Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2011 7:41 AM

Aug 2009
This episode is the first 3 of the original compressed in one. I don't mind it now, although a few key plot points are missing. I didn't truly start to enjoy the original series until sometime through the Hunter exam so I personally hope they keep the fast pace until it reaches that point, but I realize that doing that might alienate many fans.
Oct 2, 2011 7:56 AM

Jun 2011
That was a great watch, though as everyone said, the episode was a compressed version of the old anime. I don't mind it at this point, though i've got to admit i prefer the old version. I hope the pace will get slower at the Hunter examination.
And the Kaito flashback will be shown some other time, don't worry.
Oct 2, 2011 8:03 AM

Jul 2010
shaaaaaaaaaaynee said:
wow, loved the opening ep!!
my first time for anything hxh related. looks very promising 'v'

I think you should watch first original, and then this :P
They skipped so many important dialogues here.
Oct 2, 2011 8:04 AM

Apr 2011
remind of one piece i was lazy to watch the old animation so i waited and 2011 its here !!!!

Oct 2, 2011 8:07 AM

Jul 2009
This all seems very cute, not that I'm against it, it just seems like modernisation?
Still, it's only the begining and I do like the pace.

I'm wondering if this anime is going to complete the series? The manga won't need to end, as there's enough material to last years before ctaching up, but still; a series like this in the long run is worth it IMO.

That fish with legs in the begining just reminded me of the fish from the gross-out manga Gyo (which happens to have an anime coming).

I'm glad I have another new anime of the moment.
5/5.

Oct 2, 2011 8:14 AM

May 2008
It does appear that I am far from alone on finding the BGM used being very unfitting. It sounds too cheerful and not serious to me.

There are several details missing from the manga and from the first series. A tad of a pity for those who have watched the first series or read the manga already, but I guess it wouldn't be a huge concern for those who are new.
Oct 2, 2011 8:34 AM

Aug 2007
Wasn't a bad episode. Though it still irked me that they didn't bother to show the whole Kite and Gon backstory, but if what a user said earlier in the thread is true then I'll forgive them for now since I will be getting the Chimera Ant arc animated. :D
Oct 2, 2011 8:43 AM

Mar 2008
I'm really happy that this one is moving faster than the old one. I love fast paced anime.
Oct 2, 2011 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
That was quite fast.

Hope the nostlgiafags don't nit pick the shit out this because it isn't exactly the same.
removed-userOct 2, 2011 9:47 AM
Oct 2, 2011 8:50 AM

Jul 2010
Like everyone said, this is going pretty fast. This gonna be 26 episodes or something?

Also I miss Gon's old VA, she was perfect for him (Leorio sounds great though).

Other then that though, it was good stuff. Nice to see this show again even if it does come off as a lot more kid-friendly so far.
Oct 2, 2011 8:54 AM

Apr 2011
My first watching Hunter x Hunter and I must say I love this series already. Makes me want to watch the original. I loved both the OP and the ED songs. And Gon is awesome.
Oct 2, 2011 9:12 AM

May 2010
Homestuck said:
Like everyone said, this is going pretty fast. This gonna be 26 episodes or something?

I'm pretty sure that it was announced that this will have 45+ episodes. Gonna find the link sometime though (too lazy right now XD).
Oct 2, 2011 9:24 AM

Mar 2008
It's so... different from the old version... I don't know how to say if I enjoyed it of not, and the truth is that the colors really made me feel a little strange...
And ya, the rhythm is pretty fast.
I miss the old songs... but I liked to see Killua again ♥
Hey, is it just me or Gon's shorts got smaller?

sorry for my english >.<

Oct 2, 2011 9:27 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
OMG not sequel D:
Oct 2, 2011 9:38 AM

Nov 2007
tehe this episode made me all giddy. I missed Gon <3
Oct 2, 2011 9:44 AM

Jun 2011
Haven't seen the the original, but this series looks like fun. Will continue to watch.
Oct 2, 2011 9:45 AM

Oct 2009
This is really super fast paced. They compress 3 episodes in the original. Hope they would slow down. Feels like the original brings more background story and depths of the character.

I'd loved to see gon, kaito flashback. Especially Gon's flashback, his connection with mito.

But still, miss HxH a lot <3 Thanks goodness new anime to rely on. Love Gon's cast, it's by most the one who sounds the most similar with the original. Mito's cast sounds too old.
I don't really like the bgm, much prefer the old one

anyway, it's back ! anime of the year

Oct 2, 2011 9:46 AM

Jul 2010
Never seen this anime before, but the remake came on crunchyroll so I decided to watch it. People say it's not true to the main story, but if I actually like the show alot, I'll go back and watch the original.

So far so good! :3
Oct 2, 2011 9:51 AM

Dec 2010
That was pretty good.
Feb 2010
So, they´re trying to pull a Brotherhood....

I´m impressed it was good, but the Kaito meeting was vital. Hopefully they´ll still show that in a flashback.

The BGM had a sort of RPG feeling which I liked, though the old ost was better. The screamo ending gives me faith in how they will adept the darker part of the story.

Looking forward to the rest!

Jul 2008
I dunno if I'm just hallucinating or something but... didn't they just skip an important part where Gon met a hunter and was the trigger for him to live whale island? my memory is a little vague so I'm not quite sure.... the pace was pretty quick, even though it's been so long it still felt so for some reason. Not that I don't like it though, it was still pretty good, just got a little startled with the quicker pace in all. XD
Oct 2, 2011 10:01 AM

Jun 2010
Good pacing, cool theme music, good animation, and I'm already starting to like the characters, solid first episode overall.
As someone who is just now looking into the hunterxhunter series, I'm impressed.

4/5 for this episode.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Oct 2, 2011 10:07 AM

Jul 2010
vaikepois said:
OMG not sequel D:

wow, you are so fast.It was confirmed long time ago, that it will be remake.
Oct 2, 2011 10:15 AM

Aug 2008
I loved it >_< it's true Kaito scene was important and Mito telling him about Gin...maybe they will have something planned for it later. The art work is still kind of the HxH style, so I loved it:) The op and ending was awesome too ^_^ I like the seiyuu and sound track as well~ I can't wait for the next episode! It's so awesome seeing them coming back~ I loved the old one but this one is really good too >_<
princessnightOct 2, 2011 11:04 AM
Oct 2, 2011 10:20 AM

Jan 2009
the ED is the highlight of the series...oh kaiji ....
Oct 2, 2011 10:30 AM

Aug 2010
Fail...?! or Not

High speed story...

Skip Kaito!!! OMG!!!!!!!!

Heavens Arena in OP?!

I believe: Hunter Exam, Killua house and Sky Tower in 25-30 episodies! Fast!
Its skip much details...
In Old series 50 episodies

My first impression: Old series was better, but this show is Ok
Oct 2, 2011 10:45 AM

Dec 2010
The fast pace was okay, but I did hope that they would elaborate more on the relationship between Mito and Gon. Best moment of this episode was when Hisoka's crotch was glowing in the ending lol.

I'm pretty sure that Gon meeting Kaito will be shown some time later in a flashback, so no need to worry.
Oct 2, 2011 10:45 AM
Oct 2011
I'm one of those in favour of the quicker pace partly because I'm sick of recommending it to others with the proviso that they stick it out until they reach the hunter exam proper. At the current rate and based on the preview of episode 2 it seems as though we will be reaching the exam proper come episode 3.

The thing that made the biggest impression on me though? Hisoka's glowing crotch! I can't belive that got such a prominent place in the closing credits! I love it!
PipestrellOct 2, 2011 12:08 PM
Oct 2, 2011 10:54 AM
Nov 2008
It was okay. The original is a lot better but this is good enough if you don't like old animations.
VA's were quite good and likeable, except Mito who sounded like my grandma. Gon's voice could be a bit warmer to reflect his personality more but this isn't bad either. Leorio was spot-on.
Animation was good, but I like Cel-shaded a lot so I can't say that's something that would prompt me to pick this over the original.

If they slow down and won't be afraid to show the violence (ripping hearts out and tearing heads off), it will be fine.

They can always show Kite later in a flashback so that's alright.
I don't know why Kurapika has black eyes, is she wearing contacts already?:D Minor detail but a bit annoying.

How they show off Hisoka and Killua and how good their VAs are will be the deciding factor for me.
The BGM was horrendous, they have to improve on that. Throw that terrible orchestra piece in the trash please. Doesn't fit at all.

Overall it surpassed my (measly) expectations for a first episode.
Oct 2, 2011 11:01 AM

Apr 2008
Loved it! Was kinda disappointed they cut out the Kaito and Gon scene but I can deal with it. Noticed it was going at a pretty fast pace but that too doesn't bother me (the sooner we get to Killua the better :D) The voice acting for Gon, Leorio and Kurapica turned out better than i expected.Can't wait till they introduce Killua and I hope his voice actor can pull him off just as great as the others (same goes for Hisoka). :3
MischiefMaverickOct 2, 2011 11:07 AM

Oct 2, 2011 11:21 AM

Dec 2009
Syb3rStrife said:
Loved it! Was kinda disappointed they cut out the Kaito and Gon scene but I can deal with it. Noticed it was going at a pretty fast pace but that too doesn't bother me (the sooner we get to Killua the better :D)

Totally agree. And i'm dying for Killua. <3
Even though some scenes were left out, i'm amazed with the episode quality, i just can't get enough!

I think Leorio's voice fits him, but i hated Kurapika's voice.

Forgot to add: I was the whole episode smiling. And the ED is so damn awesome, i love the song and those scenes:
LiinahOct 2, 2011 11:46 AM
Oct 2, 2011 11:41 AM

Nov 2010
I loved it actually.
Oct 2, 2011 11:47 AM

Mar 2011
I enjoyed the swift pacing. If only more shounen were in the habit of adapting two+ chapters per episode. This week's One Piece episode had less than one, with two missing scenes from the corresponding chapter.

re: the missing scene
Oct 2, 2011 12:10 PM
Feb 2010
It had QUALITY graphics.
Oct 2, 2011 12:13 PM

Dec 2009
whoisfriend said:
From a first time watcher (next to no experience with the manga or anime apart from glimpses here and there) this was pretty solid. It gave me a good feel for the characters and setting. There wasn't too much to separate this from the rest of the shonen pack, so I'm hesistant to keep watching, but I did like Yu Yu Hakusho, so I will.

A solid 7 out of 10 from me.
agreed
Oct 2, 2011 12:25 PM

Jun 2010
I really liked the original version and the manga. This reboot seems s bit childlish and I hope it won't get worse. The original anime and the manga have several hardcore moments and I would like them to be here as well without lowing the original atmosfere. Here everything looks pretty, funny, happy, when it is not really. I'll see at least five eps. and then decide if I keep watching this...

OK ep.
Oct 2, 2011 12:28 PM

Nov 2010
I didn't watch the original yet but I am very impressed by the first episode. A light heart shonen that does look like it has room to portray darker struggles without betraying the feel of the show. In particular I really love the music although the ending for me personally fucking sucks. American pop metalcore is bad enough as it is and the Japanese do not do it any better.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Oct 2, 2011 12:29 PM

Mar 2009
thought it wasgoing to be a disastrous, turned out to be better. The drawing was good and they left more or less the same style so it gives 50% of the HxH atmosphere. BUT! The seyuu cast is awful....ugh hw could they change Kurapika's seyuu to THAT...Leoirio was good though, figures :D.
Wanna hear how Killua's VA will perform, hopefully he'll try to change her voice A LOT....

Oct 2, 2011 12:34 PM

Feb 2011
- Good OP/ED
- Good performance from all main character seiyuu (except Killua or Hisoka since they still hasn't introduced yet. ButMito-san, urghhh sounds to old)
- Artwork isn't bad, but Animation seems mediocre (OP/ED animation is good though)
- BGM? Wutt?! Am I watching some kind of kiddy show here?

And last about "where the hell is Kaito?". I think they shouldn't missing the introduction. I know originally in Manga Kaito just introduced in flashback, but that still an important part since it's the key for Gon to know about Hunter world and his Father.

Well, They still have another chance for introduction though. Maybe sometimes when Gon shows his Father's Hunter License or something like that.

Overall, not bad for the first episode. They more similar to Manga than the original series, Even the first prologue is taken from first page of Manga. But, of course that exclude Kaito's part.
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Oct 2, 2011 12:35 PM

Dec 2009
alright ive compared the pacing with the original and it looks like the original will actually be faster paced cause right now the remake is slated for at least 45 episodes which should bring the series to the end of the Heavens Arena arc. when you compare that to the original which the heavens arena arc ended on episode 44 and if you subtract the 3 episodes of fillers its really 41 episodes.
also gons meeting with kite wont be brought up till its relevant meaning the start of the ant arc
Oct 2, 2011 12:53 PM

Mar 2009
I thought it was an awesome remake.

I've never actually watched the original series, but I've read the manga up through volume 11.
And, yes they did leave out some pretty vital info, but maybe they'll bring it in at the appropriate time.

I'm sure they assume most people have watched the original or read the manga, but they really should give some more bg on Gon, if you hadn't seen/read the originals you wouldn't have as much love for Gon and his connection with nature/maturity.

But, overall I think it was great, and should live up to/surpass the original.
Hopefully they're just taking the FMAB approach and trying to speed up to when the real fun starts!

Urahara Out!!
Oct 2, 2011 12:53 PM

Nov 2010
Watching the first episode of the original as well. I think I will try to think of the new series as a different entity from the original because as it stands I like both.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Oct 2, 2011 12:54 PM

Aug 2011
THIS IS EPIC!!!
The animation is good, the voice acting is good, the music is fantastic aswell. It seemed like they did the whole wanting-to-become-Hunter-fase faster than in the original series.

Does the manga take long to differentiate from the original anime? Because Hunter x Hunter 2011 follows the manga right?

Can't wait for next week now ><.
Oct 2, 2011 12:54 PM

Dec 2007
Well, considering the next episode preview already showed the Rat Foxes from episode 5 of the original series, it's preposterous to think that it'll be slower paced. I'd wager that we'll be at the Celestial Tower Arc by episode 30 at most.
Oct 2, 2011 12:59 PM
Nov 2008
memphis407 said:
alright ive compared the pacing with the original and it looks like the original will actually be faster paced cause right now the remake is slated for at least 45 episodes which should bring the series to the end of the Heavens Arena arc. when you compare that to the original which the heavens arena arc ended on episode 44 and if you subtract the 3 episodes of fillers its really 41 episodes.
also gons meeting with kite wont be brought up till its relevant meaning the start of the ant arc

They need to show it sooner, bc
Unless they decide to cut that too of course.

Derpyderp said:
THIS IS EPIC!!!
The animation is good, the voice acting is good, the music is fantastic aswell. It seemed like they did the whole wanting-to-become-Hunter-fase faster than in the original series.

Does the manga take long to differentiate from the original anime? Because Hunter x Hunter 2011 follows the manga right?

Can't wait for next week now ><.

The original anime does not divert from the manga at all. So I don't really know what you are getting at.
And this show would fail a 100% if they didn't follow the manga so...

I think the original will still be more faithful overall, seeing what they did with the first ep. But we will see in the next couple ep.
MalestelOct 2, 2011 1:05 PM
Oct 2, 2011 1:18 PM

May 2009
i rewatched the original 3 times cuz i heard of the remake and i have to say...i cant stand kurapica's voice =n= cant stand it...

but for some reason i cant stop staring at kurapica's eyes .__.
mukuro-sama♥ hibari-sama♥fon-sama♥
My top wanted things:
1. Yato umbrellas!!
2. Mukuro's left eye
3. LEON!!! (KHR)
Oct 2, 2011 1:20 PM

Dec 2009
Malestel said:
memphis407 said:

They need to show it sooner, bc
Unless they decide to cut that too of course.

your right i forgot about that part they said they wanted to shorten the time between appearances of kite cause if they introduce him in ep 1 he wont come up again till around ep 100 unless they do a flash back when he shows the hunter licence to satotz but since they didnt show gon with that hunter licence they might skip it

Malestel said:

I think the original will still be more faithful overall, seeing what they did with the first ep. But we will see in the next couple ep.

the remake is supposed to follow the manga to the tee except for the toning down on gore and toning down of hisoka's perverted blood lust for gon instead he will desire gon purely for fighting
Oct 2, 2011 2:04 PM
Nov 2008
memphis407 said:

the remake is supposed to follow the manga to the tee except for the toning down on gore and toning down of hisoka's perverted blood lust for gon instead he will desire gon purely for fighting

:( that's sad. Hisoka shouldn't be touched :(. He has so many awesome moments I can't even count them. A villain you can actually like with a simple motive but plenty of misteries.
Oct 2, 2011 2:08 PM

Dec 2009
Malestel said:
memphis407 said:

:( that's sad. Hisoka shouldn't be touched :(. He has so many awesome moments I can't even count them. A villain you can actually like with a simple motive but plenty of misteries.

i agree but since it airs on Sunday morning cant be help they only thing their supposed to change is his blood lust from a really perverted blood lust where he gets off on watching gon to just a blood lust of him wanting to fight gon
Oct 2, 2011 2:14 PM
Dec 2007
Really nice first episode, I didn't really remember this part of the manga since it's been so long but that was great anyway. Really dynamic pace and direction plus very good voice acting and a Galneryus OP (hope their new album will be better than this by the way, it felt kinda strange for a Galneryus song), so I'll probably watch the rest of the series. Waiting for Kirua now.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Yesterday

50 by Merve2Love »»
41 minutes ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Apr 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.