Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 17, 2012 9:15 AM
Feb 2011
airbehindbirds said:
there are two other things that got me confused. If anyone cares to explain.

1. When Shizuku goes back to get her book and meets Seiji, he says "you should drop that Concrete Home thing", then there's the second encounter when he returns Shizuku's lunch (which was her dad's) and leaves singing the tune (in a teasing manner?), THEN at end of the movie he says he didn't even remember saying "you should drop that Concrete Home thing". Seiji is weird or that's just how flirting goes?

2. Seiji wanted to go to Cremona to make violins, but first he was going somewhere for two months to get his skills tested. Was this place also Cremona? I don't get it.

Yeah Seiji was teasing Shizuku the first two times he mentioned Concrete Roads, he wasn't serious about it. It was just something he said then forgot. He honestly didn't remember. Obviously what he said bothered Shizuku, but boys are just that way sometimes.

Seiji went to a school for making violins in Italy for two months. Most probably in Cremona. I don't remember really. It would have been like an internship kind of thing.
Feb 25, 2012 4:09 AM

Aug 2011
So, hmm, the main female character translates music from English to Japanese and reads a lot of books, which indicates she's mature, yet, when she finds a cat somewhere, she goes after him?
What kind of convenient writing is this, just to get her to that store?

And the old man is Seiji's grandfather (I read his MAL profile)? dafuq, what are the odds?
Am I the only one noticing this kind of stuff?

EDIT: *finishes the movie*
Well, besides that, the movie was good. Not sure if 6 or 7, going with the first.
Also, they talked like, 5 times, and are already getting married? lulwat

And yes, whether someone knows English or not is the best indication of maturity. :P
Tiago97Feb 25, 2012 11:30 AM
Feb 25, 2012 4:48 AM

Oct 2010
Tiago97 said:
So, hmm, the main female character translates music from English to Japanese and reads a lot of books, which indicates she's mature

Yes, this is a wonderful indication of maturity ;).
Apr 14, 2012 6:09 AM

Mar 2008
Hmm... I thought it was awesome until the ending/second half... I also have to agree about the part with the cat - I mean, sure, I got no right to complain about "reality" in an anime movie, but that part was so... meh... there should have been another -better- way for her to find the store..
But other than that, I really enjoyed it.
Apr 27, 2012 7:54 PM

Feb 2012
airbehindbirds said:
Raitei said:
Is it just me or was the bed sometimes right next to Tsukishima's desk and at other times it was a windows length away? That was really strange..

Yes. Short (bit.ly/wX1ulM) and long (bit.ly/vYX10F)

Think for a moment about what event happened between those two screencaps.

May 23, 2012 5:37 PM

Sep 2009
lol @ impromptu jam session
gosh did they have to announce it to the class like that? XD "otoko no!"
is it just me or the Baron changes his pose sometimes..
Seiji is too kakkoi lol
the Baron is def changing his pose! O_o
dafuq? @ the ending ._.
Jul 7, 2012 12:58 PM

Apr 2009
This is my favorite Ghibli film after Totoro, no lie. Kondo was so talented. He'd be discussed today with the same reverence as Takahata and Miyazaki if he hadn't left us so soon. :(
Jul 12, 2012 3:47 AM

Aug 2010
Although its hard to point out exactly what part I like in this movie, I do like this movie in overall. There's just something about it that makes this movie a memorable one.
Jul 25, 2012 3:06 PM

Jul 2011
I loved this movie from the start, but the last scene, when Shizuku wakes up at dawn and sees Seiji... the weather (^_^), steep hill climbing was my fav

however, did anyone else notice the distance-increase between the bed and the writing desk between scenes???? kinda odd
Jul 26, 2012 1:45 AM

Oct 2010
Netalie said:
however, did anyone else notice the distance-increase between the bed and the writing desk between scenes???? kinda odd

I read this mentioned in some other place, apparently the reason is that Shizuku's sister leaves, and therefore there is a reallocation of the furniture when her bed is not needed in the room.
Apr 25, 2013 10:08 PM

Dec 2011
For a while I thought that I was going to be disappointed with this one, which made me upset since I had high hopes for it. I liked the english Country Roads songs and the bustling town introduction, but afterwards the next 30 minutes just seemed really kind of bland and slow.. it bothered me that she was following a cat around town, and that led her to that store. I couldn't even tell where the movie was going, besides getting the picture that this was a slice of life coming of age film.

But around 45 minutes, the story started to pick up. I particularly really liked the confession conversation where it was revealed that they were both pretty dense.. and I think that was the point where her coming of age journey started. When she was alone in her room later, and she said, "You idiot, You're the dense one" I like to think that she was talking to/about herself, though it was ambiguous.

After that, really the best word to describe the rest of the movie is "magical," and it's exactly that. Shizuku's kind of a brash girl, and I didn't like her too much at times, but she's overall a realistic, relatable character. We probably all know the feeling of wanting to succeed at something at a really young age when you see others the same age as you doing so many other great things, being hard on yourself, having difficult relationships with siblings and family.. and the way everything was weaved together and resolved seemed really believable.

My favorite thing about this film is the soundtrack though. It was what I liked most during the beginning when I wasn't enjoying the film.. and I noticed how diverse it is. There's like electronic selections when she's in town, then there's lots of strings, and it all fits together pretty well. It's not like a masterpiece of an ost where every song complements every situation/character perfectly, but every track sounded pleasant or magnificent, and there are a few parts of the movie that I'll remember for what was happening and the background music that it was paired with.

Finally, the english dub isn't as good as the dubs for other Ghibli movies, but it's ok.

LOL, the ending.. "Shizuku, I LOVE YOU!!!"

jal90 said:
Netalie said:

I read this mentioned in some other place, apparently the reason is that Shizuku's sister leaves, and therefore there is a reallocation of the furniture when her bed is not needed in the room.
I noticed this too. I'm pretty sure the bunk bed was still in the room though subsequent to her sister leaving, but beforehand the room was split into Shizuku's side of the room and her sister's side (when they were vacumming, the sister told her to vacuum her side). Afterwards, I think the bunk bed was just pushed all the way over to the other wall.
EmmrysApr 25, 2013 10:14 PM
Jun 26, 2013 3:17 AM
Jul 2018

I love this movie! It's so heart warming!
I really like the part where Shizuku sang accompanied by the violin and other instruments. ♥
9/10
Dec 6, 2013 8:47 AM

Oct 2013
Love it. =))
That ending was so cute.

"Hello."

Dec 6, 2013 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
One of my favorite anime movies.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 30, 2013 8:09 AM

Mar 2013
The ending is so romantic. 8/10
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 18, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2008
I have seen this movie about oh 50 times or so over the last 6 or 7 years and everytime I see it I think it truly is a masterpiece I have seen both the dubbed and subbed version and for me I think the English was done very good for me there was something missing from the japanese VA I just cant figure out what that is dont get me wrong I would watch this movie again and again but then again that is the same in almost all the Studio Ghibli Films

Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke was my very first SG films well I cant remember just which one I saw first I am pretty sure it was Princess Mononoke though. I love both of these Movies and watch them at least 3 times a year if not more.

Spirited Away is just an amazing movie another I try to watch at least 3 times a year. Love everything about this movie

Howl's Moving Castle again is just a breathtaking movie everything about all of there movies have such a oh do I put it have such a aura about them that just makes anyone want to watch them even if that person doesnt care about anime at all like my mom she could care less but she has sat down and watched

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Whisper Of The Heart
My Neighbor Totoro
and I think Howl's Moving Castle but cant remember

yes I know there is still so many she hasnt seen oh wait just remembered one
The Secret World Of Arrietty

She enjoyed every single one of them granted she is normally sad with the ending bc most of the time the main characters dont end up together such as
Princess Mononoke
The Secret World Of Arrietty
Spirited Away

seriously need I say more all Masterpieces but that is there only downside I still have a few i need to see like Grave Of The Fireflies, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, n there new one I cant think of the name of it right now

To find out that Miyasaki is retiring is heartbreaking bc for me he is the foundation of truly spectacular, amazing, breathtaking and heart warming movies and all of them at SG

it would be a dream come true to be able to meet the creators of such masterpieces that people all over the world fall in love with

*bows* Arigatou Miyasaki-sama for such amazing films
Jan 30, 2014 1:13 PM

Oct 2008
At least it has a decent moral, I think.. But damn! It was by far the most boring Ghibli film I've seen. Even Omoide Poroporo which had its dull moments, was far more interesting than this.
It might even be one of the most boring movies I've ever seen in my life in general.
May 19, 2014 10:00 AM

Jul 2012
That was great. A classic.

8/10
Aug 18, 2014 12:50 AM

Apr 2012
Just a lovely, honest little slice of life and that's all it needed to be.

Ranks pretty high among Ghibli films for me. I get a little teary-eyed thinking about how I wish Kondo had stayed with us a little longer.
Aug 22, 2014 12:27 AM

Sep 2013
A pretty decent movie. 8/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 18, 2014 10:33 AM

Aug 2010
I'm not going to lie it was the slowest paced Ghibli movie I watched so far to the point that it makes it boring. The story started to pick up towards the middle of the movie but from that point on it was just spectacular. A true masterpiece if you will.

Music is what carried the first half. The song "Country Roads" really fits the show and we can hear it throughout the movie. But my favorite though is the characters. They are just too real and very relate-able. The struggles of what you want to want to do in life, making hard decisions and seeing your friends moving forward while you're just standing there wondering the things you want to achieve. This show came very timely in my life (or maybe a little too late) as I'm already working and seeing my friends succeeding in life while I still don't know what to do. After seeing this movie though, like Shizuku, I feel inspired to pursue the things I want to do and succeed in doing what makes me happy.

Ok enough of that crap and back to the movie. This one has a different feel to it but as in all Ghibli films it always leaves a good impression and a warm feeling after watching it and also the wonderful life lessons you can pick up. 11/10 for Miyazaki-sensei.
Sep 27, 2014 2:19 PM

Oct 2012
Another of Ghibli's masterpiece, great tale of first loves and growing up and the movie I enjoyed all the way.
I take this as sort of autobiography of Hiiragi Aoi who also wrote the manga of this.

Yoshifumi Kondou managed to grasp living atmosphere of Japanese city with all its inhabitants and the central story of Shizuku and her coming of age was great. Just about every character acted as close as it would acted in the real life and that's something you don't see so often.

Watching this some 20 years after the movie came out it also felt a bit nostalgic and the song Take me home, Country Roads by John Denver fit the theme of this movie very well.

The end could have been a little bit better and the relation between two main characters fleshed out better but well, it was good enough. At least they hinted at Sugimura and Harada going out in the end.

8/10 I really recommend this to everyone because this movie portraits daily life perfectly.
Jan 24, 2015 5:48 AM
Dec 2011
epic masterpiece ,,,,, everything is perfect in this anime of course it is ,,,it's ghibli also i am just like shizuku so this story is very warm and dear to me :3
Mar 10, 2015 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Dat old man. He's the real MVP. ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )

It was a very beautiful movie, both in term of animation, scenery and music. His weak point is probably in its storytelling (more precisely in the handling of romance), but I'll come back on that.

The animation, what is there to say about that? It simply was amazing, in all it's remade 1080p glory. Seriously, the old animation had such a way to give an emotive impact, not that I mean that it is impossible in our current animation era. I really felt like I was within Tokyo life and city. The low middle-class life was so well represented, it was really great. The complete mess in the house coupled with the fact that the apartment was so small brought so much life into the little family. The scenery was so powerful too. Between the swarming Tokyo, the suburban alleys and the surrounding mountain bordering the city, every details was there.

One of the strong point of the movie was definitely its OST. It really gave the tone and improved the story pacing, which was a bit too slow for my taste. Between the ambiant music, the choral and improvised singing from the cast and the overall OST, everything was perfectly executed. Even myself that isn't at all into country music found myself waving my head, hypnotised by the interpretation of ''Take Me Home, Country Roads''! It was to me an anthology scene, when all the old folks appeared and started playing with the younglings.

Isn't romance beautiful? It really is, making all sort of fuzzy feelings. Such a cute little movie, full of love. Sadly though, I think it wasn't enough exploited or at least, I felt like we missed some devellopement between Shizuku and Seiji. I could definitely see the chemistry between the two, but it happened so fast, without any warning. I noticed tho that Sugimura and Yuuko seem to have got closer, in the ending.

I honestly though that it was a very beautiful Ghibli, giving a very interesting message. Life isn't forged from what the others see in us or what they want us to be, it come from within us and what we feel to do/become. Inspiration can come from unexpected places and feelings. If I was still in my adolescence, that kind of message would have probably helped me, but I hope it help others young ones who are confused about their life.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 18, 2015 8:07 PM

Jul 2009
Wow ... what a great movie! I really loved it :D Probably one of my favourite Ghibli movies that I've seen. I really liked how it focused on Shizuku and the characers and how she grew up over the course of this movie. Ah, young love ... getting confessed to after trying to tell him that Yuko liked him ... oh gosh. Then of course Seiji ... and letting that spur her on to write a really wonderful novel :D The fantasy parts with the Baron was super cool. Such imagination! Then of course her family stuff with her sister moving out and her deciding what to do with her life ... I mean even I don't know! The old man (I don't think we ever find out his name?) was super awesome too. What a story about the Baron and his love, and the clock was really cool too (noticed the "Porco Rosso" on it :P). Then when Seiji came back ... it was so sweet, honestly. I normally don't like romance but this was super well done. I was a bit surprised at the end when he asked her to marry him (aren't they really young, like 14? O_O) but it DID fit, I thought, though I was expecting only a confession XD

Yeah so honestly, really awesome film. The OST was really nice (improv jam session! :P) and the animation, well, it's as good as you can expect for such an old film. Obviously the characters and seeing Shizuku grow up was the best part for me :') It was just a really touching film and I can say that I loved watching it. 10/10
Apr 30, 2015 3:24 PM

Jul 2013
I liked it! :)
May 22, 2015 6:27 AM

Jan 2012
I'd rate this somewhere between master piece and piece of shit (aka typical slow paced chick flick)
Jun 3, 2015 9:44 AM

Nov 2011
Now I want to watch this again, after finishing Omohide Poroporo. Bring me back to the fucking city please.

But then "marriage" is mentioned here as well. Fuck this shit.

>No relationship built
>"Marry me"

Maybe a rewatch will heal these scrotal wounds.
Jun 3, 2015 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
Hey yeah, some of the BGs, or maybe just one, was/were used in Iblard Jikan.
Jun 22, 2015 1:50 AM

Sep 2014
I have an IQ of 256

I am superior

This movie is not. Nothing happened and then it ended
Jul 4, 2015 5:46 PM

Oct 2013
This is a perfect example of why I love SoL so much. I rate it 9
Jul 31, 2015 1:20 AM

Jun 2012
My second Ghibli movie, and I loved it. Not the romance part, but the thing about chasing your dreams. I know it's cliched, but hey, this movie was so good that it almost felt like a live action movie. 9/10!!

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Aug 7, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2014
I have this HUGE grin on my face right now as I finished watching this movie.
Hats off to the makers! I just loved everything about this movie. The animation, character development, the magic in it...everything. Definitely one of my favourites.
"Will you marry me?" *~*
Damn, now I want a Seiji in my life <3
Nov 12, 2015 1:55 PM

Jul 2009
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would considering I don't usually like slice of life anime but this had a certain charm to it. I liked the love triangle (or chain?) going on throughout the film and Seiji was an interesting male protagonist compared to the normal cliche. The fantasy sequence was animated beautifully and it makes me look forward to watching The Cat Returns. Overall I rate it 7.5/10.
Nov 19, 2015 11:29 PM

Jul 2013
Wanted to watch this because I was wondering if there were any Ghibli films released during my birth year, and much to my joy this film was aired just a few days after I was born. :D

Definitely one of my favorites - Kiki's Delivery Service has the most sentimental value to me but this movie left a huge mark on me so it might come close. It's amazing how these movies demonstrate the beauty that love can create. :) And I love the childlike purity behind it - I think it'll serve as a reminder to always stay true to myself and keep following my dreams.

10/10 from me! Seiji's grandpa was a really unique character to get to know as well. I think what he said about being a rough and unpolished stone will stick with me, despite being in my 20s already. It's never too late to start and find inspiration!
Feb 2, 2016 9:56 AM

Apr 2014
Pretty much my favorite Ghibli Movie up until now. 9/10
Feb 7, 2016 3:28 AM
May 2015
The scene in Seiji's basement where he plays the violin while she sings her version of Country Road and later those htree smoothly join in and take in to the note is one of the most beautiful and wonderful and joy-bringing scene of any visual media I have ever watched.
Another scene I loved was when she first met his grandfather in his shop and he shows her the clock that he fixed.
The ending seemed a litlle too-much but I loved the scene where he showed up at her home and took her to the hill and they saw the sunrise (although it seemed a little 'seen-before' to me).
The moment where she finally breaks up and lets out all her suppressed emotions and tension on finally completing her work and showing it to gramps was pretty intense too.
InfernusFlazeFeb 7, 2016 3:33 AM
Mar 31, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2008
So no happy end for her friend? If they were going to spend the time with that particular drama I wish there would be some resolution one way or the other... but I guess that is nitpicking.

Not sure how I feel about the declaration of 14 yr olds declaring they'll marry each other in the future but I have to admit the movie is rather cute overall.
Sep 12, 2016 2:03 AM

Aug 2014
I just watched this for the first time today (its been out 20 years I'm so sorry ;-;) and this is by far my favourite Ghibli film. For me its less about the relationship and more about finding what you really want to do with your future.

Sure the 'Let's get married' thing was a little silly, but I truly believe they were in love each other and they're only middle-schoolers so I have no worries about.
Oct 17, 2016 10:57 AM
Jan 2016
Never fail to amaze me. After Re-watch it I still find it fantastic. 9/10
Sep 1, 2017 6:42 PM

Nov 2013
Really good movie, it was an interesting story about how inspiration can come from anywhere. It was a bit slow, but this was probably the most realistic Ghibli movie I've seen and inspiring even though it wasn't the most fun/exciting thing to watch.

8/10

I would have liked to see another movie of them in the future.
Sep 20, 2017 9:57 PM
May 2014
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just a perfect little gem of a movie. (not from a shop either, but raw!)

Three moments I loved were:

# Seiji being asked to play the violin, with Shizuku singing, then the three guys join in with their instruments.

# Seiji and Shizuku on the roof with the entire class having followed them from the classroom, hilarious.

# "Will you marry me?"

EDIT: I should clarify by raw I meant the gem and not the anime, my Japanese isnt that good yet...ahem.

F u f u f u for spoiling
Nov 19, 2017 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
This movie has that nostalgic Ghibli vibe, there is passion in every detail.
That's what I love about these movies, it feels good to watch them.
Nov 21, 2017 6:40 AM

Dec 2015
This was the most boring and uninteresting Ghibli movie I've seen. Too grounded and too focused on brats in love. 2/10.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 19, 2018 3:14 PM

Oct 2015
The story had a potential to be great by displaying their progress later in life. For an example show them in future achieving or have fulfilled their goals and then they marry as Seiji suggested.

Shizuku would be publishing or published her novel "whisper of the heart" and Seiji would be having his craft shop where he crafts violins and other craftsmanships. Then they marry and throw in a baby, that would've made story romantic.

I felt the romance was weak and that they only threw in words like marriage ( for goodness sake they in middle school) and "I love you" to excite viewers and you all fell for it ( without scrutiny).

5/10 from me.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 24, 2018 12:09 PM

Nov 2011
Although different from the Ghibli films seen so far, all very busy in the field of environmentalism and not only, I must say that I enjoyed it very much. Less dynamic than the various films of the master Miyazaki, it is still a beauty to see it, calm and pleasant. I'm sorry only for the final, I wanted something more, at least see if the two protagonists and not only would have put together and eventually married, oh well! Really beautiful sunrise in the final part and not only that. Interesting as Shizuku's mother bucks the consumerist society at the beginning of the film in the first few minutes, wow! If this was the first film directed by Kondou Yoshifumi, I'm sad knowing that it will be the only one, given the beauty of this film.

9/10
Feb 26, 2018 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
Guess I'm again one of the few that didn't like the movie that much.
But it was alright, I also liked the song.
6/10 from me
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Mar 19, 2018 2:41 PM

Aug 2016
Let's say I am going through similar life experience and this movie was very inspirational as somehow nostalgic as well to me. It really got my feels. Longs story short, ending titles made me cry like a LITTLE BIATCH!

PS: So shame this debut of director was his last because of life tragedy. Movie had very personal and unique style of art and animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Feb 2017
The rooftop scene was really cute.
May 12, 2018 12:40 PM
Aug 2017
Okay... so first this was a movie about a book-loving girl who saw a book-loving boy's name on a book and we thought things would go on from there, although the girl's image wasn't a "book-loving girl" at all and instead it was a clumsy stupid girl who walked on the street dancing while there were cars coming and who followed a random cat all the way through the city for no goddamn reason.

Then it turned into a movie about a singing girl who wrote and translated songs. We thought she would either be an aspiring translator or a singer.

But then it was neither and it turned into the story of a girl who felt useless and jealous after seeing the talent of others, so she wanted a specialty of her own and she chose... writing? That was so out of the blue.

It felt like the person who wrote this couldn't decide between the themes of being a cute book nerd, singing, translating, playing instruments, writing and romance. So he combined all of it and made this really random movie. The theme shifted too many times and the character development was a bit off. There were a few nice metaphors such as the emerald, and how it might look less beautiful once it gets turned into something. But overall the movie felt really simple and pointless. I was pretty much like "...yep, that was a movie".
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Very overrated

xONLYINHUMANx - Jul 9, 2023

22 by KayKimii »»
Jul 13, 2023 9:43 PM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - May 2, 2009

12 by jamsndu84 »»
Jul 29, 2022 4:11 AM

» Where tf did yall watch this

doodlenoodle613 - Jun 12, 2021

20 by MrFanatic »»
May 13, 2022 7:11 PM

» Giving proper kudos to Yoshifumi Kondo

T-Wazoo - Dec 3, 2021

1 by iDenisade »»
Dec 3, 2021 9:25 PM

» OMG

Cloudrayne - May 31, 2007

41 by MoustacheDino »»
Jun 18, 2021 10:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.