Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Omoide Poroporo Episode 1 Discussion

Nov 19, 2017 3:20 AM

I have to say I was disappointed with this one. The scenes of Taeko's childhood were engaging (if awkward and sometimes uncomfortable to watch), but I didn't feel it connect to the main story in the way I think the director intended. It came off more like, "City life sure is awful. Hey, you know what? I've been working in the fields for all of a week. I'm practically a professional now, so I'll marry this guy I've spent the week with (kinda). This is a good decision. After all, I sure do have some fond memories of... doing exactly nothing related to this in an environment not at all similar to this."

I've seen the argument that she's taking a hold of her life and doing what she wants, but unless the film is secretly about the folly of making impulsive choices without thinking them through because you're blinded by nostalgia (which, again, relates in no way to what she's choosing to do), then I don't feel as though this movie is one of Ghibli's best.

Actually, I'm currently going through all the Ghibli movies, and I'm a little saddened to say that this, so far, my least favorite. In terms of structure, character, tone (ESPECIALLY tone), and the overall message of the film, I can't say I'm a fan of this one.

4/10

Nov 26, 2017 2:09 PM

Fun fact; this movie has a 100% approval rating on RottenTomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/only_yesterday_1991/

Safe to say it's not as underrated among critics as it is among the regular audience.

Dec 20, 2017 11:17 AM

Like Citizen Kane, the ending makes the movie. Of course I'll never be able to relate to Taeko in any significant ways, but I still can't help but admire the incredibly empathetic nature of the movie

Jan 23, 2018 2:15 AM

Hoo boy, got a bit emotional there at the end. My eyes were tearing up as Taeko decided to go back to Toshio while being cheered on by her classmates and childhood self. Anyway believe it or not this wasn't the first time I saw this movie. Turner Classic Movies had a month of Studio Ghibli films way back in I wanna say 2006 and I saw it then. I remember it stood out because it was the only movie they showed subtitled instead of dubbed, and at that time I wasn't nearly as used to watching subs as I am now. My memories of it though were understandably vague going into this rewatch considering it had been around 12 years. I definitely remembered the flashbacks with the story narrative, and one in particular with Taeko's father causing her to cry, though didn't recall the specifics. Movies like this are right up my alley though. I loved the flashbacks, the introspection, and the beautiful contrasting countryside scenes. Just the Slice of Life atmosphere, I'm a junkie for it. It was certainly a very beautiful film to look at too, but then Ghibli excels at that. Something else they excel at, and as I mentioned at the start, it could be pretty emotionally powerful as well. Poor Taeko! I found myself feeling sorry for her more than once during those flahbacks, but I guess she turned out alright regardless of any childhood hardships she had to endure. That was nice, a very feel good movie for me. I'm fluctuating between a high 8 and generous 9 for this one....I'll say 9. Well this was just the first of quite a few films I think I'll be checking out in the days ahead, and it was certainly a great start. :)

Feb 16, 2018 1:19 AM

I'm gonna join team no on this one but I always try my best to see the beauty in things.

I certainly appreciate how natural and realistic this movie felt, however I find it hard to grasp how you'd consider her parents to be likeable. I really disliked them. If the movie was supposed to make me empathise with Taeko it did, but it mainly made me angry. To see how the hardships of her childhood affect her present self, even her way of thinking, her lack of confidence in certain scenes, all that uncertainty - now that was a great aspect but also the only one that made me feel something. So whenever I look back at this movie I just get frustrated.

Maybe I'm old enough to get it but to young to appreciate the good or it in general? Nostalgia isn't really restricted to a certain age though.

There are a million approaches on how to raise a child and you can make a debate about wrong or right for each of them so let's not. For the time and place it might've made perfect sense for the family to be the way they are.

This is probably the most down to earth Ghibli movie now that I think back on it half a year later, I can definitely see why people praise it the way they do. Ghibli has always been known for their very humanesque characters, I'd say this movie nailed that aspect best so far. Yet, I find myself enjoying it the least. *shrug*
Modified by Viltas, Dec 13, 2018 10:14 PM

Mar 2, 2018 9:59 AM

The story is inconsistent, and dramatized in parts.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.

Mar 18, 2018 1:19 PM

This film was a wonderful surprise. I consider it one of the best films made by Studio Ghibli, as far as I'm concerned. I found myself reflecting in the events and thoughts of Taeko and Toshio, it is as if I had passed all my past life, so I felt the joys and sufferings of Taeko. In addition, the final was knitted in treating the story in such a sweet and genuine way. I do not understand why I've never heard of this film around any of the other titles of Sudio Ghibli, but I think it's a duty to make it known to a wider audience.

9/10

Apr 30, 2018 2:01 PM

One of my first ghibli films and definitely one of my favourites.

Taeko's story just reminds me of being a child again. So much nostalgia. :)

May 1, 2018 9:29 AM

I remember how to divide 2 fractions while watching this movie

Dec 30, 2018 3:15 PM

I find it hard to describe with words just how much this movie moves me. It's so beautiful, so warm; it's an inspiring journey. Taeko goes, for the second time, to the countryside she so longed for when she was a little girl; and this spurs all kinds of memories from that year. Her 10 years old self (with her whole class) just goes along with her.

She meets Toshio, and grows closer to him without even realizing it at first. When the family that welcomed her started to urge her to stay and marry him, making her conscious of him, things gets uncomfortable because she didn't even see it as a possibility. But that last sequence, when her child self and her friends are kind of present there to spur her to action, and she decides to go back and stay with him; that was beautiful. Especially with the theme song playing in the background.

For some random comments I wanted to say that her father bought a bad pineapple. I mean, people aren't obliged by nature to like pineapples or something, but I can't believe they didn't find it sweet or tasty at all, that couldn't have be a good one *says a pineapple lover*, but well. Taeko was acting like a spoiled girl at that time, but her father didn't have to hit her like that "because" of the shoes. He was also terrible not letting her act in that play. She says herself that she wasn't cut out for it after all, but he let his prejudices and preconceptions cut her wings before she could even try to fly with them, and it wasn't fair.

Toshio having watched the same show she did as a kid, and reminiscing about a song from it with her, with his positive view on it, was really cute too. This isn't even all this movie has to offer or touches, but I will leave it at that. As I said, I find it hard to describe, but this is certainly one of my favorites, not only from the studio, but from among every single one I ever watched

Jan 12, 2:32 PM
I found it quite slow paced and boring, also if they were just gonna tell a story why did they have to make it past tense, wouldn’t it be easier and more fast paced if it was present tense. Why did they make it about a 10 year old child. You can’t make anything out of a 10 year. I was really hoping for classic Ghibli. Oh well.

Mar 3, 2:19 AM

It felt extremely natural. Had a few tedious parts but overall nice and reflective, I really liked the childhood parts (except the Abe-kun one, which was kinda okay)

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]