Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2008 11:54 PM

May 2008
Shorts 1(Genius party) 2(Shanghai Dragon) 4(Doorbell) 6(Happy Machine) and 7(Baby Blue) have been released.The reason for 3 & 5 not being released along side these is as follows:
Genius Party episodes 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7. 3 may be out sometime in the near future while 5 might not be. 5, you see, is 20 minutes of pure talking about psychology and philosophy and the TL working on it is preoccupied with Disgaea 3 and Persona 4. So don't hold your breath for that particular episode.

So for now you can discuss what's out, give your impressions, name your favorite, and etc.
alarmedJul 23, 2008 2:06 AM
Jul 23, 2008 12:58 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, finally out! I dont quite understand the reason for #5 not being released, does 'TL' mean transcriber or something? Shit, if fansubbers can do GitS: Innocence, anything's possible.

Anyway, will watch this and report back.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 23, 2008 1:31 AM

Apr 2007
Cihan said:
does 'TL' mean transcriber or something?

I think it means translator...
Jul 23, 2008 1:43 AM

Jan 2008
MasterChief said:
Cihan said:
does 'TL' mean transcriber or something?

I think it means translator...

That would make more sense I suppose. Either way its a mission for both, haha.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 23, 2008 2:42 AM

May 2008
Wow GP does not disappoint.Spoilers ahead for GP and Kaiba.

Ahh yes I liked Genius Party(or whats released of it anyway) very much, looking forward to Beyond even more now!
alarmedJul 24, 2008 4:14 AM
Jul 23, 2008 10:00 AM

Dec 2007
As splendid as it is so far, I am a bit unimpressed. Watanabe and Yoko Kanno always deliver though. However, I wasn't expecting something like Baby Blue from Watanabe. I am not a big fan of Makoto Shinkai's works, so that was a small negative for my opinion Baby Blue; I was truly shocked at how similar it looked/felt to his works. But, there is still much more to come that may impress me.
Jul 23, 2008 10:33 AM

Jun 2008
I saw 'Genius Party', 'Shanghai Dragon' and 'Doorbell', and was impressed of the music, and really especially the cool animation of the first movie. Second was one was also impressive, especially the last scenes with the dragon. Third one was a bit strange, I think I'll have to watch it again to grasp the meaning behind it though I have a good idea what the subject is.
The tow that are subbed will be watched tomorrow, now I'll wait for the finish of the 3rd KnK movie download.
Jul 23, 2008 1:15 PM
Apr 2008
So far, very impressive. Reminds me of the Animatrix (considering it's the same studio doing it...), but it's interesting. I'll be patient and wait on the next few episodes.
Jul 23, 2008 2:24 PM

May 2008
Visually I would go with Happy Machine as my favorite but overall I had to pick Baby Blue. As much as I'm usually skeptical of works that are inspired by Shinkai's style (and I doubt very much that this wasn't) it was nice to see Watanabe trying something different for GP and doing a really good job of it. It's obviously not up to the level of Shinkai's works, but neither is HM up to the level of Kaiba when it comes to Yuasa. Instead both achieve what this set out to do, allow talented directors to experiment while providing animation fans with interesting, high quality short pieces of animation.

I also would just like to add that the whole henshin sequence and subsequent battle in Shanghai Dragon was hilarious.
Jul 24, 2008 3:00 PM
Dec 2007
Wow nice one BSS, all the Genius Party works that were subbed are absolutely outstanding except the first one (called Genius Party incidentally ;)), and some of them are true masterpieces, I can't even choose between Shanghai Dragon, Baby Blue and Happy Machine (though I like Masaaki's work better I think) !

I think I have watched every "sketch movie" released in Japanese animation and this one should be the best I've seen with Manie Manie and Twilight Q (mainly for the Oshii part, the Mochizuki one is not that good), so it's a great performance for Studio 4°C, and I still haven't seen the part I'm most waiting for : Maeda's Gala (really can't wait for it !).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 26, 2008 5:02 AM

Jun 2008
Overall favorite by now is the opener of the series. It's typically Studio 4°C ;)
But I liked all of them, I'm especially interested in this episode with philosophic talk, I hope they release it anytime.
Aug 8, 2008 1:07 PM
Apr 2008
I was difficult to chose between Genius Party and Happy Machine, but I chose Happy Machine because it's Masaaki Yuasa :P

But the five episode (psychedelic animation with philosophy) was really great too! I saw it subtitled in a festival and I hope someone will sub it.
Nov 7, 2008 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
I recently saw Genius Party 1 (the first 7 episodes) in the theatre at the Tokyo Film Festival in Manhattan. Out of curiosity, why are these included as one entry on MAL instead of separate like a lot of the other 4c anthologies?
Nov 7, 2008 5:27 PM
May 2008
Ornette said:
I recently saw Genius Party 1 (the first 7 episodes) in the theatre at the Tokyo Film Festival in Manhattan. Out of curiosity, why are these included as one entry on MAL instead of separate like a lot of the other 4c anthologies?
Might want to voice that opinion here:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=31294&show=0

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 6 Discussion

sniW - Dec 30, 2008

37 by Squin »»
Feb 28, 12:43 AM

» Similar Suggestions?

ScreamInAnguish - Jul 7, 2021

1 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:14 PM

» Limit Cycle Monologe, what are your thoughts?

Ranivus - Mar 20, 2010

5 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:51 PM

» Rank 'em

FauxAzn - Jan 8, 2012

15 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:44 PM

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 24, 2008

61 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 6, 2023 3:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.