Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Nichijou Episode 26 Discussion

Jun 6, 2017 10:17 AM

So I really enjoyed this series. It was funny, it was weird, it was different. It never had much of a plot or anything to get emotionally invested in. But it was one of the more irreverent anime I've ever seen. And while not every joke might have landed, it was far too fast moving to dwell on the things that didn't work. I liked it, I liked a lot of its huge cast and I'm a little sad I've seen all of the series that's been animated now.

However I was ever so slightly disappointed by these last three episodes. The preceding two were obsessed with progressing the crushes and budding romances of the series. Even though with a few exceptions, these were elements from the show I could care less about. And it didn't even actually give much advancement or resolution to any of them. But hey I don't mind that too much. The idea that high school romances last forever is a silly anime fantasy. I didn't need all of the characters to get great confession scenes and live happily ever after. I just don't know why it devoted so much of it's end of series time to romance, if it wasn't going to do anything with it. Mio's running away scene was a highlight in all of this.

I think this final episode started to feel more like a solid conclusion. I thought the scene of Yukko blundering her way through the school and accidentally helping various supporting characters was kind of brilliant. I thought the conclusion with Hikase and Nano's screw was really effective. Part of me wanted an ending more in the vein of K-On. Where the girls all express their love for one another. And the series ends jerking your heart strings, that even the happiest most idyllic high school experiences must end, But that's not what this show was about. At least I don't think. It's not about the ever changing nature of time and fleeting youth. It's about a time in your life when you're satisfied. When days just like the one you had could go on forever. And you didn't even realize yet you were this content. In that vein I think all the mains laughing it up at Shimogame Labs is a perfect ending for this clever but dopey little series. I give it a solid 9/10. Wish KyoAni made more stuff like this.
Modified by SubscriberSun, Jun 6, 2017 10:20 AM

Aug 6, 2017 6:44 PM
>Nano have always wanted her screw removed... Yet sad when she didn´t get that smaller think but still had the screw removed. So she wants the screw gone to have a smooth back, but not against something smaller instead which wouldn´t make her back smooth just a little less rough??
>Landing an SR-71 Blackbird on a roof apparently takes a one of a kind pilot like Daiku xD
>OH COME ON! This whole thing has been random, exaggerated and ridiculous full of skits, and cracks. BUT IT GOTTA END WITH SOME SORT OF CLOSURE! It just ended abruptly like a usual transition but into nothing...

DISAPPOINTED! *Hercules meme*

But it was a lot of fun and should only be rated based on that alone, the humor. It emphasizes what seems to be the essence of slapstick comedy, but induces your favorite lighthearted scenario all within the same episode. 9/10.

Oct 2, 2017 3:53 PM

I had really mixed feelings about this show. I don't usually do pros/cons, but I feel like I must list them to express how I felt.

Negatives:
- Hakase: She is soooo annoying... At first she was cute, but quickly became annoying, always causing Nano suffering, which wasn't always "funny" for me :/
- Nano: Sometimes she way okay, but most of the time she was just boring to watch.
- I wish Nano and Hakase didn't meet the trio. Their parts should have remained seperate. Sakamoto was the only good part about those scenes, but I still had to skip every scene where only they were involved (where Mio and Yuuko didn't appear), since those scenes were simply boring and/or annoying... I never really do this, but I just had to if I wanted to see the good parts.
- Mai: Boring and unfun apart from a few scenes. I wish she wasn't part of the main cast with Yuuko and Mio.
- Science teacher: Again, boring, skipped most of her scenes.
- I didn't like most of the Helvetica Standard scenes, and the ones about that zeppelin and its crew. It could have been funny if they weren't so long.

Positives:
- Yuuko and Mio. They were amazing and the main reason I watched the show. They are just so funny :D Pretty much every scene they appeared in was comedic gold. I wish the show would have been mostly about them, without any of the Hakase+Nano (and Mai) parts.
- Sasahara and Misato were fun to watch, especially with all the weapons she used :'D Though I feel like a few of these were dragged out near the end.
- Haruna (ribbon girl) was great :D It's a shame how few scenes she had, I would have liked to see more of her.
- The male teacher was pretty funny, I liked him a lot, especially when he was torn between decisions. Sakurai-sensei was also fun, though some of her scenes were a bit boring.
- I also liked most of the other cast, like the Igo soccer group, Mio's sister, the Principal and the Vice-Principal and the scenes with the mohawk guy.
- The random scenes here and there were usually fun to watch, I didn't have problems with them apart from the few I mentioned above.
- The first OP was pretty good. The 2nd one and the EDs were meh.

So yeah, I wish the show was more centered around Mio and Yuuko, they were the ones who carried most of the episodes, thanks to their weird but very fun scenes :D I see that I'm not the only one who was annoyed by Hakase (and Nano) quite a lot, so that at least reassures that it might not have been my "fault" for not liking them :'D
Anyway, I would give a 4/10 for the negative parts, and an easy 9/10 for the positive parts, mainly thanks to our main duo, so all in all, I'll give the show a 7/10. It's a shame, because it could have been much better :/

Dec 12, 2017 9:50 AM

Just watched all of the episodes and I can't believe it was so short, it's a shame that we'll never get a season 2 because I loved it. Mio is literally me irl, all scenes were hilarious and I loved the faces they sometimes make like ( ͡° _ ͡°) ... I'll probably go read the manga now!

Mar 9, 7:00 AM

Sweet, relaxing, and a lovely anime

Good watch ^^

Mar 12, 7:10 AM

The last two episodes were a bit on the nose with expressing the shows themes but it was real charming. The way Yuuko ran to ask Nano if they could come over emulated the expression from last episode "our everyday lives are in fact a series of miracles" perfectly brought a smile to my face. It was something Mio overheard Sasahara say and you can certainly see it in the way he lives. And then to finish it off we had Nano learning to accept herself as a robot, to laugh at the unpredictability of life and cherish it rather than to wish it to be different. Every single episode was centered around this idea. The idea that life is unpredictable and that's what makes it fun, so we should cherish that.

The jokes in Nichijou were hit or miss. I am against nearly every single joke about pure absurdity even though I love the fact they were often perpetuating the themes above. Certain ones were good because they were building off the characters involved even though they were mostly absurd such as the mohawk guy, his dad who also had a mohawk, and his dads obsession with Daifuku-san's image. Although weird it was humorous because of the character writing. That brings me to the best jokes, those which used the beautifully constructed characters to their fullest. I think every single character except maybe Misato's friends as they were pretty stale and unexplored compared to the rest were simple but great. They were colorful, memorable, multi dimensional, and had fantastic exchanges and dynamics with each other. A character and relationship like Mai and Yuuko in the scene Mai lied to her face on the hill about 100 times is an example, another being any scene with the Professor household. The dynamic between Nano, Professor, and Sakamoto had to be one of the funniest I've ever seen.

I want to compare this anime to Cromartie High. Both are based on absurdity and building jokes off of the established characters while pairing them and their quirks together. Cromartie however takes a dry and fast approach and Nichijou takes a comfy and exaggerated approach. I'd say Nichijou's characters are better, but Cromartie's jokes were more substantial and they used their cast in a better way at times. In Cromartie even when the jokes sucked the anime was enjoyable due to the absurd dry humor being fascinating whether you laughed at it or not. Nichijou is similar in that when the jokes fly at you at a fast paced but consistently miss, the characters and comfy atmosphere keep the anime enjoyable... that is unless the majority of the episode truly falls flat. In those cases the difference between Cromartie's 10 minute format and Nichijou's 20 minute format shows. The former is bite sized and because of that there's never a time that you get sick of it, when Nichijou is at its worst for an entire 20 minutes it starts to get tedious and draining.

All that being said, Nichijou is comfy, hilarious, and memorable. The characters are nuanced and the thematic value is out the roof. For something as simple as the themes of Nichijou are, they're powerful and wholesome. I'll remember the main cast, their relationships, and the themes mentioned in the first paragraph for a long time to come.
7/10
Modified by gfsdfgsdgsdfgs, Mar 12, 7:18 AM

Aug 19, 9:34 PM

Episodes in the first half were my favourite. By the end, the type of jokes and humour got repetitive.

Oct 23, 4:27 PM

I am blown away by how good this anime was???????
I watched AzuManga SO many times, this is like a fresh of breath air. So ridiculous, so good.

There were a couple of episodes I didn't laugh all the way through, but it was damn close they hit the situational humor spot on.

8/10

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]