Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 6, 2008 1:15 PM

Jul 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fucking retarded ending, even more so than the series'

1/10
Aug 29, 2008 4:56 PM

Jan 2008
Hmm... I didn't actually hate the movie as much as some people did. Granted, it was worse than the anime series - but it wasn't that bad in my opinion. I would have liked to have seen more alchemy than was shown and of course - the ending was disappointing, but other than that - I found it to be okay... =\

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Dec 6, 2008 8:36 PM
Jul 2008
I loved the movie... it didn't have as much alchemy as some episodes in the series which was expected since the ''other world'' was included as a major part of it. The movie was created simply to end the series properly and set the stage for the second season. Taking that into consideration, I think the movie is not bad at all.
The graphics and art work are still as good to me if not better so thats another plus (we all know how irritating it is when art work changes between series and movie and some characters become hard to reognise).

It has gotten me more wrapped up in what happens next. The thought of how alchemy will come back into play and who will bring it back definitly excites me. Also, there are a few missing characters which I am sure will be brought back in the second season (dante and the life sewing alchemist). The raging war, how Alphonso and Edward are going to get involved in it, and the work their father had being doing in ''the other world'' is definitly going to play a major part in the second season. What happens to winry (she seems to have some affection for Ed), the conel (flame alchemist) and all the others(including the new characters) is also bound to be interesting.

Having said all this I am seriously looking forward to the next season which if I might say is already in production.
Apr 22, 2009 3:53 AM

Mar 2009
huh weird i actually loved the movie. i gave it a 10 and its one of my favourite movies
Jul 6, 2009 2:59 PM

Jul 2008
I didn't really care too much for this movie, but at least at the end Ed and Al are together and Al has his memories back. I rated this series higher than average because the fight scenes were pretty cool and the historical references fit in well. I did love the interactions between Ed, Al, the Colonel, and Winry near the end of the movie.

However, a lot of the movie was spent closing up plotholes from the series, and that didn't seem to fit in too well. The villain was also pretty lame. She wanted to destroy their world because she didn't understand it? Well, while hate can come from fear of the unknown, it seems weird for her to just come out and say it. That's a weak motivation.

I think the movie could have worked a lot better if major plotholes had been tied off in the series, so the movie could have a story with more developed original characters and more attention could have been given to the plot. Alfons H., Noa, Hughes, Fritz, etc. could have been better characterized, although Alfons and Fritz were handled pretty well given the limited time. Crazy things like Envy being a dragon and villain-lady gaining superpowers could have been deleted. Al and the people back in Amestris could have gotten more screentime. And the movie could have at least hinted at Ed and Al (as well as Noa and the other dopplegangers) surviving WWII. (I guess no matter how you look at it, having their world be paralleled with ours is sort of a downer ending. Teens in the 1920s wouldn't really be around today.)

Also, the random villain at the beginning was random. And personally, I like Al being taller than Ed.
KryptoncatJul 6, 2009 3:11 PM
Jul 14, 2009 11:23 PM

Jun 2008
Really well done in almost every way except the random villain and stupid ending. I've always thought that they should have just left our world out of it completely...it's so dull compared to the other one. I kind of see what they were trying to get at, but it's not fun. If they happened to make another series where they went back to their own world, it would be fine, but it looks like that's not happening. I REALLY hope the new FMA series doesn't involve our world at all. I will love it regardless of all faults if it doesn't.

Overall, ?/10, because I really don't know what to think. Stupid ending >_<
Jul 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Dec 2008
it was alright for me.
was nice seeing the alternative versions of the characters on the other side of the gate.
lol at scar and lust. though i don't get why scar is with her, shouldn't it be his brother instead?
Jul 24, 2009 7:15 AM

Jan 2009
c'mon, this movie was pretty good ~_^... so the ending wasn't exactly what i would have wanted to see but it was so damn cool seeing

definitely, one of the best anime movies i've ever seen :->

Jul 27, 2009 9:31 PM
Jul 2009
I'm actually very disappointed that Winry didnt also go to the Earth world, seeing as she would have thrived there and the obvious connection between her and Ed would be, well, fulfilled.
Sep 26, 2009 3:41 PM

Jul 2008
The movie is fine, but i wanted Al & Ed to stay in the alchemy world, not the real world. I think it fits more =) i gave an 8
Sep 30, 2009 5:37 AM

Aug 2009
It was good, but the ending was awful! Why can't they just go back to their own world god lol it annoys me.
and now ed and winry are split up, damn XD *EdXwinry fan*
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Oct 25, 2009 6:41 AM

Nov 2008
I gave high hopes on the movie but it turns out >.> o.O -_-"" and what's up with Noa ''so-called'' kissing Ed?? (sorry, Ed fangirl ^.^;) no offense on those think the different way as I do
Dec 20, 2009 8:38 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty Good Movie tho..
Strange ending, but oke with me :o.
9/10
Dec 21, 2009 10:49 PM

Apr 2008
kenichi-san said:
The movie is fine, but i wanted Al & Ed to stay in the alchemy world, not the real world. I think it fits more =) i gave an 8
lol they suited to be fullmetal alchemist in amestris than scientist in germany.
Dec 26, 2009 12:22 PM
Oct 2007
diamond9393anda said:
c'mon, this movie was pretty good ~_^... so the ending wasn't exactly what i would have wanted to see but it was so damn cool seeing

definitely, one of the best anime movies i've ever seen :->

you are rite
The movie was pretty good.. yea I loved it
I wonder if Al can have his memories only in the "other world"
Im only disappointed that they didn't show Armstrong's muscles.
Jan 1, 2010 10:14 PM
Sep 2009
I really enjoyed this movie, but the ending was so bittersweet...

The parallels drawn behind the plot of this movie was marvelous...absolutely marvelous.
Jan 6, 2010 9:59 AM

Nov 2009
Kotori said:

1/10
Agreed. 100%.
t-baby said:
The movie was created simply to end the series properly and set the stage for the second season
It has gotten me more wrapped up in what happens next. The thought of how alchemy will come back into play and who will bring it back definitly excites me. Also, there are a few missing characters which I am sure will be brought back in the second season (dante and the life sewing alchemist). The raging war, how Alphonso and Edward are going to get involved in it, and the work their father had being doing in ''the other world'' is definitly going to play a major part in the second season. What happens to winry (she seems to have some affection for Ed), the conel (flame alchemist) and all the others(including the new characters) is also bound to be interesting.

Having said all this I am seriously looking forward to the next season which if I might say is already in production.
The second series starts from the beginning, following the manga. Sorry to burst your bubble.
enkil said:
lol at scar and lust. though i don't get why scar is with her, shouldn't it be his brother instead?
It's explained in the series that Scar loved Lust, or rather, the girl that Lust was supposed to represent.
JustinAu said:
I'm actually very disappointed that Winry didnt also go to the Earth world, seeing as she would have thrived there and the obvious connection between her and Ed would be, well, fulfilled.
I could see that working, especially with Winry being the mechanical genius she is.
animegurlfreak said:
and what's up with Noa ''so-called'' kissing Ed??
When did this happen? I must have missed something, because I don't recall that ever happening.

Hated this movie. Pushed my rating of 7 for the series down to a 6.
Jan 16, 2010 11:00 AM

Dec 2007
Besides the random villain it's pretty good.I like the ending :/
lol at Scar and Lust xD
Feb 1, 2010 2:21 AM
Nov 2009
I don't know why I'm crying ^_^ Maybe it was bittersweet? It was great that they ended up together, and that Al got his memories back. That was perfect! :) But they should have been in their own world with everyone! :'(

Is there going to be another series? yes, it has been awhile since the last one, but there was quite a gap between the series and the movie, and Brotherhood only came out last year. Heres to hoping :)

Feb 5, 2010 4:01 PM
Feb 2010
IT WAS VERY MUCH A MESSED UP ENDING BUT IDC REALLY I STILL LIKE IT I STILL THOUGHT IT WAS QUITE GOOD REGARDLESS OF WHAT PPL BEING SAYING

Feb 13, 2010 6:58 PM

Apr 2009
JoshOfRJNN said:
Kotori said:

How can you justify that if they are two completely different pieces of material?

That's like saying you found the Godfather brilliant untill you saw 2 & 3, then you decided it weren't quite so good.
Mar 15, 2010 5:26 AM
Nov 2008
Piece of shit for me. Not even close to the series.
Mar 27, 2010 1:27 PM

Oct 2008
This is my favourite anime movie . . . Ever . . This movie has the rare distinction for making me cry for the first time in almost . . . . 5 to 6 years man . . Awesome . . . .
Mar 27, 2010 1:30 PM

Oct 2008
SpudUK said:
JoshOfRJNN said:
Kotori said:

How can you justify that if they are two completely different pieces of material?

That's like saying you found the Godfather brilliant untill you saw 2 & 3, then you decided it weren't quite so good.

kotori . . . I don't understand your logic either . . . I know that this is supposed to end the series for good , but i took this movie as an alternate ending . . So it did not effect my rating for the first series . . (by the way , i loved the movie)
Apr 17, 2010 7:32 AM
Mar 2010
JustinAu said:
May 27, 2010 10:41 AM

Mar 2010
This was a nice ending I think, like they finally got together and stuff, but really what pisses me off, is that they are livin in our world or I dunno ,
It just made me cry all of a sudden at the last scene, where everyone is happy in Risembool , and Winry had her desk or whatever with pictures of them . Like , they will never come back and she is still waiting or remembering them . That just brilliant .

I still wish they would end up in world, where alchemy excisted. ://
Btw, the villain was little bit stupid , so yea ...
ChillOutPartyMay 27, 2010 8:59 PM
My mom said im special . ~*
Jun 21, 2010 4:13 PM
Feb 2009
JustinAu said:

Thats what I thought . Different side of gate different women i guess :(.
Jun 27, 2010 3:34 AM

Jan 2009
What the hell was that?!
Ok, ok, I got it. Ed and Al are together now, they are fucking happy etc. But (as previous people noticed) has someone though abuot Winry?! Ok, they are happy to finally live together to the end of their lives but what about Winry?! Oh, come on! It's not the way that was supposed to be! Ed should have come back to "his" world, clearly notice that he is in love with Winry, they should get married, have a lot of blond-haired children and live happily ever after. But no! These stubborn and self-minded guys left her alone! How egoistic!
Ok, ok, I'm stopping.
So... the movie was good...
Hmmm.... Ok, it was a lie. It wasn't good. I was so fucking amazing that it almost dent me into the floor. After watching FMA I felt some want but end like that was all I needed (apart from that situation with Winry...).
To say something more I will mention the music. That "gypsy" rythms were really cool. They were cherful and made good atmosphere while watching.
But besides that the movie was so gorgeous I think that there was no need to make something like "reading in thoughts" - it made film seems a little bit more like a fairly-tale. They wanted so much "our world" to be full of logic and science and they did something like that... But ok, ok, I know, it was to help some people believe that there is some alternative world.
So, in sum, the film was amazing. I love it and it get 10/10. And, of course, I recommend it to every fun of FMA.
(Remember not to watch it before the FMA!)
Aug 11, 2010 7:40 AM

Feb 2010
STUPID ENDING!! THEY LEFT WINRY DAMNIT!!
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Aug 15, 2010 9:38 PM

Jun 2010
in my opinion it was a good movie cuz atleast ed n al got back together but it shows ed grew up alot in this movie and realized he is not all that matters.. in the end he didnt stay were he was but he realized more and also most anime now adays have to many happy happy endings its nice to see an anime movie that has meaning then having the character think only for themselves
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Sep 4, 2010 6:06 AM

Jun 2009
C'mon... what... teh... hell...?!

THIS IS TEH STUPIEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!

That's not an Ending... that's simply Bullshit.
Srsly...
A HELL OF IT!
I don't get it.
That like a german Speaking: "Konsequenz heißt, auch Holzwege zu Ende zu gehen!" (I don't know how to translate it into English, so... ._.')

For an Example, once again: Hohenheim. He's just there... and then... he dies twice. WHAT THE...?!
WHERE IS THE AWESOME DUDE FROM BROTHERHOOD GONE?! WHERE?!?

That's the stupiest Thing I've ever seen.

Maybe I felt like this because I love Brotherhood so much.
But I don't think so... - I think: Even if I wouldn't know Brotherhood, this Movie has to be some Kind of... Bullshit in my Eyes...

The 2003-Anime was already rly some kind of big great Bullshit. But I've never thought that the Movie have the Chances has to beat this.
It was so horrible, and the most of the Time I sit there and thought: "Okay, srsly: What the fuck?! What's going on? Where's the Point, the MEANING?!"
It's such a big Fiasko...

I've never ranked a Anime so down before, but here I will, and I'm like Hell care about what others think about it!

1/10
ScrewFictionSep 4, 2010 11:03 AM
Sep 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Oct 2009
wow.What a big post of nothing but cheap and empty insults...

Have you ever heard of the word, "argument" ?
Sep 5, 2010 5:13 PM

Jun 2009
AnoniMus said:
wow.What a big post of nothing but cheap and empty insults...

Have you ever heard of the word, "argument" ?

Oh, you want Arguments?
Fine.

First: PLOTHOLES!
Where did Wrath come from? Why does he knew all the Stuff about "Our World" and about what Alphonse have to do?
Where did Gluttony come from? What did he doing all the Time, and why does he looks so?

Sure, maybe there was a Explanation for this. But sorry, I don't get it. The most of the Time I was busy beeing angry about this "crap".
It feels like an unwanted Drugstrip.

A simple example: The Hole Germany/Munich-Stuff.
"Yay, they are in Germany~ wh00t!"
And what we've got?
Nazis!
Yosha~ that's right.
I mean... c'mon?! Nazis? Have the Germans nothing better to share then Nazis?
And GEEZ! Hughes was a Nazi too! I LOVED this Guy, and what have I got? A Nazi-Hughes.
And don't forget Fuhrer-President Bradley, who's becomes a Jew... haha...

And then the End... It was so... ARGH!
It's just my Opinion, but I DON'T like this Kind of Endings.

Yeah, sure: The Animations are great, and the Movie just for himself looks really good. And I'm rly like Aru in his "Edo-Cosplay".
But that's pretty all imo.

Sorry... Perhaps my reaction is excessive. But I'm just better Things used (just Look at "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" or also the FMA-Manga, and maybe you will know what I meant.)
Oct 7, 2010 11:32 PM

Jun 2009
It was a great movie but I agree the ending sucked!!!!

Nov 8, 2010 4:56 AM

Feb 2009
Good story, great conclusion to the TV series. The sequence with the Monster Gluttony was especially stunning. I agree the ending could've been a little better though.

The movie is better if you can catch all the historical references, I especially liked the Fuhrer of the Alchemist world (Pride) being Fritz Lang! That really caught me of guard! He was a great director both in Germany and Hollywood and I've seen most of his better movies (some of his earlier works are referenced like his Mabuse persona which was a character from Dr. Mabuse the Gambler and the dragon machine was from Siegfried) .
VeethornNov 8, 2010 5:04 AM
Dec 21, 2010 5:33 AM

Jul 2010
Hehe lots of haters here...

I think it was a good movie though the story should be something unexpected so dont get so mad iff you guessed wrong o.o ??? or wanted to have something else as ending :)
Jan 26, 2011 8:02 AM

May 2010
One of the best anime features ever.
Boo: "Boo!"
Jan 28, 2011 5:38 AM

Nov 2010
Loved it, since it actually provided a sense of closure. I can't say I like Winry getting so thoroughly screwed over, but otherwise the ending was perfect. I was afraid of them doing a super-happy ending where Ed returned to Shamballa, but I also wanted the brothers together.

I think that what they did was a great compromise, and fit nicely with the theme of equivalent exchange.

10/10 (which to me means it's in the top 10% of anime-stuff, not that it was perfect)
Feb 27, 2011 4:00 PM

Sep 2010
I didn't like the end I also wanted that Ed and Al would end up In there worlds and the vilian was really cliché in my opinion
but the movie was okay
Mar 20, 2011 6:05 PM

Jun 2009
Other than the writers completely pissing on Winry, which rubbed me the wrong way, this wasn't bad. I did find it strange for Gluttony to turn into the crazy monster he did, but I'll chock that up to what Dante did to him in the TV series. The villain and new characters were ridiculously generic and unnecessary. I'm also not a big fan of Hughes returning..he should stay dead. And,yes, I realize it was an alternate version of him.

Overall, though, the movie came off as fan service and I feel as though the plot could have been handled better. But, honestly, I do think it was better than most of the second half of the TV series. Anyway, I think this film is hated simply as a result of fanboy rage and isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

But, man they screwed over Winry. That's the only problem I have with the ending, really.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 20, 2011 7:01 PM

Mar 2011
Kotori said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

1/10

I agree, it made no sense why the Elrics would venture off to <b> Hitler's Time Period</b> where <i> corruption, hatred, and war existed</i> rather then staying in their now peaceful world since alchemy is more over used for good rather than bad;

as Rose stated when the portal from the other world opened in the sky when they were in Reolle (yes it's spelled Reolle I don't know why say thanks to FMA wik)i: <i>"Who would use alchemy after what happened"</i> I don't think I pin-pointed exactly what she said but it's the same idea.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU LEAVE WHERE YOUR FAMILY,FRIENDS,COMRADES, LIVE! If the Gypsy (I'm sorry, but I don't remember vaguely and poorly developed characters that get the spot-light on one episode) is who Edward came for (and obviously Alphonse followed cause he's a dumb ass who can't live on his own =w=) then why didn't he take her with him, sure it would be kind of stupid, but why couldn't he take her with him in the first place.

I understand the other Al's death is a pretty sad pinnacle moment in Edward's mind, but couldn't they hold off on that, I mean, way-the go making our hero become a dumb ass!

Overall, I didn't hate it, because it stuck to it's story and it did well in terms of the animation and all the FUNDAMENTALS of a show; but what about what we the fans want!

After watching this and reading a (Don't worry I didn't spoil this for myself by going to FMAwiki :3) quick summary of the main events of Brotherhood, I don't want to watch it.

If it's just a re-hash of an amazing show (brought down by a terrible ending movie) just it follows a slightly different story-line, then, what the hell was I waiting for so long!?

I want to at least see what those two nut balls are doing in Munich Germany, you threw 'em there what are you going to do now!

It's a long comment I apologize, but I just had to say something about it, I get picky with my animes :3
“Don’t ask for it; go out and win it on your own. Do that, and you will succeed.”
Mar 20, 2011 7:15 PM

Jun 2009
Sometimes pandering to the fans actually hurts a story. Sometimes you got to tell the story and hope your fans aren't dumb enough to go into a rage if something is different from what they want.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 20, 2011 7:19 PM
Nov 2010
You mean the manga (brotherhood) fans ? They started raging when filler stuff started to kick in before Shambala existed. But Bones doesn't really give a shit knowing that FMA2003 is in the top10 best selling anime. Shambala is just a way to milk the success of the series.
Mar 21, 2011 6:53 PM

Mar 2011
I wouldn't say I raged out, I actually liked the movie a lot, until the ending, that just killed it for me only because I knew nothing came after it. It's like an open end begging to be discussed. I would love to know what those two idiots are up to in Germany :) Since they made the decision to stay there.
“Don’t ask for it; go out and win it on your own. Do that, and you will succeed.”
Apr 4, 2011 5:59 PM
Apr 2009
JustinAu said:

This ^. It bothered me more than I thought it would lol. But like one mentioned, they really screwed Winry over, there was no reason for her NOT to go with them.

It was a good movie to me, I can see the plotholes but I forgot the first series TBH lmao, I only remembered bits thats why it wasn't that confusing to me. The animation was good, sound was alright, story was great but messy, and I loved seeing every char in a diff. dimension.
Apr 17, 2011 7:43 AM
Mar 2011
It's just. The real 'final episode'.
May 2, 2011 1:19 AM

Apr 2011
didnt like the ending but it at least was not as bad as the series end.... still much prefer brotherhood :P
Jun 9, 2011 5:16 PM
May 2011
A more satisfying ending than the series.

Does anyone else also get the feeling that this movie seemed more like a spin-off sequel than a conclusion?
Jun 12, 2011 7:31 PM
Apr 2011
weak plot to the whole movie.
the whole purpose for the crazy nazi woman destroying ed's world was stupid and poorly thought out.

and even their initial plans to go into the other world to muster up weapons....
what weapons?
lol

it was still alright though.
the brothers ended up together though not a completely happy ending.
it was the best way they could have ended it really given the trap they walked into.
Aug 23, 2011 6:02 AM

Aug 2011
I love the series and the movie ,but I hate the ending !!! The movie ending depressed me so much ! And there was another ending announced in the premium ova collection , and it was just - WHA??????!!!!
Hey now that Brotherhod has ended (and when they finish the new movie )
Is there hope for some kind of sequel ... wait , but sequels make animes bad
Ohhh I don't know what to think ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I just realised something really dark about this movie. (Spoilers)

Yoshistar123 - Jan 11, 2021

11 by APolygons2 »»
Mar 21, 7:26 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

5 by Mystogan14579 »»
May 19, 2021 6:25 PM

» FMA Movie: The Conqueror of Shambala

StabbyPWNS - Jun 23, 2008

20 by Tannerlaramore »»
Jan 6, 2018 4:49 AM

» Alchemy is possible in the other side of the gate, aka Earth.

SwiftKilla - Feb 11, 2014

0 by SwiftKilla »»
Feb 11, 2014 3:37 AM

» Fullmetal Alchemist Movie to Premiere on Toonami December 2013

YourAnimeGuy - Nov 15, 2013

0 by YourAnimeGuy »»
Nov 15, 2013 8:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.