Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 29, 2013 2:33 PM

Nov 2011
It was a nice first episode, Hermes can be a bit annoying but I guess it's something that is easy to get used to.
I liked the morality of this episode because even if you care so much about the ones you love, nothing is perfect and everyone should have a little privacy because there are times where the lie is better than the truth. This episode is saying that every human relationship needs a lie.
Dec 25, 2013 7:38 PM

Jul 2011
When I first read the 2nd novel, I was naturally engulfed in confusion. But once all that cleared up, Kino no Tabi really left an impact on me, and kept me thinking. I didn't get that vibe here in the anime, I dunno whether it's just that it's the first episode, but I'd agree with using bland to describe this episode. I guess I'll try ep 3 and then decide whether I'll continue or what.
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Dec 28, 2013 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
It was alright. Pacing was rather slow.

Meh, I guess I'll keep watching.
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 17, 2014 7:26 AM

May 2013
Hm, pretty enjoyable c:
Mar 13, 2014 4:37 PM

Jan 2013
Very similar feel to Mushishi which I'm liking. This has been on my PTW for a while and I like where this is going. A lot of backstory already set up here in this first episode.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 23, 2014 10:12 PM
Dec 2012
The passive projection of one's thoughts to one's neighbors... only if humanity were perfect would that have achieved its intended goal. That wouldn't be human, however. People are too self-interested for something that communal, if only those thoughts appeared normally for fleeting moments at a time. It's relationships that exist and thrive in spite of that self-interest that make them strong, because it is only in uncertainty where faith can be founded, trust, flourish, and selflessness, abound.

While it is human that people have the capacity for both selfishness and selflessness, there is no objective way to quantitatively assess and compare the strength of the abstracts of either. They can be compared through ordinal means, however. One can know if one quality supersedes the other. Selflessness can only surpass its opposite, however, if there is uncertainty from which it draws from, because a totally selfless individual is, by human nature, impossible. That individual will only do that which is selfless because it has no choice but to. That individual depends on selflessness to give himself or herself meaning, which, rather than in the spirit of what is actually selfless, which is beyond the self, is the letter and results in little more than self-gratification and selfishness.

I'd imagine I'd be more appreciative of the individual who, in spite of himself or herself, goes out of his or her way to help me over the individual who helps me because it is his way. The latter's no better than a robot. The same goes for love, which isn't truly love unless people recognize the inconveniences, the uncertainties of an intimate relationship of that sort and still seek one regardless.

Back to more visceral reactions, God damn... the last few minutes of Episode 1 really got to me. Bitter, yet sweet. Tragic, yet lovely. Ugly, yet beautiful. The human spirit prevails even where it fails. I'm really eager to see what different directions these Twilight Zone-esque episodes will take me.

And even while being the observing traveler, there's already a lot of melancholic depth surrounding Kino that's beautifully understated.
Jun 19, 2014 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
So this is the kind of show that offers a nice message with each story -in every single episode- ? seems interesting to me.

I liked how the country's story provides that the "thoughts" can be dangerous, the "human thoughts" destroyed this country. so now everyone lives on their own, and eventually the country will die (as the people living in it will die alone)

Amazing episode 5/5!
Drastic-MeasureJun 19, 2014 3:11 PM
Aug 1, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2012
I feel this anime is "beautiful".
And I enjoy how it provides something to think about in subtle ways. It doesn't force anything.
Aug 3, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
Veronin said:
This was very interesting and thought-provoking. Looking forward to the rest of this.
Aug 31, 2014 12:47 AM

Jul 2013
Im about to start watching this after I finish psycho pass....but 9001 episodes....what the hell?
Sep 1, 2014 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
JetFury said:
Im about to start watching this after I finish psycho pass....but 9001 episodes....what the hell?

lol mal has been hacked or something. It's only 13
Sep 30, 2014 11:56 PM

Apr 2013
I really like this anime. This episode in particular isn't anything groundbreaking or new, but it's a good introduction to the series as a whole. Each country has its own story, some better than others, and each country presents a theme. Though there are some episodes where you can't help but feel the story a bit forced and unbelievable, I still like each country's individual story. I suppose it's the episodic nature itself, but Kino's Journey has something special, though I can't put my finger on it. Anyway, this episode in particular isn't one of my favourites, and I think it may be one of the blandest episodes this series has to offer. Though, it's been a while since I've seen the series, so I might be wrong. There wasn't anything particularly deep about this episode, but I feel that's the reason it makes such a good episode. It throws you into the world of Kino no Tabi and allows you to get a feel for it. It's not overbearing or anything like that, so it makes a great first episode, even if it is a bit stretched out and feels a little inconsistent or slow-paced. Well, I'm going to enjoy re-watching this series.

Cheers.
Nov 29, 2014 2:41 PM

Mar 2014
This anime reminds me of Mushishi, but I feel like this one will be better than it.

I did like the first episode, the concept of mind reading leading to people isolating themselves from others was nice.

I feel like this is an anime I will have to take slow.
May 3, 2015 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
I always had this pegged as the weakest episode, but revisiting it has made me appreciate how it helps to establish the adventure Kino's Journey has to offer. This first episode really does a great job at portraying the sanctity of the human mind and how our thoughts are protected from being peered into by others. It's interesting how they bring up the idea of wanting to understand one another in order to end conflict as the result of their attempt has reinforced my belief that humans will always be the factor that throws the entire equation out of balance.

The story of the man, although brief, had a very bittersweet theme of longing and regret behind it. Both the man and the woman took up each other's hobbies as a means of trying to hold onto their love. It's sad because there's a possibility they could reconcile, but will never know since they are now frightened of having their minds read.

I'm definitely looking forward to this rewatch.
Jun 15, 2015 8:56 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good first episode, tragic to know how knowing each others thoughts like that backfired so much.
Was nice seeing they both still do the one thing they didnt like of each other, the female listening to the music and the male raising flowers.

Kino looks very young, wasnt sure if Kino was a male or female but I presume female - mainly because of Hermes' comment on the last scene.
Aug 17, 2015 9:59 AM
Jun 2013
That was really powerful for me. I love what they did with the song at the end. Beautiful.

This anime is very special.
Nov 30, 2015 9:59 PM

Jan 2014
Beautiful~
Jan 24, 2016 6:47 AM

May 2014
As I rewatch this first episode, I think they made it too slow and hard to get into. Which sucks because I recommend this show to a lot of people and they get turned off by episode 1 :( I like the next episode a lot more, and the one after that EVEN more.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 6, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm interesting. Looking forward to the next Episode.
Feb 11, 2016 3:05 PM

Mar 2013
Feorg said:
Did anyone notice that before drinking the solution everyone seemed to be chanting "Sieg Heil" (at least in the Japanese version) and the way they raised their glasses looked like the Nazi salute?

I noticed :)
I just noticed recently after rewatching it.
It made me lol
Mar 2, 2016 9:09 PM

Aug 2013
Decent first episode, seems like a very atmospheric series with a pretty great opening.
Apr 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Sep 2014
The sense of adventure, discovering something new, especially those weird sci-fi/fantasy like places - I love that. And then they even picked up a very interesting topic: Not understanding each other as the source of pain in this world. I liked how they approached this. Simple thought reading isn't going to help the problem, it makes it worse. People need to bring in effort by themselves to try and understand people and get their message through. Not only by words but by actions. Understanding a person has nothing to do with knowing teir thoughts but with actually actively understanding why they think or feel that way. Man that was beautiful.
May 19, 2016 7:21 PM

Feb 2013
This is a weird show. I like it.
BurntJellyMay 20, 2016 4:15 PM
Nov 11, 2016 9:44 PM

Dec 2013
This first episode had a really nice atmosphere but I don't really care for the opening :/
Nov 18, 2016 5:23 PM

Aug 2014
Didn't expect this anime to be dark, it is also depressing.
Great first episode.
Feb 3, 2017 4:43 PM

Jan 2012
Ok opening , lol at first I was like what he is talking with a bike

but yeah i got somehow that mushishi vibe here , song at the end was good (she still listen to it)

next ep i am coming

Jun 26, 2017 8:59 PM

Oct 2012
Aww that was like bittersweet ending
They live still in a same town but different house
I mean if your husband/wife don't like what you like and you don't like what he/she like... What's the problem?
It's not like they'll destroy what you liked and force to like what they liked

But yeah being able to read other people's mind is pretty sweet
Not each other's mind, that'll be a hell of world
"Signature removed"
Jul 24, 2017 2:59 PM

Nov 2016
Nice start, the atmosphere and color palette are reminding me at Haibane Renmei.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 1, 2017 6:15 AM

Jul 2015
The first half was pretty boring, but the rest of the episode was nice, let's see if I like it.
Oct 9, 2017 4:46 AM
Mar 2012
slow but quite a country, nice talk with that dude. Telepathy experiment gone wrong.
Kino feels like a boy tho... ok. Bike voice so weird.
Feels like a mecha sol show.
Nov 10, 2017 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
Guess I thought I should watch this before watching remake... well, it wasn't bad but it was extremely slow and boring for the most part although the story of two lovers was nice indeed.
So it seems this would be such episodic stories then.

Can say I don't like Hermes much (maybe due to his VA) but I guess those type of stories had to sink in first before they grow on you.
Few more episodes then.
Nov 12, 2017 2:37 AM

Aug 2011
Mich666 said:
Guess I thought I should watch this before watching remake... well, it wasn't bad but it was extremely slow and boring for the most part although the story of two lovers was nice indeed.
So it seems this would be such episodic stories then.

Can say I don't like Hermes much (maybe due to his VA) but I guess those type of stories had to sink in first before they grow on you.
Few more episodes then.

If I had to recommend this series to anyone, I'd tell them to watch up to episode 2 at least.
Nov 12, 2017 11:57 AM

Oct 2012
Bunnyflower said:
If I had to recommend this series to anyone, I'd tell them to watch up to episode 2 at least.

Yeah, I plan to watch it whole gradually. I noticed the ratings are low for the first episode. Is the new series better or actually worse? (and does it tell the same stories or different ones?)
Nov 12, 2017 9:27 PM

Aug 2011
Mich666 said:
Bunnyflower said:

Yeah, I plan to watch it whole gradually. I noticed the ratings are low for the first episode. Is the new series better or actually worse? (and does it tell the same stories or different ones?)

Depends on you. The first series is difficult to recommend because of it being slow but the people who do like it love it, the director of it was also the one who did directing for Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost Hound if that gives you an idea in terms of weird atmos/presentation. I'm biased because I loved the first, despite its imperfections it's just one of those anime that stays with you, but the second I'm not sure if I can take away anything from it, if that makes sense. If I could describe it better, the first felt like it took its time while the second so far felt like it has the same concepts but says too much in one go. Some people like the design of the second, some people don't. The second actually follows the light novels better but it's up to ya whether that accounts for better execution.
The second tells different stories for the most part but the stories that do overlap with the first are the Coliseum (Episode 6/7 in 1st, episode 2 in 2nd) and probably Land of Adults in the future (Episode 4 in 1st).
Dec 21, 2017 7:17 PM
Jun 2013
ok I see what we are getting here. Its kino and her bike traveling around different places and each place has their own little thing to it like this one and the mind reading. I'm surprised this town thought reading each others mind like that would be a good idea. I mean you yourself know that people tend to keep certain thoughts to themselves and know its not best to share it. Feel bad for that guy as you can tell he was starved for some interaction and how he basically admits that most likely everyone is going to die out with only the machines up and running since noone wants to be near each other. I will say this episode took about 15 minutes to really start up. I was like get to the point.
Mar 1, 2018 3:55 PM

Jan 2017
Most of the time, characters are talking to the audience clearing things up or explaining their irrational ideologies.
The map scene is an unnecessary conversation for example.
Contemporary0091Mar 1, 2018 5:38 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
May 15, 2018 4:30 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
A long time coming to start this.

Interesting subject matter. So simplistic yet thought provoking. Really hooks you and love the aspect of the town as well.

Kino and Hermes are both quite interesting so I hope to see more of their journey and insight.
Oct 17, 2018 10:29 PM

Jul 2015
Exemplary, in the style of a Chekhov story.

Shows what a difference good writing can make in an anime
Feb 11, 2019 11:16 PM

May 2009
The first episode was nice, very adventure poi and very talking motorcycle. The way Kino slaps her 1000cc motorcycle around like it's a bicycle is a little bit ridiculous, but this isn't a motorcycle anime so I'll let it go. Plus it's a motorad, not a motorcycle, there may be aspects of it's handling that I don't understand.

Whichever villager thought it was a good idea for everyone to hear each other's thoughts deserves a smack to the face. I mean, the reasoning behind it is ok; If you feel other's pain, you won't be mean or whatever, but feeling somebody's pain and hearing their every thought are entirely different concepts. Unless of course you are Protoss, they can accomplish this because they are superior to Terrans in every way.

I really like the way they wrapped up the episode with Kino just leaving after seeing what she needed to see. No heroics or anything, just Kino passing through a freaky ass town. The scene with the wife listening to that song was a nice subtle resolution.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Apr 24, 2019 2:08 PM

Aug 2017
This anime started off with a decent first episode. Reading each others minds huh. It is a scary thing and I see why the people in that 'country' decided to live alone. Too bad the relationship of that man didn't last because of this "curse". Thought-provoking episode and I can't wait for more!
May 17, 2019 4:27 PM

Jul 2016
Amazing! I loved everything about this episode, the characters, the concepts, the designs, the music. Beautiful.
Jun 10, 2019 8:57 PM

Dec 2016
Good first episode. Not a fan of how things were established regarding the country going for the machine potion, it warrants more nuance than displayed. Still, the way it emphasizes the beauty in our flawed ways of communicating and emphatizing by the rose/music sequence close to the end, damn. Presentation is nicely done, though this early 00s air isn't one of my favorites aesthetics. Overall solid episode.

4/5
Sep 14, 2019 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
I forgot how great this episode was. The last time I watched it was years ago. In their attempt to grow closer to each other, the people of the country grew far more distant. I made a thread titled, "Anime with themes of absurdism?", and someone listed Kino's Journey 2003. At first, I didn't understand why they thought so. But I think I'm understanding now; this first episode makes it very clear that the world Kino's Journey takes place is not beautiful; life's meaningless; yet, Kino lives on embracing that meaninglessness, hence the, "This world is not beautiful, but that's what makes it beautiful". If that's not absurdism, I don't know what is.
Dec 9, 2019 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
Kino's Journey is basically One Piece without all the bullshit included.
Dec 26, 2019 6:39 PM

Sep 2017
Wow. What a beautiful first episode
Mar 20, 2020 2:09 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really good first episode, Looks like there will be a lot of diversity in the world
May 16, 2020 6:07 PM

Nov 2018
The ending made me both happy and sad, but I'm glad that the man and the woman he loved still cared about each other.

Sep 28, 2020 9:35 AM

Sep 2017
ok episode about mind reading consequences.

Moral of story: Don't opt to something just because everyone does it.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 10, 2020 2:31 AM

Jan 2020
I wonder, if with the motto of not getting involved, that Kino's gun will be important to the story.
If you're interested in the topic this episode covers, look into Kiznaiver.
IndochinaOct 29, 2020 4:05 AM
Oct 27, 2020 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
So it is an inspiration from the story of the Little Prince...?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 11, 2008

127 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 21, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 12, 2008

85 by paul1990xco »»
Apr 9, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 16, 2008

98 by Ratris_Decision »»
Jan 13, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 10, 2008

152 by 2life »»
Jan 9, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 29, 2008

197 by Toueki »»
Nov 27, 2023 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.