Forum Settings
Forums

Your Thoughts on MAL's Exclusion of Non-Asian Animation

New
Do you think MAL should include all animated works?
Yes
26.2%
No
60.5%
I'm fine either way
13.3%
294 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 27, 2011 1:37 PM

Dec 2010
KyuuAL said:
What are these Western animation principles? I'll use this as an example:

There are anime with cardboards glued to a stick in order to have "movement". There's no general "anime style" even if many might look similar and you can't seriously think that western animation studio couldn't replicate the exact same thing if they wanted to. There's no magic trick only the Japanese happen to know.

DrHouse said:
And It's not hard to come up with a valid difference between anime and animation: anime is cartoons made for Japanese audiences, animation is a blanket term for all cartoons.

I thought we were already over that point. So yeah, animation is a general term and anime means animation from Japan, I think everyone got that. Yet that's not a distinct difference that would justify the constant resistance against western animation. In this globalised world it's not too hard to come up with scenarios that would make this definition crumble. And if there're no practical difference than I conclude it's just ignorance.
nznzSep 27, 2011 1:46 PM
Sep 27, 2011 1:43 PM

Jul 2010
nznznz said:
And what does that have to do with MAL adding more content to its database? There're already lots of crappy anime shows in there, what difference would it make to you if they added more?

I get the impression this has more to do with fandoms hating each other, because everyone is ignorant of the other.

I hate johnny bravo, family guy, ed, edd and eddy, powerpuff girls with a passion. even more than 1 scored series in my list, so yes, i want myanimelist.net clean rather than more bunch of crap.

Call ignorant, weeabos, racist anything, but you're voicing your opinion and we're ours. so you're also ignorant for asking cartoons on anime site while ignoring MAL Official FAQ.

(inb4 someone post anime definition again. asian animation = anime = keep site clean)
Sep 27, 2011 1:48 PM

Sep 2010
Beatnik said:
I wouldn't want My Little Pony on an anime database either, but my question is what do you do when one day the production of it involves Japanese anime influence, and therefore after a while has a pretty substantial anime-loving fanbase behind it? What have you got to lose by including it on MAL?

Well there are examples: Thundercats 2011 was deleted from MAL, PPGZ is on MAL but PPG is not, GoLion is on MAL but Voltron is not, Beast Wars Neo is on MAL while the original Beast Wars isn't even though there was a Japanese dub produced, and all the recent Marvel ventures into the land of the Rising Sun are on MAL. So your hypothetical about MLP having it's production become influenced by anime would not warrant it's inclusion on this site unless by production you mean new character designs, animation, writing, and voicework. Which would make it a completely different series from My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic.

If you dig deep enough into the productions of many of your beloved 'Japanese' anime, you'll find there's nothing Japanese about the money and businessmen behind it. The only thing that matters is the content, influence and style.

Well such a dig might find a couple of non-Japanese companies, maybe. However it is still a haystack and not a stack of needles.

Sep 27, 2011 1:55 PM

Dec 2010
Han-yuu said:
I hate johnny bravo, family guy, ed, edd and eddy, powerpuff girls with a passion. even more than 1 scored series in my list, so yes, i want myanimelist.net clean rather than more bunch of crap.

Call ignorant, weeabos, racist anything, but you're voicing your opinion and we're ours. so you're also ignorant for asking cartoons on anime site while ignoring MAL Official FAQ.

At least that's an honest answer. I still don't see how I'm ignorant for asking about your reasons or how this would affect you personally. I'm not even the one asking for cartoons on this site nor would I add many to my list. But I won't condem a whole medium because of some black sheep. I'm not even certain you could call them separate media, because the only differnce is originating country.
Sep 27, 2011 1:56 PM

Aug 2008
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Han-yuu said:
(inb4 someone post anime definition again. asian animation = anime = keep site clean)

NOT unless you happen to be Chinese.

Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 27, 2011 2:00 PM
Mar 2011
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Golion = anime
Voltron = Westen animation
i have the same view on Robo tech
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 27, 2011 2:03 PM

Jun 2009
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:
And It's not hard to come up with a valid difference between anime and animation: anime is cartoons made for Japanese audiences, animation is a blanket term for all cartoons.

I thought we were already over that point. So yeah, animation is a general term and anime means animation from Japan, I think everyone got that. Yet that's not a distinct difference that would justify the constant resistance against western animation. In this globalised world it's not too hard to come up with scenarios that would make this definition crumble. And if there're no practical difference than I conclude it's just ignorance.
Well, if you're acknowledging that anime does exist, then I don't see why you have a problem with it being the only animation allowed on MyAnimeList. Whether or not western animation is unappreciated or stigmatized seems to be an entirely separate issue. Unless you can come up with some reason why it would be relevant...
Sep 27, 2011 2:08 PM

Aug 2008
Akai-Ryuusei said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Golion = anime

Robotech was an extreme case of ... ENGLISH DUBBING. 100% of Robotech is visually anime. However, the dubbing company decided to splice 3 different anime series and glue them.

FYI - I hate the word "dub".
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Sep 27, 2011 2:17 PM
Mar 2011
KyuuAL said:
Akai-Ryuusei said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Golion = anime

Robotech was an extreme case of ... ENGLISH DUBBING. 100% of Robotech is visually anime. However, the dubbing company decided to splice 3 different anime series and glue them.

FYI - I hate the word "dub".

if thay Chop Shop someting like that it take what was the anime the same thing with the anime ver of TMNT show that to anyone not in the AAG and thay will say cartoon

wile robotech is The TURE AAG product

aag= animation age getto
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 27, 2011 2:19 PM

Dec 2010
DrHouse said:
Well, if you're acknowledging that anime does exist, then I don't see why you have a problem with it being the only animation allowed on MyAnimeList. Whether or not western animation is unappreciated or stigmatized seems to be an entirely separate issue. Unless you can come up with some reason why it would be relevant...

Referring to the site name is meaningless when there're already manga not to mention names can be changed or websites extended. But I'm not so much interested in changing this site, rather why people seem to be completly against the idea of broadening the range no matter how this could be realized and I simply like to understand where this comes from.

Guess I have to start a separate topic since people are terrified of Little Pony on MAL.
Sep 27, 2011 2:22 PM

Aug 2008
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

Referring to the site name is meaningless when there're already manga not to mention names can be changed or websites extended. But I'm not so much interested in changing this site, rather why people seem to be completly against the idea of broadening the range no matter how this could be realized and I simply like to understand where this comes from.

After discussing the prospect of Western produced anime, it seems many people are so adamant about encapsulating the reference "anime" within the borders of Japan only. Thus, limiting anime as a mere export from Japan. Ironically, many of us (myself included) actually watch this product for FREE via fansubbing.

So, anything altering this view is seen as a THREAT. After all, the Sub vs Dub threads can also be viewed for anti-Western involvement in anime.

Sep 27, 2011 2:39 PM

Jan 2008
Man all this talk of My Little Pony is really getting me in the mood. I wish a BANZAI NIPPON JAPAN FOR EVER company (populated by only pure breed Japanese staff, fuck equal rights, we have to think about the MAL database) would animate the franchise, set in the year 3300, with cybernetic ponies.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2011 2:44 PM

Jun 2009
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

Answer:
DrHouse said:
Han-yuu said:
KyuuAL said:
I just realized... this is "myanimelist". Not "mymangalist", if some of you people are going to be "particular" about these things..

It took you quite sometime to realize this. :)
The reason why manga, light novels are included and why VNs should be included is because they're regularly adapted into anime. They are directly involved with anime. Western animation, on the other hand, has nothing to do with anime besides being a similar medium.
It's already been explained by several people why the fact that manga is on MAL makes sense even though western animation isn't. Those are just my words.

As for why the majority are against it, it's painfully obvious that you're just fishing for the answer you want to hear:
nznznz said:
Han-yuu said:

At least that's an honest answer. I still don't see how I'm ignorant for asking about your reasons or how this would affect you personally. I'm not even the one asking for cartoons on this site nor would I add many to my list. But I won't condem a whole medium because of some black sheep. I'm not even certain you could call them separate media, because the only differnce is originating country.
No, I don't hate western animation. No, I'm not ignorant of western animation. But I came on to MAL, just like everyone else, for the anime.
Sep 27, 2011 2:48 PM

Sep 2010
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Since you are taking the smallest bit of the sentence and reacting to it why don't you try to consider the whole thing. "GoLion is on MAL while Voltron is not." That is not a WTF shocking statement. It's pretty obvious Voltron does not have an entry on this site. The shows I listed were meant to show Beatnik that mere anime influences would not make MLP eligible for this site and that a complete production overhaul would need to be done.

Although Beatnik is clearly too high on his brand of supremacist satire to acknowledge that his hypotheticals are already been covered by MAL.

Sep 27, 2011 2:50 PM
Mar 2011
I'll say yes, but not for all animation, but for anime-style animation only. That is because I wouldn't differentiate between a movie made in Japan and in France if the art, music and story are the same. On the other hand, I'll definitely be against adding cartoons like the ones on Cartoon Network to the DB...
Sep 27, 2011 2:54 PM

Aug 2008
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Since you are taking the smallest bit of the sentence and reacting to it why don't you try to consider the whole thing. "GoLion is on MAL while Voltron is not." That is not a WTF shocking statement. It's pretty obvious Voltron does not have an entry on this site.

Well, you're talking to someone, who had referenced Voltron as an anime for a good 20+ years now.

Sep 27, 2011 2:54 PM

Dec 2010
DrHouse said:
But I came on to MAL, just like everyone else, for the anime.

It would totaly ruin your experience if there're cartoons in the DB as well, right?
Sep 27, 2011 2:55 PM

Jan 2008
Anime_Name said:
Although Beatnik is clearly too high on his brand of supremacist satire

Hehe, I like that phrase, nice one.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2011 2:56 PM

Aug 2008
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

It would totaly ruin your experience if there're cartoons in the DB as well, right?

Oh just imagine the bliss anime brings...

All those worlds... full of girls... lolis... bad ass dudes... and even sissies, whom many viewers can relate to.

Just imagine how all that could come crashing down with the inception of cartooning. May as well be the end of the world as they know it.

Sep 27, 2011 3:08 PM

Sep 2010
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

Since you are taking the smallest bit of the sentence and reacting to it why don't you try to consider the whole thing. "GoLion is on MAL while Voltron is not." That is not a WTF shocking statement. It's pretty obvious Voltron does not have an entry on this site.

Well, you're talking to someone, who had referenced Voltron as an anime for a good 20+ years now.

So what is WTF shocking about Voltron not being on MAL? Surely being a fan of Voltron for 20 years you can not have now just realize its absence on this site.

Sep 27, 2011 3:11 PM

Jun 2009
KyuuAL said:
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

Oh just imagine the bliss anime brings...

All those worlds... full of girls... lolis... bad ass dudes... and even sissies, whom many viewers can relate to.

Just imagine how all that could come crashing down with the inception of cartooning. May as well be the end of the world as they know it.
Indeed, if MAL died, nothing of value would be lost.

But I don't want to go back to the days of mysql errors and lag just so that you can make your epeen bigger by adding Family Guy and The Simpsons to your list.
Sep 27, 2011 3:23 PM

Aug 2008
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
Voltron is not.

Voltron?! It's not? WTF

So what is WTF shocking about Voltron not being on MAL? Surely being a fan of Voltron for 20 years you can not have now just realize its absence on this site.

On the lists here... you add. Then you forget. If I were to ever need to (and that won't ever be)... need to reconstruct my list from memory, no way in hell that I'd be able to get everything now.

So, that's why I never realize.

DrHouse said:
But I don't want to go back to the days of mysql errors and lag just so that you can make your epeen bigger by adding Family Guy and The Simpsons to your list.

The length of one's anime list is as valuable as one's post count: worthless. The motivation for my arguing in this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Sep 27, 2011 3:26 PM

Dec 2010
DrHouse said:

So in case of better servers you wouldn't be against the inclusion?
Sep 27, 2011 3:29 PM

Aug 2008
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

Server resources is likely not the limiting factor to the argument. The sentiment of anime vs non-anime spreads well beyond MAL.

Sep 27, 2011 3:30 PM

Jun 2009
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

I'd be fine with it, but only after VNs get added.

Priorities, you know.

KyuuAL said:
Server resources is likely not the limiting factor to the argument. The sentiment of anime vs non-anime spreads well beyond MAL.
Oh indeed, the fanbases can't get along well: there's a reason why there's a /co/. But if it were just MAL's preference for fanbases then OP, Naruto, and Bleach would have long ago been deleted.
DrHouseSep 27, 2011 3:33 PM
Sep 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Sep 2010
KyuuAL said:
nznznz said:
DrHouse said:

Yet IF MAL expanded into documenting Western animation then that would mean an unquestionable need for increased storage capacity and bandwidth. Those things cost money. Which creates the questions would MAL see an increase in visits to the site(revenue) and If there were an increase in revenue would that increase cover the costs of the expansion. These aren't really reasons against adding Western animation specifically but rather general considerations that must be taken into account whenever adding massive amounts of data to a website.

Sep 27, 2011 5:17 PM

Jul 2010
nznznz said:
I still don't see how I'm ignorant for asking about your reasons or how this would affect you personally. I'm not even the one asking for cartoons on this site nor would I add many to my list. But I won't condem a whole medium because of some black sheep. I'm not even certain you could call them separate media, because the only differnce is originating country.

First, because you're demanding something which officially got "NO" from MAL admins and you're ignoring that fact and discussing it here which won't even help (i'm sure). Second, you want to take site objective. I wonder why you can't see it even though you're spending lot of time here. also you're talking about database expansion with cartoons (which you don't need, just curious why peoples are against) and I want my manga SCANLATION GROUPS on MAL, so i don't need to go to bakaupdates again and again to check which group is scanlating this series. I'm second to want VN's here and also VN translation groups. It will help me to check something new and unique.

If site is called AnimeList while manga is here, and they're really going to expand database, I wouldn't mind a section for J-K-Dramas (what's problem if they're different media. at-least i can add them in my list). In short if you guys don't want to go on other sites to check your cartoon, i also want things here and If they add everything then i really won't mind your cartoons.
Sep 27, 2011 7:55 PM

Aug 2008
Anime_NameYet said:
IF MAL expanded into documenting Western animation then that would mean an unquestionable need for increased storage capacity and bandwidth. Those things cost money.

I'm willing to bet. Given the number of new anime series per given year -- the number of entries from Western animation would be sub-par. So, don't even go there.

Sep 27, 2011 8:02 PM

Sep 2010
KyuuAL said:
Anime_NameYet said:
IF MAL expanded into documenting Western animation then that would mean an unquestionable need for increased storage capacity and bandwidth. Those things cost money.

I'm willing to bet. Given the number of new anime series per given year -- the number of entries from Western animation would be sub-par. So, don't even go there.

The type of addition being asked for in this thread is a retroactive one that includes shows from last year, the year before that, the year before that, and so on up until all Western animated shows are cataloged here so that the OP or anyone else that wants can add w/e show they want onto their MAL lists.

Sep 27, 2011 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_NameYet said:

The type of addition being asked for in this thread is a retroactive one that includes shows from last year, the year before that, the year before that, and so on up until all Western animated shows are cataloged here so that the OP or anyone else that wants can add w/e show they want onto their MAL lists.

Then consider the number of anime that had to be added here when MAL was new. And this site hasn't been around very long.

What's your next excuse?

Sep 27, 2011 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
I'm surprised this topic has managed to get so far as to 10 pages already. It may be uncommon to most of you, as I'm still a newb of the sort, but it's just wow.
Sep 27, 2011 8:12 PM

Jun 2009
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_NameYet said:

Then consider the number of anime that had to be added here when MAL was new. And this site hasn't been around very long.

What's your next excuse?
And that's exactly what we don't want to go back to: that laggy, mysql shit. That plus the fact that there are higher priority things like VNs and J-Dramas that have been denied because there weren't enough resources.
Sep 27, 2011 8:13 PM

Aug 2008
GigaSPX said:
I'm surprised this topic has managed to get so far as to 10 pages already. It may be uncommon to most of you, as I'm still a newb of the sort, but it's just wow.

Ever heard of the Sub vs Dub "debate"? That discussion has been going on throughout the Internets since... forever.

DrHouse said:
And that's exactly what we don't want to go back to: that laggy, mysql shit. That plus the fact that there are higher priority things like VNs and J-Dramas that have been denied because there weren't enough resources.

And you think the problem will be solved for the next 5 years? I don't think so. Again. Quit falling on excuses.

====

I bet you: 98% of the US anime community likely cannot handle the idea of "American anime" just because they can't handle it. Of course, prove me wrong. I HOPE to be wrong.

Sep 27, 2011 8:16 PM

Jun 2009
KyuuAL said:
GigaSPX said:

Ever heard of the Sub vs Dub "debate"? That discussion has been going on throughout the Internets since... forever.
Except this isn't about preferences, or whether anime is better than western animation. That's just what you want it to be about.

This is about what MyAnimeList is about. Is it about animation or is it about Japanese animation: the answer should be obvious.
Sep 27, 2011 8:19 PM

Sep 2010
KyuuAL said:
Anime_Name said:
KyuuAL said:
Anime_NameYet said:

What's your next excuse?

No excuse. I explained in the post you are badly quoting from that the considerations around adding content is not a specific reason against adding Western animated shows to MAL. So I am guessing that before MAL was even created the question was could a site dedicated to cataloging all anime be profitable, keeping in mind the need for maintenance and staying up to date with anime. Some people thought so and made the site.

So why do you think doubling, triple, or even quadrupling their workload in order to add all Western animation shows would be feasible in their eyes? Basically wanting them to invest their time and money because 'me likey' cartoons is just not a convincing argument.

I bet you: 98% of the US anime community likely cannot handle the idea of "American anime" just because they can't handle it. Of course, prove me wrong. I HOPE to be wrong.

That is not this topic's debate. The OP clearly noting that anime and Western animation are seperate and the inclusion of Western animation this site. Western animation would not become "American anime". Hell the OP isn't even limiting his/her want to American animation as one of the shows he/she wants to add is Code Lyoko. You are having trouble staying on topic and trying to turn this discussion into one of the other ones that have been closed.
Anime_NameSep 27, 2011 8:24 PM

Sep 27, 2011 8:23 PM

Aug 2008
DrHouse said:
is it about Japanese animation: the answer should be obvious.

And you can ask yourself this. I've asked it many times.

Do I have a problem with this distinction? Absolutely not. I'm an anime fan too, y'know.

Where I do have a problem: "Naysayers". Oh gee. Just because anime is from Japan - that doesn't mean anyone else can make it. To anyone who says that, they can kiss my ass.

'cause once something comes along to "break this anime barrier"... people will freak out -- just as they are doing right now.

Anime_Name said:
So why do you think doubling, triple, or even quadrupling their workload in order to add all Western animation shows would be feasible in their eyes? Basically wanting them to invest their time and money because 'me likey' cartoons is just not a convincing argument.

Um, I'm going after something bigger than what this site accepts or doesn't accept.

Sep 27, 2011 8:39 PM

Sep 2010
Um, I'm going after something bigger than what this site accepts or doesn't accept.

And why would they agree since this something bigger has already been shot-down as not the intention they are after with this site?

The more you post "I" this and "me" that it just proves you are not capable of reasonably thinking about this situation beyond your own selfish wants. You think it would be so easy and that servers, bandwidth, etc are just excuses then since you want something bigger so badly do it yourself.

Sep 27, 2011 8:39 PM

Jun 2009
Anime_Name said:

That is not this topic's debate. The OP clearly noting that anime and Western animation are seperate and the inclusion of Western animation this site. Western animation would not become "American anime". Hell the OP isn't even limiting his/her want to American animation as one of the shows he/she wants to add is Code Lyoko. You are having trouble staying on topic and trying to turn this discussion into one of the other ones that have been closed.
Indeed, it is as AnimeName says: you're trying to turn this into a debate about whether Japanese animation is better than Western animation. That has nothing to do with this issue.
Sep 27, 2011 8:56 PM

Aug 2008
DrHouse said:
Anime_Name said:

Indeed, it is as AnimeName says: you're trying to turn this into a debate about whether Japanese animation is better than Western animation. That has nothing to do with this issue.

Fine. You WANT an simplified answer to OP's question. Here it is:

It's sad that you people can't see that.

Anime_Name said:
The more you post "I" this and "me" that it just proves you are not capable of reasonably thinking about this situation beyond your own selfish wants. You think it would be so easy and that servers, bandwidth, etc are just excuses then since you want something bigger so badly do it yourself.

And no, my intent isn't selfish. It's for anyone out there - who isn't Japanse - but actually aspires to make anime. This process has been slow. Excruciatingly slow. It may take one generation or two. But things are headed in that direction. Market forces dictate it and demand it.

Noticing more and more of these... "co-productions"... are happening. I just hope the American industry actually learns from the Japanese industry. Someday anime WILL be made in America. When that happens, I will laugh at your face. Hard. Thus, I pity you for being so short-sighted.

Sep 27, 2011 9:07 PM

Jun 2009
KyuuAL said:
DrHouse said:
Anime_Name said:

And what are those exceptions? I've yet to hear you offer a definition of anime, other than the generally accepted one: animation from Japan, that is not incredibly vague.
Sep 27, 2011 9:10 PM

Jun 2011
KyuuAL said:
DrHouse said:
Anime_Name said:

The problem is deciding on a definition. See also: RPG debates.
Sep 27, 2011 9:15 PM

Sep 2010
And no, my intent isn't selfish. It's for anyone out there - who isn't Japanse - but actually aspires to make anime. This process has been slow. Excruciatingly slow. It may take one generation or two. But things are headed in that direction. Market forces dictate it and demand it.

Nowhere in this thread have you mentioned the toil, labor, or dedication it takes to make an anime, cartoon, or any creative work for someone trying to get into the entrainment industry.

Noticing more and more of these... "co-productions"... are happening. I just hope the American industry actually learns from the Japanese industry. Someday anime WILL be made in America. When that happens, I will laugh at your face. Hard. Thus, I pity you for being so short-sighted.

You are going off the deep end are are ignoring the fact that "co-productions" are nothing new and the Japanese industry is hardly swaying the American industry anymore than it already does, one or two big toyetic anime a year and Ghibli films that attract the masses. Leaving the non-toy oriented anime to either not get distributed in NA or be picked up to be released to the small market for anime that exists here. America doesn't even make most of it's animated shows in America so thinking that Japanese anime will be made in America someday is a completely absurd. It has nothing to do with being short sighted. It does have everything to do with being able to read credits to see more and more Chinese/Korean studios being used for animation. Your "Made in America" propaganda is nothing more than you being out of touch with reality.

Sep 27, 2011 9:16 PM

Jul 2010
KyuuAL said:
Should all of Western animation be included in this site? No. I don't want SpongeBob in here.

Are there exceptions? Yes.

Any SpongeBob fan here? Please answer him.

What will be the qualification for a western animation to add in database? Anime Influenced Animation? or Popularity? or Your Favorite show? What kinds of exceptions are that?

also Who will answer to SpoongeBob fan in Database forum? MAL Staff?
Sep 27, 2011 9:47 PM

Jun 2009
lpfManiak said:
And some of you seem to think that we were talking about the induction of Avatar or MLP only. When I said people were weeaboos, I got answered “My Little Pony is shit [implied: western cartoon is shit]”. That’s infortunate. I’m not going to lie-- a lot of anime is shit while you guys still love them, if you’re that easy to please, just let the connoisseurs recommend you some cartoons, there’s no reason not to like them (oh I forgot, not japanese trololo).
Ctrl F through entire thread. Search for Pony, Friendship, MLP, and magic. Find not a single post saying that MLP is shit.

Hmmm. You must be thinking of a different thread.
Sep 27, 2011 10:32 PM

Jun 2009
lpfManiak said:
Well, if no one said it, sorry if you got the impression I was looking at you. It was not my intention.
Huh, why would I think that that post was aimed at me? I assumed it must have been one of the 50+ other posters in this thread.
Sep 28, 2011 12:43 AM

Jan 2008
Do some of you guys have a problem with www.imdb.com? Does browsing that site make you incredibly frustrated and tear your hair out? It's the most popular database on the internet, and despite the I in the title meaning 'movies', it's incredibly popular because it lists EVERYTHING.

Shit, having MAL list anything anime-esque might actually bring in more users, because whenever certain titles are googled, MAL will always appear in search results, and thus this means more visits to the site = more money for that evil mastermind Xinil and his henchman Mr Craveonline.

I'm amazed X-Men is on this site, I mean what's Japanese about that eh? Hypothetical time! Like someone else mentioned, what if a Japanese studio has to move out of Japan for whatever reason and make their anime in neighbouring China. I assume you guys would still want their anime listed in the site?

Is this thing really just down to race and not the animation technique at all? I'm pretty sure a lot of anime is actually animated by Chinese and Koreans, I remember everyone dying a little inside at Naruto Shippuden when it started because of this.

Anything that carries an anime influence and is loved by anime fans deserves to be on this site for them to list in their anime and manga lists. It's not worth depriving them just because of a holier than thou attitude. It's almost akin to what foreigners go through when they move to Japan, a symptom called 'My Japan'. It's not yours, it's mine! My Japan!
Sep 28, 2011 12:55 AM

Jun 2011
Beatnik said:
Anything that carries an anime influence and is loved by anime fans deserves to be on this site for them to list in their anime and manga lists. It's not worth depriving them just because of a holier than thou attitude. It's almost akin to what foreigners go through when they move to Japan, a symptom called 'My Japan'. It's not yours, it's mine! My Japan!

Except the "exceptions" are totally subjective, as opposed to limiting it to something clearly defined, like the country of origin.

You think MLP is anime influenced? If Avatar is accepted you can bet people won't stop until MLP is accepted too, and then it's just a snowball effect from there. I love cartoons, but I don't come to MAL for that.
Sep 28, 2011 1:01 AM

Sep 2010
^^

The X-Men you are talking about are produced my Madhouse Studios, not the x-men from the 1990s.

back on topic...

Even in my country (Philippines), the local channels here define "anime" as shows like Code Geass, Gundam, Dragon Ball etc..

They define the animated shows from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network like tom and Jerry, Powerpuff girls, Dora The explorer etc as "cartoons"

Even in the television businesses, they have a definition of what's anime and what's cartoon. Anyways when I was younger (15 years ago) all animated works are called cartoons, but TV channels suddenly started calling Japanese animated works as "Anime (and something that comes from Japan)" sometime later in order to differentiate itself from other animated works, guess what? It works, In the late 1990s anime series like Yuyu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Pokemon, etc became mega-hit shows in the primetime slot 7-9pm.
Sep 28, 2011 1:07 AM

Aug 2008
Beatnik said:
It's almost akin to what foreigners go through when they move to Japan, a symptom called 'My Japan'. It's not yours, it's mine! My Japan!

It goes down to that extreme?! Holy cow!

Narmy said:
You think MLP is anime influenced? If Avatar is accepted you can bet people won't stop until MLP is accepted too, and then it's just a snowball effect from there. I love cartoons, but I don't come to MAL for that.

On my Little Pony...

Just looking at the opening animation... not even close.

Sep 28, 2011 1:08 AM

Aug 2008
Ghostalker said:
Even in my country (Philippines), the local channels here define "anime" as shows like Code Geass, Gundam, Dragon Ball etc..

They define the animated shows from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network like tom and Jerry, Powerpuff girls, Dora The explorer etc as "cartoons"

Even in the television businesses, they have a definition of what's anime and what's cartoon. Anyways when I was younger (15 years ago) all animated works are called cartoons, but TV channels suddenly started calling Japanese animated works as "Anime (and something that comes from Japan)" sometime later in order to differentiate itself from other animated works, guess what? It works, In the late 1990s anime series like Yuyu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Pokemon, etc became mega-hit shows in the primetime slot 7-9pm.

No offense to the Philippines... I was born there.

BUT

You guys copy the mainstream opinions of America. It's ridiculous.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

115 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

73 by traed »»
11 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
16 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

19 by LenRea »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.