Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion???

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Post New Reply
Nov 8, 2011 1:28 AM

I generally give something 4 to 6 eps, more if it is a long one, but once in a while one or two is enough. You don't get points for suffering through something you don' enjoy. I slogged through Clannad trying to figure what all the fuss was about, wondering what was wrong with me for not getting it. Well, there wasn't anything wrong with me and there wasn't anything for me to get. The show wasn't for me. Am I saying it was a bad show? No. It is just of a sort that doesn't generally appeal to me. Next time I'll trust me and not popular opinion. (Popular doesn't make it bad but neither does automatically mean it is something I will like.)

Remember,no one shoots a catgirl when you drop a show and there are no points for struggling through something that doesn't do it for you. It's not a competition. It is about enjoying something that moves you.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079

Nov 8, 2011 2:50 AM

Nope. My time is too precious to waste on anime I know I wouldn't enjoy.

Nov 8, 2011 3:36 AM

Ahhh...But I ENJOY completing what I've started. It overrides whatever qualms anyone else have about any series. The sense of satisfaction is quite different (and it's not for the epeen which is BS to me). It is in me to see that I pick up my clothes, make my bed, finish books (and return them to the library), organize my music collection, to sow seeds and take care of the plants, or fulfilling promises, etc. One day I'll croak so while I can, I try my best to be done with things so that I have little or no regrets about my life. I can understand why others may not be like me but completing what I've started is a huge part of my personality.

Nov 8, 2011 4:27 AM
Probably not. But I'm too stubborn to ever drop anything. It's the only reason I'd finish something like Hidan no Aria or Shakugan no Shana.
Modified by Himelda, Nov 8, 2011 9:42 AM
­

Nov 8, 2011 4:34 AM

Nope! If you don't like it, don't waste your time with it.

Nov 8, 2011 4:51 AM

I did once (because I had alot more patience when I started watching anime) but I tend not to anymore, though I do in cases of fairly short shows or really hyped stuff to try and understand what the fuss is about. I will say sitting through total crap does make you appreciate the great stuff a whole lot more, so there are merits to it.
Modified by deadleeserious, Nov 8, 2011 8:37 AM

Nov 8, 2011 5:19 AM

For the sake of completion is one thing, for the sake of seeing more of their favourite characters is another. Sometimes, people just watch the anime hoping that a plot hole would be filled up, or the past of their favourite character(s) is revealed.

I'm actually holding on to Bleach, even though I find nothing of interest in the current arc, just to see where KT is going with the plot. I need back-story. D:

Nov 8, 2011 7:11 AM

Ezekiel said:
Completing a story isn't satisfying if it bored you senseless/was thoroughly vapid or sucked and you know you could have spent your precious time on something more fulfilling. Unless you have that "Gotta catch em all" mentality.

I just said completing a story is satisfying for me. Now who knows me better, you or me? And finding something more fulfilling is a wonderfully lofty goal but it is not a given that what you watch next will be better than what you just dropped. The chance of finding something more fulfilling are the same chances that anime you're watching gets better.

KyuuAL said:
For example, Chrono Crusade. I watched episode 1-4, then 26. Based on that, I deemed it as crap. Totally bored the crap out of me; and the ending seemed pointless.

One word: Stupid

Remember,no one shoots a catgirl when you drop a show and there are no points for struggling through something that doesn't do it for you. It's not a competition. It is about enjoying something that moves you.

I've been moved by many a show I would have dropped if I was as fickle as some of the posters here.
The way some people drop anime with the excuse "That's not a 10. Time is money!!" looks like a race against time competition to me.

Nov 8, 2011 7:26 AM

No, I don't think there's a point. However, I also don't think it's wise to immediately drop a show due to not loving the first episode (or, hell, even the first five minutes). Give stuff a reasonable chance, but don't watch utter shit just to watch it.

Nov 8, 2011 7:26 AM

If it has only a few episodes and I dislike it I do force myself through for the whole completion thing. It's impossible to do that if you hate it.

Nov 8, 2011 8:04 AM

I am way too stubborn to drop a show unless I am just rewatching it. I hated the living shit out of School Days but I just couldn't drop it.

Nov 8, 2011 8:47 AM
Samurai_ said:
Nope! If you don't like it, don't waste your time with it.

This. It's a cartoon. If you can't find anything better to do with your time than watch a cartoon you don't even like, you're not looking hard enough.

Nov 8, 2011 11:32 AM

Pity that this thread lacks a POLL.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 8, 2011 11:37 AM

Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:
Completing a story isn't satisfying if it bored you senseless/was thoroughly vapid or sucked and you know you could have spent your precious time on something more fulfilling. Unless you have that "Gotta catch em all" mentality.

I just said completing a story is satisfying for me. Now who knows me better, you or me? And finding something more fulfilling is a wonderfully lofty goal but it is not a given that what you watch next will be better than what you just dropped. The chance of finding something more fulfilling are the same chances that anime you're watching gets better.

KyuuAL said:
For example, Chrono Crusade. I watched episode 1-4, then 26. Based on that, I deemed it as crap. Totally bored the crap out of me; and the ending seemed pointless.

One word: Stupid

I've been moved by many a show I would have dropped if I was as fickle as some of the posters here.
The way some people drop anime with the excuse "That's not a 10. Time is money!!" looks like a race against time competition to me.
For the most part I agree with you. By "not a competition" I mean no one is issuing points for having watched all episodes nor is anyone issuing point for the most anime seen. If completing an anime gives you satisfaction, go for it. I find satisfaction when I have completed something that evokes a positive emotional response and creates a memory. I'd rather keep the "what the hell did I watch that for?" to a minimum. I do find the "entertain me and do it quick" nature of some disheartening and I sure don't expect everything to be a 10. KyuuAL's experience with Chrno Crusade is a case in point. I think he missed something unique and creative but it is very possible that it would have turned him off regardless how many eps he watched. I bounced all over the place trying to like D.Gray-man. Didn't happen. Like mellors, I find I am far less likely put up with something that just isn't working for me than I was at one time. Did watch all of Blood-C hoping against hope that it would redeem itself but it was, thankfully, only 12 eps. Any longer and it would have been a drop, I'm sure.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character

Nov 8, 2011 11:53 AM

I find satisfaction when I have completed something that evokes a positive emotional response and creates a memory. I'd rather keep the "what the hell did I watch that for?" to a minimum

Well that's the assumption where people are failing at; That not liking an anime at any point prior to then ending would result in not liking the anime after completion. Since I complete most of the series I pickup I have not seen any such correlation. What I have seen is that very few anime are "good" all the way through. Positive emotions are overrated. Give me something with memorable story and I will be satisfied.

Nov 8, 2011 11:55 AM

lisnoire said:
Did watch all of Blood-C hoping against hope that it would redeem itself but it was, thankfully, only 12 eps. Any longer and it would have been a drop, I'm sure.

Based on that, I'm not even gonna start Blood-C. Thank you for saving my time from that. LOL.

I dunno, something about Chrno Crusade turned me off. That is all. Sometimes, these decisions are reactionary. So, don't try to sell it off to me.

Someone here mentioned Clannad. I liked Clannad; but I recognize that not everyone is gonna like it. Leave it at that.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Nov 8, 2011 11:57 AM

Anime_Name said:
Give me something with memorable story and I will be satisfied.

Then start watching classic movies from the 1940's and 1950's.

Nov 8, 2011 12:02 PM

KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:

*Comprehension fail*
That's completely off-topic and taken completely out of context.

Based on that, I'm not even gonna start Blood-C. Thank you for saving my time from that.

There wasn't anything said there to base anything off of. She said she didn't like it. You can find people saying that about every anime along with people saying the opposite. There's no substance in that comment.
Modified by Anime_Name, Nov 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Nov 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:

*Comprehension fail*
That's completely off-topic and taken completely out of context.

Something with a "memorable story" is not limited to just one "medium". I'm just seeing how varied you are... or are your views narrow?

Nov 8, 2011 12:07 PM

KyuuAL said:

Something with a "memorable story" is not limited to just one "medium". I'm just seeing how varied you are... or are your views narrow?

And yet this conversation is limited to one medium. Context.

Nov 8, 2011 12:11 PM

Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:

So, you have Context vs Perspective and Comparison.

I can drag in conversation pertaining to another medium for the sake of comparison. And who made you judge of this thread?

Nov 8, 2011 12:15 PM

Regardless of the entertainment medium - be it movies, animation, literature, sports, etc. -- there exist the sheer FACT that not ALL within a medium is worth a person's time.

Nov 8, 2011 12:15 PM

KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:

So, you have Context vs Perspective and Comparison.

I can drag in conversation pertaining to another medium for the sake of comparison. And who made you judge of this thread?

Dunno about the judge of this thread but I am the person whose text you quoted out of context. So I have the right to say you're talking about ducks when my comment was talking about apples. If you want to drag in a off-topic tangent into this then do so without misquoting me.

Nov 8, 2011 12:49 PM

Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:

You simply said it's satisfying and then used "you" in the following sentence. That sure didn't give me the impression that you were talking about yourself.

If I'm so disinterested in something and can't foresee that changing, it's highly improbable that I'll like it later; and if I do, it might not be worth all the wasted hours. I obviously have a higher chance of finding more enjoyable or stimulating things if I "drop" a few of the duller ones.

I'm not in a race nor am I only looking for masterpieces, as you put it, but my time and mental state are important to me.

Nov 8, 2011 12:57 PM

You simply said it's satisfying and then used "you" in the following sentence. That sure didn't give me the impression that you were talking about yourself.

Different sentences with different statements. I feel satisfied when completing an anime. Without completing an anime you will never be able to make well-informed opinion about an anime. See?

Nov 8, 2011 12:58 PM

Anime_Name said:

Different sentences with different statements. I feel satisfied when completing an anime. Without completing an anime you will never be able to make well-informed opinion about an anime. See?
No, you wrote "Completing an anime is sastisfying." I don't care what you meant, but don't mouth off to me if your sentence isn't clear.

Nov 8, 2011 1:11 PM

Ezekiel said:
Anime_Name said:

No, you wrote "Completing an anime is sastisfying." I don't care what you meant, but don't mouth off to me if your sentence isn't clear.

What's wrong with what I said. Completing an anime isn't satisfying?

Nov 8, 2011 1:17 PM

Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:
Anime_Name said:

What's wrong with what I said. Completing an anime isn't satisfying?
That's not the point.

Nov 8, 2011 1:20 PM

I've always did a bit of research about the anime that I'm going to watch first, therefore, I rarely drop the series. Even if other people say the anime is good, but I end up finding it rubbish, I still finish it. Even if I waste a week of my life. I have absolutely no idea what drives me to do that though.

Nov 8, 2011 1:25 PM

I'm doing it with Kobato. Cuz i downloaded it till episode 12..and then my internet goes off for like 1 mounth.So i had to watch it...even hating lol.So when my internet was up again ,i watched it till episode 15 ..i'll not drop it cuz i watched 15 epi already..one day i'll finish dat
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 8, 2011 1:50 PM

Anime_Name said:
I find satisfaction when I have completed something that evokes a positive emotional response and creates a memory. I'd rather keep the "what the hell did I watch that for?" to a minimum

Well that's the assumption where people are failing at; That not liking an anime at any point prior to then ending would result in not liking the anime after completion. Since I complete most of the series I pickup I have not seen any such correlation. What I have seen is that very few anime are "good" all the way through. Positive emotions are overrated. Give me something with memorable story and I will be satisfied.
For me the emotional response is what makes it memorable. I will resonate with the overall feel of the show long after I've forgotten specific details. Neither do I have to love everything about a show to make it memorable. I was recently discussing the original Last Exile, a show I do love and rate highly. Honestly, I cared very little about the three mains that happened to be kids but connected to several supporting characters as well as the overall concept and feel of the piece. Your way of watching anime is perfect for you, mine works for me, and even though I can't appreciate KyuuAL's approach, it works for him . . . . . even if I think he could modify it a bit. ;-)

KyuuAL said:
I dunno, something about Chrno Crusade turned me off. That is all. Sometimes, these decisions are reactionary. So, don't try to sell it off to me.
Wouldn't dream of it. You don't know how many people have tried to sell me on TTGL. I did try and it's not happening.

KyuuAL said:
Someone here mentioned Clannad. I liked Clannad; but I recognize that not everyone is gonna like it. Leave it at that.
I watched the w h o l e d a m n t h i n g trying to see why everyone was so crazy about it. I didn't care for it and I can't say I feel any sense of satisfaction in having completed it.
Modified by lisnoire, Nov 8, 2011 1:58 PM

Nov 8, 2011 2:01 PM

Wouldn't dream of it. You don't know how many people have tried to sell me on TTGL. I did try and it's not happening.

Looks like birds of a feather...

Nov 8, 2011 2:08 PM

If I don't like it, I'm not going to finish it. I usually choose my anime quite well, but sometimes I get a dud. To me, completing an anime just for completion's sake is like tagging this media with achievements/trophies or something. I feel those kinds of things ruined video games and I am not about to let it ruin my anime.
☆ (( クレイジー・サンシャイン )) ☆

Nov 8, 2011 2:58 PM

Lucky Star Sh1t. The only thing good from this series. The opening song. It's actually catchy:

As for the series itself -- boring. Full of "otaku" references that I don't care about. Too much dialogue. If this thing does have a story, it can probably be summed up into one sentence.

Nov 8, 2011 8:59 PM

Not really. I just don't like leaving an anime I've watched unfinished.
Like on my list, I haven't even added Negima (only in my PTW) but I only have the first DVD which contains the first six episodes and I have yet to buy the rest of it. Surprisingly, I like that series but I haven't completed watching yet.

Nov 8, 2011 11:25 PM

To a certain extent, yes. I mainly take on shows that are one cour, so if it turns out to be crap it isn't exactly a problem so long as I'm doing something else while watching.

Nov 8, 2011 11:42 PM

Akito_Kinomoto said:
To a certain extent, yes. I mainly take on shows that are one cour, so if it turns out to be crap it isn't exactly a problem so long as I'm doing something else while watching.

Thing is -- even if I multi-task -- I get irritated when something is on happens to suck.

Nov 8, 2011 11:44 PM

if its short, why not? you may find out that you actually like the anime in the end like i thought for blood-c *here comes the blood-c hate*

Nov 9, 2011 12:02 AM

Everything I've started on my list was all completed either it be bad or good i end it, as you can see i dropped 0 so far and it will continue to be that number.

Nov 9, 2011 12:10 AM

I do watch Anime even though it's not that good. For the sake of completion is one reason but for me Im still hoping "this" anime will be better after few episodes.

We don't watch Fairy Tail and One Piece for the sake of Completion. It's good so fuck off.

Nov 9, 2011 7:20 AM

Well, my 25+% guide and "inner voice" worked again. At 5 eps I was about ready to drop Chihayafuru as a boring school/romance/tournament/getstronger/blahblah. But, because it is a 25 ep series I went 6 eps and am glad I did. True to form, at ep 6 it took a turn that really grabbed my interest, history and traditional clothing, and seems to be taking a track that shows how people can be passionate about the same thing for different reasons. Interestingly, I almost dismissed it because of its synopsis but something kept telling me to watch it.

Nov 9, 2011 8:09 AM
Well, i think that even if you don't like it, you should complete watching it. Not for the sake of completion, but for the sole purpose of having the right to criticize it in full. Furthermore, some animes tend to go downhill midway, but then surprise viewers with an awesome ending which makes it worth it.

Nov 9, 2011 9:28 AM

I honestly don't see a point in finishing it. Unless you are a hardcore reviewer who wants the full story, isn't the point of anime entertainment?

This website was created to be able to find anime similar to ones you like, and view feedback and reviews of other anime.. as well as keeping a list of your watched ones.

I think a lot of people just like to raise their "Days watching Anime"..

Nov 9, 2011 9:47 AM

Completely Unwise but i still find myself doing it sometimes just hoping it gets better towards the end, so i can judge the series as a whole, as long as the series isnt too long.

Nov 9, 2011 11:39 AM

Blah, I think it's stupid. If you wish to make your list of completed animes high, you should watch animes that you like, not every crap you see on someone's list. -_-
Tell the victims to kill eachother.

Nov 9, 2011 12:34 PM

Evil_Mastermind said:
Blah, I think it's stupid. If you wish to make your list of completed animes high, you should watch animes that you like, not every crap you see on someone's list. -_-

Yea. I'm sitting here at about 270+ in the completed list. I have to admit. That list had pushed me to watch a bit more these past 2-3 years. However... having been a fan since... the early 90's... I feel as if I've already seen "everything". Of course, they still manage to produce something "new" and/or "interesting".

Nov 9, 2011 3:08 PM

I always complete anime, its kinda like a thing for me, no matter how bad it is. Who knows maybe it ends up being good. Or...maybe it ends up being another Mars of Destruction....*shutter*....

Nov 9, 2011 6:03 PM

well if it's cringe worthy, then drop it. If you can deal with it but know it's stupid or you just don't get it, and it's "supposed" to be good, might as well finish it then(if it's 26 eps, if it's like 50+... you really shouldn't). If not, your wasting your time.

Nov 9, 2011 6:14 PM
I'm not saying it is a good idea, but I do it all the time. Also, even if it is bad, you could always end up with the world's next School Days.

Nov 9, 2011 6:33 PM

Hell no. That's why there's a DROPPED option. Why waste your time?
It's been a while...

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »