Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Rose of Versailles Episode 18 Discussion

Sep 8, 2011 9:14 AM
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So It's been 8 years now since the first episode, hasn't it?

I really liked to see Charlotte feel bad about the actions of her mother, I kinda thought she was on her side, because she's anti-Antoinette, but it seems her admiration for Oscar is stronger.

As for Fersen and Antoinette, this is definitely not gonna end well. I'm pretty sure though that now that the first step is taken they will start a regular affair. But what worries me more was the feeling that they tried to foreshadow some feelings between Oscar and Fersen too. I don't even want to imagine how that would end.
no more forums

Dec 7, 2011 11:42 PM

Definitely the best episode so far. I'll admit that the series has been a bit hit and miss for me, but every now and then it hits me hard. And, the scene's between Fersen and Antoinette are a great example of that. I'm not a fan of her, but I felt absolutely terrible for Antoinette when he told her, though I understood his reasons, that he was looking for a wife. And, despite the dire consequences of the affair....I was honestly cheering them on there.

I think I'm finally, finally starting to connect with Antoinette a bit now. Thanks to this episode.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
But what worries me more was the feeling that they tried to foreshadow some feelings between Oscar and Fersen too. I don't even want to imagine how that would end.

I kind of got that feeling too. But, it could just mean that Oscar was contemplating falling in love in a broad sense with no particular person in mind. But, considering this series' knack for drama......you could very well be right.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Sep 6, 2012 6:27 PM

I think Fersen is a weak character, and Antoinette is a hypocrite. She's an adulteress now, something her mother taught her is the worst thing a woman can be. Actually, everything Antoinette does is pretty stupid. She only cares about people around her, and thinks shes a good person because she keeps being nice to them. She's the queen, yet she doesn't realize what any of her responsibilities are. Oscar is also annoying when she gets upset over people who insult Antoinette, and it kind of goes against her character. I realize that she cares for her, but it's annoying how she doesn't want to accept that Antoinette is a lousy ruler. She keeps defending her by saying how she's so nice, and pure, which is true, but who gives a shit really? Try to do your job first, then be nice during your free time as much as you want.

This was more of a rant, but it just annoys me how everyone keeps making Antoinette seem like a saint, when she's really not. The king is also an idiot, but he rarely appears, so I'm not really annoyed with him.

Oct 5, 2012 2:52 AM

Knave said:
She's an adulteress now, something her mother taught her is the worst thing a woman can be.

This was one of the first things that came to mind when that last scene unfolded. She was so adamant about ignoring du Barry on these grounds, but now she's not much better. (Yeah, I get that she's been with fewer men, but still.)

I'm surprised Oscar is still so nice towards Antoinette. It's not like they grew up together or anything, but she's still way kinder when Antoinette is involved than when it's just André or something... even though André is, at least in my opinion, a much better "person" than Antoinette. (Though maybe I can't say that, because he's not really in a position of power, like Antoinette.)

Feb 15, 2013 2:25 AM

I feel so sorry for the King from what I remember he really loves Marie, but its one sided cause she loves Fersen.

That glare that Oscar gave Poignac (whatever her name is) its priceless she is on to you bitch. Better watch yo back. It seems Poignac's daughter doesn't approve of her mother's actions in trying to get rid of Oscar, but I think its because she is lesbo for her just like Rosalie and the other women in the court.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Oct 16, 2013 11:04 PM

For the first time its Oscar who is woefully naive. Of course Fernsen told Marie that he was going to get married. How on earth did Oscar expect those two to end up together without sending the court into turmoil.

And of course Marie acts on her spoiled emotions again and gets with Fernsen and now screws over the King. Ugh this is going to end bad.

Nov 3, 2013 5:16 AM

NTR!

Sep 30, 2014 6:24 PM

Knave said:
I think Fersen is a weak character, and Antoinette is a hypocrite. She's an adulteress now, something her mother taught her is the worst thing a woman can be. Actually, everything Antoinette does is pretty stupid. She only cares about people around her, and thinks shes a good person because she keeps being nice to them. She's the queen, yet she doesn't realize what any of her responsibilities are. Oscar is also annoying when she gets upset over people who insult Antoinette, and it kind of goes against her character. I realize that she cares for her, but it's annoying how she doesn't want to accept that Antoinette is a lousy ruler. She keeps defending her by saying how she's so nice, and pure, which is true, but who gives a shit really? Try to do your job first, then be nice during your free time as much as you want.

This was more of a rant, but it just annoys me how everyone keeps making Antoinette seem like a saint, when she's really not. The king is also an idiot, but he rarely appears, so I'm not really annoyed with him.

My thoughts in a nutshell. Antoinette's forgetting that she herself is married and Oscar... ah, shoujo.

REVOLUTION PLEASE.

Oct 3, 2014 7:13 AM

Not only is she extremely naive, selfish, and foolish but now she's an adulteress and a hypocrite? Boy Antoinette just keeps getting better and better.

Nov 13, 2014 6:42 PM

xAvengerx said:
Not only is she extremely naive, selfish, and foolish but now she's an adulteress and a hypocrite? Boy Antoinette just keeps getting better and better.

Feb 7, 2015 3:23 PM

I know that it is a shoujo... but i'm wanting more focus on the revolution.

Feb 14, 2015 12:48 AM

Ok, this show is starting to piss me off, first, in ep. 13 we're shown that Oscar starts to "hate" the nobles and her eyes are starting to open on what the situation in France is, then, in the coming episodes we don't see that she cares anymore, just like that.
Next, in ep.15 I believe, she's accused for the fake Queen miscarriage and we're shown how the nobles look at her, in the next episodes that come, they don't care at all, just like it didn't happen.
Now, in the previous episode, she's being stabbed on the left side, and, in this episode her right arm is shown as the one that had been stabbed, and, her miraculous survival of what seems to be a fatal wound.
There seem to be many inconsistencies.

Next of what I want to complain about is, that we're never shown about the wars they wage with Britain, their money landing to the Americans and their financial crisis, as well as bad harvest and high taxation to their people.
Major events are not being covered, but some boring romance drama is being covered...
And bloody hell, the French were fighting on multiple fronts...

I like the show, but I really don't like how it's represented and what is being shown.

Now, that my rant is over, I wanted it to be a tad bit more mature.

Mar 9, 2015 9:13 PM

perhaps I put my hopes up too much for this show, I shouldn't have expected too much from a shoujo that's over 30 years old. there's still some chance that it will become interesting, since it does have a high score

however, right now the only sole reason I'm continuing to watch this is for Oscar

also, I'm praying that Oscar doesn't have feelings for Fersen, it wouldn't make sense at all. Andre or Marie is fine but Fersen idk
Modified by beloving, Mar 9, 2015 9:30 PM

Jun 3, 2015 1:34 PM

Fersen returns; Marie Antoin-wet

ETA: almost forgot...stab wound shows up in Oscar's back on the left side. Injury? Right arm.
Modified by TheTsunami, Jun 3, 2015 1:58 PM

Sep 4, 2015 5:17 PM
It's an OLD shoujo... can't help but be amused by the comments wanting more mature themes and more focus on historical events - wrong genre, guys!

Was kinda sad about the whole stab wound being on the wrong side things, but mistakes happen.

Sep 26, 2015 9:05 AM

I somewhat agree with werberman, I mean, it IS a romance so the focus of the show should have been clear.
But at the same time the show keeps bringing issues to the table and just leaving it there. Oscar had lots of examples on how Marie is a bad ruler but she remains blindly loyal to her.

Also, plz no love triangle. I beg you.

Jan 7, 2016 4:43 PM

This won't end well lol. I can already expect Fersen to get executed or something in the next couple of episodes for having a strong relationship with the Queen.

Feb 21, 2016 4:41 PM

Mmm. That ended well.

May 5, 2016 10:57 AM

This series is throwing away everything it's trying to establish.

Let me list my issues:

1. Oscar saw how her country is suffering from the Queen so instead of advising her, she gave the citizens the middle finger. So much for a character who cared about what's going on.

2. We had that episode of the supposed miscarriage which they pretended it never happened. Why add such scene if you are not going to used it? If Oscar was indeed the reason behind her miscarriage then she should have been executed.

3. Someone got injured but no one bothered to investigating properly. Apparently, "no evidence" is an excuse to slack.

4. Antoinette's mother already know how much of a disaster her daughter currently is so why the fuck isn't she sending letters or even people to check on her? She is ruining the country so why not do something before it become a mess? She is your daughter after all!

5. In the very same miscarriage episode, they said that Antoinette couldn't get pregnant lmao. Unless her body have an issue, then I can understand but it's not. This woman haven't banged her husband enough that's why she isn't pregnant so stop acting as if she is the victim.

6. Oscar encouraged Rosalie to take fencing before she asked her to forget about her vengeance. As if that wasn't enough, the bitch couldn't protect herself when they were attacked. So what was the point of fencing?

And don't get me started on the last scene.

Jun 8, 2016 12:09 AM
Oh my god, fuck the ending of this episode, fuck Marie-Antoinette, and fuck Fersen.

Why, why, why did she have to have an extramarital affair, WHY? I feel bad for Louis XVI. I wish he would come out more often.

Also, Marie Antoinette is a fucking hypocrite. She hated Madame du berry for being a mistress, when she herself is doing the same thing Louis XV did.

Well, at least she didn't actually have an affair IRL.

Jun 11, 2016 12:59 AM

Nothing Antoinette does bother me anymore. After all, she's beautiful...
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 17, 2016 7:32 PM

Oscar definitely has feelings for Ferson. I don't know how I feel about that.

Apr 19, 2017 4:41 AM

Bloody hell, that's the last time I'm watching a preview for this show. Spoiled everything.

Anyone else find it a little off-putting that the characters' appearances haven't changed even a bit over eight years? One would assume that a 14-year old Oscar or Antoinette would look significantly different from 22-year old ones.

Anyway, still waiting for Napoleon to show up!

Sep 26, 2017 1:22 AM
seems like we are forgetting that FRANCE IS DYING!!! what is this? are we going to have a bastard from these 2 as an heir?

yotsuo said:
Oscar definitely has feelings for Ferson. I don't know how I feel about that.

i don't think she has right now, but it can happen. also, it doesn't feel right. seems weird.

Sep 27, 2017 1:35 AM

werberman said:
It's an OLD shoujo... can't help but be amused by the comments wanting more mature themes and more focus on historical events - wrong genre, guys!

Was kinda sad about the whole stab wound being on the wrong side things, but mistakes happen.

It's true that such events were never going to take precedence over the characters' internal dilemmas & drama, but it would be nice if such things were at least mentioned. It would be a much smoother way to tell the progression of time than to have a narrator blurt it out every so often. Heck, Fersen spent the majority of his four year absence fighting in the American Revolution.

Also would it have been that much harder to have Oscar's arm get stabbed instead of her back last episode? The side she was stabbed in hardly matters when the wound isn't even the same body part.

Dec 11, 2017 4:58 PM

Lol, poor Andre did nothing,but still got scolded by his grandma.

And Fersen is back, kinda looked like Oscar fell in love with him the moment she opened her eyes. It got more and more obvious during the course of the episode.

Also quite funny when Oscars and Polignacs eyes met,and the latter one got sweaty palms and was full of doubt..of course she's suspecting you.

The last scene and the kiss of Marie and Fersen was a bit overdramatic,but aside from that quite nice.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Apr 13, 2018 1:33 PM
EU TÔ MORTA COM ESSE FINAL! Vocês não fazem ideia do quão chocada eu estou. Mesmo assim não consigo sentir pena da rainha.

Apr 22, 2018 2:29 AM

Knave said:

Amen. I can empathize with her other failing, but I absolutely despise Marie for being an immoral, oath breaking adulteress. I do have a little bit of respect for Fersen for trying to avoid Versailles, knowing that if he was caught this might happen, but he still gave in and stole another man's wife.

I feel terrible for Louis; he did nothing wrong, and yet his wife has betrayed him for in-the-moment love. I'd hope that Louis would get a release from his vow and be allowed to marry a competent and truly loving woman, but alas, history has already been written.

I also empathize with Oscar's feeling of loneliness. Yes, she has Andre with her, but Andre has always been her "true companion", not her "childhood love interest". Oscar has been a bastion of integrity in this series, being the one and only uncorrupted member of the court (she's an officer very close to the royal couple, so I consider her to be a part of the court) who is strives to save France and Marie. She has seen the deplorable state France is in, and is trying to nudge Marie towards fixing it (by first getting her to actually address the people who are bringing their problems to her), but is too afraid of harming her relationship with Marie to tell her the hard truth about what she must do. She has unintentionally become a "yes-man", and by acting as if nothing is wrong, she is only reaffirming Marie's delusion that everything is alright and perpetuating the problem. She is chastised by the court for her mission of good will to save France, demonized and scapegoated because she refuses to back down from the truth, hated for not giving in to bribes, and is left with only a handful of friends. Having been raised as a man, it will be difficult for her to find "love", as she neither knows who she wants to be, nor "how" to be who she wants to be. Hopefully she has a happy ending, but I suspect that she will end up as the ultimate tragic hero of the story. :(