Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion???

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Sep 30, 2011 12:07 PM

I am the type of person that wont drop a show because I always expect it to get better. While sometimes they don't get better the majority do so I always will finish a show.

Sep 30, 2011 12:09 PM

I have total 95 series in my dropped list atm in total 432. one of them is a movie, i watched half, got really bored and then dropped it. it's saying ep 1/1 dropped. lol. also 64 are on-hold (few of them eternal-on-hold probably)...

I guess that's answer the question.
Modified by Han-yuu, Sep 30, 2011 12:14 PM

Sep 30, 2011 12:10 PM

I've done that with a couple of shows but generally they are 12-13 episodes in length.

Most recent being R-15...damn that was hard to get through by the end.

Sep 30, 2011 12:10 PM

DrHouse said:
If that's what you want to do, then that's what you should do.

It's unwise to pretend that there's some sort of "good" way to piss away your time. If finishing what you started makes you happy, then go for it. Ignore the naysayers, they're just annoyed that not everyone's a fanboy.

How does having OCD and completing a series that you don't like make one a fanboy?

I generally finish the anime I start but the stuff I don't like that much takes lower priority when compared to stuff I like but higher priority over so-so anime that haven't started.

Sep 30, 2011 12:44 PM

Used to have a huge tolerance for crappy animes. But now, I just drop it in the 2nd or 3rd episode. I've watched a lot of crappy animes, and it's time to limit those numbers. Then again, I ended up completely watching R-15 (just streaming. I don't respect it enough to be downloaded)
LastExile_613.png

Sep 30, 2011 12:54 PM

Ugh, another case of "it depends." One of the few cases where it would be wise to watch an anime you don't like is if you're eager to establish credibility and claim said anime is no good. Another case would be if you're a "completionist" and you have to do everything 100%, including stuff you don't enjoy.

If those two don't apply to you I don't see it wise to force yourself to watch an anime you dislike. But hey, every viewer is different.

Sep 30, 2011 1:34 PM

alexcampos said:
So, is it wise to watch anime just for the sake of completion???

I don't waste my time on this that bore me or are utter garbage.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 30, 2011 1:38 PM

I used to do this.

Now I don't watch anime at all really.
Forums make me sick.

Sep 30, 2011 2:15 PM

I did this with Bleach. I tried catching up to the latest episode since I was about 100 episodes behind, but I just couldn't do it since the anime got so boring for me. So I just dropped it in the end.

And no, it's not wise because it's just a waste of time. One should watch things he or she likes, not just because everyone else is watching it.

Sep 30, 2011 2:22 PM
Usually, no, it's not wise because you are wasting time for watching anime that is much better. Do I do it? Yes, I do...I can watch a crappy anime for the sake of completion up to...let's say 50 episodes...and I'm not counting childhood anime in this category. Well the only anime that was really exhausting and bad (for me) was Bleach, and I don't even remember at which episode I stopped watching it. And I just couldn't finish Antique Bakery and Okane ga nai. The first one bored the hell out of me and the second one was too mush shota (I still claim that it is because the main character does not look he's 20 or whatever...he looks 12 tops). The last one I dropped was sket dance...again it started to bore me...which is funny 'cause in the last episode of Gintama they did a collaboration...anyway, I think if you ask anyone, why they are still watching an anime they don't really like that much, they probably won't be able to answer your question properly...even today I don't know why I forced myself to watch 51 episodes of Hana Yori Dango.

Sep 30, 2011 2:56 PM

If I feel like it. I hardly drop anything though once I'm past certain point.

Sep 30, 2011 3:01 PM

No, unless you're into M or are a completionist. There are many anime out there, so the odds are there's a better anime to spend your time on.

Sep 30, 2011 3:35 PM

Yeah. I'm OCD about that kind of thing, so once I've seen the 1st episode, no matter how much I may hate it with the fiery passion of Hell's jacked up furnace, I have to watch the rest. Too many of the stuff I watch or have watched was just for completion. -.-V

Sep 30, 2011 3:42 PM

I would never complete a series just for the sake of it. Why finish a show you dislike when you can start one you like?

Sep 30, 2011 3:50 PM
It's totally not worth it.
I remember, just when I started watching anime I was like that, but now I just know that that was really stupid of me, but still I don't regret that.
Wasting time on shit is no worth it in general.

Sep 30, 2011 3:53 PM

"Wise" is ultimately the insight and knowledge to attain happiness.

If you're not enjoying yourself it's not very wise. But then again if you're a bit of a perfectionist and having an incomplete list bothers you then it's not too wise to finish it either.

Not only is it relative to the anime but the viewer himself. Personally I wont watch anything I don't like.

Sep 30, 2011 3:57 PM

Its actually wiser to drop School Days at first 10 minutes rather than completing it. You know there's no gold at the of that rainbow, only shit.

Sep 30, 2011 4:10 PM

I usually give a series at least three episodes, or longer if I hear it picks up later. The only things I can accurately judge on the first episode is the art and the voice acting. If the art sucks, then I'll drop it. If the voice acting sucks, I'll drop it if it gets too annoying (except on supporting characters).

But if I do end up watching a lot of it and it ends up sucking, I'll finish it if i'm near the end, just to add it to my completed list. Cough Ao Cough
Modified by mdz, Sep 30, 2011 4:46 PM

Sep 30, 2011 4:35 PM

If its really THAT boring I immediately stop watchnig xp. But if its still borderline and short I would watch it .

Sep 30, 2011 4:39 PM

I'm guilty of this. Sometimes it's because I just want to finish it, other times it's because I'm waiting for it to possibly get better. With Honey and Clover's manga, the beginning was really boring, but I'm glad that I finished it because the middle and end made up for it.

But I don't watch long anime like Bleach, so I dunno if I'd drop that sometime or not.

Sep 30, 2011 5:13 PM

Vforvendetta said:
But there are those I managed to finish like elfen lied, well lots of pp talk good about it, that's why I just keep torturing myself to find what its good ... but in the end there is one only thing I can do: complaining.

Yes, quite like me.
For example: right now i'm "watching" - two episodes today and then one episode after 3 weeks or so - Hetalia Axis Powers. I've seen so many fanarts of the anime and MAL has some reviews with good rating, so i'm forcing myself to watch until the end to see what's so good about it because i still don't think it's that enjoyable.

Sep 30, 2011 6:27 PM
If it's popular enough, I try to give it a chance or two before dropping. All these people cant be wrong, right? Maybe I'm missing something by not experiencing the entire thing.

Though, if it's really long and no one is forcing me to watch it with them, then I wont even bother watching it.

Sep 30, 2011 6:36 PM

When I first started watching anime I would watch all to completion, then I started finding more and more that I'd rather watch so I just started to not complete them anymore if I disliked them.

Sep 30, 2011 7:08 PM

I usually try to figure out if an anime is bad before I get too far into it and then I drop it. Occasionally I will get close to the end before I realize the show is bad, but after a certain point I figure I might as well finish the show anyway.

Sep 30, 2011 10:10 PM
I have a hard time dropping things.. I generally just stop watching things I don't like and tell myself I'll come back and watch it later, but deep down I know I probably never will. XD

Sep 30, 2011 10:10 PM

I wouldn't waste my time watching something just to tick it off the list.
I have a list of things I want to watch, why delay that further to finish something I don't like?
If I've competed an anime, it's because there was something about it that made me want to keep watching it.

Oct 1, 2011 12:13 AM

I don't see a point in wasting my time on a show I'm not enjoying.

Oct 1, 2011 12:26 AM
I only keep watching a show if I enjoy it. I'm not going to keep watching if I dislike it

Oct 1, 2011 1:32 AM

alexcampos said:
My Policy:

• 11 - 13 ep anime: If I HATE it after 4 or 5 episodes it's DROPPED....however this happens very rarely...

• 24-26 ep anime: I'll usually give it 10 episodes, after which I make the decision to keep going or not.

• 27+ ep anime: Obviously there are very few of these, but I do the same strategy.....BTW, long running shounen I have DROPPED include OP, Reborn, and D. Gray-Man

• Similar except for 11-13 eps anime. I usually finish them up to see the ending (since it's short enough).
    I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

Oct 1, 2011 2:00 AM
    #1 Chihaya Fan

I like to see how a series ends, if its fairly short 10-50 odd eps I will watch the whole thing just to see how it ends, but if it gets to Bleach/Naruto/OP proportions with 200-500+ episodes then I will stop watching.

Oct 1, 2011 2:17 AM

ShadowbladeEdge said:
    Tiago97 said:
    Anyway, shounen always takes time to get good. Like One Piece got really good at episode 64.

Personally I find it absurd that anyone can honestly say this. I mean if a show takes about 21 hours of you watching it to "get good" then that show is garbage.

I started watching One Piece has a beginner, so I was easily impressed, but truth is, One Piece's beginning is something you can only appreciate after you know what the show will become.

For me, it's always good, then gets much better in the Arlong Arc, then again in the Baroque Works, and then it's good for like...
    FOR-FUCKING-EVER!

Oct 1, 2011 2:38 AM

sm said:
    We're talking about the anime here right?

Yes, we are.
    sm said:
    If so, the Skypea and Impel Down arcs were slow as hell.

I agree with Skypea being slow, especially near the end. but I think Impel Down was great.

Oct 1, 2011 2:43 AM

I wouldn't keep watching a never ending shounen just to complete it.

I've dropped shows because I can't see myself catching up/finishing them anytime soon at all. Like Shugo Chara and KHR, I actually plan to complete them, however for now, they are in the dropped list because it'll be a long, long way for me to get round to finishing them.

As for Bleach and Naruto, I don't really plan on it anymore.. I'm more towards watching Naruto than Bleach too.. I did enjoy Bleach, but if I were to pick it up again, I'd have to skip the majority of the fillers.

MARS is staying dropped, didn't enjoy it one bit.

Oct 1, 2011 2:56 AM

It's up to the individual, really.

Some people will think that the e-peen growth for completion of a certain anime is worth the torture, while others won't.

As for me, as an admin of a certain club, I think it is wise in my case to at least attempt to complete anime you don't particularly like. At the same time, I find it hard to complete anime I don't like, so I tend to go off the beaten track for stuff that I do like quite often.
    Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
    [

Oct 1, 2011 3:26 AM

well, evangelion is not as bad as you think, the first time I watched it, I don't like it but my friends forced me to watch and said some stuff like this one you definitely must watch, it turns out to be good actually.
    And then I give up on the Neon Genesis Evangelion ... I don't like old anime even if it's good.

Oct 1, 2011 3:35 AM

Vforvendetta said:
    well, evangelion is not as bad as you think, the first time I watched it, I don't like it but my friends forced me to watch and said some stuff like this one you definitely must watch, it turns out to be good actually.
    And then I give up on the Neon Genesis Evangelion ... I don't like old anime even if it's good.

I don't understand...

You watched Evangelion and didn't like it the first time, but now you think it's so-so, and 1 sentence later tou think it sucks?

Oct 1, 2011 3:39 AM

Generally not, but if it's a short series, say, 11-13 episodes, I usually push through anyway.

Oct 1, 2011 3:52 AM

Tiago97 said:
    Vforvendetta said:

I don't understand...

You watched Evangelion and didn't like it the first time, but now you think it's so-so, and 1 sentence later tou think it sucks?

Well, I enjoy the remade version of evangelion than the older one. Just to make sure, I was talking about evangelion the movie actually.
    Modified by Takana_no_Hana, Oct 1, 2011 3:58 AM

Oct 1, 2011 4:15 AM

sometimes, but usually when i watch a show even though i don't like it's because a friend recommended it to me, but the most boring anime i watched through was Eureka seven which was like torure

Oct 1, 2011 7:37 AM

Sometimes I am tempted to finish it because I might miss something good towards the end of the anime, but eventually I'd drop once my mind begins to wander and pay no attention to what I'm watching. It'd be like wasting my time. XD

"Pribilehiyo ng mga hindi nag fi- fit in sa society ang magwalang bahala.

CLASH. BOOM. TOINKS.

Oct 1, 2011 7:45 AM

Usually I don't force myself to finish a show that I don't like except that I still have a few more episodes before finishing it or I have downloaded all the episodes of that anime.

Oct 1, 2011 8:41 AM

I always finish them, then when I see some animes that are boring or bad or, when i watch an anime that is great I enjoy much more :)

Oct 1, 2011 8:49 AM

sm said:
    Also, @ShadowbladEdge you can't really call a show garbage without fully watching it.

Maybe you can't, but I sure can. I can look at the synopsis of a show and generally tell if it's good or not.

sm said:
    Would you call any other anime you didn't like after watching one episode garbage and drop it?

It would depend on how much I didn't like it, but that is a possibility. I still wouldn't drop it, because I don't drop stuff anymore.

sm said:
    Or in One Piece's case like 10 or so.

The aforementioned number wasn't 10 though, it was sixty-fucking-four. That's a ludicrous expectation. That's 3-5 other shows I could be watching in that time, likely with more pay off.

sm said:
    It's a good thing that it gets better over time wouldn't you think?

When people say stuff like this, generally, it's not about it getting progressively better, it about getting good period.

Oct 1, 2011 8:49 AM

I pretty much always drop the show right away if I'm not enjoying it at all. If I'm on the fence a bit, I'll keep watching in hopes of things improving. If things take a turn for the worse though, I'll usually drop it. There's more than enough anime for me to watch for a very long time, so I might as well stick with shows I actually like.

Oct 1, 2011 8:54 AM

Roll a wisdom check.

Oct 1, 2011 9:00 AM

Well, although it's a different taste for everyone... for me, no. If I like something, I'll watch. If I don't, I won't. Completion is a moot point to me.

Oct 1, 2011 9:19 AM

If I don´t like it, then I´ll drop it, it´s easy.

Oct 1, 2011 9:26 AM

Sometimes.
    For me, if you don't want the anime, then don't watch it. But if you're bored while watching an anime, try to finish the series because you already started it. Some anime's that are boring in the first episodes have also good ending so try to finish it.

But for the sake of completion, it's not wise to watch that anime specially f ou don't like it. Just Drop it and try to find entertaining ones.
    ---

Oct 1, 2011 9:32 AM

well yeah i do finish the anime that i dont like for the sake of completion
    Sorry For my Bad English ^_^

Oct 1, 2011 9:50 AM

I tend to try and complete everything I can. If it's a short series then I'll probably watch it over a couple month period alongside some other shows. If it's a long series then I'll watch some, put it on hold until I feel like watching more, and repeat. Luckily the only long series I've seen is One Piece and I find it quite enjoyable.

Generally though, I'll finish everything unless I utterly abhor it, in which case I'll drop it ASAP. This is very rare though, and I have to hate something significantly for it to get that treatment.

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »