Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2019 12:44 PM
Jul 2014
OMGHKSDFKS the way Ippo dodged the White Fang O0O shook is an understatement at how impressed and proud I am of Ippo!

YAY Congrats Ippo on your victory!!

lol taking the winner out on a stretcher instead lmao

I'm happy Ippo's mom is looking healthier and overall in better shape. It's nice that Vorg went to go see Ippo in the hospital and I think it was beneficial for him to talk to Ippo's mother too! I'm glad he found a bit of solace and found his love for boxing through fighting Ippo! Very wholesome message at the end ^_^

I'm excited for Ippo now that he has a chance at getting the Featherweight belt!!! Go Ippo GO!!!
Feb 18, 2020 10:10 AM

May 2015
Volg should won this. Ippo winning every match when he is near deadbrain is cheap.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 14, 2020 8:58 AM

May 2016
If it weren't for Ippo putting up a fight against him unlike any other, Volg wouldn't have had the the willpower to go on with the match the moment he got knocked down by that spectacular punch at the 4th round. Him lasting for the majority of the 5th Round and going as far as to stand up and barely raise his hands before falling back down at the end of the 10-count after getting one of the most painful punches Ippo's ever thrown was nothing short of amazing as well. It's funny that the stretcher that was supposed to be for Volg ended up being Ippo's ride out of there.

Mama Makunouchi getting mad at the guy who beat up her son like that would've been understandable but she treated him with such hospitality and kindness that the way it impacted Volg made some tears well up in my eyes. I hope that his mom's doing well and it looks like Date's really excited to finally be able to fight someone who's truly worthy of having a chance at his belt.

Apr 19, 2020 5:41 AM

Nov 2018
n10sity said:
This episode is a prime example what prevents Hajime no Ippo from becoming a very good or maybe even great series for me instead of just being a good one. Ippo has yet to experience true loss. Vorg had more talent, more desire from having a better purpose to win and near the end of the match even more guts than Ippo. Yet Vorg still lost. And Vorg isn't the first opponent to have a better reason to win. I find myself cheering for Ippo's opponents instead of Ippo. Ippo is suppose to be portrayed as the underdog. I don't buy what he is selling because Ippo has won every match he has ever been in really. I don't count his first spar because that was the first time he ever even put on gloves. His first real match was after that in his second spar with Miyata and he won against someone he had no logic reason to win against. I need Ippo to taste defeat. I need him to go through some emotional hardships, to have setbacks and defeats then come back to overcome them. Miyata's journey has been much more believable and much more inspiring than Ippo the Invincible's journey so far.

I know I'm a bit late, but that's exactly what I was thinking.Characters are great, but the way he always wins and prepares for any opponent of a higher level is such a clilche shounen way.His stamina seems infinite at times and his power of will carrying him through so much things...
Hajime no Ippo seems like a great sports anime at times, but gets spoiled by cliche shonen tropes(and phrases).
I hate everyone equally
Apr 19, 2020 5:45 AM

Nov 2018
Vorg is such an obvious INFP, it's not even funny=)
He is so caring.It's a bit strange that he became a professional boxer.Same story with Ippo.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 18, 2020 3:59 AM

Feb 2019
Man i wanted Volg to win that match..tho this was the greatest match after sendo's really enjoyed it.
Nov 20, 2020 3:03 AM

Jul 2020
My boy Ippo!!!!! I got love and respect for Volg as much as Miyota.
Dec 31, 2020 6:12 AM

Nov 2016
It was really intense and Ippo once again played his strenght perfectly. What made this fight a bit better than the Sendo one for me were the emotions behind Volg's backstory and the scene in the hospital.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 4, 2021 12:35 PM
Dec 2020
this was a great fight but Cmon Protagonist bias too strong :(
Feb 9, 2021 10:50 AM

Dec 2007
because i cheer for ippo, i would want him to lose the fight against date.

great fight.
Mar 24, 2021 7:17 PM

Feb 2014
lool how is Ippo leaving in a stretcher and is also hospitalised but Volg walks out calm 😂😂😂
guess that shows, Ippo really could have lost but managed to hang in there and win... Volg is defo more skilled and stronger...
good fight though and yeah I love Volg, such a dope character, want to see more of him for suree!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jun 5, 2021 7:15 PM

Apr 2017
I liked this episode way more than the last, but I still don't feel like Ippo earned this match
Volg should've won.
Jun 26, 2021 7:01 PM

Apr 2016
Mr_Shnb said:
n10sity said:
This episode is a prime example what prevents Hajime no Ippo from becoming a very good or maybe even great series for me instead of just being a good one. Ippo has yet to experience true loss. Vorg had more talent, more desire from having a better purpose to win and near the end of the match even more guts than Ippo. Yet Vorg still lost. And Vorg isn't the first opponent to have a better reason to win. I find myself cheering for Ippo's opponents instead of Ippo. Ippo is suppose to be portrayed as the underdog. I don't buy what he is selling because Ippo has won every match he has ever been in really. I don't count his first spar because that was the first time he ever even put on gloves. His first real match was after that in his second spar with Miyata and he won against someone he had no logic reason to win against. I need Ippo to taste defeat. I need him to go through some emotional hardships, to have setbacks and defeats then come back to overcome them. Miyata's journey has been much more believable and much more inspiring than Ippo the Invincible's journey so far.

i agree with everything you said.
i was rooting for Vorg the whole time.
He was better than Ippo in everything + He had a better purpose/reason to win.
also, i want to see Ippo lose. Everyone lost except him and he's supposed to be "The Underdog".
it's getting repetitive, Ippo fights a stronger opponent, gets beat up and he's about to lose then magically win with a K.O.

anyway great episode, it was a really good fight and it would've been better if Vorg won.

100% this. The series is really suffering bc of this imo. Ippo needs loss for the fights to have meaning and to make it interesting to root for him.
Jul 12, 2021 12:50 PM

Jan 2017
n10sity said:

I'm replying after 13 years, but aren't most of the reputed professional fighters having a clean record of so many wins and 0 losses.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Aug 5, 2021 7:52 PM

Aug 2018
Vorg got destroyed. good job Ippo!

Oct 14, 2021 7:37 PM

Feb 2009
I still think Ippo vs. Sendo was the best fight so far all things considered. Still, this fight had a lot of amazing moments, with Ippo's almost supernatural endurance being the only thing that somewhat bothered me here. Anyway, I guess that is one of his secret weapons, his training has led him here and made him achieve all these unthinkable wins, even if I thought for a moment that Volg had Ippo in the bag (it would seem logic)

Apart from the fight, fantastic episode and amazing journey so far, its obvious Ippo will win the belt, I just wonder if it will be now! That is one fight I cant wait to see, Ippo vs. Date!! I hope the animation takes it up a notch. Superb anime, truly!
VeethornOct 14, 2021 7:42 PM
Mar 19, 2022 11:34 AM

Sep 2017
Sorry Volg. You may have just picked up the ability of never giving up, but you stand no chance against a protagonist who's lived and died by the never give up mentality since he put gloves on in like ep 2. The moment they introduced the idea the Ippo was looking to fight Date I may as well have skipped every episode right until there fight. There were a few seconds here where I though Volg had a chance (so good job with the jebait show) but of course I was quickly reminded what I've been watching.
Apr 12, 2022 8:50 PM

Dec 2015
Would have loved to see Ippo loose once. I was getting my hopes up during that fight. But again, Ippo wins. It is starting to get annoying.
Ippo seems to be invincible no matter what.
Aug 26, 2022 12:54 PM
May 2021
very good stuff, little plot armor for ippo but still banger
Oct 26, 2022 4:26 PM
Oct 2022
una obra maestra del spokon clásico, un referente a tomar en cuenta, sobre todo si se desea algo mas ligero y menos pretencioso, pero con un mensaje potente y que desafía cualquier expectativa previa.
Dec 8, 2022 4:05 PM

Sep 2022
Ippo wining and then getting hospitalized is incredibly funny 😂 Glad Vorg turned around and lightened up. I was ready to shed a lil tear at the end when he said he was happy 🥲
Jan 8, 2023 5:10 AM

Apr 2022
great fight, glad volg finally realized he loved boxing right at the end. probably my new fave character in the show.
Mar 8, 2023 3:24 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Awesome ep. Got hype when the opening started playing.

Zolg is a great character fr. Great to see him finally enjoying boxing :D
Mar 26, 2023 9:20 PM
Apr 2020
Amazing episode frfr your son is working hard mom!
Jul 17, 2023 7:21 PM

Oct 2017
end of this episode was heart warming.
hope the challenger's mom is ok.
Mar 30, 9:09 AM
Feb 2023
Damn. The fight with Volg was arguably the best yet. I've complained before that Ippo's successive wins leads to the show becoming predictable - I think this fight is a great showcase of keeping the audience on their toes within that context.

It's a consistently enthralling fight that spans three episodes if you include Volg's backstory, and it's one of the prime examples of Hajime no Ippo using the fight to hammer home messages for most of characters involved. Volg connects with a genuine love of boxing through his defeat, and connects with Ippo's mother in a way that allows him to let go of his guilt concerning his own mum.
Kamogawa shows vulnerability and finally congratulates Ippo on a win, and we see the importance of a trainer on the result of a fight when Ippo's corner is contrasted by Volg's.
Volg's trainer learns humility and not to shun the importance of mindset as a fighting tool.
Ippo overcomes a massive hurdle and moves closer to a title fight, but this fight clearly takes a lot out of him.

It's fantastic writing, despite being a classic underdog story there's been many times I've found myself rooting for the other guy, or both simultaneously. The fight itself is brilliantly paced across three episodes, perpetually thrilling, and has me ecstatic just thinking of the upcoming title fight Ippo faces. However, given the damage and the skill difference, I think Ippo may lose.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Episode 58 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jul 17, 2008

71 by HiMaNGa_K_BaRUaH »»
Yesterday, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Episode 10 Discussion

notestinet - Aug 27, 2008

39 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 12, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

55 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 11, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

59 by PlasticRobot »»
Apr 11, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jul 15, 2008

69 by KiritoCR7 »»
Apr 10, 12:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.