Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 27, 2009 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
Not gonna mention all the loose ends, but regarding all those kids at the end, for some reason I assumed they were orphans picked up somewheres. I dunno, that was just my take.

And on the death of Alex, I thought it was fitting since all that really was keeping him going was revenge. Maybe not executed how I would have preferred, but I accept it.
Nov 2, 2009 8:14 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, just so many loose ends to tie up. I was okay with Mullin's miraculous return but but what about the Exile? Where was it headed? And what the hell was that hour glass object?

As for Dio who took up a significant amount of screen time, his death/disappearance was really pathetic to say the least.....
Nov 2, 2009 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
Nayah said:
And what the hell was that hour glass object?

If you pause and take a close look at that hourglass, there appears to be two balls, or rather, worlds, one in each side, with a bottleneck in the middle. I assume that one is Dusis, the other Anatore, with the Grand Stream in the middle.
Nov 2, 2009 4:18 PM

Feb 2008
Well, ever since the first episode, the anime made no attempt to identify the "Last Exile" universe with names of places just being bombarded to us without even giving us a bearing of their location relative to one another. Closet thing to a map of the world is that of the Grand Stream but even that wouldn't make much sense. So yeah, I kinda lost interest in their world around mid way through the anime.

Besides if you say were true, those flocks of bird (forgotten what they were) must have one hell of an endurance to be able to travel from one world to another and through the Grand Stream too if I might add...
Nov 28, 2009 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
Well for Dio i think point was so she would die in that screen.
Bbut point was probably she did come back from whatever they made it into som mindles zombie. And remembered her frend. But she could survive on her own too probably after all her airplane didn't explode or whatever she could catch on. And prety soon safly get to ground since Grand Stream was eliminated at activation of Exile ship.

For Mullin... most pepl don't yust die if you shoot them a bit and they bleed till they pass out. Mind thou the thing that tehy were asolting was on same big ship that they were on so help was probably there soon nad thouse survived.

For how he came there so fast, well it was obviusly some time leeps in last sceens, probably some week or so. After all they bery the captain and make fly by.
For original peace airplane of fathers... found ship. what i can amagine you don't yust stumble upon at first you enter and probably the one that found was those that stood beside them, and they are obviusly not in batle gear any more so some time pased and they had to fly to other side to investigate too althou path is now cleared from winds and storm.
After that sceen i think most of pepl went on ship and left the space thing they were on for so much time. And all that is allredy back on earth.
Dec 13, 2009 9:36 PM
Nov 2008
Why does everyone question Dio's death and not how Alex survived falling from the Grand Stream as well? His voice is most definitely heard (disembodied however) after his fall and is shown in an official photo. Canon or not, I got the impression he survived first time watching it since i thought Alex's circumstances were similar, though it could have been wishful thinking, everyone in the picture is surprised hes alive as well. Regardless of loose ends I enjoyed it the whole way through and after rewatching it still remains in my top 10 favorites.
Dec 31, 2009 10:12 PM

Oct 2009
I was seriously bummed when Lucciola died, but when Dio died thinking that Lucciola was still there in the vanship with him until the end, I felt more at peace with their deaths..even though he was a gift, they became friends till the end.
Regarding Alex, I thought it was awesome that he personally, by his own hands, killed Delphine.. I really thought he was going to be able to escape the guild ship in time, and it was really sad when it was by Sophia's command that he died, and how Mila (I think that's her name) lied about his last words to make Sophia feel better and more at peace with her decision to fire at the guild ship.
Yeah there were a lot of loose ends, and Exile still confuses me a bit, but I loved the concept of this series, and the art style, and how the characters weren't all flat and one-dimensional.
Jan 10, 2010 5:46 PM

Feb 2008
I really liked the show and would have given it a 9 except for the last episodes wish did seem a bit disjointed and rushed. The ending with Dio upset me the most from the rescue, to leaving him at the hospital, and him miraculously showing up in a vanship behind them. Everything else was great, so I'm just complaining about a part of the ending. Definitely worth watching!
Feb 10, 2010 7:17 PM

Jul 2009
Good Series Great Ending... 8/10
Feb 15, 2010 8:51 PM
Oct 2009
twas a good series. the ending had a...few spots that should of been answered, but i still liked it
Mar 10, 2010 3:59 PM
Mar 2009
well the story in a few worlds.

1st all the world is inside a massive station and the grand stream was probably used just to hide the guild ...

2nd the last exile left with many kids and went to restart life on earth (i guess thats the blue planet hehe).

3rd we have no info on what happened to the remaining ppl but without the guild i guess they lived in peace.

4th all those kinds were just kids that went with the last exile space ship.

5th i am sure sophia knew he didnt die with her name :-( sadly... she was so pretty.

last i wished the had 1 more episode ... like a short future story, starting from the end of the world to when they arrived at earth... would had been the perfect ending.
Mar 24, 2010 9:42 PM
Jan 2009
Chomechan said:
Last Exile ended well enough IMO - it covered most of the important things (like ending the war and all). But it would have been nice if there was just one more episode so it didn't have to rush, and could have a bit more of an epilogue. Even just 10 more minutes probably would have helped quite a bit.

My take on character fates:

Dio - I don't see how it is possible for him to have survived, since he's a million feet in the air and got flung off a vanship in the biggest storm in the world. Since Dio was never mentioned again afterwards, I assumed he died. Tragic, yes, but that's how it goes sometimes. I thought it was both very sad and very fitting.

Mullin - They obviously wanted to make us think he died when he got shot, but the creators were just pulling a fast one on us apparently. Mullin must have gotten medical attention fast enough and barely managed to survive. I'm guessing he was still stuck in bed, so he couldn't attend the funeral for Claus and Lavie's dads (which Dunya was at, to receive the message tube that Claus and Lavie's dads were going to bring to Disith).

Alex's revenge on Delphine - Not the most ingenious kill, but hey, whatever works. I did find it terribly tragic how Sophia ended up (inadvertently) killing him, and how the communicator girl (forget her name) had to lie about what name Alex's dying breathes worded.

the Last Exile - I'm assuming it's the space ship. It seemed to me that Claus, Lavie, and Alvis were somehow able to pilot it, so that anyone that wanted to go to Earth (or whatever planet it was) could come. Regarding the kids - at first I thought the scene was a distant flashforward and they were Mullin and Dunya's kids, but Alvis didn't age at all. So it seems that the kids are just - I don't know, a nephew and niece of Dunya's, or something.

So nothing was really set in stone regarding romance at the end, but hey, Claus is still just 15, right? He's got plenty of time - Lavie and Tatiana are still around with him, so he can take his time deciding. =P (Or hey, Allister is there... and so is Alvis, who to my surprise is 11 years old [she looks 8 to me], so give her a few years, eh?)

All in all I felt all the characters got fitting-enough conclusions, though I was always hoping to find out more about Alvis. She'll have to settle for just being adorable, I suppose.

It never said he died, because at the last episode in the engine room of the ship you can hear him yelling "ascending!", so it remains unknown wether or not Dio did die.
I hope he lived, because he was my favorite character. :3

I was told that the children in the last part were Dunya's younger siblings. That's why no one aged.
Apr 9, 2010 5:12 AM

Apr 2009
The ending was rushed a bit..maybe we still need a season 2 or OVA to clear things up..
about Dio..he died IMO..

9/10 for the enjoyment..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2010 6:40 AM

Nov 2009
I really liked last episode even though it didn't give me any, or some partial, answers to questions i have. I can live with it and probably will re-watch whole series one day. It's worth it.

Overall enjoyment for the whole series - 9/10.
May 22, 2010 9:27 PM

Jul 2009
I finished this series about a year or so ago and I was never one confused by what Exile is or thought the ending had a lot of holes....

Anyway I want to clear up one thing about Exile though, did any of you actually read the description of it in the DVD insert? Oh right...I'm forgetting half of you likely got it illegally online, well whatever I'll quote it on here for you then.

Exile is an immense interstellar spaceship build for transporting colonies of people. Its graceful design is based on the bodyline of the female figure.

Originally, Exile was developed to transport people from Earth to Prester. From that time until its discovery, it had been sealed in the Grand Stream. All of its system functions are automated, requiring neither pilot nor directions to arrive at Prester. The system is programmed to only require the input of Alvis' activation code in order to return to Earth. Furthermore, after returning to Earth, Exile can travel to Prester and back again to Earth without any assistance.

The body of Exile emits a protective field to shield it from elements such as cosmic dust, and unlike in its cocoon stage, it is not fitted with any special defense weaponry. It is thought that the two enormous wings are solar-sails which also act as heat radiators.

So there you have it, that's why it was empty, 'cause it only needs Alvis' code and after that, it's completely automated.
-Secret-May 23, 2010 6:24 AM

Close the world,
.txƎᴎ ɘht ᴎɘpO
Jun 18, 2010 12:45 AM

Nov 2009
-Secret- said:
I finished this series about a year or so ago and I was never one confused by what Exile is or thought the ending had a lot of holes....

Anyway I want to clear up one thing about Exile though, did any of you actually read the description of it in the DVD insert? Oh right...I'm forgetting half of you likely got it illegally online, well whatever I'll quote it on here for you then.

Exile is an immense interstellar spaceship build for transporting colonies of people. Its graceful design is based on the bodyline of the female figure.

Originally, Exile was developed to transport people from Earth to Prester. From that time until its discovery, it had been sealed in the Grand Stream. All of its system functions are automated, requiring neither pilot nor directions to arrive at Prester. The system is programmed to only require the input of Alvis' activation code in order to return to Earth. Furthermore, after returning to Earth, Exile can travel to Prester and back again to Earth without any assistance.

The body of Exile emits a protective field to shield it from elements such as cosmic dust, and unlike in its cocoon stage, it is not fitted with any special defense weaponry. It is thought that the two enormous wings are solar-sails which also act as heat radiators.

So there you have it, that's why it was empty, 'cause it only needs Alvis' code and after that, it's completely automated.

Oh, wow. That little bit just answered so many of the questions that I had afterward. Thanks for posting that. Though, I believe that it would have been nice to have at least one more episode to help alleviate the rushing through of all the information that is thrown at you in the last ten minutes.
Gangler said:

Yes. TAMNI is the first story ever to portray the Roman Catholics in a negative light. This show destroyed the unblemished reputation of that church.

Next on their list of good names to defame: Richard Nixon.
Feb 5, 2011 8:03 AM

Jan 2009
lol such confusing ending, i dont get if they were all taken back to earth by the Exile spaceship or the Exile spaceship is the only one that leaves

and yes the Exile ship was made on earth first, its a intergalactic spaceship that travels to space finding world that can be a habitat for the human race

and Alex death is a tragic one just when he was about to move on after he accomplish his revenge then later planning to love Sophia, the unaware Sophia fired a missile at him accidentally, what a waste of good love ending right there lol

and Dio dang he became to dependent on Luciliolla and that causes his death

overall good series, although im not gonna add it to my list lol because the animation could have been so much better imo, the drawing style and animation is too low quality for my list of good animated anime

now im ready to wait and watch the second Last Exile
Feb 11, 2011 6:30 PM
May 2010
God, I hate these types of ending. I don't care if the DVD thingy explained some of it, you're supposed to do it in the anime. While some of it is understandable after applying thought, there are still many unanswered questions...

For example, why and how is Alvis related to Exile?

I tried looking at Wikipedia for an answer to that one, and it clearly says, "It is never revealed how Alvis came to be the guardian of the Mysteria and the one who can activate Exile."

I'm not going to be too hard on it though, it is anime-original. Studios need to do attempt this more often, and I certainly respect Last Exile for it what it has achieved.

7/10.
Feb 12, 2011 8:25 AM

Sep 2009
Think I'll actually rewatch this someday.

Why is everyone so convinced that Moran Shetland died? Back at ep 23 I said I believed he was alive
because they never actually Showed him dead. just bleeding

I would more believe that Dio was dead, getting flung off his vanship like that
I thought it was quite fitting his saying "was it because I told you to get off?"
Poor thing.

the child is Dunia's sibling and the others are just ppl who came to the "new world" Earth
I say earth because they called it "the blue star" so that's gotta be us right
so a bunch of ppl boarded Exile and went to the new world Alvis saw in her dream
And since the dvd info said that Exile could make the trip again and again
I'd think that more ppl from their original world would be able to come
even if they werent on the first trip with Claus and they.
Jul 11, 2011 5:02 AM

Dec 2009
I loved this series. Although the ending did feel a bit rush, with that evil lady dying in a simple and anti-climatic way, it was still great.

I cant wait for the new series that is coming out.
Jul 23, 2011 7:54 AM

Jun 2010
goblinlady said:
A few loose ends, but they were fitting.
I found Dio's death relevant. Luciola died to protect him, and Dio died because he needs Luciola by his side. In the end, their friendship was everything to both of them.
What a perfect ending.

Couldn't have said it better my self
Riveting is rosy, pockets full of posies, given to the mother of the deceased. Awaken at war, 'til I'm restin' in peace
Aug 26, 2011 12:22 AM
Feb 2010
From what I understood both Dio and Alex died. (Yes, I heard Dio’s voice after he was supposed to be dead, while the Silvana was “ascending.”) Alex definitely died. I mean, Sophia visited his grave at the end. So I don’t understand how people are confused about Alex’s death.

Since I have a “romantic mind,” at first I thought that the two children were the spawn of Dunya and Mullin. (As in: Dunya and Mullin got busy during the war and Dunya was already preggers during the battle in which Mullin got shot.) But after reasoning it out, I’ve decided that they’re just random Disith children or perhaps related to Dunya.

Zutara said:
I was seriously bummed when Lucciola died, but when Dio died thinking that Lucciola was still there in the vanship with him until the end, I felt more at peace with their deaths..even though he was a gift, they became friends till the end.

Me too, but I was even more bummed when Dio died. But apparently Dio is alive because he’s listed as one of the characters in the sequel. (Unless he’s a flashback sequence character.)

-Secret- said:
Anyway I want to clear up one thing about Exile though, did any of you actually read the description of it in the DVD insert? Oh right...I'm forgetting half of you likely got it illegally online, well whatever I'll quote it on here for you then…

I watched the series on DVD as well, so I wasn't confused by what Exile was. I guess Prester is the galaxy that contains Anatoray, Disith, and the Grand Stream. (Funny how "Prester" was never mentioned during the series.) After Alvis activated Exile, it returned to Earth to pick up more colonists and/or supplies?

I still can’t decide if all the kids went to Earth via Exile or ended up back in Prester at the end. At first, I thought all the kids were still in Prester and Exile left with none of the characters on board. I thought both Anatoray and Disith just had become green because more rain came and the ice melted due to the Grand Stream and Guild both being no more. However, after re-watching the final sequence I’m more confused about this than ever. (It does show the kids looking back at Prester while aboard Exile, so should I even be confused?)

I liked that the series was so detailed and intricate, however there were major problems with the plot and a lot of the characters seemed to have unnatural thought processes. I also like how the title of each episode was related to the game of chess.

I’m giving it a 7.
blindassassinAug 26, 2011 1:16 AM
Sep 22, 2011 11:37 PM
Sep 2011
j0x said:
overall good series, although im not gonna add it to my list lol because the animation could have been so much better imo, the drawing style and animation is too low quality for my list of good animated anime

Oh come on! this was aired/made on 2003 so compared to animation these days this is obviously not quite as good. The animation here is great compared to the other anime of the same period. The sad thing is that some anime being aired now actually has worse animation quality than this. Oh well I guess it depends on the budget.

*I know it's late but I just can't help but reply to such a comment*
Oct 18, 2011 1:02 AM

Nov 2010
19:01. Look at Claus' Harem!!!!

lol all this discussion and that is all I have to say.
Nov 11, 2011 6:28 PM

Sep 2010
My view at this is that they all lived on the same planet, but it was separated in two sides by the grand stream, which was originated from the Last exile, which upon activation, cleared the skies, melted the ice and brought the rain (some sort of terraforming), and thus everyone stayed on the same planet but the planet was "fixed"...

Watching the sequel will help a lot with some of the pending questions...
I don't expect justice. I expect revenge, even if it solves nothing in the end.
I don't expect redemption. I expect decadence and self destruction.
I don't expect compassion. I expect selfishness.
I don't expect people making choices. I expect a cruel fate forced upon them.
Dec 1, 2011 8:01 AM
Jun 2009
I can't help but feel sad about Alex's death...I think it was great (he got his revenge and it was really dramatic when wina said she heard his voice *the look on sophia's face*) but still.....

I'll give this series an 8/10. :))
Dec 4, 2011 3:34 AM

Apr 2011
Kinda wish Alex lived too.

But we'll see if Gonzo brings him back from the dead. Alex and Sophia would make a nice couple.

I enjoyed Last Exile till the end. I really had fun ride watching it from start to finish, but there's still things that doesn't make sense in the last episode.
MagitoDec 4, 2011 3:48 AM
Dec 22, 2011 9:28 AM

May 2010
I know some things doesn't make any sense but still it managed to bring sense of satisfaction and fulfillment for me.

Kinda sad that Alex Row has to die and in the most dramatic way. Maestro Delphine's death was also simple but kinda lacking.

And yes!! Mullen is still alive. I knew it. He got his own family now. So glad to see him again.

Regarding the "Last Exile", I don't know if I understood it well but to be actually made from the blue star "Earth" is interesting.

Overall, the series simply delivered the beauty of dreams and adventure. 8/10!
Dec 22, 2011 9:41 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
StormViruz said:
Maestro Delphine's death was also simple but kinda lacking.

Ah, but I'm sure Alex found it far from lacking! :)
Dec 22, 2011 10:30 AM

Oct 2011
Um.. Last Exile was a 10 for me but went down to a 9. Every episode was perfect until the end. I actually hated the ending. Way too many things unanswered. Dio's death was in vain. All this time building his character and relationship with Claus and everyone and he just dies alone, forgotten. Even Claus said he was a friend, but I guess not. Delphine's death was stupid. Was expecting something way more horrid after everything that bitch did. Alex.. I'm glad he died. Never liked that jerk. Good to see how the world is a better place now though.. But yeah I'm unsatisfied.
Dec 27, 2011 2:08 AM

Mar 2010
About Alex:
Though I think he did die, there was a little hint that he did not.
This frame. Right after a Silvana crewman says that there's debris of Delphine's ship falling on the ground.
It's a human body (you can see it in motion a bit afterwards) and looks a lot like Alex to me. The legs are folded in this frame, but they're there (again, you can see it when it's in motion).
Of course, there's no proof that this isn't a dead body.
The grave could be just empty and just there as a memorial, but I guess they would've found him if he survived.
Also, it would make his final scenes a bit meaningless.
Oh, and I'm not sure if you can call that a spoiler...

Dio survives - he's still alive in the second season of Last Exile.
Jan 10, 2012 4:52 AM

Apr 2011
Erzaa said:
Um.. Last Exile was a 10 for me but went down to a 9. Every episode was perfect until the end. I actually hated the ending. Way too many things unanswered. Dio's death was in vain. All this time building his character and relationship with Claus and everyone and he just dies alone, forgotten. Even Claus said he was a friend, but I guess not. Delphine's death was stupid. Was expecting something way more horrid after everything that bitch did. Alex.. I'm glad he died. Never liked that jerk. Good to see how the world is a better place now though.. But yeah I'm unsatisfied.

I'm exactly the same, the ending really soured what had been an almost perfect series. Lucciola's death was beautiful, but after that it all crashed in a heap. Especially appalling was the complete trashing of that odd, complex relationship between Claus and Dio, that they'd spent half the series building, and Dio suddenly being pretty much forgotten. I think I spent most of the last 3 episodes thinking, where the hell's Dio and why doesn't Claus care anymore?

Mullin Shetland magically surviving was also stupid, since it was plain from Dunya's reaction that he was dead. If someone you love has been shot but is still alive, you don't walk away and leave them to bleed. Either he's dead or Dunya's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to check for a pulse, and left him to bleed his life away while she went and cried her eyes out.

It's a shame, because I was really loving the series up until that point, but now I can't look back at it without feeling almost betrayed. When an ordinary series has a crappy ending, it's no great loss, but this one was a real waste.
Jan 10, 2012 9:56 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
antisense said:

I'm exactly the same, the ending really soured what had been an almost perfect series. Lucciola's death was beautiful, but after that it all crashed in a heap. Especially appalling was the complete trashing of that odd, complex relationship between Claus and Dio, that they'd spent half the series building, and Dio suddenly being pretty much forgotten. I think I spent most of the last 3 episodes thinking, where the hell's Dio and why doesn't Claus care anymore?

Mullin Shetland magically surviving was also stupid, since it was plain from Dunya's reaction that he was dead. If someone you love has been shot but is still alive, you don't walk away and leave them to bleed. Either he's dead or Dunya's a complete idiot who doesn't know how to check for a pulse, and left him to bleed his life away while she went and cried her eyes out.

It's a shame, because I was really loving the series up until that point, but now I can't look back at it without feeling almost betrayed. When an ordinary series has a crappy ending, it's no great loss, but this one was a real waste.

We all get different things out of the same show. I found the ending good.

Regarding Dio, I never got the impression Claus considered him a close enough friend to be distracted by him given everything else going on - Claus had to be focused on keeping Alvis safe and to Exile so she could do her thing - taking care of Dio when he appeared to be trying to sabotage what Claus was doing was surely a low priority for Claus. Dio's "death" (as it seemed at the time) might have been in vain, but in war many people die in vain.

Regarding Mullin - (shrug) - not sure what I an say there other than when in combat everybody reacts differently - there were a lot of dead and dying bodies around, and what I took away was that Dunya appeared to be in shock from it all and when she saw his butchered body and the huge pool of blood on the floor she just broke. I've personally never been in combat but what I've read a lot about read about people's reactions - her reaction didn't seem unreasonable from what I've read, so I'm not going to second guess it.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.
Jan 17, 2012 1:55 AM

Aug 2010
Badly written show but entertaining nonetheless.

Dio made it worthwhile. So fucking sad he had to die. Oh well.. at least Mullen miraculously came back to life.
Feb 23, 2012 4:10 AM

Aug 2007
Too many things left for speculation, lots of loose ends.

I still liked the series despite its flaws.
Mar 4, 2012 12:21 PM

Jul 2010
Happy face :)
I'm really sad about Alex though :/ He did fulfill his desire in the end so it's alright :D

Nice, conclusive ending to a great show with great pacing.
^ There were loose ends, as others pointed out, but that's why there's another season. But it still ended the main plot well, so I can't complain.

The show gets an 8 from me :) It used to be a 9, but things got less awesome towards the end.
Apr 20, 2012 11:54 AM
Jun 2010
Hmm, finished the series in a few days, and the ending... I was kinda hoping Lavi would die =P I actually detest her character. While watching this I couldn't help but notice how alike it is with Eureka Seven, and while Claus wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Renton, Lavi wasn't anywhere near as perfect as Eureka (character wise).
I doubt Dio actually died, and I was kinda going "WTF MAN!" when Mullin died... And then they had this funeral looking thing with dark-skin babe and Lavi handing over the treaty, and crying and such, THEN SUDDENLY, A WILD MULLIN APPEARS 30 SECONDS BEFORE CREDITS! I loved dark-skin babe so much that I'm willing to accept a mystical resurrection, just cause they're both awesome.

My understanding of the ending was that they all went on Exile back to Earth, and the time lapse would have to have been at least 4-5 years, as Mullin's kid is like, somewhere between 3-4, maybe older.

I WANTED TATIANA TO BE THE LOVE INTEREST! SCREW YOU STORYLINE! Man, Lavi.... TATIANA, WHY!?
Apr 23, 2012 10:21 PM

Apr 2011
Justwon said:
Hmm, finished the series in a few days, and the ending... I was kinda hoping Lavi would die =P I actually detest her character. While watching this I couldn't help but notice how alike it is with Eureka Seven, and while Claus wasn't anywhere near as annoying as Renton, Lavi wasn't anywhere near as perfect as Eureka (character wise).
I doubt Dio actually died, and I was kinda going "WTF MAN!" when Mullin died... And then they had this funeral looking thing with dark-skin babe and Lavi handing over the treaty, and crying and such, THEN SUDDENLY, A WILD MULLIN APPEARS 30 SECONDS BEFORE CREDITS! I loved dark-skin babe so much that I'm willing to accept a mystical resurrection, just cause they're both awesome.

My understanding of the ending was that they all went on Exile back to Earth, and the time lapse would have to have been at least 4-5 years, as Mullin's kid is like, somewhere between 3-4, maybe older.

I WANTED TATIANA TO BE THE LOVE INTEREST! SCREW YOU STORYLINE! Man, Lavi.... TATIANA, WHY!?
Haha!

Lavi forever!
Jan 7, 2013 11:12 PM

Mar 2012
ihateuimeanit said:
Pretty good series, but after the harem almost scene... It went downhill -___-
But still they ended it with a very good --almost impossible-- ending, so I'll put a 9/10 just to annoy people! ^^

Why would giving it a 9/10 annoy people? I think that's a fair score for Last Exile.
Jan 22, 2013 4:37 PM
Feb 9, 2013 8:47 AM
Feb 2013
Looked alright. Even after a decade, the animation is still beautiful.

Delphine deserved a more fitting death (I actually liked her), but I do have to say she looked pretty even after she died. I liked that little touch of animation they did with her body being blown away.
Feb 14, 2013 6:57 AM

Jan 2012
Well, I didn't feel convinced about that Exile thing, but atleast it was a happy ending. Also best part without any doubt was when Alex killed Delphine, there was nothing I wanted more that to see that annoying bitch dead. That alone made the ending satisfying enough for me. In any case, Last Exile was a really good watch.

Mar 1, 2013 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
like this ending but it's better if Alex wouldn't die..
Apr 4, 2013 6:48 AM

Jan 2009
That was really one of the best series I've seen in a while. I loved the adventure of it, it was for the most part really fun.

Towards the end I wasn't sure if this was the kind of anime to actually kill off major characters, in a tragic way like that... But then when we were led to believe Mullin died, and Luciola died... I wasn't too surprised - but still incredibly sad - when Alex died.

But regarding Alex's and Dio's deaths... Or "deaths"... I want to believe what people say about Dio, especially since his death ("death") was rather glossed over, no mourning, no mention, nothing. His presence wasn't missed (well, he only did just become likable to the main characters a few episodes before the conclusion)... Maybe he isn't dead? I don't know what to make of it. As for Alex, I'm really upset about that, but, his death seems rather expected. I mean, he was out for revenge, and that didn't change the whole course of the series. That was what he was living for, he didn't seem to have much left of him after Euris died... The prospect of one day avenging her death was probably what kept him going so long after her death, even if he became an unsociable grump, lol. So when he died after getting his revenge, at the tragic hands of Sophia no less... It felt kind of...right.

Still not happy he died, but if he just magically survived that and went back to the Silvana, it wouldn't have felt very final. Sadly it just seems that's where his journey ends. Damn though, I was hoping someday, maybe years down the road, Sophia could get through that coldness of his. Meh, that's a pipe dream.

But I still want to believe that they didn't find Alex's body, and perhaps that was an empty grave, and they assume he's dead... Lol, not the case at all of course. But hey, Mullin came back and I was so sure he was dead. =[ Glad he came back though, he was awesome. xP

Well. Aside from the deaths or not deaths... It was an okay finale. A lot of things were left unanswered or without closure, but by that point I was kind of sucked up in the drama and action of the last episodes that I wasn't thinking too much about it. I know there are answers outside the show itself, in DVD booklets or magazines, but... It would've been cool to learn more about Exile, Alvis, the Guild (curious people), what becomes of Lavie and Claus' relationship, what the Silvana is up to/its next mission under presumably Sophia's command, why Exile acted the way it did and why it was supposedly obeying Delphine even with only 3 'poems' (forget the other word for them), etc...

I don't see them as plotholes rather things that weren't entirely necessary to answer, but were just things that would've been nice to have answered...but still entirely possible to forget about or fill in the blanks yourself. I'm not going to sweat over the origins of Exile, lol, but it'd be nice to do more than speculate. Still, not necessary for me to have enjoyed this series.

Which I fully did enjoy. I give it a final 9/10. The overall journey is most important, not necessarily the conclusion you arrive at, and that's how I see this show.
May 22, 2013 7:13 PM

Dec 2009
Enjoyed this series quite a bit! Sorta reminded me a bit of Eureka Seven, probably should have been as long. Glad I'm not the only one feeling left with unanswered questions. I actually kinda like that some of the characters we connected with died, some you win others you lose like real life.

7/10
Such junk...
May 30, 2013 3:30 PM
Jun 2009
Nobody was in awe in the scene where Alvis erased the omnipresent grand stream in a instant? After that you could see Anathorey on the other side of the hourglass in their artificial world. The climatic aberration seems to have been fixed, so they can leave in peace on both sides again.

This whole ending scene was a rare opportunity to see sufficiently advanced technology. Technology indistinguishable from magic.
Jun 15, 2013 8:50 AM
May 2013
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see the characters having gone back to Earth at all.
I see the world on which they currently resided as having been finally "repaired" by the last Exile.
No question that a lot wasn't handed to the viewer on a silver platter with regards to concrete explanations, but I see Exile as, among other things, a terraforming device.
I think that this was indeed a colony world, and that the Exiles were transport ships as well as terraforming devices, which had, for whatever reason, failed to compete the terraforming.
Because the existing state of the world worked very nicely for Delphine, she wanted to ensure that the Exile was never allowed to fulfill it's purpose, thereby leaving her as absolute ruler and in a position of unchallenged privilege.

As for Dio, despite the aforementioned official picture, I think he's dead, and while I would have hoped for his possible redemption and return to the fold, I think his ending works well with the story. I don't know that Dio's memory came back to be honest. I still think he was completely messed up from whatever the heck Delphine had done to him, and in that state firmly believed that Lucciola had actually jumped from the Vanship when he told him to.
I think that if Dio's memory had come back, he would have been a complete basket case realizing that he had killed so many people during the rite and lost his lifelong friend as well.
Death may have been a mercy for him.

Alex and Delphine...while I was glad Delphine finally got it, and gratified that it was at Alex's hand, it almost seemed too easy. That Alex died shortly afterwards is sad, but LE was written as a more serious story, and part of it being that is to have central characters die.

And while what I'm about to say flies directly in the face of what I just said, I'm glad they let Mullin live.
To be honest, I needed a bit of "happy ending" from a character standpoint in order to leave LE feeling truly satisfied.
I'm also going to believe that some of the children seen at the end are Claus and Lavie's for the same reason.
For me, Claus and Lavie belonged together and it was only a matter of time before the bonehead realized it.

All in all, I'd have to say that last Exile was phenomenal, and stands as a shining example of what anime can be when it's not pandering to adolescents.
It was well written. the characters were entirely consistent and believable, the artwork and animation were beautiful, and Gonzo somehow managed to do the entire thing without a single panty shot or boob grope.

I wish there was more like this.
Jul 26, 2013 8:24 PM

Sep 2011
So many victims, all tried so hard, and eventually kills the captain with his bare hands Maestro, LOL. But the anime very much, 9/10.
Oct 11, 2013 9:24 AM
Sep 2013
I really loved the designs and settings of the show. The begining was promising..

Then it got really boring towards the middle and the ending was rather dull... With all the climaxes of the show ending in an unimpressive manner and wasting a full episode on Claus getting to Exile.

Overall it was a very pretty decent anime with a boring direction..
It could have been much more imo.

I like Dio character though.

5/10.
Di-DorvalDec 22, 2013 7:21 AM
Oct 29, 2013 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
The new release of Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing picks up the Last Exile story two years later on Earth. And, some of the original characters appear in the new series, including one who was thought to be... gone. The artwork is quite a bit different from the original series, but I enjoyed the new series as much as the original - and watched back to back the two series tell a much more complete story. Very good ending to wrap everything up, as well! Together, one of my all time favorite anime series ever!

Also there is a Last Exile wiki online called "To the Sky: A Last Exile Wiki" that has a very long, detailed timeline page describing all the backstory and history of the Last Exile World - definitely a must-read - but only after you have watched the original series first, as there are many spoilers in the timeline!
Girls_with_GunsOct 29, 2013 9:25 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 12 Discussion

aero - Jun 26, 2008

19 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 13, 10:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.