Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 15, 2008 4:56 PM

Jul 2008
I do not want to match the movies, so do I just go straight to Stand alone complex and then the 2nd season of that?

Theres like 9 versions! AHHH *brain explodes*
Jul 15, 2008 5:23 PM

Oct 2007
Firstly, it is probably better to have made this topic in the Ghost In The Shell section.

Secondly, if you really don't want to watch the movies (which are awesome, and you really should if you can) then I'd say start with the 1st season and watch on from there :) Ghost in the Shell SAC, then 2nd Gig and so on.

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Jul 15, 2008 5:43 PM

May 2008
Start with the original 1995 movie
Jul 15, 2008 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
Ghost in the Shell SAC then Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig

The other versions you see are probably just specials or summaries of these two seasons; nothing important. (aside from the 3 movies: Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, and Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society)
Jul 15, 2008 6:03 PM
Jul 2018
gr33nhippo said:
Ghost in the Shell SAC then Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig

The other versions you see are probably just specials or summaries of these two seasons

No, not quite. SAC and SAC 2nd gig are composed of a number of episodes with a continuing plot and a number of stand-alone episodes.

The Laughing Man and the Individual Eleven series are both basically only the main plot of the stories.

Solid State Society is a stand-alone movie that occurs after the end of the second season IIRC.

The Tachikoma and Uchikoma episodes are basically just supplementary episodes consisting of rather comedic shorts.
Jul 15, 2008 7:31 PM
Oct 2007
ghost in the shell the original movie is the same as the original manga

from there it splits off into three paths
man machine interface (the second manga) was based on the first manga
ghost in the shell 2: innocence was based on the first movie as well
the first sac was based on teh first movie then the second SAC carries on from there, and solid state society follows on from the second movie

and just to be fun none of these three storylines interact with each other although they all maintain a high level of complexity

innoncence + man machine interface are however a little bit more philosphical than the two series whereas the series has alot more on the political implecations of what they're doing

on the other hand i rated them all above an 8 so i think you should watch them all but definatly start with the movie
Jul 15, 2008 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
gridgm said:
ghost in the shell the original movie is the same as the original manga

from there it splits off into three paths
man machine interface (the second manga) was based on the first manga
ghost in the shell 2: innocence was based on the first movie as well
the first sac was based on teh first movie then the second SAC carries on from there, and solid state society follows on from the second movie

and just to be fun none of these three storylines interact with each other although they all maintain a high level of complexity

innoncence + man machine interface are however a little bit more philosphical than the two series whereas the series has alot more on the political implecations of what they're doing

on the other hand i rated them all above an 8 so i think you should watch them all but definatly start with the movie

I don't know about the thread creator, but I'm now a whole lot more confused... lol xD
Jul 16, 2008 3:31 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I moved the topic, even if you said you don't want to watch the movies (since this is the forum for the GITS movie).

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 16, 2008 3:48 AM
Mar 2008
Ares545 said:
I do not want to match the movies, so do I just go straight to Stand alone complex and then the 2nd season of that?

Theres like 9 versions! AHHH *brain explodes*

it's SAC then obviously SAC 2nd Gig then Solid State Society and don't understand why you're giving up on the movies i mean GITS the movie is a masterpiece and although the second one is almost 2 hours of Togusa and Batou bouncing quotes of each other it's probably better than any other recently release movie!
Jul 21, 2008 1:44 AM

Jun 2008
Start with Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Jul 21, 2008 1:47 AM

Jan 2008
I always say watch anime in the order it was released in, but alternatively you could go:

Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Ghost in the Shell Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 5, 2008 7:39 PM

Jul 2008
Start with the 1995 movie -> 2004 movie -> TV series -> movie versions of the TV series.
Jul 4, 2009 10:27 PM

Jun 2009
There are three different universes in the world of Ghost in the Shell. The manga, the two movies by Mamoru Oshii, and then Stand Alone Complex. Feel free to start any one of them when you like, just go in order for in each universe.

The Manga by Masamune Shirow:
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Man/Machine Interface
Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human Error Processor
Notes: 1.5 is chapters edited out from volume 2. Don't bother with reader after volume 1. It was mostly created as a response to volume one's success and is universially panned.

The Movies Directed by Mamoru Oshii:
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Notes: The first movie is based off of the manga, but they are actuallyl very differnt. The manga is much more episodic by chapter and many of the short stories that apprear in it form the basis of quite a few episodes to the 1st season of Stand Alone Complex and even a few are fitted into the second season. Also, the movie plot is more accuartely discribed as a combination of multiple shorts and changed around enough to form a larger overarching story (a little similar to what was done with Akira). In order to met the funding for 2, Studio Ghibli chipped in money and helped with the production of it.

Stand Alone Complex:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (series)
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-The Laughing Man (movie)
Ghost in the Shell: S.A. C. 2nd Gig (series)
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-Individual Eleven (movie)
Ghost in the Shell: S.A. C. Solid State Society (movie)
Note: The pieces indicated by a - are optional works that are not required to see in sequentail order. They are mostly abridgements of the series (Individual Eleven has the same premise but a different story then the series). I haven't seen them either but understood the stuff afterwards with ease.
Pierre_BezukhovJul 4, 2009 10:31 PM
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Jan 2, 2010 4:22 AM

Apr 2009
Beatnik said:
I always say watch anime in the order it was released in, but alternatively you could go:

Ghost in the Shell Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society

tnx man...

More topics from this board

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Yesterday

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Today, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

166 by notalai »»
Apr 8, 12:04 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.