Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2011 9:28 PM

Jul 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pinch me because I must be dreaming!

Great to have the old gang back!

Oct 1, 2011 9:30 PM

Apr 2008
Hmm, first time watching this series. Animation looks really good, characters looke to be really fun to watch, looks pretty good for a shounen series. Beginning was kinda weak though.

Keiji Fujiwara voicing a main character = will watch for another 5 eps. First series had 62 eps, so at least i don't have to worry about length somewhat.
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Oct 1, 2011 9:30 PM

Aug 2008
Good first ep. I'm not a fan of the fast pace, but I'm fine with it here as the original started real slow. Hopefully it slows down from now on though.

OP and ED were great, BGM was not.
Oct 1, 2011 9:36 PM

Oct 2007
From a first time watcher (next to no experience with the manga or anime apart from glimpses here and there) this was pretty solid. It gave me a good feel for the characters and setting. There wasn't too much to separate this from the rest of the shonen pack, so I'm hesistant to keep watching, but I did like Yu Yu Hakusho, so I will.

A solid 7 out of 10 from me.

Oct 1, 2011 9:37 PM

Dec 2007
webkid94 said:
Hmm, first time watching this series. Animation looks really good, characters looke to be really fun to watch, looks pretty good for a shounen series. Beginning was kinda weak though.

Keiji Fujiwara voicing a main character = will watch for another 5 eps. First series had 62 eps, so at least i don't have to worry about length somewhat.

Actually it's 92. The OVAs are continuations of the main story.

So this is what modern anime looks like without tons of CG? Pretty cool. The ED is so good.
Oct 1, 2011 9:41 PM

Dec 2007
Really loved that Madhouse tried to stick to the same art-style as the first series. I did laugh at how quickly the pace moved. I'm pretty sure we went through episodes 1-3 with this first episode, and we didn't even get to see Gon's animal friends on Whale Island or anything of the sort.

EDIT: Actually, they just skipped over Gon's backstory with Kite/Kaito, no?
Oct 1, 2011 9:44 PM

May 2011
AirmanJustice said:

Pinch me because I must be dreaming!

Great to have the old gang back!

My thoughts exactly! xD
As expected of Madhouse, the artwork is beautiful!
The OP gave me a very different feeling about the series. o.o

I really enjoyed the voice acting for Gon and Kurapika but I am having hard time getting used to Mito. ^.^; I feel that Gon's background was a bit rushed but I do like how they included the introduction from the manga.
I am unsure about the soundtrack because the original was pretty unique. The character designs seem great and I just love how Hisoka stands out just from the ED. XD Speaking of the ED song... wow!

Can't wait for next week!! ^o^
Oct 1, 2011 9:48 PM

Aug 2011
llamaben said:
Good first ep. I'm not a fan of the fast pace, but I'm fine with it here as the original started real slow. Hopefully it slows down from now on though.

OP and ED were great, BGM was not.

I feel the same. I hope it slows down or has quite a few flash backs to make up for it. OP and ED were great as well.

OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quR1zHRIxho

ED: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xsvvcSoUmo
Oct 1, 2011 9:49 PM

Jun 2008
i hope it continues past the point where the first one ended, watching this first episode has made me want to download the first one again.

[edit]

just to mention i think this series stands above most of the other fighting type shounen anime out right now NOT including one piece, good series that was cut to short because of the manga's hiatus at the time.
mrSmilesOct 1, 2011 9:56 PM
Oct 1, 2011 9:54 PM

Sep 2010
Missed this a lot. I'll be waiting for Kurapika who was voiced by none other than, Sawashiro Miyuki.
Oct 1, 2011 9:56 PM

Apr 2010
Looking like they are skipping past all the original fillers, which is good. Dragon Ball Kai proved how much more watchable a show is without the fillers

Oct 1, 2011 9:56 PM
Jun 2011
good animation
is it just me or gon was smaller in this remake?
Oct 1, 2011 10:09 PM
Nov 2009
certainly interested enough to keep watching, never saw the original series but after 10 years they should have enough material to keep this show going for awhile, though i hear the manga went on hiatus alot.
Oct 1, 2011 10:10 PM

Dec 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Looking like they are skipping past all the original fillers, which is good. Dragon Ball Kai proved how much more watchable a show is without the fillers

I'd say more that they skipped some moderately-vital scenes under the assumption that the viewer was already familiar with the source material and/or first series.

I'm not sure if you've seen the first series and read the manga, but it's one of the most faithful shounen adaptations ever made with only 1 (maybe 2?) actual filler episodes.

It's kind of like how FMA Brotherhood blew past the 25 or so canonical episodes in about 10.
Oct 1, 2011 10:13 PM

Mar 2009
This really makes me miss the BGM of the original. And the pacing. And the OP. I swear we were just flying through the story.
Oct 1, 2011 10:26 PM

Oct 2009
Nostalgia...

Best show of the season? Fuck no, best show of the year.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2011 10:26 PM

Apr 2010
Meddigo said:
RyanSaotome said:

I'd say more that they skipped some moderately-vital scenes under the assumption that the viewer was already familiar with the source material and/or first series.

I'm not sure if you've seen the first series and read the manga, but it's one of the most faithful shounen adaptations ever made with only 1 (maybe 2?) actual filler episodes.

It's kind of like how FMA Brotherhood blew past the 25 or so canonical episodes in about 10.

Well I never watched the original, but after this first episode I skimmed some of the original episodes to see how far it got, and a lot of the stuff they didn't adapt was just playing with animals and hanging out in a town, and all that stuff looked like filler to me

Oct 1, 2011 10:29 PM

Nov 2006
THAT WAS
SO GOOD
THE BEST
sdflkDSJFLKFJ
Oct 1, 2011 10:36 PM

Dec 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Meddigo said:
RyanSaotome said:

Well I never watched the original, but after this first episode I skimmed some of the original episodes to see how far it got, and a lot of the stuff they didn't adapt was just playing with animals and hanging out in a town, and all that stuff looked like filler to me

I can see why you think that, but I assure you if you read the manga, all that stuff is in there.

I can understand why people like the quicker pacing (heck, I enjoyed this episode a great deal) and I personally didn't fall in love with the original series until the middle of the Hunter Exam. Nonetheless, that stuff establishing Gon's cheerful character and his close afinity with nature and in particular wild animals (and particularly his first encounter with the Hunter Kite/Kaito as well as Mito telling him that Ging actually didn't abandon him, she herself made Ging leave) is pretty vital to establishing his character I think.

That last part in particular felt really missing, as it somewhat mis-characterizes Gon's relationship with his father, as well as Mito-san cause Gon knew she was lying when she said that Ging abandoned him.
MeddigoOct 1, 2011 10:40 PM
Oct 1, 2011 10:46 PM

Oct 2009
Agreed.

Whilst this isn't so bad for those who're familiar with the original manga and first adaption: I also think that Gon X Kaito scene was important.

My thoughts exactly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2011 10:51 PM
Jun 2010
Loved it. The BGM wasn't that good though. The ending song is cool but doesn't really seem like a good fit for a shounen like this. The opening fit it well and i liked it but the bgm was kind of lame. Both the original and the remake don't really have great BGM but I'd say that the BGM in the original was better. The BGM for the part where Gon jumps and saves that guy sort of sounds like sailor music and it's even used when showing what the next episode is going to be. The BGM for the fight between Leorio and Kurapica was okay but could of been better. Overall I love the anime so far, can't wait to see Killua and Hisoka especially so I can see how much they've watered down his pervertedness. :) I hope they at least put Gon's meeting with Kaito in as a flashback or something because that's one of the most important parts of the series, especially because it has a lot to do with the future episodes.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Oct 1, 2011 10:56 PM

Oct 2009
A flash back would be good. I mean, they can't really just reanimate everything the same way the first adaption did. Else there'd be no point in this reanimation and a continuation would have done better.

I also can't wait to see Killua, gg. Mariya Ise as Killua? :o
Oct 1, 2011 10:59 PM

Dec 2009
ok i hated the OP it sucked the origanal was so much better at least the 1 for the dub i dont know if it was same for subs, it let you know you were watching something special.
also dont like the way they skipped gon x kaito thats important actually really important later on in the story, they also skipped gon's chillhood and mito-sans past. in the original gon wasnt as childish and they didnt convey the love between gon and mito very well.
in all if your new to the story you should watch the originals first 2 episodes it gives so much more depth to the characters

ill give this anime up through the ant arc to decide if i like it or not. ha ha
if youve read the manga youll get the joke for the rest of you oh well remain left out
Oct 1, 2011 10:59 PM

Jul 2009
Fairy Tail, HxH is coming for your seat.

Man that was a great episode.
Oct 1, 2011 11:03 PM

Dec 2007
Fairy Tail never had supplanted HxH o_0
Oct 1, 2011 11:04 PM

Oct 2010
Watched! Thoroughly excited, and I can't wait to meet Hisoka again. He is my top favorite anime villain of all time! I loved the creepy way he'd say "Gon" and his crazy laugh, which I could imitate all too well. I see the voice actor is different, I hope I won't be too disappointed with the differences.

Opening theme was like being thrown back into early 90's anime music, which a touch of modern influences thrown in. Ending was more enjoyable. I'm not yet so hot on the soundtrack. What appears to be Gon's theme sounds very dragonquest-ish at first, but then I realized it sounds even more like Pop-Eye music, if Pop-Eye was born in a Dragonquest universe. And there was also that vaguely Pirates of the Carribean rip-off bgm during the storm scene. Oh well maybe it'll grow on me.
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Oct 1, 2011 11:06 PM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:

Quality-wise, of course not.

But let's face it, FT is much more popular than HxH as of now. But let us not get worried, FT will just die off now that the Big 3 candidate HxH is here.
Oct 1, 2011 11:12 PM

Mar 2009
*likes*
Oct 1, 2011 11:12 PM

Oct 2009
Are they going for original? After you know... the Ant Queen Arc.

Can't wait till see my Biscuit-chan~
Oct 1, 2011 11:13 PM

Jan 2011
I've never read Hunter x Hunter or watched the old show...but this was awesome!!! I loved the first episode and am excited to watch more!!
Oct 1, 2011 11:14 PM

Dec 2007
WoofSadaharu said:
Meddigo said:

But let's face it, FT is much more popular than HxH as of now. But let us not get worried, FT will just die off now that the Big 3 candidate HxH is here.

Err? Look at the most recent rankings in Japan.

HxH with 900k+ copies sold and Fairy Tail with 400k+. More than double for Gon and Friends.
Oct 1, 2011 11:17 PM

Dec 2009
SerenityB3128 said:
I've never read Hunter x Hunter or watched the old show...but this was awesome!!! I loved the first episode and am excited to watch more!!

dude watch the first 2 of the original cause they left alot out especially the meeting of gon and kaito
Oct 1, 2011 11:21 PM

Jan 2008
Other than the incredibly face paced Episode 1 (which I did not mind at all), why is this series so freaking awesome even though it's just a remake?

Can't wait for Killua.

That ED video/song is tight.
Oct 1, 2011 11:22 PM

Dec 2009
up date the status to airing
Oct 1, 2011 11:23 PM

Apr 2010
memphis407 said:
SerenityB3128 said:

dude watch the first 2 of the original cause they left alot out especially the meeting of gon and kaito

They obviously left them out for a reason... its better to just watch one series instead of watching two and getting confused at whats shown and not shown. It'll likely just be brought up later in this new version if its important.

Plus 2nd episode is completely useless to watch since I heard the city is completely filler.
RyanSaotomeOct 1, 2011 11:26 PM

Oct 1, 2011 11:30 PM

Feb 2008
Meddigo said:
WoofSadaharu said:
Meddigo said:

HxH with 900k+ copies sold and Fairy Tail with 400k+. More than double for Gon and Friends.

Um why are you looking at the total numbers, HxH is 8 years older than FT so of course the total is bigger. lol...
Oct 1, 2011 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
Too awesome.

Oct 1, 2011 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
RyanSaotome said:
memphis407 said:
SerenityB3128 said:

They obviously left them out for a reason... its better to just watch one series instead of watching two and getting confused at whats shown and not shown. It'll likely just be brought up later in this new version if its important.

what they left out is unimaginably important mito and gons past leaving out that mito is gon's ant and how important she is to him cause she was the one to raise him. they also left out gon meeting kaito, kaito is gons father's apprentice and he tell gon that his father is the greatest hunter in the world and he is searching for his master to prove his self , he is the one to give gon his passion to become a hunter and find his father, and when kaito leaves he gives gon his fathers hunter licence.

edit: your right 1 and 3rd ep the first gives you more detail into gon mito and ging and why gon wants to become a hunterplus it has the meeting of gon and kaito also explains why gon had to catch the master of the lake and the 3rd episode is this first ep but i think it was done so much better
storm_king1Oct 1, 2011 11:37 PM
Oct 1, 2011 11:33 PM

Apr 2010
memphis407 said:

what they left out is unimaginably important mito and gons past leaving out that mito is gon's ant and how important she is to him cause she was the one to raise him. they also left out gon meeting kaito, kaito is gons father's apprentice and he tell gon that his father is the greatest hunter in the world and he is searching for his master to prove his self , he is the one to give gon his passion to become a hunter and find his father, and when kaito leaves he gives gon his fathers hunter licence.

I understand that may bug you, but we're watching the remake, not the original version. Everything doesn't have to go the way the original version did. As I stated, if its important, they'll bring it up.. probably as a flashback since that makes more sense for pacing then beginning the series with a boring scene.

Oct 1, 2011 11:41 PM

Oct 2011
They f***King ruined it.....the music is SHIT...why? why can't they just keep the original score or make a similar one? f**** change..and where the hell is kaito? and why the f**k is the captain's assistant an idiot? he was a dick in the original anime,,he was the one picking on examiners having them kicked out...and the Big fish is red not blue >.< but i'm ok with that as long as they change the MUSIC
Oct 1, 2011 11:48 PM

Apr 2010
Sigh... seems I'll have to skip these episode topics if people are just going to be griping about every little thing being different. Its like people don't realize what a remake is... If you can't stand things being different, just go watch the original then.

Oct 1, 2011 11:51 PM

Oct 2010
I wish they continued where the OVA left off. I guess im going to have to wait a year for it to catch up. So i'll hold up watching it until it catches up with the OVA.
Oct 1, 2011 11:52 PM

Dec 2009
RyanSaotome said:

I understand that may bug you, but we're watching the remake, not the original version. Everything doesn't have to go the way the original version did. As I stated, if its important, they'll bring it up.. probably as a flashback since that makes more sense for pacing then beginning the series with a boring scene.

go watch episode 1 of the original or read chapter 1 of the manga the things they left out are of critical importance to the story it isnt something you can bring up later the events of chapter1 or ep 1 of the original anime will play a major role through out the story also they didnt even convey the type of person gon is in this remake. as of now he is nothing more than a 12 year old brat but in the original he is so much more
also the relationship between mito and gon was completely ignored which is the defining morals and type of character gon is
Oct 1, 2011 11:53 PM

Oct 2008
Over hyped much? Wasn't all that great.
Oct 1, 2011 11:55 PM

Dec 2009
RyanSaotome said:
Sigh... seems I'll have to skip these episode topics if people are just going to be griping about every little thing being different. Its like people don't realize what a remake is... If you can't stand things being different, just go watch the original then.

dude were not complaining over small stuff they left out major pieces of the plot.

IchigoMayo said:

thats because the manga and original were so much better thats why there was such a hype but they completely fumbled it. for you over hyped for us who follow the series its a betrayal
storm_king1Oct 2, 2011 12:00 AM
Oct 2, 2011 12:11 AM
Nov 2009
x5exotic said:
They f***King ruined it.....the music is SHIT...why? why can't they just keep the original score or make a similar one? f**** change..and where the hell is kaito? and why the f**k is the captain's assistant an idiot? he was a dick in the original anime,,he was the one picking on examiners having them kicked out...and the Big fish is red not blue >.< but i'm ok with that as long as they change the MUSIC

Totally agree. The music sucks hairy ass.
Oct 2, 2011 12:12 AM

Dec 2007
Echelon said:
Meddigo said:
WoofSadaharu said:
Meddigo said:

Um why are you looking at the total numbers, HxH is 8 years older than FT so of course the total is bigger. lol...

Did you hit your head really hard or something, or do you just not understand how these rankings work?

Fairy Tail vol. 28, which was released in August 2011, sold 400,000+ copies.
Hunter X Hunter vol. 29, which was released in July 2011, sold 900,000+ copies.

They are both almost equal as far as content goes. And with all the hiatus that Togashi has taken over the years, one can only assume that would cause him to lose readers.
Oct 2, 2011 12:14 AM

Aug 2008
memphis407 said:
RyanSaotome said:

dude were not complaining over small stuff they left out major pieces of the plot.
As Ryan said you don't know if it hasn't been left out yet, it could simply have been relocated.

IchigoMayo said:

thats because the manga and original were so much better thats why there was such a hype but they completely fumbled it. for you over hyped for us who follow the series its a betrayal
Lol no. If they had made it exactly the same as the original first episode with new animation even more people would be calling it average and over hyped.
Oct 2, 2011 12:25 AM

Nov 2007
Well you can't satisfy everyone. However, I personally really liked it!

It had a completely different feel than the first series, so I may really watch it now. The beginning episodes of the previous series were really quite bland, so I am very glad they just aimed for the most important parts. I know it may annoy some people because of that, but I don't miss them much.

I also am really satisfied with the music, on the contrary with the fans of the first series who posted here. The sweeping orchestral soundtrack was really pleasant to listen to. It's a very different style from the first series, but it's just as solid.
The animation was really pleasing to the eye as well.

The whole episode really brought to mind One Piece. Colorful, fun, adventurous. If that's the direction they go, I am more than happy to see where this alternate take ends up in.

CookieBunOct 2, 2011 12:44 AM
Oct 2, 2011 12:26 AM

May 2010
I remembered the original series but haven't finished.

But will keep track on this unless it gets bad.

Paul said:
Too awesome.

They're also the one who sang Kaiji S2 OP. Yeah, it's good. :D
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Yesterday, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.