Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2008 4:25 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, I can't believe I was finally able to view this after hoping to do so for a long time now (much like with Genius Party). While it's certainly not going to rank up there with my favorite anime films of all time and I still think Dennou Coil should've been awarded the Grand Prize at the JMAF instead of it I have to say that I was quite enamored with Coo. The story and character development were certainly the strong points of the film, especially when one considers how Coo views humans due to his father's teachings as well as what happened to his father. The portrayal of the media being...well, the media, certainly didn't give the viewer any reason to want to stick up for humanity while Coo was being forced into uncomfortable situations and exploited. Yet, Coo along with the viewer is shown the warmth of a caring family who treat him as a being with feelings as opposed to an attraction at a media circus to drive across the point that not all humans are emotionless husks thirsting for money.

I also liked the subtle changes in the main characters as opposed to unrealistic jumps in their personality. The daughter, Hitomi, is a good example of this. From the start she is rather jealous of Coo and doesn't like him, yet as the film goes along she becomes attached to him due to his kindness to her, leaving her in tears when he is going to depart despite the fact she would've been telling him to leave if he wasn't actually going to. Kouichi's growth is obviously the most illustrated, as is his relationship with Kikuchi that finally seems destined to blossom, only for her to tell him she is moving, right before Coo decides to leave as well. This sort of turmoil probably would've been too much for the bratty Kouichi from the beginning of the film, but the Kouichi who has befriended Coo manages to take it in stride and, while he's still far from being grown-up, it is clear he has taken a big step in that direction.

From an art and animation standpoint I thought the character designs were a bit bland, but at the same time a much more accurate portrayal than most anime. Coo's design is adorable of course and the backgrounds were excellent many times in the film, so it's a nice film to look at even if there's nothing visually that's too memorable. The score was done quite well too and went along with the laid back feel of the film to tie everything together nicely.

So yeah, discuss your thoughts on Coo and maybe help get some more people interested since it seems to have an extremely small amount of viewers currently on MAL.
Jul 25, 2008 8:58 PM

Feb 2008
I downloaded this mostly on a whim, but I think by the end of the movie I was pleasantly surprised. When it first started out I was like, "eww, what am I watching?" but after I got used to it, the movie was really cute. In a strange sort of way.

Aug 25, 2008 7:17 AM
Jun 2008
I think it's a pretty great anime. You don't get to see the 'boy and his animal pal' type shows anymore without it being pumped full of melodrama and sap. And while this anime was about Kouichi, it was Coo who really stole the show and ended up being more rounded and developed than even the human characters.

What I really liked about it though, was that it looked at various different themes quiet subtly. For example, it was almost inevitable that Coo would have been exploited by the media, but the way it was handled was nicely done. You see that Kouichi's dad was sort of forced into feeding Coo to the media since his job was on the line. They never directly spit it out or make it a huge deal, but you see what's weighing against the parents of a child who has a kappa.

I also think the voice-acting was very well done. I rarely hear crying in anime that sounded quite so...believable.
Sep 6, 2009 4:42 AM

Oct 2008
I believe that this is a great anime movie I've ever watch after Brave Story..*putting aside movie made by Studio Ghibli*

This anime somehow has it's own lesson. Like, how a person can changed, how human treated things that is bizarre rather exaggerated, and human beliefs in a living thing such as demon/demon God. It's quite entertaining yet gives you time to think for a while.

I really can't describe well enough how magnificent this story was.
The graphics, the sfx, the seiyuu...all are great!~

5/5 from me !~
心の闇は、もう消えない
Dec 13, 2009 4:15 PM

Jul 2007
"Art and animation in Kappa no Coo to Natsuyasumi is some of the best out there."

really? I mean, seriously? The only character I saw blink during the entire movie was Coo. The animators need lessons on what walking looks like. And the character models certainly aren't anything to be proud of.

That said, the story and script weren't bad for this type of movie, and the backgrounds were detailed throughout.
Jul 12, 2010 8:37 AM
Oct 2008
I've just watched yesterday. And i liked the first half of the movie. It was good until the TV appeared. Then it became so slow that i almost slept. The scenes took so long to end. I liked the Kappa, thats for sure. I had never heard of it before the movie, and it is an interesting creature. Like previously said here, the animation is not good. Some movements were irrealistic, and overall the movie has a mediocre animation. The backgrounds, on the other hand, were amazing. Beautiful.

Not a bad movie.
Jul 20, 2010 7:51 PM

Apr 2009
tehnominator said:

What I really liked about it though, was that it looked at various different themes quiet subtly. For example, it was almost inevitable that Coo would have been exploited by the media, but the way it was handled was nicely done. You see that Kouichi's dad was sort of forced into feeding Coo to the media since his job was on the line. They never directly spit it out or make it a huge deal, but you see what's weighing against the parents of a child who has a kappa.

Yeah I empathized with his father on that part.

Anyway the movie was OK for me. The animation was not as good as the other anime movies at time of it's release back in 2007 and though the story is another cliche for me, I guess it stands on it's own if you give it a chance. It reminds me of another Ghibli, Pom Poko.

Apparently the Kappa-fart is really useful underwater. :D
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 13, 2010 10:55 PM

Jul 2008
To be honest I wanted to see more of that Okinawa guy. He seems like a funny and lovable character. But overall the film was awesome.
Jun 21, 2011 3:03 PM

Aug 2010
Great movie! The story flowed well while maintaining a great BGM!
Nov 25, 2011 8:33 AM
Nov 2011
Really cute movie. Loved every bit of it. 8/10.
Jan 16, 2012 9:10 AM

Jul 2011
actually, i watch this expecting to see some underrated gem, turns out this just an OK movie for me :(

and sometimes i want to punch that Kyouichi kid, he is so annoying especially towards the girl he likes...
Feb 14, 2013 2:19 PM

May 2012
What an amazing movie, my first expectations of this title was not really to big but well I've been proven wrong, it was far greater than my expectations! It had a great stable story and had a nice and sweet ending! Really nice movie in general! 9/10
Feb 4, 2015 9:45 AM

Jan 2015
A very good movie. 8/10
Sep 16, 2015 3:00 PM

Nov 2010
The mom was so cute...
Apr 7, 2019 3:29 PM

Feb 2014
Saw a bit of this in a trailer in the Netflix latinoamerican youtube channel and it looked like one of those cases when they take something that is not an anime (or at least is not on the MAL database) and called it an anime, so I ignored it completely, then due to the anime watching challenge 2019 I had to find something tagged shounen and with "original" as source so I decided to go with this.
Wasn't expecting anything but it turned out to be a very nice story about friendship with lots of tear-jerking moments, a hidden gem if you will.
Oct 11, 2019 3:59 PM

May 2016
Really Touching movie those you see once in a year 8/10

That song at the end was beautiful.
Feb 19, 2020 10:10 AM

Nov 2019
I've discovered another hidden gem
8.5/10 amazing animovie
This film was such a beautiful journey I'm so impressed with how well written it is
Even the fucking dog was well written I'm glad I discovered this :)
Feb 21, 2020 2:42 AM

Jan 2013
That was a nice little movie. A bit sad, a bit funny, and a bit heart-warming. The sound and animations weren't anything special though.

The scene at the beginning, where Kuus father died was surprisingly violent. That exploding crow too. Pretty unexpected from something that seemed so family-friendly.
Jan 10, 2021 9:24 AM

Nov 2017
It reminded me again why i love watching anime. Keiichi Hara's works are so underrated outside japan.
KiryuHanabiJan 10, 2021 9:31 AM

Jun 21, 2022 6:43 AM

Aug 2017
I wonder if anybody caught those few seconds of Takehito Koyasu's voice. Also, was this a Hammond organ playing in the ending song? Quite a surprise in an anime. Great experience
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.