Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion???

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Post New Reply
Nov 9, 2011 6:45 PM

JJandWine said:
Hell no. That's why there's a DROPPED option. Why waste your time?

Because it's their time to waste.

Nov 9, 2011 6:45 PM

Anime_Name said:
JJandWine said:
Hell no. That's why there's a DROPPED option. Why waste your time?

Because it's their time to waste.

i was JUST about to say that.. :/
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.

Nov 9, 2011 11:57 PM
I call it 'clearing up my "on-holds"'

Nov 10, 2011 3:22 AM

Well, if I hear from it's fans that it has sort of a crappy beginning then I'll give it one more try and watch some more episodes.If after that I still don't like it then I'll drop it.

Nov 10, 2011 3:47 AM

DrPopkorne said:
I honestly don't see a point in finishing it. Unless you are a hardcore reviewer who wants the full story, isn't the point of anime entertainment?

This website was created to be able to find anime similar to ones you like, and view feedback and reviews of other anime.. as well as keeping a list of your watched ones.

I think a lot of people just like to raise their "Days watching Anime"..
I'm kind of with you on this one. But I also agree with Anime_Name in that, "It is their time to waste." If they get a kick out of raising their "Days Watching Anime" number, so be it. If completing a series it is important to you for what ever reason, do so. If you are sufficiently satisfied that the series holds nothing more for you, drop it with no regrets. Everyone watches, or chooses not to watch, for different reasons. I can only share, with any sort of authority, what works for me.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

Nov 10, 2011 8:43 AM

If all of us here arel watching anime how is me or anyone else completing the anime we start considered "raising our days watching anime"? Most people that say they drop anime also imply that when they drop an anime they look for replacements in the hope of being entertained more. Thus "Days watching Anime" remain roughly the same.

Nov 10, 2011 9:02 AM
This is what I did with K-ON!
It just gave me more things to rant about XDDD
Depends on what floats your boat, imo ;p

Nov 11, 2011 11:05 PM

I personally don't have the patience to deal with a series I dislike, and I think I'm a much happier, saner anime viewer for it ^_^.

Nov 11, 2011 11:09 PM

Blah. I hate when people do that - I admit, I sometimes do this for my guilty pleasure shows.. But if an anime sucks that much and I feel like I'm suffering while I watch it, I just change shows. If not, I end up just spacing out and making fun of the plot in my head.

Why watch something terrible when there is better stuff out there?
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."

Nov 12, 2011 3:30 AM

Why watch something terrible when there is better stuff out there?

For one not liking(the topic of the thread) a show is not the same thing as a show being terrible. For two both not liking of a show and thinking a show is terrible are transient
states that can be changed upon seeing more of or completing an anime. The "Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw" topic offers plenty of examples of people continuing an anime they didn't like and having their dislike turn into like or even love. So yeah, it happens.
The feelings that a show an unseen anime is better than something else is just as transient as upon seeing any number of episodes show a person's lofty expectations could turn into complete disappointment leading to a chain of "Me no likey" drops.

Nov 12, 2011 8:16 AM

Well I generally don't continue to watch animes which I don't like. Before dropping it, I generally do enough research to ensure that I am not missing anything. So, my answer is no.

Dec 11, 2011 11:41 AM
If it's only twelve episodes then maybe. Sometimes there's a surprising one that's mostly unenjoyable, but by the last episode you grow to love it.

Dec 11, 2011 11:44 AM

Ye! Except if it's more than 26 episodes. If it is, then f**k it.

Dec 11, 2011 11:46 AM

Not. It is not wise in any way.
But I started to do that. Likely not to with Pokémon, but I'm masochisting my way through the harems I dropped.

Not the first time I post here, oops.

Dec 11, 2011 12:04 PM

Only when it is short.

Dec 11, 2011 12:09 PM

I watch anime purely for entertainment, I don't see any point continue watching when it's boring. Even if people say the story is awesome, I still can look for other titles with awesome story as well and delivered in a better way.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell

Dec 11, 2011 12:14 PM

... I watch anime because I enjoy it. Why would I purposely watch an anime that, after a couple episodes, I know that I won't enjoy?

Well-- there are a few exceptions to that... I only watched Full Metal Panic! because I borrowed the DVDs from someone at an anime club, and they were expecting me to finish the entire first season so that we could have an in depth conversation about it... OTL

Hmm... that really about it. Otherwise, I will immediately drop an anime whenever it starts to bore me.
Ha, that's probably why my completed list feels so small to me. xD I know I've seen more anime than that-- I just never actually completed the series.

Dec 11, 2011 12:18 PM

FatherAnderson said:
No, watching anime isn't a job it's for entertainment. If you're not being entertained then what's the point?

Who says that watching something "bad" can't be entertainment?

Dec 11, 2011 12:19 PM

Anime_Name said:

I agree with this but he asked if you should keep watching an anime you DON'T like. Which means he didn't enjoy it.

Dec 11, 2011 12:26 PM

FatherAnderson said:
Anime_Name said:

I agree with this but he asked if you should keep watching an anime you DON'T like. Which means he didn't enjoy it.

Entertainment =/= Enjoyment

Dec 11, 2011 12:43 PM

Anime_Name said:
FatherAnderson said:
Anime_Name said:

Entertainment = The action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.
Enjoyment = Something that gives pleasure
Hope that helps.

Dec 11, 2011 12:45 PM

Innoxious said:
Anime_Name said:
FatherAnderson said:
Anime_Name said:

Entertainment = The action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.
Hope that helps.

en·ter·tain
1. To hold the attention of with something amusing or diverting.

Pleasure is optional.

Dec 11, 2011 12:47 PM

Anime_Name said:
Innoxious said:
Anime_Name said:
FatherAnderson said:
Anime_Name said:

Hope that helps.

en·ter·tain

Pleasure is optional.

Optional for you, not for me =)

Dec 11, 2011 12:48 PM

Very wise.

Dec 11, 2011 12:55 PM

Innoxious said:
Anime_Name said:
Innoxious said:
Anime_Name said:
FatherAnderson said:
Anime_Name said:

Hope that helps.

en·ter·tain

Pleasure is optional.

Optional for you, not for me =)

Optional by definition. Which means a person(not just you) could be entertained by something but not necessarily like what they are seeing. If the person I quoted held that opinion personally I would have nothing to say but instead he made the comment about people in general.

Dec 11, 2011 1:17 PM

Anime_Name said:

Optional by definition. Which means a person(not just you) could be entertained by something but not necessarily like what they are seeing. If the person I quoted held that opinion personally I would have nothing to say but instead he made the comment about people in general.

Well, would you watch something you don't like from your very own opinion? Let's say you don't like blood, will you get entertained by watching someone cut a chicken in front of you? Will you enjoy looking someone being slaughtered in front of you?

Dec 11, 2011 1:21 PM

i dont like leaving things unfinished honestly.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 11, 2011 1:24 PM

Innoxious said:
Anime_Name said:

Well, would you watch something you don't like from your very own opinion? Let's say you don't like blood, will you get entertained by watching someone cut a chicken in front of you? Will you enjoy looking someone being slaughtered in front of you?

Well I used to visit places like Ebaum's World and SomethingAwful a lot, that should answer your question but let's keep the subject as close to anime as possible. I didn't like Blood-C but I watched it all and was entertained by how badly CLAMP tried to intergrate their style into the Blood:TLV franchise.

Dec 11, 2011 1:58 PM

Maybe... if I find anything pretty interesting about it, leads to extreme curiosity and have a tense feeling I need to finish it. If I think I won't find anything entertaining about it, I just drop it.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.

Dec 11, 2011 7:36 PM
My droped list only has 1 entry and it was a movie. I think its wise to finish it because then you can give a smart review based on your own experience. You never know if anything interesting happens unless you watch it till the end. I'll always finish what I start no matter how bad or how long it is.

Dec 11, 2011 7:44 PM
PU-C-CAT said:
My droped list only has 1 entry and it was a movie. I think its wise to finish it because then you can give a smart review based on your own experience. You never know if anything interesting happens unless you watch it till the end. I'll always finish what I start no matter how bad or how long it is.

That depends.

If you can make g, generalization with a 90% or higher certainty that its crappy..based on several assumptions based on your past knowledge of anime.

i.e. Akikan
and it turns out to be correct, well it's wise not to complete it.

On the other hand, if g, generalization value has a probability which is not certain, then its probably wise to continue if you think you can still be entertained/gain some enjoyment out of the series.

Dec 11, 2011 8:59 PM
I just drop everything I don't enjoy. It's a waste of time watching them when you could be doing things that you really love.
I have a few things I try to hold myself to though.
Don't rate it unless you watched at least half of it, unless it's an "endless" show or it's just beyond redemption.
Try to be considerate with long-running/"endless" shows... I find this pretty hard (have to give another chance to a few shows on my dropped list), but it is worth it if it can suck you in after a while (I loved One Piece from the start, so this hasn't happened to me yet:/).

There is always a chance that something you drop might have been really great later on and you miss out on it... but those chances are slim and I don't think it's worth it.

Dec 11, 2011 9:12 PM

Usually for anime I don't really enjoy/like, I will just put on-hold. I seldom drop anime because I take great effort to start one and I really don't have the heart to drop any (although I do drop some which I seriously can't stand). But it would take a very long time for me to finish my on-holds.

Dec 11, 2011 10:43 PM
were i dont think its wise just to watch for a completion, if you are already into an anime for about 25% of the show you might as well finish it. Who knows the same show you dont like may come back and surprise you. On this note i frequently do watch shows that i do not normally would watch on a day to day for the simple fact that my tastes might change or like i said it might surprise you. The biggest reason why i would watch anime out of my comfort zone is to increase my awareness of anime (to gain a palate if i will), i find it helpful to watch things that are popular but not exactly up my ally just to stay current. I find that people dont watch thing they dont like just because they haven't seen anything like it before. How can you what you like and dislike if you haven't seen it before. Also I think its important to make the commitment to yourself that when you begin and anime you go in with the full intention of finishing it and noticing its faults and strengths. That's how you become a true anime watcher

Dec 11, 2011 11:01 PM

Malestel said:
There is always a chance that something you drop might have been really great later on and you miss out on it... but those chances are slim and I don't think it's worth it.

The chances are always the same. The chances of not liking a different show at episode 1 is the same as the chances of not liking episode 687.

Dec 11, 2011 11:15 PM
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:

The chances are always the same. The chances of not liking a different show at episode 1 is the same as the chances of not liking episode 687.

I think if you didn't like the first 686 episodes (where did you pull that number from oO), then those chances (how many more chances in so few sentences... w/e) ARE higher with a new show :).

Or just re-watch. Can't go wrong there. I'd rather re-watch a great show than watch a mediocre one that I don't really enjoy.

Dec 11, 2011 11:20 PM

Nope, there are plenty of anime that I just refused to watch because they were so bad after I watched a couple of eps even if most people love them such as Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and One Piece.

Dec 11, 2011 11:32 PM

It depends on the person, really.

If you're the type of person who can drop the series without much care and really aren't enjoying it, then it isn't really worth to continue it if you really don't want to at all.

Then if you're the type of person who wonders about how each and every story line you encounter will end even if you don't like them, it's probably best to stick it out. That would be better than having recurring thoughts about the anime's development in the plot since you've dropped it.

Dec 11, 2011 11:35 PM

I don't normally continue watching beyond the sampling period of 2-4 episodes if i don't like the show. But since i test everything from a season i may end up watching shows that are less favored, but not downright hated. (For varying reasons or even just as filler)
Few odd exceptions are out there as i have finished a handful of series that i really shouldn't have.

Dec 11, 2011 11:37 PM

Malestel said:
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:

I think if you didn't like the first 686 episodes (where did you pull that number from oO), then those chances (how many more chances in so few sentences... w/e) ARE higher with a new show :).

Or just re-watch. Can't go wrong there. I'd rather re-watch a great show than watch a mediocre one that I don't really enjoy.

I said nothing about not liking the first 686 episodes.

Dec 11, 2011 11:45 PM
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:

I said nothing about not liking the first 686 episodes.

Oh, my bad, your comment actually makes sense that way xD
Modified by Malestel, Dec 11, 2011 11:51 PM

Dec 11, 2011 11:46 PM

To answer the OP question: no because there's better things to do.

Dec 12, 2011 12:10 AM

Malestel said:

Let's clarify. I am interpreting your use of "chances" to mean the probability of enjoyment. As such the probability to find enjoyment would the same across every episode of anime watched. Watching different anime would not effect the probability of finding enjoyment.

Dec 12, 2011 12:20 AM

@ OP

Yeah, I have to finish it... Even if it's appalling I just have to, I don't know why... (- - ")
About Haruhi 2009; jeez Endless Eight... That was painful.

Dec 12, 2011 1:21 AM
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:

Let's clarify. I am interpreting your use of "chances" to mean the probability of enjoyment. As such the probability to find enjoyment would the same across every episode of anime watched. Watching different anime would not effect the probability of finding enjoyment.

Sorry but that is just not true.
Age, gender, upbringing, social status, education etc. all heaviliy influence the probability of you liking a show and thus liking an episode (let's just say there is higher chance of liking the episode of a show you enjoy overall, than that of a show you don't). That is in the form of preference. I don't like ecchi, I don't like harem, I don't like shounen-ai, I don't like specific VA's. So on. The probability of enjoyment would be a lot higher on a show that is in the top 250, seinen or maturish shounen, or good shoujo. Or just the probability that I'll enjoy Natsume Yuujinchou Shi.
Let's say I enjoyed 80% of the episodes in my completed list, that is 4377 and 30% in my dropped list, that is 232. Overall 4609/6246 (let's not concern ourselves with episode length here, same could be done with time spent on). 73,791% chance of me liking an episode based on my dropped and completed list. I can tell you that the chances that I'll like pure shounen-ai or pure ecchi is below 30%. Chances that I'll like a sequel to an anime that is on my favourite list is above 90% (more like above 99).

I might've misunderstood you again, if so I'm sorry. Pretty tired atm.

Dec 12, 2011 1:54 AM

Malestel said:
Anime_Name said:
Malestel said:

Sorry but that is just not true.
Age, gender, upbringing, social status, education etc. all heaviliy influence the probability of you liking a show and thus liking an episode (let's just say there is higher chance of liking the episode of a show you enjoy overall, than that of a show you don't). That is in the form of preference. I don't like ecchi, I don't like harem, I don't like shounen-ai, I don't like specific VA's. So on. The probability of enjoyment would be a lot higher on a show that is in the top 250, seinen or maturish shounen, or good shoujo. Or just the probability that I'll enjoy Natsume Yuujinchou Shi.
Let's say I enjoyed 80% of the episodes in my completed list, that is 4377 and 30% in my dropped list, that is 232. Overall 4609/6246 (let's not concern ourselves with episode length here, same could be done with time spent on). 73,791% chance of me liking an episode based on my dropped and completed list. I can tell you that the chances that I'll like pure shounen-ai or pure ecchi is below 30%. Chances that I'll like a sequel to an anime that is on my favourite list is above 90% (more like above 99).

I might've misunderstood you again, if so I'm sorry. Pretty tired atm.

I never said the chances of liking or disliking an anime was the same for each person.
Nor am I going to manufacture numbers in order to make my case.

Dec 12, 2011 2:13 AM
Anime_Name said:

I never said the chances of liking or disliking an anime was the same for each person.
Nor am I going to manufacture numbers in order to make my case.

I restructured your comments in a way that actually makes sense to me.
If you meant it the way I think you did, then I agree, you are right. Let's leave it at that.

BTW statistics is all about manufacturing numbers.

Dec 12, 2011 7:36 AM

In my opinion: No. I personally watch anime for the enjoyment of a good story and to relax after a long day. There are always better things to do instead of forcing oneself to watch something that is not being enjoyed just for the thrill of increasing one's "completed" number. If I start watching something that isn't to my liking then my purpose for watching is defeated.

Dec 12, 2011 7:44 AM

I wouldn't put at as "is it wise" rather its more like "is it worth it?".

And for me, it depends on how long the anime is, how much I'm not liking it, and just how bored am I at the time.
If its real bad or I just can't get into it, I'll drop it like a rock.
If its something that started off decent enough, and doesn't have too many more episodes to go, pending on boredom versus how bad it gets, I might finish it just to be able to make a good opinion on it

With Stuff like Bleach or Naruto, where there is no end in sight I've started drifting in and out of them. Skipping bad filler arks and such. Not sure if I'd be bothered to go back and watch them either. I'd probably have to be really bored, and they'd have to be the english dub, that way I could do other things while I was watching.

My anime list | Could probably use some fancy words in my sig, but this is the best I got for now.

Dec 12, 2011 9:38 AM

well, to be honest i have so many animes on my "watching"-list right now..
but i'm quiet positive to make that list way smaller as i have holidays in 1 week 8)

to answer the question simply:
no
if you don't like something you shouldn't bother sticking with it anymore.
however, i do think that if you want to make a really "fair" judgement on an anime, you should complete it. (but that is just my personal opinion)

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »