Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2011 3:56 AM

Sep 2011
the title says it all. :) Please give me your opinion. This is a free debate thread. Don't bash people.
<pre>
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 8, 2011 4:18 AM

Nov 2010
I think this topic has surfaced already but, nevermind , i'll give my opnion

L>Light>Near>Mello
In the anime, Near is inferior to Light, but in the manga, he is almost on par with light

Light displays a creative way of dodging the suspicion of the investigators, BUT he is at a big advantage because he possesses a weapon almost unknown to man ( a weapon with unknown specifications), it's hard to fight something you're unfamiliar with, it was an inevitable loss for L but nevertheless he's still more of a genius than Light, He managed to deduce with utmost accuracy, but Light evades this because of his advantage
and btw, the author said it himself, L is the smartest guy in Death Note, because the plot requires it

As for Near, in the Anime he just got plainly lucky because of Light's overconfidence
But in the manga he displays better manifestation of genius

And lastly Mello, he's still a genius but his emotions just get in the way, his methods are too rash, his plans has a lot of loopholes and at 70% physical action and 30% wits, in comparison to the others who use their brains more often than physical contact
Sep 8, 2011 4:23 AM

Sep 2011
Almost_Alice said:

L>Light>Near>Mello
In the anime, Near is inferior to Light, but in the manga, he is almost on par with light

Light displays a creative way of dodging the suspicion of the investigators, BUT he is at a big advantage because he possesses a weapon almost unknown to man ( a weapon with unknown specifications), it's hard to fight something you're unfamiliar with, it was an inevitable loss for L but nevertheless he's still more of a genius than Light, He managed to deduce with utmost accuracy, but Light evades this because of his advantage
and btw, the author said it himself, L is the smartest guy in Death Note, because the plot requires it

As for Near, in the Anime he just got plainly lucky because of Light's overconfidence

And lastly Mello, he's still a genius but his emotions just get in the way, his methods are too rash, his plans has a lot of loopholes and at 70% physical action and 30% wits, in comparison to the others who use their brains more often than physical contact
Sorry for the topic being a somehow replica of the previous ones. :(

I agree with you on that and the thought somehow told me that Light is very unfair in the battle of wits among the four. Anyway, do you have a link on where I can find the interview where you read about the writer's opinion about this?
<pre>
Sep 8, 2011 4:27 AM

Jul 2011
1.L
2.Near
3.Light
4.Mello
Sep 8, 2011 4:28 AM

Aug 2011
Shouldn't this be on the Death Note section?

Anyway, a poll would be good.
But of course L is smarter than them.

They admit that they're smarter than L when working together, but otherwise L is smarter than both of them.
Sep 8, 2011 5:09 AM
Jul 2018
Tiago97 said:
They admit that they're smarter than L when working together, but otherwise L is smarter than both of them.

1. L
2. Light
3. Near
3. Mello

Near doesnt count cuz hes annoying XD
(even though technically hes smarter than mello)

i still like Mello the best
even though he can be a little dumb ;]

but overall L wins
with Light just a little bit behind him
Sep 8, 2011 5:26 AM

May 2011
Noa Ikurumi wins them all.

:3
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Sep 10, 2011 4:46 AM

Nov 2010
MetalTokomon said:
I agree with you on that and the thought somehow told me that Light is very unfair in the battle of wits among the four. Anyway, do you have a link on where I can find the interview where you read about the writer's opinion about this?

here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_(Death_Note)#cite_note-HowtoRead191-14

Ohba said that L is the smartest character in the manga because "the plot requires it".

Ohba, Tsugumi (2008). Death Note 13: How to Read. Viz Media. p. 215. ISBN 1-4215-1888-0.

Death Note 13: How to Read describes L in the Death Note yonkoma as the "holder of the world's greatest mind" and having the "powerful ability to act like a fool". Death Note 13: How to Read adds that in the yonkoma "it's like born to be mocked".

If you've read the manga, a special chapter is given for the elaboration of the characters, that's where you'll find it
Although in the How to Read, L was displayed has slightly less intelligent than Light and Near, they changed it soon, and in the Anime, the author again confirmed it, L is superior to Light and Near

http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/L
look up his intelligence rating and compare it to the three
RadiGenSep 10, 2011 4:50 AM
Sep 28, 2011 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
Yang Wenli
Oct 16, 2011 1:31 PM

May 2010
Reinhard von Lohengramm
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 20, 2012 10:56 AM
Feb 2012
Intelligence wise in the manga...

Out of a possible 10 points (10 being the highest 1 being the lowest)

Light is 9/10
Near is 9/10
L is 8/10
Mello is 7/10

Light and Near are tied for the most intelligent. Sorry L fans but Near IS smarter than L. However L IS the better detective. This is because it takes far more than raw intelligence to be a detective. You need initiative. You need to take action.
Mello is the best at doing this. Mello gets shit done. L however is the best
balance between intelligence and initiative.

Initiative

Mello 10/10
L 9/10
Light 8/10
Near 6/10

Near is the brains.
Mello is the brawn

L is both.

Light is too. However the sum of Near and Mello is great than L or Light.

Why?

Because

Near's intelligence is 9/10
Mello's initiative is 10/10

They get shit done and they do it right.
Apr 28, 2012 10:32 AM
Mar 2012
L/ Near
Light
Mello
Dec 23, 2013 2:12 AM

Mar 2013
It'll be
Light > L > Near >Mello

Light was dealing with multiple enemies. His advance planning, deductive reasoning and ability to control and influence others was simply outstanding!!
FinalFlash18Sep 1, 2014 6:43 AM
Dec 30, 2013 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
rohan18 said:
It'll be
Light > L > Near >Mello

Light was dealing with multiple enemies. His advance planning, deductive reasoning and ability to control and influence others was simply outrageous.

Totally agree with you, I can't understand when people say that Light "possesses a weapon almost unknown to man" then, that's all about that? And what about L that can afford to construct a huge building just for this investigation, can dispose of use of countless man and ultimate technology, can be invasive and install cameras in your entire room to stalk you, can chain up you with him with, can get to a point to KIDNAP and TORTURE you to tell the truth (and don't say he didn't do that because what he did with Misa when she abdicated the first time and the time he locked her and Light in that prison?).

While Light might have the advantage of the Death Note, he managed to keep doing his "work" while L was being so invasive in his life. Light get to a point where he put a shinigami in a dead end, he played with his feelings; and we are talking about a creature that's alive for countless years.

By the way, I'm really surprised to know that the creator said L is supposed to be the smartest.
Jan 6, 2014 12:56 AM

Jul 2013
1. Light
2. L
3. Near
4. Mello
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2014 9:10 AM

Jul 2008
Light is clearly the smartest. Anyone who says otherwise must have been watching a different anime.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Feb 22, 2015 5:38 PM
Feb 2015
Touka said:
Light is clearly the smartest. Anyone who says otherwise must have been watching a different anime.

Uh sorry for the bump but the author himself confirmed that L is smarter because the plot requires it. L is clearly the smartest and Mello the dumbest. The other 2 are up for debate.

And if you're talking about multiple intelligences and foresight, don't forget Light actually thinking that mass death noting murderers was the honorable thing to do from the very beginning.
Feb 27, 2015 8:19 PM
Sep 2014
L is the smartest but his friendship with Light clouds his judgement

Light is 2nd smartest.

Near is 3rd

Mello is 4th
Feb 27, 2015 8:22 PM
Apr 2014
hottbill said:
Yang Wenli
Mar 1, 2015 9:05 AM

Nov 2013
bayanime14 said:
L is the smartest but his friendship with Light clouds his judgement
Lol...
May 5, 2015 1:27 PM
Apr 2015
Mello is smartest. Then Near then Light then L. Undoubtedly.
(But really my opinion is Light>L>Mello>Near
While Near did display some genius it seems to me that all the information he needed to deduce Kira's identity was handed to him on a silver platter. That's just the way I see it. Mello may not be smarter than near but he's smarter than people give him credit for.
May 6, 2015 7:15 PM
Mar 2015
1.L
2.Light
3.Near
4.Mello

L had the best deductive skills. He was the only one to make a connection between Light and Kira. He made the connection that Kira had to be Japanese, a student, immature, connected to the police.

P.s Near only beat Light because he had Mello's help!
Issei_TJ07May 6, 2015 7:22 PM
Jun 10, 2015 1:43 PM

Mar 2015
Mello's intelligence is underrated. He thinks up theories quickly and, unlike other characters, isn't afraid to take action. He's probably still at the bottom, but I think it's pretty close.
1. Near
2. L
3. Light
4. Mello.
Aug 2, 2015 11:39 AM

Dec 2013
Near had everything handed to him. Right from where he enters the manga, he has full cooperation of the FBI and the United States. A lot of information on Kira is already out there because L did all the footwork, despite being put in what looked like an impossible situation. It is because of all this that Near is the least intelligent.
Light managed to maintain his roles as Light Yagami and Kira for several years and eventually became the stand-in L- a position that L himself said would be the ultimate position. However, he would have been found out if stupid Rem hadn't killed L.
Mello built a network of support and information all on his own. He just does as well as Near despite not having all the advantages that Near has. Because of his recklessness, he ended up having to cooperate with Near and was just another advantage that Near had over Light
1. L
2. Light
3. Mello
4. Near
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ~That Nietzsche guy
Aug 6, 2015 10:50 AM

Jul 2014
Script and stats its
Near=Light>L>Mello

For plot requirement it becomes
L>Light>Near>Mello

For me its
L>Light>Near>Mello
L was definitely smarter than Light the only problem with him is he was clouded by friendship, he knew early on that Light is Kira.
Aug 13, 2015 4:47 AM
Feb 2015
Near in my opinion.
Since L<Kira
Kira<Near
Sep 25, 2015 8:28 PM

Sep 2015
I wanted Light to be the smartest, but we saw how that turned out...
1. L
2. Near
3. Light
4. Mello
Idk, i don't really think Mello is very smart because he lets his immaturity get the best of him. tbh, Mello and Light are really similar. they act before they think. then, of course, L and Near are similar as well.
Oct 24, 2015 6:18 AM
Oct 2015
Obviously light was dumbest as he included other people to write names in death note.if he didn't included others he could be alive.he could be god of world as he had the most deadliest weapon on earth I.e death note but he didn't used his brain. It is not fair to say that L loses because he died as it is impossible to beat something without knowing anything about it which proves that L was the most intelligent of all.near is second because of his intelligence in such a small age.mello is third as near won't be able to catch kira (light) without his help
Hence.....
1.L
2.near
3.mello
4.light
Oct 28, 2015 4:50 AM
Jun 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CUShSdeDo

Check the video link out for a in depth character review of Light Yagam! If you enjoyed this discussion then subscribe for more Death Note discussion videos on my youtube channel!!
Mar 10, 2016 4:01 AM
Mar 2016
L is smartest. Firstly, it was because of his investigation that the police even found out about the death note's existence. Someone on this page said L doesn't take much initiative.I disagree. L confronted light and even revealed his identity to him. In a death note movie, he stopped an epidemic from spreading. He cracked the Los Angeles BB case. He also solved over 3500 other cases and formed relations in the underworld, like the social guy who pretended to be eraldo coil with the yotsuba and the hacker. He knew the whole time that light was kira but friendship came in between. He also knew that misa was 2nd kira but later thought otherwise as she forfeited the ownership and didn't show any signs of being 2nd kira. mello and near were cool too but answer this question: if instead of L, the investigation was done by near and mello from the starting (without any proof of the death note's existence) could they have solved the case from scratch? I don't think so.
starksilverMar 10, 2016 4:05 AM
Mar 31, 2016 5:24 AM
Mar 2016
Matsuda is, obviously, the one true genius here.
Back to relevant matters, L, according to the authors, is the smartest person in the anime because 'the plot requires it'. Light is the second smartest but outwits L by using a supernatural killing method. I would then say Near is next then Mello because M is more rash and physical compared to N. However if N and M were considered to be a group rather than individuals (like the movie where N and M are alter egos of the same person) then they would go before L.
Apr 2, 2016 8:24 AM
Sep 2015
1-L
2-Kira
3-Near
4-Mello
In terms of intelligence, I think L is the best even though he lost to Kira who had a shinigami on his side, in other words, a power beyond the reach of any human, which is absolutely NOT FAIR. And I think Light surpasses Near and Mello espesially when it comes to experience and it was only thanks to them joining forces that he was defeated.
Apr 2, 2016 3:43 PM
Apr 2016
couldnt have said it better my self, though the last few episodes kinda make you forget how smart light was, he was still incredibly smart. Also th dnote isnt a power meant for humans
May 3, 2016 7:56 PM
May 2016
L>Light> Near> Mello ( L greater scarcely higher due to Light being overconfident and less meticulous against Near and Mello)

I dont think that someone who has seen the show can dispute L being number 1 or at least on the same level as Light. I say this because L against all odds started a case to track someone using the supernatural.All his conclusions were correct and in the end he had Light very nearly cornered ( one cant deny the liability misa was to light but it was misas involvement as a whole with Rem and her shinighami eyes which led to L dying. Even if Light matched L's intelligence it seems almost impossible that he could kill L without someone with shinighami eyes helping. And it would also seem impossible for L to come close to winning without Misa's help. But thats just my opinion)

Lets not forget that Tsugumi Ohba said: "Anytime L throws out a number, it means that he suspects the person by over 90%.So you cant trust it. The truth is, he's a liar". So even before inviting Light to task force, he was pretty certain Light was Kira. L played his cards perfectly throughout (could he really have done anything against Light making Higuchi Kira, combined with a loss in memory of the death note making his innocence untouchable? Innocent till proven guilty, even though killings stopped for 2 weeks from his arrest.)

Now im fairly certain Light matches L. His deductive reasoning is excellent, as we observe throughot the series.Lights quick response to testing situations by L is amazing, and L even comments on how Light has the ability to easily suceed him with equal might. His response to Misa's arrest has to be the most well thought out plans in the series. He see's through Near's plan and he would have won, had not Mello caused the Takeda incident and Mikami's "fuck-up" to do something out of character by going to the bank. His over confidence led to him to not sufficiently guide mikami to avoid gettinf caught. It is ultimately for this reason that I put him below L. Had Light been his usual cafeful self in preparing for all troubling scenarios (such as Mikami being put in a tough situation not knowing what to do when Takeda was in danger) this series could have ended differently.

Now with Near and Mello. Ive been writing a long post, and quite frankly im getting sleepy so ill briefly go over my thoughts. Near was extremely clever, but if he started the Kira case from scratch I highly doubt he would pull of such creative stunts as Lind L Tailor to lure our Kira. At the end of the day he just pieced together what L left behind, and was well aware he was against a notebook of death. His plan to beat Light was insufficient and would have lost had not Mello caused the takeda incident. This flaw in thinking inherintly shows his inferiority.

Now Mello. He was always seen as number 2 to near ( this fact revelaed hints to the reader hes not as smart). His plans to get a notebook was well thoight out but we rarely see him using deductive reasoning from events to figure out who Kira is.
May 28, 2016 4:39 AM
May 2016
i feel like Light and L and Near are all equally intelligent, maybe L is more intelligent than all. Mello is the least
Jun 9, 2016 7:57 PM

Dec 2015
L>Light/near>Mello

I think light and near are close to L's intelligence
Jun 17, 2016 5:13 AM

May 2016
Author said himself, L is smarter.
Jun 25, 2016 6:58 PM
Mar 2016
I say:
1) L Lawliett
2) Light Yagami (Kira)
3) Near (Nate River)
4) Mello (Mihael Keehl)

L knew Light was Kira all along, I believe. L and Light both figured out each other's plans throughout the story, and they are both very smart, except Light is a bit less and he screws up shit a lot.
Near is annoying. Also, he would not have been able to solve anything without Mello, as he said. But, yeah. :p
Jul 8, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2013
DGrimreaperD said:
Mello's intelligence is underrated. He thinks up theories quickly and, unlike other characters, isn't afraid to take action. He's probably still at the bottom, but I think it's pretty close.
1. Near
2. L
3. Light
4. Mello.

I agree intelligence wise but I also have to say that Near is pretty useless on his own because he might be intelligent af but he can't do anything. However I think he's displayed as more intelligent than L both in the Manga and in the Anime, mainly for the same reason that people call him a cheat. Also; nothing can stop Near and Mello together.
L comes after Near because he's still very smart and has proven it so many times but his intelligence is more human than Near's.
Then there's Light, as he's obviously less intelligent than both Near and L, seeing how many things were offered to him on a silver plate too, really, how many times has he said "The gods really are on my side" or has things happened way too conveniently, although it was mostly in the beginning and it's also what made him go over confident over the years. He also made a great deal of mistakes which luckily none of them went really wrong.
Then comes Mello ofc since he's so emotional, he could be compared to Light for this aspect but for the fact that Light can actually control his emotions, while L and Near never displayed any. While he's not any less intelligent, he's very impulsive and lets his feelings cloud his judgement, but at least he gets shit done. He might be the character who gets the most shits done although he only shows up later and dies before the end. EDIT: I'm actually wondering which is more intelligent between Mello and Light but i'll leave it this way for now.
So; Recap: Near>L>Light/Mello

And for the comment right before me if Near is very smart he's definitely smarter than Light.
KayaOscopeJul 8, 2016 7:50 AM
Jul 8, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2015
KayaOscope said:
DGrimreaperD said:
1. Near
2. L
3. Light
4. Mello.

I agree intelligence wise but I also have to say that Near is pretty useless on his own because he might be intelligent af but he can't do anything. However I think he's displayed as more intelligent than L both in the Manga and in the Anime, mainly for the same reason that people call him a cheat. Also; nothing can stop Near and Mello together.
L comes after Near because he's still very smart and has proven it so many times but his intelligence is more human than Near's.
Then there's Light, as he's obviously less intelligent than both Near and L, seeing how many things were offered to him on a silver plate too, really, how many times has he said "The gods really are on my side" or has things happened way too conveniently, although it was mostly in the beginning and it's also what made him go over confident over the years. He also made a great deal of mistakes which luckily none of them went really wrong.
Then comes Mello ofc since he's so emotional, he could be compared to Light for this aspect but for the fact that Light can actually control his emotions, while L and Near never displayed any. While he's not any less intelligent, he's very impulsive and lets his feelings cloud his judgement, but at least he gets shit done. He might be the character who gets the most shits done although he only shows up later and dies before the end. EDIT: I'm actually wondering which is more intelligent between Mello and Light but i'll leave it this way for now.

And for the comment right before me if Near is very smart he's definitely smarter than Light.

I'll agree with that. I've never found Light to be as intelligent as people think. If Mello had originally got the Notebook, he would've ruled the world!
Jul 12, 2016 2:42 AM

Dec 2013
DGrimreaperD said:
KayaOscope said:

I'll agree with that. I've never found Light to be as intelligent as people think. If Mello had originally got the Notebook, he would've ruled the world!

100 % agreed
Rewatching the last episodes only confirmed this
Jul 13, 2016 6:55 AM
Feb 2016
I don't really understand those who put near at the top. He just merely finished what L started. L is the best anyway.
Jul 13, 2016 12:02 PM
Jul 2016
felipekorbes said:
rohan18 said:
It'll be
Light > L > Near >Mello

Light was dealing with multiple enemies. His advance planning, deductive reasoning and ability to control and influence others was simply outrageous.

Totally agree with you, I can't understand when people say that Light "possesses a weapon almost unknown to man" then, that's all about that? And what about L that can afford to construct a huge building just for this investigation, can dispose of use of countless man and ultimate technology, can be invasive and install cameras in your entire room to stalk you, can chain up you with him with, can get to a point to KIDNAP and TORTURE you to tell the truth (and don't say he didn't do that because what he did with Misa when she abdicated the first time and the time he locked her and Light in that prison?).

While Light might have the advantage of the Death Note, he managed to keep doing his "work" while L was being so invasive in his life. Light get to a point where he put a shinigami in a dead end, he played with his feelings; and we are talking about a creature that's alive for countless years.

By the way, I'm really surprised to know that the creator said L is supposed to be the smartest.

I agree 100%. Light was the smartest.
Jul 15, 2016 12:24 PM

Sep 2013
In my opinion, L was the smarter one.

True that Light killed him and was pretty much against the world, but let's be honest, no one else in the world could've been a match for Light except L (at least in the show, anyway. Fuck off, Near)

The only reason Light was able to beat L (and why Light didn't lose in episode 15) was because of supernatural BS.
In the natural world, L had Light beat
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2016 11:24 AM
May 2015
RadiGen said:

L>Light>Near>Mello

Could you please tell me what Near did in the manga that wasnt in the anime? I m curious to know cause he is my favorite character in the show. Also, i think it is quite tricky to compare Light with Near cause of the circumstances, plus almost all of Light's tricks werent good enough to make him not raise suspicion in L's eyes. You cant figure out how good of a game Near would make compared to Light if he was Kira but my personal bet is that he would do better.

About the question, for anyone paying enough attention L was obviously smarter than Light, so then it comes to L vs Near. Near may not had displayed as much of genius feats as L but that doesnt necessarily make him less intelligent. It is most that the situation was pretty different and he caught Light by the balls without going through any psychological warfare of the scale of Light vs L. That and that the fact that the author couldnt come up with as sick tricks as he did in the first part of the series i guess, lol. He was pretty flawless though, and the only thing that settles him being inferior to L was that he said so himself. However, take into account how he was much younger. L could possibly not had been any smarter back when he was in his age.
TheBuddahmanJul 22, 2016 11:29 AM
Sep 14, 2016 10:04 AM
Sep 2016
light>L>near>mello
Sep 14, 2016 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Matsuda shits all of them

Well technically I think L>Light>Near>mello

L was handicapped without knowing those rules, I thought he did a great job in that regard. Although he shouldn't have handed over that notebook to Light tho in the helicopter but whatever, he would have caught hold of it anyway.

I think Near is quite intelligent, even tho everything was all set up for him.
Oct 11, 2016 3:38 AM

Apr 2013
As it was pointed out a few times already:
L > Light > Near > Mello
Oct 13, 2016 8:27 AM

Oct 2016
Light, and L for sure .....becuase light outsmarted L for friendship which is sad...
But near and mello are up there, just not as much as them
Oct 13, 2016 10:35 PM

Jun 2007
L > Light > Near > Mello

Near and Mello at the end since Near himself said that alone they couldn't surpass L or beat Kira, but together they could.

L over Light due to how fast and accurately he was able to narrow it down who Kira was.
Took less than 2 weeks to figure out the killings were caused by someone and narrow down the location.
Then a little more than a month afterwards to start suspecting Light (FBI agents dies and so he places cameras in the homes of 2 families).
A little after that he decides to take the same university entrance exam as Light.
Basically, less than 2 months to start investigating Light.
Another reason I rank him first is by all the amount of "supernatural" facts he found out about the death note.

Of course, this may be completely one sided since L is one of my ultimate favorite characters xD

ps. timeline link:
http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/Manga_Timeline
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 8, 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.