Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 31, 2015 1:28 AM

Oct 2013
I don't agree with the theory of her having another child. Nothing indicates that!
The yellow daruma is indeed the yellow Mononoke and her child, this is shown in the 1st episode when the Yellow Mononoke says that the daruma is his and tell her to give it back.

Also when she says "Im sorry I can't be your mother". She isn't using the singular YOU(Anata), but the plural YOU(Anatatachi). So she is talking with the dead children and not her child. That is why they smiled at the end.
The regret, came from the dead children and was not having caring mothers that wanted them, fought for them and were happy for having them. This is shown by their reactions when she thanked them for choosing her, even after what they did, and was when the sword activated.

She was in fact having a miscarriage(shown by the bandages later), but she was saved in time by the Medicine Seller(shown by the doll only cracking and not breaking nor the umbilical cord rupturing), that killed/cut the Mononoke.

In the end they died happy and loved!
bigivelfhqMar 31, 2015 1:32 AM
Jul 29, 2015 6:21 PM

Aug 2014
I thought shino miscarried too but then the scene after the ed implies that she didn't. Which is great.

I also thought that wow, talking things out will help but then while shino was talking Kusuriuri was getting things done. (his hair in that scene was amazing)

The emotions, the symbolism were great. All in all a perfect ending to the arc. (if somewhat creepy, i mean the babies are just so)
Nov 10, 2015 7:07 AM

Jan 2009
This anime is a little over the top psychedelic. I can see why so many people like it, but it just isn't my taste. I'd rather know exactly what was happening than trying to interpret everything myself. It's too off-the-wall, and is putting me to sleep. I'll ultimately finish it, though. We'll see if my opinion changes.
ZewerrMar 30, 2016 7:15 AM
Jan 29, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2015
Still trying to understand if her baby survived or not.

Nice episode.
Mar 29, 2016 4:13 PM
Mar 2016
sugarplumfairy said:
zanmato666 said:
Well this was another interesting episode. I liked how it dealt with a touchy subject and the cinematography was just incredible. So far this is a very unique series and I hope that the other stories are just as interesting as this first one was. Thus, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

yea i totally agree. but the only thing was, i didnt get what the heck happened in the end! i mean did she miscarriage? or give birth? or what??!

I think she symbolically miscarriaged the baby that chose her. She said "I can't be your mother". In the end she was still pregnant.
Mar 29, 2016 4:20 PM
Mar 2016
bigivelfhq said:
I don't agree with the theory of her having another child. Nothing indicates that!
The yellow daruma is indeed the yellow Mononoke and her child, this is shown in the 1st episode when the Yellow Mononoke says that the daruma is his and tell her to give it back.

Also when she says "Im sorry I can't be your mother". She isn't using the singular YOU(Anata), but the plural YOU(Anatatachi). So she is talking with the dead children and not her child. That is why they smiled at the end.
The regret, came from the dead children and was not having caring mothers that wanted them, fought for them and were happy for having them. This is shown by their reactions when she thanked them for choosing her, even after what they did, and was when the sword activated.

She was in fact having a miscarriage(shown by the bandages later), but she was saved in time by the Medicine Seller(shown by the doll only cracking and not breaking nor the umbilical cord rupturing), that killed/cut the Mononoke.

Completely agree.
Apr 24, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2015
So basically the prostitute wanted to give birth to the baby, which turned out to be inhabited by zashikiwarashi(s) but then medicine seller exterminate the zashikiwarashis so that she can give birth a normal baby?
May 4, 2016 7:49 PM

Apr 2016
will someone explain . im not sure if i understood wtf happend
Jun 25, 2016 4:40 AM

Oct 2008
I'm glad I have some notes to read over after each episode. Totally missed the birthing, abortion imagery with the red toned camera flying through the doors and the pale woman who we assume gave the abortions waiting at the end. This show overloads me with so much I just tune out a lot of it. Missed the fireplace entirely, didn't realize it was one, the phoenix and the flame artwork on top of it too. Really this whole concept is new to me, the idea that Brothels could be used for abortions like this and that they'd even have their own dedicated rooms? A pretty beautiful episode, both in story, directing, art and message. I'd like to think the woman is at peace with the souls of all the babies in the end and has gotten some solace in the health of her baby. Even though based on the bandages, the blood, the cracking of the yellow doll thing that she might have also lost her own baby. But it seems oddly optimistic and positive near the end, she doesn't seem distraught and disillusioned so I take it as the mononoke was successfully dealt with(given we save the odd ray of colors kinda purifying the group of mononoke babies) and her baby is safe(even her little baby token is back).

This show is so rich in Japanese folklore, culture and subtle details it's both intimidating and impressive how much they can pack into an episode. Props to the creators.
Aug 16, 2016 6:24 AM

Aug 2010
Wow...that was pretty impressive... Totally didnt expect this show to be like this when I first decided to watch it!
Feb 5, 2017 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
WTF!! this anime is so weird, things like demons and souls are not my thing but this one caught my attention even if i didn't like it a lot i think it will be worth watching.
Feb 12, 2017 8:16 PM

Mar 2015
Wow this was deeper than first seemed!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 11, 2017 10:32 AM

Sep 2015
Well THAT was visceral. And creepy. And even a little unnecessary. But also really cool. I love when an anime can take me on a ride. Where I'm not even sure how I feel about it and the story it's trying to tell until it's safely stuck the landing. At first I genuinely thought this first story was anti-abortion. I know Japanese social norms often differ from ours. Abortion doesn't really come up that much in anime. And maybe it's unfair of me but I can see at least the traditionalists in their culture viewing it as a great crime.

But while I think the implication is still there. Especially with the South Parkesque aborted fetus monster that swallows up the evil innkeeper. The story seemed to be criticizing forced abortions mandated by either a state or a calculating whorehouse owner than the practice in general. And few would argue forcing someone to have an abortion isn't really fucked up.

I'm really excited to see the rest of this series. I wasn't even in love with this arc all the way. But there were a few really intense scenes in it and the end result definitely made me think about it. The main character's pretty cool too. Like a more chaotic neutral Ginko from Mushishi. In fact this series kind of reminds me of like the sensibilities of a series like Monogatari. Combined with the simple and classic concept of a series like Mushishi. Maybe that's a comparison I'm looking for. Either way can't wait to see more of it.
Jun 21, 2017 9:52 AM

Nov 2007
this is something for pro-lifers,lol.....
Aug 12, 2017 5:47 PM

May 2016
Aside from the wtf feeling I got from the whole episode, this was pretty emotional. The red cloth seems to be the umbilical cords so it's goddamn brutal that they'd push some of the baby out by thumping them, pulling the umbilical cord to get the baby out, rip it in two and lay it on the baby as an abortion sheesh...

I think that the baby died before the Mononokes got a chance to swarm inside the girl since he was weakened throughout the episode and turned into a mononoke himself but after seeing how much the girl loved the baby, they decided not to trouble her any further and thank her for trying before getting exorcised by the Medicine Seller letting go of their regrets.The girl looks a lot better with her hair undone but she's gone a bit kookoo after the mishap which is tragic. The dude saying he loves her then becoming silent when he hears about the child lol

Aug 21, 2017 3:43 PM

Feb 2017
Really loving the visuals and the story but the editing is getting to be annoying. Surrealism is great but not when it's edited into oblivion :/
Aug 22, 2017 1:03 AM
Nov 2015
The first time I watched, a long time ago, it was good enough.
I didn't expect I would almost cry at the end this time. When the ED song hit, I was both sad and happy at the same time.
Aug 22, 2017 1:04 AM
Nov 2015
Still the best story. The Bakeneko arc comes pretty close to, but this is so short and efficient.
Oct 20, 2017 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
Looking though the comments, I think a previous miscarriage is definitely what the regret was. It makes sense. Great ep.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 16, 2017 2:37 PM

Jan 2014
There is something that bothers me in this episode.
Forcing somebody to get an abortion is really not ok. But fetuses don't have feelings. At least not if they get aborted on the first two or three months of pregnancy.
So what the owner of the brothel did was really, really bad BUT the fetuses wouldn't know it.
Dec 24, 2017 1:11 AM

Jan 2017
What a meaningful episode; i couldn't have ever guessed it was an abortion room, so sad, so tragic.

As usual, colors, visuals in general my lord, this is just a feast to the eyes, i can't stop to be amazed really.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 1, 2018 11:03 PM

Dec 2013
Black_wind said:

submarina said:
Forcing somebody to get an abortion is really not ok. But fetuses don't have feelings. At least not if they get aborted on the first two or three months of pregnancy.
So what the owner of the brothel did was really, really bad BUT the fetuses wouldn't know it.

Knew this episode wouldn't go without at least one pro-choice shitting themselves a little.
Dec 14, 2018 2:31 PM

Dec 2016
Damn this episode was pretty brutal and jesus kids crying/laughing in anything horror related fucks me up man
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 8, 2019 7:28 PM

Jun 2013
Abortion really is a terrible thing, and it's sad how accepted it has become in the west recently. Seeing media painting it in a bad light is refreshing in this day and age. How unfortunate is that.

I know this anime is about a decade old, but it's still recent enough to get under the skin of those who view the killing of babies as an acceptable practice.
Jan 26, 2019 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
oh my gosh the screams, made it so unsettling and gave me major goosebumps
Mar 16, 2019 4:45 PM

May 2017
So according to the comments here she miscarried her baby ? But at the end after the Mononoke had been exorcised by the mysterious elf dude she rubs her belly like shes still pregnant? :thonk:

May 8, 2019 8:07 PM

May 2013
Thank you for this comment! Finally an explanation I'm satisfied with. You're the best

clippert0n said:
Here's my interpretation:
At the end of the episode her baby is still alive and well. I think the key to understanding it comes mainly from a couple of key plot points within the episodes. First, the medicine seller states that "regret" is necessary for the sword to be drawn. This regret stems from the pregnant woman, who I'd guess had previously miscarried a child, which would explain not only the regret aspect, but also why she seemed overly desperate for the life of her child this time around. It also helps explain the yellow doll that she carried with her, probably in memory of the miscarried child. This ties into the key scene of the episode, where there is a pile of urns, with the yellow urn being attached to her via the red fabric where the rest are all in their own separate area. The yellow urn is the same color as the doll she carries around with her. Probably what sealed the deal for this for me was when she stated "I'm sorry I could not give birth to you" to the yellow newborn which came from the yellow urn.
Doesn't entirely explain why the medicine man was able to quell the mononoke, I'm assuming he used the sword possibly to calm it.
落下のように、いつも落ちる。いつか救われることができるのかな? または落ち続けるでしょうか?永遠に
May 17, 2019 8:51 PM

Sep 2012
I think she had a miscarriage because her belly after the credits is smaller than before, it doesn't look like she's pregnant anymore.
Jul 13, 2019 8:04 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That was unexpectedly heart wrenching, I should have been more prepared.
The ending of the episode to the ending sequence had a smooth transition, I like it.
Jan 31, 2020 7:16 PM
Dec 2019
TanTheMan said:
Does anyone know what the song that starts playing at around 18 minutes is called? I've tried finding it on youtube without success. Thanks in advance!

That scene was totally carried by the music. You know the music is good when I manage to feel bad for babies that ugly. For anyone wondering, it's Koigokoro - 14 - Ayakashi Japanese Classic Horror OST.
May 22, 2020 3:32 AM

Aug 2018
I really don’t know if I can continue watching this, this episode was so confusing and painful to mind.

I think I will be stopping watching this anime for some time and come back ready
Jun 6, 2020 6:28 AM

Oct 2019
That was a absolute trippy experience..

I love this ambiance..

This show is probably best watched when high..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jan 3, 2021 7:37 PM

May 2019
A great surprise this anime.

As some said, it is mixing Mushishi with Gankutsuo, but in my opinion, Mononoke is even more artistic, without lose the appeal to entertainment of an anime.

Btw, about the story. Her child was saved, and the Medicine Seller killed the Mononoke (yes, he did his job after all)

Best explanation is bellow:

bigivelfhq said:

It shows the importance of proper interpretation of japanese language (and how bad translations can ruin an anime), specially in works like this:

-----------------------

Vinum_Sabbathi said:
Black_wind said:

submarina said:

Knew this episode wouldn't go without at least one pro-choice shitting themselves a little.

Lol, exactly.

The story is about Mononoke, entity, spirits, souls. Then these people want to find mistakes in it bringing pseudo-science mumbo jumbo, for the doGs sake...

Feb 28, 2021 8:16 PM
Feb 2021
I know this is an old show and all but I just wanted to say that as someone who doesn't usually get very emotional watching shows, this story arc literally makes me cry every time I watch it. I'm really glad after reading the comments that so many other people appreciate it as much as I do.

Also, I agree with Rob7 and bigivelfhq's interpretation, of what happened at the end. That's how I initially understood it and after reading several different takes I still find it to have the most compelling case.
May 8, 2021 10:55 PM

Mar 2016
This hits different when you’re watching this on Mother’s Day...
Jul 1, 2021 8:50 AM

Nov 2018
Extremely slow and artsy fartsy. I've solved their mystery and predicted what will happen in first 5 minutes and then watched main character talk everything through for another 20 minutes while my eyes were suffering from overly saturated bright colours.Too much pseudo-symbolic elements for really little.

Don't even compare it to mushishi. Looks like something Yuasa made tbh.
I hate everyone equally
Jan 3, 2022 3:44 AM
Aug 2021
Oh so the inn used to be a brothel and the room upstairs is the abortion room. I don't get why the babies would be burned inside the room though. But anyways their spirits haunt this room now and they became a Mononoke called Zashikiwarashi. The woman had lost her baby but now she is pregnant with a Mononoke. Someone else pointed out that the red ribbons represent the umbilical cord and that's a pretty neat detail.
Feb 19, 2022 5:36 AM
Feb 2022
Episode was so good,..
Art,Cinemetography,suspense,dialoges ,All are to the point.
But don't understand,what happened in the last. She said that she want all of them ,after that there was blood on the floor.In the last one baby was smiling.Actually what happened,is it miscarrige,or she is going to give birth to monoke
Oct 9, 2022 9:18 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
miscarriage.........

Oct 12, 2022 7:28 PM

Mar 2016
what a chilling episode...the ending song is so beautiful too
Mar 14, 2023 1:12 PM

Jul 2021
perfect....that's all
Apr 2, 2023 10:23 AM

Nov 2010
I can't get used to the art, but the story is interesting.
That innkeeper was pretty when she was young.
I wish I could trade places with those dead babies. I never wanted to be born ever, tbh.
Jun 14, 2023 10:01 PM

Jun 2020
hoooooly what a ride this episode was. Super interesting so far and i really love the art style
Sep 7, 2023 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
wow this episode made me cry. I think some people forget what a tragedy abortion is, even though it's necessary in some cases(not trying to start an argument. If you think differently, that's perfectly fine).
Dec 7, 2023 4:53 PM
Feb 2021
jesus christ this is the most suspenseful show ive seen in anime
Dec 17, 2023 5:18 PM
Jul 2017
this is too trippy and the writing is bad
Jan 28, 11:28 AM
Feb 2021
i mean like idk its okay so far
Jan 28, 11:41 AM
Feb 2021
i mean its good ngl
Feb 17, 4:19 AM
Mar 2021
I saw the abortion topic coming in the previous episode, but the execution was phenomenal. I haven't watched the next episode yet. Hopefully, her baby didn't get aborted.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Oct 11, 2007

134 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Jul 30, 2007

104 by hunterXhewwo »»
Jan 12, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Oct 8, 2007

53 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.