at night and you'll see magical people inside!)
leingodf8Oct 22, 2011 2:52 AM
Oct 22, 2011 3:18 AM

Jun 2008
leingodf8 said:
seriously... they're gonna show the transitions from day to day...

Its not that great by the looks of things. The games were great no doubt, but they really don't transition it well into an anime. You don't have to COMPLETELY follow the games plot... being an anime means you have to add in a lot more character development (that would normally be left to social links in the game). You could have had some stuff with Dojima at the beginning, or maybe a little more with talking to Chie and Yukkiko rather than just throwing them in.

As a fan of the game I can somewhat enjoy it because I know whats going on, but it really needs work as an anime. Still, its only the first episode, so we'll see.

(also on a side note, I can't watch this without constantly reciting the best jokes from Hiimdaisy's comic... look into a T.V at night and you'll see magical people inside!)

Yeah that exactly the feeling i got as an only anime watcher. They don't seem to have focus on making an anime and seem like they are too distract from the fact that it's from a game.
Simply as an anime it was really bad. Just images thrown out of nowhere all the time.
Jumping from one scene to the other and character building is zero. Is like am watching a combined pack of video game clips instead of an anime episode.
Oct 22, 2011 9:33 AM

Jun 2011
Good job deleting my original post in the original discussion, MAL.
Oct 23, 2011 5:14 PM

Aug 2010
OMGOMGOMG!!! finally I get the chance to watch this, after finishing the game I could only wish for an anime and now it's here!!
but to be honest I'm gonna wait till they are done just gotta say I almost had an orgasm when Chie showed up <3
Oct 28, 2011 12:45 PM
Mar 2009
Never played the series before (cause I don't own a PS2...) so I'm pretty excited to watch the series.

Beginning is interesting so far too.
Oct 28, 2011 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
As a gamer who has played endless hours of Persona 4, I was actually very impressed by the first episode of the animation. I enjoyed how the story stayed fairly consistent and the main story was left unchanged.

My only concern are like those mentioned in this thread before my post. I'm worried about the randomness of the character's persona moves and the characters back stories not being too developed enough, but we will see how they handle it.

For the Persona fan, however, it is almost nostalgic seeing classic scenes play out, and hearing old favorite songs blast through your speakers! Can't wait to continue watching!
Oct 29, 2011 12:09 PM

May 2011
I prefer the MC's name as Yuu, I think it sounds better. Anyway on this episode...OMG Yuu is SOOO HOT!!! Especially when he summoned Izanagi and did that evil smirk or when he buttoned down his shirt!!!! Man, I'm gonna give this episode an A++++++. Absolutely FANTASTIC!

I’m just trying to be okay. Some days it’s harder than others. I hide away the most real parts of myself from everyone else. The emotions that I try to escape from. The constant pain I feel. The nightmares that keep me awake at night.

It hurts sometimes... knowing that the world is continuing happily all around me while I continue to drown in alcohol and slowly die inside myself.

Nov 5, 2011 6:16 AM

Oct 2009
Well that sucked. Like really sucked.

Never played the game(s) but tis was very un-refreshing (not a word). Seriously, going into a tv?

Pfft.

'Shadows' that licks? What the fuck?

The main guy looks like Light and he just randomly went super saiyan... Then he proceeds to... strip? What?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2011 1:04 AM

Oct 2010
I haven't played the game nor read the synopsis before watching this, so I pretty much didn't know what to expect. Now that I've watched it, it felt unmemorable imo. :\

Gonna continue watching, though. I hope it gets better.
[insert awesome signature here]
Dec 4, 2011 8:42 AM

Nov 2011
I never played the games but I like the concept of this show...

somehow I hope they can fix the transitions it kinda... wonky I think??

Yanoflies said:

The main guy looks like Light and he just randomly went super saiyan... Then he proceeds to... strip? What?

man I agree with you... I was like WTF!!!! but it is so hot I can live with that XD
Dec 19, 2011 2:11 PM
Jul 2011
Did anyone saw extended version of the episode (director's cut from BD)? With uncuted scenes and extended dialogues it looks more faithful to game events.

It would be great if each of following episodes will be extended.
Dec 26, 2011 11:54 PM

Apr 2009
I enjoyed it but even though I played the game it still went a little too fast in transitions. So much stuff happened in those three days and it didnt really stick with me in the end but I'll watch the next episode.
Dec 27, 2011 12:09 AM

Dec 2010
chromerokudo61 said:
I prefer the MC's name as Yuu, I think it sounds better. Anyway on this episode...OMG Yuu is SOOO HOT!!! Especially when he summoned Izanagi and did that evil smirk or when he buttoned down his shirt!!!! Man, I'm gonna give this episode an A++++++. Absolutely FANTASTIC!

Yeah, seeing Souji Yuu animated is estrogen bait brigade all over my senses. I love the way he unbuttoned his jacket and ebcame the banchou we knew him in game. Totally badass because Izanagi was always my favorite persona. On basis zio is fantastique and a combat knife spear naginata thing is powered by rule of cool.
Dec 29, 2011 5:20 AM

Nov 2011
traittrait said:
Did anyone saw extended version of the episode (director's cut from BD)? With uncuted scenes and extended dialogues it looks more faithful to game events.

It would be great if each of following episodes will be extended.

^THIS

yeah I finally got the BD version of ep 1 & they add certain scenes, it ran smoothly & more faithful to the game

that explain the abrupt transition in ep 12 but it actually kind of genius....
Dec 29, 2011 7:37 AM

Jul 2009
thanks for reminding me to find that BD version~

I really felt like they rushed ep1 a lot, and hopefully the extended version will fix that issue.
Dec 29, 2011 7:17 PM
Mar 2008
I have a question for everyone watching this show. Is it worth it for someone who has played the game?
I previewed the first 10 minutes of this episode to get an idea of how it will go, and what I found was a shot by shot and line by line reproduction of the game. I loved the game, but to me, it seems rather clumsy to follow to the letter a handicapped way of telling a story (a game). So then, do they manage to improve the story and visual design at least a bit? does it add something new? does the main character ever show some semblance of a personality? overall, is it worth watching?
Jan 13, 2012 10:58 AM

May 2008
Pero said:
I have a question for everyone watching this show. Is it worth it for someone who has played the game?
I previewed the first 10 minutes of this episode to get an idea of how it will go, and what I found was a shot by shot and line by line reproduction of the game. I loved the game, but to me, it seems rather clumsy to follow to the letter a handicapped way of telling a story (a game). So then, do they manage to improve the story and visual design at least a bit? does it add something new? does the main character ever show some semblance of a personality? overall, is it worth watching?
There's a lot less fighting, but in return there's more character development than in the game. The story's pacing is odd, but for someone who already played the game this isn't much of a problem.

Overall it's worth watching for someone who played the game. For someone who hasn't, it gets awkward at times.
Feb 9, 2012 8:23 PM

Dec 2010
Wow the main character is kind of cool especially for a high school anime guy main character. Rare.
Mar 28, 2012 1:51 PM

Nov 2011
Starting this today so I hope it'll be good
Mar 28, 2012 4:17 PM
Aug 2007
Finished the game last week and decided to pick this up and I have to say, the first episode is very good.

I love it that they've kept most of the music the same, I love the day transition screen, the story is the same.

I just hope that for future fight scenes they scream out the actual moves every now and then instead of just gesturing.

I can see how it might seem like a mess to anyone who hasn't played the game though. But, personally, I loved the first ep... a lot of fanservice (of the non-ero kind).
May 19, 2012 11:45 PM

Mar 2010
just watched P4/Persona 4 episode 1 . Amazing! So much improvement compare to the other alternative setting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2012 1:11 PM
Jan 2012
*Still playing the game*
But i am dam amazed on how faithful this episode is...
I was practically screaming "Use Zio Dammit!"
Jun 10, 2012 12:46 AM

Sep 2011
Hm... the animation sort of reminds me of Claymore. xD

As for the episode, it wasn't too bad. Could've been better, but it was far from bad. :)
funkotakuJun 11, 2012 12:30 AM
Sep 22, 2012 1:16 PM

Sep 2012
Not as good as I was expecting.

I was grinning madly at the music, the OP, the day changes! But the animation was not great and the art style isn't a good enough mimic of the game's, so it's produced a big uncanny valley effect.

I think Yukiko, MC and Nanako have the best voices. No one else really fits.
Sep 29, 2012 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
Interesting enough. Still haven't finished the game, but I like how this is going.
Dec 29, 2012 2:13 PM
Jul 2018

Opening theme and ending theme in ENGLISH! I like them.
Jan 14, 2013 8:10 PM
Jan 2013
Currently playing the Ps vita version (my 1st of everything). So I decided to see what it's like, so far so good, it just brings more life while playing the game. And I get to know more about the characters.

I'm right about Chie (though her physical appearance looks childish) but yeah She's the one for me (in the game)
Jan 21, 2013 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
I have just started watching this series, and I have never played the game or really know anything about the series. After watching the first episode......it's pretty good. I'm definitely interested in everything that's going on. The character designs and animation are different, but knowing it's based on a video game, I like it.
Apr 5, 2013 1:09 AM

Jul 2011
I guess. I can't wait to see what powers the girls have though!

:D
Apr 16, 2013 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
What happened with the characters, they looked way better in the videogame. They even use the same music (even thought its good), gotta say it atlus was cheap with this one. Also the voices are unfitting
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.