Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2011 9:20 AM

Feb 2010
All of as at some certain time we get confused in which order we have to watch some anime that have various movies, OVA and series throughout the years and we get lost in the process to find the right order. I'm thinking we should have a first page here that we should renew it all the time and having as much info as possible for the most well known anime. I kindly request your help if you like and I'll try to make it as helpful as possible. It's gonna take time but I think it's gonna be alright!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Macross

Armored Trooper Votoms

Captain Harlock

Galaxy Express 999 - Queen Millennia - Maetel related stuff

Yamato

Gundam (Universal Century [UC] timeline)

Space Adventure Cobra

Mazinger Z

Getter Robo

Ranma ½

Kimagure Orange Road

Urusei Yatsura

Dragon Ball

Saint Seiya

Dirty Pair (plus Crusher Joe info)

Captain Tsubasa

Slam Dunk

Transformers (Generation 1 continuity)

You're Under Arrest

The list is going to be renewed at times!
Anakin1981Jan 30, 12:04 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 15, 2011 11:31 AM
Oct 2010
The main series of LoGH is supposed to be watched at the very end? And I'm already 23 episodes in! The only other LoGH-related media I've watched is "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars". What should I do now? Put the main show on-hold and start at the very beginning with Spiral Labirinth or finish the main series anyway and then cover all the prequals?
tempo_plusSep 15, 2011 12:50 PM
Sep 15, 2011 11:51 AM

Jun 2009
Don't worry! I watched LOGH the same way as you + Overture to a New War movie so I watched the so-called Wenli-Reinhard OVAs: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights; My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars and Spiral Labyrinth after the main story. I just took it as a background information for the main story. Golden Wings movie I watched the last as it has different art and style and I didn't want to mix.

Now I think that it would have been better if I had watched in suggested order but it's not a rare case when OVAs following some series tells more about the main characters and their background as in this case.
Sep 15, 2011 11:54 AM

Nov 2007
I get what this thread is all about and I find it interesting. Only thing is that in the case of LOGH here, that's just the timeline, not the right order that I would recommend anyone to watch it in. While you could, I'm more of a believer in watching anime in the order they were released. Otherwise you're jumping around decades of animation styles and you might not fully appreciate the prequels unless you've seen the original series.
HisokaHajimeSep 15, 2011 11:57 AM
Sep 15, 2011 1:27 PM

Jun 2009
HisokaHajime said:
I get what this thread is all about and I find it interesting. Only thing is that in the case of LOGH here, that's just the timeline, not the right order that I would recommend anyone to watch it in. While you could, I'm more of a believer in watching anime in the order they were released. Otherwise you're jumping around decades of animation styles and you might not fully appreciate the prequels unless you've seen the original series.

I have to disagree with you here. For example, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs. If someone follows your way of watching, he/she happens to see the sequel before prequel. The sequel JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 6 OVAs is from 1993 and the first part of the story is 7 OVAs from 2000.

I almost did this mistake to start watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure from the middle but I read about it on some forum so I escaped making this mistake.

Anyway, I think it's a very good idea to share our knowledge on subject because it's often very confusing.
Sep 15, 2011 2:09 PM

Nov 2007
There are exceptions to everything. But the two examples we have so far with LOGH and Votoms, I would recommend that everyone start with the main series. Another thing you need to remember is that often times you're not always supposed to know details of a characters past. It can also make flashbacks feel less significant since you wouldn't actually be learning anything as your were originally intended to.

Also, what about voices? With LOGH someone would be hearing Yang's voice replacement before his original? It would be weird for me to see someone go through it in that order. While the LOGH prequels are fantastic, the same can't be said for every series that has extra installments. Especially someone who prefers old school anime. Let's face it, most tacked on OVAs and movies aren't anywhere near the level of the meat of the story. Some are hit or miss.

So more times than not, I'm not a fan of timeline orders nor would I watch them that way during rewatches. It just doesn't feel natural. As for JoJo that seems like one of those examples where it was intended as a treat for the existing manga readers. Which is evident in the fact that it was never released from beginning to end. Readers of the manga can probably appreciate them more than someone just watching those randomly. So in the case of JoJo I would say the manga and then the OVAs to get the most out of it. Which is kind of my entire point here.
Sep 15, 2011 4:12 PM

Oct 2007
I always wonder how I should watch all of the Leijiverse anime. I've accumulated nearly every series/ova/movie, but I wonder how I should get into it. I've seen the the Queen Millennia, Queen Emeraldas and Maetel Legend movie/OVA, am watching Galaxy Express 999 right now. Should I push Space Symphony Maetel and Kasei Ryodan Danasaito 999.9 in between now before it's to late? I don't even dare to think about the whole Harlock franchise. There's also the problem with Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers, where I'm in the middle of the first season... ^^ Should I complete the SBY franchise before going on?

I've got this timetable from someone at BakaBT:

On LOGH: I don't really remember in which succession I have watched them, but watching the movies in before shouldn't be that much of a problem, unlike with the Spiral Labyrinth and A Hundred Billion Lights, which should be seen after the long series and the movies.
SchabrakSep 15, 2011 4:45 PM
^_^ ^_^
Sep 15, 2011 4:54 PM

Nov 2007
There is no official right way to watch his work since he himself has admitted many times that there isn't. He's the most all over the place writer that I've ever seen and there are lots of different versions of storylines.

Galaxy Express 999 is one that lots of things link to in ways. So I would finish that. I probably would have held off on anything involving Maetel till after that, but it's not a big deal. Watch the GE999 movies after that. Then Galaxy Railways comes in.

Yamato is it's own thing. Each season continues from where the last left off and the hardest part is figuring out where all the movies fit in. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock is a great place to start for his story. I'd watch Arcadia of My Youth the movie after that and the SSX series when it's finished being subbed. Then the newer stuff like Harlock Saga which isn't that great and The Endless Odyssey which is a remake/retelling of the original.

Then you have titles like Cosmo Warrior Zero and Gun Frontier which are fine to slip in once you know Harlock and company a bit better.
Sep 15, 2011 5:44 PM

Oct 2007
So there's no problem going from Galaxy Express to Galaxy Railways without touching Harlock?

The relation graph has changed a bit since for SBY since the newest movie came out. lol http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8329/spacebattleshipyamatore.jpg to http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=6680
^_^ ^_^
Sep 15, 2011 6:10 PM

Nov 2007
I always find the those hilarious to look at. So yeah, use that for the Yamato movie placements. As for your question, you can watch GE999 and go to Railways without any Harlock knowledge. Harlock only makes a cameo in GE999 and in the first movie. But definitely get in the 70s Space Pirate Captain Harlock series as well. It's great stuff.
Sep 16, 2011 3:17 AM

Feb 2010
HisokaHajime said:
My friend I kindly ask for your help if you want to contribute to this topic. It was meant to help some people. You're right about watching stuff in the production order but then you get confused as you watch things that were in the past. That's why I say it's best if you watch it in the right timeline. If you ask me about LOGH I always say watch the 2 movies and then the main series. After them you can watch the 2 OVAs and the Golden Wings movie.

I'll post later some of Matsumoto's stuff...
Sep 16, 2011 8:58 AM

Nov 2007
I think I'd be more on board if this thread was called the "The timeline order for some of the well known anime". The timeline order being called the "right order" isn't exactly something I can agree with since that's not always the case. I don't want people to become confused which already happened one post into this thread for tempo_plus. He assumed he was watching it all wrong after reading which is not the case.

I looked over the Matsumoto stuff and that sounds about right. Gundam is one of those franchises where you can watch it in the timeline order or whatever you want really. The only real connection is MSG, Zeta, Double Zeta and Char's Counterattack.

I can work on Kimagure Orange Road. It gets a bit confusing since the OVAs can be watched at random parts of the main series and then the two movies comes after everything.
Sep 16, 2011 9:25 AM

Feb 2010
HisokaHajime said:
I think I'd be more on board if this thread was called the "The timeline order for some of the well known anime". The timeline order being called the "right order" isn't exactly something I can agree with since that's not always the case. I don't want people to become confused which already happened one post into this thread for tempo_plus. He assumed he was watching it all wrong after reading which is not the case.

I looked over the Matsumoto stuff and that sounds about right. Gundam is one of those franchises where you can watch it in the timeline order or whatever you want really. The only real connection is MSG, Zeta, Double Zeta and Char's Counterattack.

I can work on Kimagure Orange Road. It gets a bit confusing since the OVAs can be watched at random parts of the main series and then the two movies comes after everything.
I don't mind if you like to make any changes at all my friend! After all it's not a job I can take fully on myself! I just try to give some suggestions to all our members here and of course there are gonna be mistakes or arguments. After all that's why we are all here for!
Sep 16, 2011 9:30 AM

Nov 2007
I added KOR. That was a confusing few minutes lol.
Sep 16, 2011 10:56 AM

Feb 2008
I agree that Votoms and LOGH are probably best watched in production order. Although with LOGH I started with My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and I think that's a pretty good starting taste of the series. But I think it worked out better that I watched Reinhard's Gaiden after the series, at that point I knew him already but got to see how he became the man he was in the main series and it made me like him even more.

That Matsumoto stuff is crazy... all I really know is that some of the GE999 movies are directly related, along with the obvious Yamato seasons 1, 2, and 3, but other than that yeah you can jump around a lot with those shows.

Macross probably isn't a huge deal either with where you start. Macross 7 is the only one that is closest to the original since it has some recurring side characters, but that's about it. I still think it's best to watch SDF and DYRL first though.
Sep 16, 2011 11:21 AM
Sep 2007
The best way to watch something is to watch it in order it aired; doesn't matter if prequel came out later.
Sep 16, 2011 6:37 PM

Aug 2007
Production order is the best order in most cases. For example, watching the main series of LOGH LAST boggles my mind.

When it comes to "order," at the very least always watch the main series and its direct sequels first. That's the way it was meant to be seen.

At the very, VERY least, always watch the main series first.

Stuff like Macross where it's just a bunch of loosely-related series doesn't matter as much.
KTKoreSep 16, 2011 6:48 PM
Sep 17, 2011 8:41 AM

May 2010
For anyone who knows the Urusei Yatsura series very well, does anybody know the chronological order amongst the TV series, OVA's, and movies that were released?
Oct 2, 2011 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
Didn't get into LOGH yet, but I'm planning on getting into more Old school series, LOGH included. Personally, I'm going to start with the main series first, then whatever is recommended to watch next, etc., but some of these series aren't on MAL.
Oct 2, 2011 11:12 PM

Feb 2010
SSJLuffy said:
Didn't get into LOGH yet, but I'm planning on getting into more Old school series, LOGH included. Personally, I'm going to start with the main series first, then whatever is recommended to watch next, etc., but some of these series aren't on MAL.
You better start with the 2 movies and then go into the main series. As for my post I have to edit it since it's confusing some of you. There are some stories from the 2 OVAs that are prequels to the original series and I just putted them in the right order. Expect an edit in the next few days in order to be more accurate. :)
Oct 15, 2011 5:14 AM

Jun 2009
kanon-chan said:
For anyone who knows the Urusei Yatsura series very well, does anybody know the chronological order amongst the TV series, OVA's, and movies that were released?

I hope that this post would not dissapear as the previous one. :(

I plan to start with Urusei Yatsura in the nearest future and it would be very nice if that person who put out the timeline for the series, could do that again. It was amazingly well-done! Such a pity that bloody MAL took it away!
Oct 15, 2011 6:19 PM
Nov 2007
Haha, oops. I should check the club more, but yes I will get the UY list I made back up tonight (I have it saved on my other computer).
Oct 15, 2011 7:45 PM
Nov 2007
Here is a release date order list for Urusei Yatsura but it might not be entirely accurate.

Urusei Yatsura TV 1 (Oct 14, 1981) - 21 (March 24, 1982)
Urusei Yatsura TV Special: It's Spring! Take Off! (April 1, 1982 or April 2, 1982 according to MAL)
Urusei Yatsura TV 22 (April 7, 1982) - 58 (Feb 2, 1983)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You (Feb 11, 1983 or Feb 13, 1983 according to MAL)
Urusei Yatsura TV 59 (Feb 16, 1983) - 99 (Feb 8, 1984)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer (Feb 11, 1984)
Urusei Yatsura TV 100 (Feb 15, 1984) - 140 (Jan 23, 1985)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 3: Remember My Love (Jan 26, 1985)
Urusei Yatsura TV 141 (Jan 30, 1985) - 191 (Feb 19, 1986)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 4: Lum the Forever (Feb 22, 1986)
Urusei Yatsura TV 192 (Feb 26, 1986) - 195 (March 19, 1986)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Inaba the Dream Maker (July 18, 1987)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 5: Final/Kanketsu-hen (Feb 6, 1988)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Raging Sherbert (Dec 2, 1988)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Nagisa's Fiance (Dec 8, 1988)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: The Electric Household Guard (Aug 21, 1989)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: I Howl at the Moon (Sep 1, 1989)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Goat and Cheese (Dec 21, 1989)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Catch the Heart (Dec 27, 1989)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Terror of Girly-eyes Measles (June 21, 1991)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: Date with a Spirit (June 21, 1991)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 6: Always My Darling (November 2, 1991 or Aug 18, 1991 according to MAL)
Urusei Yatsura OVA: The Obstacle Course Swim Meet (Dec 23, 2008)

Everything before the dash line seems fairly accurate I think, but once it gets to the OVAs I am not sure. MAL says the OVAs started on Sept 24, 1985 but the first OVA, Inaba the Dream Maker, is listed on other sites as being from 1987. Maybe the MAL list is including some of the compilation music videos which I have not put on the list. I will try to learn more about the OVA releases when I get to those episodes. I have already noticed that the Animeigo release lists "Raging Sherbert" as OVA 3, while on websites it is listed as the second OVA. The two OVAs released on the same day (June 21, 1991), I just listed in the order websites generally put them.
Oct 16, 2011 2:12 AM

Jun 2009
Physica_Fulcrum said:
Here is a release date order list for Urusei Yatsura but it might not be entirely accurate.
Urusei Yatsura TV Special: It's Spring! Take Off! (April 1, 1982 or April 2, 1982 according to MAL)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 1: Only You (Feb 11, 1983 or Feb 13, 1983 according to MAL)
Urusei Yatsura Movie 6: Always My Darling (November 2, 1991 or Aug 18, 1991 according to MAL)
Everything before the dash line seems fairly accurate I think, but once it gets to the OVAs I am not sure. MAL says the OVAs started on Sept 24, 1985 but the first OVA, Inaba the Dream Maker, is listed on other sites as being from 1987. Maybe the MAL list is including some of the compilation music videos which I have not put on the list. I will try to learn more about the OVA releases when I get to those episodes. I have already noticed that the Animeigo release lists "Raging Sherbert" as OVA 3, while on websites it is listed as the second OVA. The two OVAs released on the same day (June 21, 1991), I just listed in the order websites generally put them.

Thank you so much! It'll be a great help! Now it's only to copy and save it before MAL eats it up. XD
Oct 16, 2011 3:40 AM

May 2010
Physica_Fulcrum said:

Thanks for the guide, I appreciate it. I made a copy of the list you provided and saved it.
Dec 8, 2011 6:45 AM

Aug 2011
Wow, this thread is very helpful! Thanks for the effort, guys.

Since we're at it, does anyone know the correct order to watch Cutey Honey?
Dec 8, 2011 9:50 AM

Feb 2008
Hmm, I think most of the Cutey Honey shows/OVA's are all very stand alone, so you could maybe jump around with it. Though now that the original is subbed, may as well start with that one!
Dec 8, 2011 10:07 AM

Aug 2011
Ok, thanks a lot.
Jan 9, 2012 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
This is relevant to my interests. I'll keep in mind that order for Gundam and Macross.
Mar 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Dec 2011
Just a minor correction, for anyone watching the original Harlock series you can watch Mystery of Arcadia in place of episode 13, not after. Because it's basically a slightly extended episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2013 3:45 AM

Apr 2008
Hmm, maybe you should mention that Galaxy Express 999 contains spoilers for Captain Harlock.
Dec 12, 2013 11:04 AM
Apr 2013
can anyone give me a timeline for queen emeraldas, which is first introduce and meet tochiro and harlock. thank you guy :)
Dec 13, 2013 5:46 AM

Feb 2010
keke094 said:
can anyone give me a timeline for queen emeraldas, which is first introduce and meet tochiro and harlock. thank you guy :)
In the movie Arcadia of my Youth.
May 19, 2015 2:30 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, this is very useful. I recently watched the second movie of Urusei Yatsura and there was a character that I had yet to see in the series.
Sep 29, 2019 1:23 PM

Oct 2017
every time I go back to watch some classic old anime I ALWAYS go back and consult this post. I would like to say thank you
Oct 8, 2019 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
Aiaigasa said:
every time I go back to watch some classic old anime I ALWAYS go back and consult this post. I would like to say thank you

You're wlecome! I'm glad it helped even though it's such an old topic and I haven't added anything in ages since it's early days.
Apr 29, 2020 12:59 PM

Apr 2016
No way! Don't watch the Gaiden series first, guys. Use this guide: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1819201
Oct 30, 2023 4:46 PM

Jul 2022
I just started watching Harlock with intentions of also getting into Galaxy 999 and Yamato and this guide was immensely useful. I'm glad this still exists.
Nov 2, 2023 6:26 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to Ailes_Grises
I just started watching Harlock with intentions of also getting into Galaxy 999 and Yamato and this guide was immensely useful. I'm glad this still exists.
I'm very happpy that it's still useful after all those years! Have fun!
Jan 23, 2:13 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to Anakin1981
I'm very happpy that it's still useful after all those years! Have fun!
@Anakin1981 I've actually started on UC Gundam as well using this list as a cross reference too. Have you ever thought of adding Kidou Senshi Gundam: Cucuruz Doan no Shima movie (Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island) which came out in 2022 to the above MSG UC timeline list? It's technically an expansion of the 15th episode from the MSG TV series and could probably fit in there with Igloo and 08th MS Team.
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

Feb 2010
Reply to Ailes_Grises
@Anakin1981 I've actually started on UC Gundam as well using this list as a cross reference too. Have you ever thought of adding Kidou Senshi Gundam: Cucuruz Doan no Shima movie (Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island) which came out in 2022 to the above MSG UC timeline list? It's technically an expansion of the 15th episode from the MSG TV series and could probably fit in there with Igloo and 08th MS Team.
@Ailes_Grises Thank you for mentioning that one. I'll add it right away.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM

Sticky: » Help in finding links for old school anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2010

222 by nightjasmine »»
Apr 28, 2023 4:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.