Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 15, 2023 1:11 AM
Jul 2021
That snapping sound was so satisfying, finally the cvnt got what she deserved! That sound was heard around the world! Twice!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Apr 6, 2023 5:52 PM

Oct 2022
The ending made as much sense as the beginning. What is this Exile thing exactly. It's not really a ship, it's not clear whether it's in the sky or on the ground. Its interior is not well defined. Its origin or its nature how it works is not explained. The vortex they need to go through to get there was in the sky through the whole anime until the end where suddenly it's... the North Pole? Who all the nations are- Dsith or Guild not really clear. Who the Guild actually were or where they came from....
What was the moral of the story? They reached paradise, and Alvis renewed the Earth... The most interesting thing about this anime is maybe its characters and the designs and how it used early CGI. I did not really understand the story, the relationships were good but the unnecessary tragic deaths just killed off good characters. The whole time watching it I enjoyed it but never really felt like I understood it. It feels more like a story was written around the Steampunk concepts and character designs of Range Murata, rather than the other way round. And that's totally fine, just not a masterpiece. 8/10
Sep 26, 2023 10:43 AM
Sep 2023
Just finished nostalgic rewatching and show greatly manages to stand the test of time. For me, it’s a solid 8/10, CG aged well and already became vintage. Traditional animation parts, especially faces did not, but they’re more than bearable. For me still to this day the best part of the show - are pacing and screenwriting, the narrative of the story being solid throughout the 26 episodes(except the ending), and no “one episode-one story” structure relevant to the absolute most of the shows nowadays. The overall designs and art style still hit hard, probably thanks to Murata.
Graphics aside, for me the biggest problem were plot and characters from the 11th episode. And especially Vincent was A LOT of missed potential. His feelings for Sophia were barely noticeable throughout the series, as well as his background with Alex. Only after I checked transcription of Aerial Log artbook, where not only him having feeelings towards Sophia are mentioned directly, but also Vince and Alex being roommates back in academy. Reading that I was like “excuse what the actual-“, because such massive parts of characters past were completely thrown away from the show and I’m dying over missed potential between Vince and Sophia and overall love triangle. Even at the fight between Silverna and Urbanus main focus is set onto non-resolving complications between Claus and Tatiana, and the older cast of characters is thrown into background. Alex and Vince were extremely promising rivalry duo, but they were overshadowed by love harem around Claus and not getting even a single flashback together. Even Alex, being the main drive of the story, gets like one repeating flashback about grand stream and Euris, and only in context of Claus and his father, for me this is like a warcrime in writing. Too much story in the equator of the series is spent around non-resolving love interests around Claus, when older characters more significant in the world around them get little to no exposition. And for me this kills of a lot of depth in the series, when this much of major facts about characters past are left in artbook notes.
With the introduction of Urbanus several plotholes got opened, especially about Anatoray building independent Claudia-powered ships, who built them and who even operate human-built engines, all is left unanswered. So does the role of Maurius, the prime-minister, in all the politics and Alex’s past is left with more holes than answers. First half of the season is built around kids and their affairs, and right from the beginning in the second part we get a ton of chewed up lore exposition with appearance of Vincent, who clearly was intended to have more depth than what was shown in the series. Not only he had a promising and endearing personality, but he could greatly expand Sophia and Alex relationship.
In my opinion, love triangle between Alex/Sophia/Vincent was much more prominent than the Claus/Lavie/Tatiana, but it also had a ton of potential in flashbacks, even resolving some holes in world-building around the series. In the end they all were left pretty shallow. Especially the ending itself - rushed, all cramped, with little to no exposition around anything, it was just lazy writing, and even one more episode could have made the situation far better. I really don’t get how in the show with such great structure, the accents on the characters could be so uneven.
I would die for more Sophia and Vince interactions, especially after the final battle, but their arc is left unresolved at all. All the romance in the show is executed pretty badly, because even the dynamics around main cast are cut off in the end, resolving into nothing, as is with more background characters. Really, why even have this much accent on the romance part in adventurous show, when all the relationships are left completely undone.

Overall, it was pretty good nostalgic rewatch, still craving to see more depths about this prominent and unique world such old series told about.
Oct 24, 2023 7:55 PM

Dec 2015
A would-have-been classic dragged down by the crappy CG. Normally I don't have a problem with CG but it's downright impossible to tell what's happening in what should've been some epic battles. The lighting is horrible, effects are bland and lacks impact, the shot composition lacks emphasis on what the audience should focus on, and the already dull color palette certainly did not help.

Luckily CG is the only thing that aged like milk.
XXXXXXXXXIIIOct 24, 2023 8:09 PM
Jan 19, 9:53 PM

Mar 2007
Completed re-watch. This stands up.
  • Dogfights were good
  • Characters were interesting - could have done without the romance subplots, but I am very happy Mullin LIVED. YAY!
  • Was Exile a generation ship? It just ... left?? Still many unanswered questions

I guess they did a spin off so I'll be watching that next.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 23 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jul 11, 2008

37 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 19, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 19 Discussion

19 by MagicPolly »»
Jan 16, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 16 Discussion

18 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 15, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 14 Discussion

29 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 14, 6:43 PM

Poll: » Last Exile Episode 12 Discussion

aero - Jun 26, 2008

19 by Stormy_77 »»
Jan 13, 10:54 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.