Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2008 6:40 PM

Dec 2007
I realize this is a bit.. anal-retentive, but it sort of bothers me seeing an empty section in the chapters column of my manga list, and that reading this doesn't seem to affect the time stat. Anyhow, bear with me..

I'm reading this by scanlation, and as the scans contain neither table of contents, nor chapter breaks, I was wondering just how many chapters there are.

Okay, according to wikipedia: "First chapter published in April 1975, and continued until the last chapter in March 1979. However, it did not appear in the following issues due to various reasons: November 1975, December 1976, January 1978 and June 1978."

This is a monthly magazine, so if I calculated correctly, Candy Candy ran for 44 issues. I guess I'm used to reading manga that averages 20-30 pages per chapter, but if I divide the number of pages total (~1860), by the number of issues (44), that comes out to about 42 pages a chapter, which seems a little high to me. Did some magazines in the olden days publish two chapters an issue, perhaps?

Maybe someone with the original tankoban can clarify?
Jul 16, 2008 6:55 PM

Dec 2007
Ahem.. so browsing through various shoujo manga pages on here, I'm starting to see that 4,5,6 chapters a volume isn't uncommon at all, especially among the monthlies. I'm new to shoujo, so I'm used to seeing around ten on average. It varies much more than I had realized. 44 it is, then?
Jul 22, 2008 8:37 PM

Jul 2007
As I read this, I've been trying to figure out where the chapters start and end based on when pages that were originally in color appear (since that almost always happens at the beginning of a chapter and at no other place). I counted 7 chapters in the first two volumes, but one seemed twice as long as the others so I'm guessing I missed one. 44 chapters doesn't seem at all small to me (probably since I'm mainly a shoujo reader) so I'm going to say that's right and call it a day.

What I'm wondering is why the scanlations have ten volumes (0-9) but everwhere I check lists the series as 9. I imagine that's due to the scanlators rearranging it a bit, but it's still weird.

oh, these little earthquakes
Jul 23, 2008 2:10 AM

Dec 2007
Wow, I wasn't expecting any replies to this, honestly. Manga threads receive little love, it seems, especially for relatively obscure series such as this. I tried finding the color pages too, but came across the same problem, and yeah, it seems the scanlator cut a couple of volumes in roughly half and rearranged things (hopefully not the order; I'm not that far yet).

Anyway, thanks so much. =]
Jun 1, 2015 11:42 AM
Jul 2014
This was long ago, so I don't expect to get a direct reply, but it is indeed a problem. Guess I'll just read however much I can at a time and pause at appropriate scenes. Oh, and I do wish the scans were better, but that's better than nothing.
Jul 25, 2019 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
I read the Greek version which was based on the Italian translation. It is full colored as well, giving the manga a nice look, close to the anime.
This version features 84 chapters and 9 volumes but story continues in the Italian version, this time by Italian artists and script writers. 3 extra volumes (10-12) and 41 extra chapters, 125 in total. Tried to read the story, thinking it would take place some time after the ending, but they continued straight from the Japanese version, with Neil trying to kidnap and marry Candy. Due to this I dropped it and art was also very inferior.

Italian version also included a bonus manga after chapter 53, called Faustine (Luna in Italian), by Chieko Hara. Italian version was 3 volumes, Japanese was 4 volumes. This was translated in Greek too. I liked the story as much as Candy.

More info here:
https://smo.home.blog/2019/06/14/candy-candy-di-kyoko-mizuki-e-yumiko-igarashi/
https://smo.home.blog/2019/04/07/fostine-aka-luna-di-chieko-hara/

More topics from this board

» Candy Candy General Discussion

accela - May 9, 2008

1 by LunaSelene »»
Apr 13, 2015 4:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.