3It was OK
7.7%
2Disliked it
2.3%
1Hated it
3.4%
Average 4.5
261 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 22, 2008 3:34 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Probably one of the most heart-pumping and visceral climaxes to an anime ever.

It reminded me of other obscure Japanese movies like Survive Style 5+, etc.

Just dont tell me the whole thing was dreamt up by the yakuza in the car though. I got kinda confused towards the end there.

I also have to disagree with the current MAL reviews for this show that say you shouldnt take it seriously. The fact that live action cult movies immediately come to my mind rather than any anime says a lot about Studio 4C's work here. There is tons of ambition on display in Mind Game, a lot of metaphor and subtext that can be missed while you're too busy laughing at the crazy shit going on.

The incident in the food establishment is purely for laughs, but the whole section inside the wale is really compelling and thought-provoking, and man...that rush outwards is one for the books. I think you can look at it literally if you want, but I saw it more as a thematic rush past the various obstacles and scenery of 21st century living, as Nishi races over various forms of transport and through a freakin' office building, haha.

I love Studio 4C.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 22, 2008 3:36 PM

May 2008
Easily a 10/10 from me, probably my all-time favorite animated movie.

You should check out Kemonozume, directed by the same and equally as great if not better.
Dec 18, 2008 3:13 PM

Sep 2008
1/10, Just so happens this is the worst anime I have ever seen.
Feb 16, 2009 6:17 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
wow! that was really great!! 10/10
this is why i watch anime.
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 8, 2009 3:55 PM

Mar 2008
Cihan said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Probably one of the most heart-pumping and visceral climaxes to an anime ever.

It reminded me of other obscure Japanese movies like Survive Style 5+, etc.

Just dont tell me the whole thing was dreamt up by the yakuza in the car though. I got kinda confused towards the end there.

I also have to disagree with the current MAL reviews for this show that say you shouldnt take it seriously. The fact that live action cult movies immediately come to my mind rather than any anime says a lot about Studio 4C's work here. There is tons of ambition on display in Mind Game, a lot of metaphor and subtext that can be missed while you're too busy laughing at the crazy shit going on.

The incident in the food establishment is purely for laughs, but the whole section inside the wale is really compelling and thought-provoking, and man...that rush outwards is one for the books. I think you can look at it literally if you want, but I saw it more as a thematic rush past the various obstacles and scenery of 21st century living, as Nishi races over various forms of transport and through a freakin' office building, haha.

I love Studio 4C.

Fucking masterpiece, really.
Apr 12, 2009 9:06 PM

Jun 2008
Yeah how can you not take this seriously...well I mean in a different way, seriously...

Fucking masterpiece like everyone else said (except the 1/10 guy who I can't understand/don't feel like putting down since this thread is ollld).

I'm going to rewatch it like 5 times until I get all the metaphors/pictures in my head. I rarely can enjoy a movie on the second go but it was like the exact same experience/euphoria type thing.
hznuApr 12, 2009 9:10 PM
Jun 9, 2009 6:25 PM

Dec 2008
There is so much going on this film it's impossible to understand it entirely the first time you watch it. Awesome.
Aug 14, 2009 5:30 PM

Oct 2008
Mind game is a fcking awesome movie one of the best anime movies ive seen.
Aug 25, 2009 5:11 AM

Mar 2008
Honestly, this movie was a 'wtf' fest for me.

I can't tell if I liked it or not.
Nov 19, 2009 5:24 AM
Nov 2009
Me and my two friends were at the edge of our seats during the whale escape. When the milk thing happened, we screamed "YEAAAAAH!" in unison, it was fantastic.

No other anime has had this effect on me. 10/10.
Nov 20, 2009 1:17 PM

Jan 2009
7/10 the dancing scene was tormenting.
Dec 2, 2009 1:51 AM

Nov 2008
I guess this proves that they smoke weed in Japan too.

I did love the fact that his visualization of God kept changing because his mind had no grasp of what God really looks like.

But it just got boring in the middle and just could not make up for it by the end of it.
Feb 28, 2010 11:22 AM

Jul 2008
I've gotta say that was one of the most heart-pounding experiences I've ever had watching an anime. The climatic scene was phenomenal. I've never seen anything like it. What a fantastic film.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 21, 2010 10:35 PM

May 2009
LOVED THIS SHIT.
Wow, that was one of the weirdest, best movies I've ever seen.
Apr 25, 2010 9:23 PM

Mar 2009
This was a great film. It took a not-so-original message and loaded it with other themes and motiffs, wrapped it up in a surreal, stream-of-consciousness type story, and it all worked. Really good stuff.
May 21, 2010 3:07 PM

May 2008
There aren't words to describe the awesomeness present in this movie

Join my club: The Walking Dead
May 27, 2010 1:54 PM

Jun 2008
The amazing ending run instantly bumped this movie up to one of my favourite anime movies ever.
Sep 15, 2010 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
For some reason, I wasn't quite wowed by the first 30 minutes of the movie, but from Nishi dodging being killed onwards it was one of the most mesmerizing and entertaining anime experiences that I've ever had. The scene when the had escaped from the whale and that track that emphasized the movie's message left me breathless.

My favorite work by Masaaki.
Nov 16, 2010 5:52 AM

Sep 2008
Woah this movie was cool. A mind game indeed.
Nov 19, 2010 1:21 PM

Jul 2008
This movie is fucking brilliant.
Apr 12, 2011 3:14 AM

Feb 2009
A wild and psychedelic journey of insanity and determination like you have never, ever experienced. I simply love Studio 4ºC
Apr 22, 2011 2:53 AM

Oct 2009
This is probably the only anime I'll ever watch that by the end makes me feel like its okay that I'm watching anime at my age. I can't explain the message I got from this movie but it's something warm and uplifting somehow. It's like it's teaching me how to live. The first time I watched it I was immediately put off by the art, and normally that would be enough to drive me away. But something just, I dunno, spoke to me I suppose, and I watched the whole thing. From laughing at the interesting real faces all the time, to crying joyous tears at the end, I don't think anything is quite the same as this on an emotional level.
May 13, 2011 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
Brilliant. What a trip. The imagery is astounding. So glad I watched this!!

9/10 (The only imperfection was the very confusing ending. Don't get me wrong, I like symbolic imagery and open-endings, but it just made me confused.)

Either way though... wonderful....
May 31, 2011 10:33 PM

Jul 2008
I can now die in peace.
Jun 4, 2011 5:49 AM

Aug 2010
loved he imagination but everything else is.....

I can't tell if i like it or not!
Jun 13, 2011 10:09 PM

Nov 2009
I came looking to the forums for some metaphors and explination's and... Hu.

I cannot tell if everyone else is just bsing that they understood anything. Guess that would explain why some people rewtached it. For me I liked the insanity but the whale part, the largest part, was sort of boring at times.

I don't think anyone can deny that the escape was epic though.
Jun 14, 2011 12:32 AM

Jan 2008
helur said:
I came looking to the forums for some metaphors and explination's and... Hu.

I cannot tell if everyone else is just bsing that they understood anything. Guess that would explain why some people rewtached it. For me I liked the insanity but the whale part, the largest part, was sort of boring at times.

I don't think anyone can deny that the escape was epic though.

I just don't like the ending, feels like a cop out, even though...it takes the title of the film and runs with it.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 5, 2011 3:06 PM
Feb 2010
After reading so many positive comments, I have to throw in a harsh one, I honestly thought that Mind Game was a bit boring....
It was thought provoking in some parts, a bit, visually it kind of put me off,
The first time I saw it, the beginning was quite confusing, but it cleared up after watching it the second time.

There is no ending to this story, and its something that should be seen twice.

And the ending makes everthing go kind of "blank", as if nothing had really happened... weird.
Dec 15, 2011 3:18 AM

May 2009
Idk what to say. So umh.... AWESOME.

So uumh..... yea.
Dec 18, 2011 1:31 AM

Apr 2009
I watched the movie once actually years ago on some crap stream. Just now, I've finished it a second time, and I'm not really sure what to think. I think it has potential to replace my favorite anime. Crazy, fresh, and yet provoking, mind boggling, I think I need to give this movie a 3rd or 4th watch before it absolutely soaks in.

Best sex scene ever btw.
Apr 11, 2012 6:01 PM

Nov 2007
it was awesome my mind got fucked over towards the end getting bombarded with was this all just a dream kinda thing

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jul 22, 2012 8:55 AM

Jul 2012
Takumaku said:

Best sex scene ever btw.

My thoughts as well there on the sex scene, probably the best one I've ever seen.

As for the movie, I'll give it a 9/10. The plot might get you confused as it often jumps to several unexplained scenes, but towards the end loads of things become more understandable. Ok, I have to admit, the first 20 mins of it were kind of... classic and nothing special, although as soon as Nishi drops his "dream spirit suit", if you might call it that way, you just get a hunch that this by no means will be a boring movie. Overall, this definitely deserves a re-watch, as it most likely holds various details that are easy to ignore when watching it for the first time. Anyway, Studio 4C made some wicked stuff, I recommend this movie to anyone who's up for some mind-confusing and awesome anime movie.
Dec 27, 2012 10:47 AM

May 2010
Freedom of imagination at its best! This carpe-diem movie is just awesome.
Feb 12, 2013 7:56 AM

May 2012
I really don't know what I've just watched xD something pretty epic that's for sure! The nice and unique art style and the time/god/redo concept that all in a weird but epic tale of unlogic stuff yea that made all together something pretty epic!

Great movie Not sure how I feel about it but I sure enjoyed watching it! 9.6/10
Feb 25, 2013 2:52 PM
Sep 2011
Well, after watching this.... Firstly, it deserves to be commented on. This movie is certainly unique. Masaaki Yuasa is one hell of a creator. The last month I rewatched Tatami Galaxy, finished Kaiba a day ago and I thought that he has nothing else in store to surprise me. And now... I've seen Mindgame. I give this movie a 8/10. Why not a higher rating? The reasons are: 1) Based on personal taste, I found the other two works of Masaaki more thought provoking than this. 2) Somehow it becomes tiresome with all these sudden changes in mood. 3) Because my rating scale is a little bit more strict than that of the norm's (if you see my anime list you'll understand how much an 8/10 means to me). However, it has to be one of the most interesting movies I have seen in my entire life. Seriously, this was a hell of a ride with some beautiful scenes, And it seems that I never seize to enjoy originality. Thanks for reminding me that, Masaaki Yuasa. Please keep widening anime industry's vision and bringing some fresh air in this rotten, cliched industry.
Mar 31, 2013 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
My friend showed me a youtube clip from this of the scene with god changing into all sorts of random things and the first thing that I expected from this movie was that it will be absolute nonsense. But this wasn't nearly as confusing as I expected and while it doesn't take too much thought to decipher what's going on, it's thought provoking in the sense that it makes you think about the messages it gives. It's got a pretty straightforward message and plot, only being embellished with a bunch of crack which added more impact and a pleasant acid trip. Sure, the whole "live your life to the fullest" motif is used often and has a simple plot, but the portrayal of characters and directing really makes me feel things, especially the 5 second scene with the random yakuza dude reuniting with his dead bird... Is it weird that I found that to be the saddest part of the movie?
Jun 23, 2013 11:06 AM

Oct 2010
Overrated artsy fartsy movie. A good message presented fairly well, but it suffered from pretension and added a lot of unnecessary scenes. The end scene at the end with the whale was especially over done. It's still good/decent, but far from being a masterpiece that it's hyped out to be.

7/10
Jul 7, 2013 7:03 AM

Apr 2013
I agree a couple of scenes were dragged out a bit, but they were still enjoyable. I loved that sex scene, the best ever. That dancing scene was super trippy. I enjoyed this movie, this is how it's done right.
Jul 31, 2013 11:38 AM

Nov 2011
Any news on any Yuasa Masaaki BDs, particularly this one (and Kaiba of course)?

It would be great to watch something much cleaner/clearer, most especially since it's a Yuasa Masaaki work. Movie at that.
Aug 6, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm...interesting movie. Animation style wise, it has a weird presentation but I can deal with it I think. Still, I got used to it and was able to go with the flow just a few minutes in after the film began rolling~

I didn't expect the violence at that bar though. Whoa. The secret lair they found was full of weird stuff lol and I had to face palm at some of it. The swimming scene was pretty chill. Dat serene soundtrack.

That kiss/love scene after the one hour mark had so much feelings to it with the way it was portrayed and the music. Such pure epic. That escape scene was also masterpiece worthy too. I'll rate this film a 8/10. But damn, that was one ride I won't forget.
Apr 1, 2014 4:30 PM

Apr 2012
Arcanus said:
Honestly, this movie was a 'wtf' fest for me.

I can't tell if I liked it or not.
I was prepared for a 8/10 but the ending was too "artistic" for me (ie no real solid ending).

so 6/10.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Aug 4, 2014 6:32 PM

Sep 2012
That was interesting to say the least. I have a feeling that this would make for a great AMV.
Aug 20, 2014 8:11 PM
Aug 2011
Am I understanding this correctly when I say that only the old man escaped?
As we saw the bald guy never shot Nishi so all them escaping from the whale was more of a "what if" situation.

When they all leaped out from the whale, the camera zoomed out from the old man's crying eyes and he was the only one lying on a boat right at the very end.

The escape part was so great though- I particularly loved that one bit where Nishi breaks his ankle then he remembers his mother telling him to drink his milk or else his bones wouldn't be strong. Only to see him throw away his milk at the kitchen sink.
Sep 26, 2014 3:06 PM

Oct 2012
parfaited said:
Am I understanding this correctly when I say that only the old man escaped?
As we saw the bald guy never shot Nishi so all them escaping from the whale was more of a "what if" situation.

When they all leaped out from the whale, the camera zoomed out from the old man's crying eyes and he was the only one lying on a boat right at the very end.

The escape part was so great though- I particularly loved that one bit where Nishi breaks his ankle then he remembers his mother telling him to drink his milk or else his bones wouldn't be strong. Only to see him throw away his milk at the kitchen sink.

The part in the bar, Nishis death, his escape from the Yakuza and the stuff in the whale never happened, it was all imagination of that one Yakuza guy... At least I guess xD The story never ended xD
Dec 24, 2014 6:38 PM

Dec 2012
4/10. Dance & sex scene's the best tho.
Dec 24, 2014 7:02 PM

Mar 2010
*Thumbs up* for the dance scene made me feel like i was on something good.
Jan 26, 2015 12:20 AM

Aug 2013
I have a feeling that I am going to forget about this film in T-2 days.
Feb 2, 2015 11:01 AM

Nov 2013
If this movie thinks it's so good that I will watch it again just to understand the characters' motivations and the montages at the beginning and at the end, it is severely mistaken.
As usual with this director, I found some of the scenes great while others feel pretentious and others go on for too long. Overall, it's a fun watch.
Apr 12, 2015 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
I've thought of several one-liner comments to post here, and they all have to do with how much fun this movie would be if youre on drugs / what kind of drugs the director was on while creating this movie.
May 17, 2015 9:06 PM

Jan 2014
...wat. What did I just watch? It was amusing in a wtf sort of way and very artsy (I don't know what else to call pasting live action faces randomly on the characters), but I'll probably never watch it again.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best sex scene ever!!

Oreki777 - Jul 5, 2021

4 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 21, 5:30 AM

» Do the protagonist end together?

theanimefreak95 - Nov 14, 2015

5 by R0ak »»
Apr 1, 2018 12:13 AM

» Masaaki Yuasa's debut film Mind Game getting a Kickstarter

GoldNautilus - Mar 27, 2017

2 by GoldNautilus »»
Mar 30, 2017 8:30 PM

» Mind Game Kickstarter

GoldNautilus - Mar 27, 2017

0 by GoldNautilus »»
Mar 27, 2017 5:05 PM

» Anyone else seen it?

Faust721 - Jan 26, 2007

27 by WAXCHUG »»
Mar 22, 2012 3:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.