Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2011 12:45 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh wow, what's with the animation?

Would've expected better quality from an OVA.
Jun 6, 2013 2:43 AM
Apr 2012
MagEarwhig said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Great Anime
Oct 24, 2018 12:18 PM

Jun 2013
So, the dog fucked her...

This show has Shurato's sound effects.
Dec 26, 2018 5:08 PM

Sep 2018
Very strange tale, has potential to be very good though.

MagEarwhig said:

I'm not sure why, 80s and 90s OVAs were usually very low budget affairs. Also, compared to other OVAs the animation was outstanding. Actually compared to anything the animation is pretty good, not sure what the problem is. And Why is it that people would complain about the animation in something like this, but the jerky animation in something like Bubblegum Crisis is fine. (By the way I really like Bubblegum Crisis, just using it to make a point.)
Dec 26, 2018 5:15 PM

Sep 2018
rodolfoemiliano said:

A lot of shows use stock sound effects, it's something that has been happening since the dawn of sound in films, look up the wilhelm scream for a famous example.
Dec 26, 2018 6:34 PM

Jun 2013
kandi_gloss said:
rodolfoemiliano said:

A lot of shows use stock sound effects, it's something that has been happening since the dawn of sound in films, look up the wilhelm scream for a famous example.

I mean, "very specific" sound effects. I didn't see THAT sound effects in others. For example I remember now, do you know Shurato's shakti car sound effect? Besides Shurato, I just saw this effect here. And I've seen a lot of animes from that time.
Dec 27, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2018
rodolfoemiliano said:
kandi_gloss said:

I mean, "very specific" sound effects. I didn't see THAT sound effects in others. For example I remember now, do you know Shurato's shakti car sound effect? Besides Shurato, I just saw this effect here. And I've seen a lot of animes from that time.

Huh, interesting, I'm actually not very familiar with Shurato so I didn't know.
Nov 27, 2019 5:48 PM

Nov 2017
MagEarwhig said:

Sorry to respond to something from 8 years ago.

I think you might actually have an issue with the art direction rather than with the animation. The animation in this is quite good...
Nov 2, 2023 3:48 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to garland23
MagEarwhig said:

Sorry to respond to something from 8 years ago.

I think you might actually have an issue with the art direction rather than with the animation. The animation in this is quite good...
@garland23 I'd say the art direction and animation are quite variable especially in faces.

Some faces seem like your typical 90s anime fair from Ghibli or Cowboy Bebop, some feel more naturalistic closer to a Satoshi Kon way of drawing and animating faces, and then sometimes the faces are totally rubbery saturday morning cartoon-like, almost overly animated, closer to Lupin the III but even more extra, maybe the Emperor's New Groove or Mulan is a better reference point.

In an era where we're used to a lot more consistency in style this does come across quite jarring in a show presenting itself so seriously, a historic, mythic, quite gruesome and bloody folk tale.

More topics from this board

» Amount of Episodes?

JohnIG - Nov 2, 2023

2 by Anime_God_King »»
Nov 3, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » The Hakkenden Episode 6 Discussion

striperrela - Oct 31, 2022

0 by striperrela »»
Oct 31, 2022 6:28 PM

Poll: » The Hakkenden Episode 3 Discussion

brianez - Jun 3, 2015

1 by striperrela »»
Oct 31, 2022 3:06 PM

Poll: » The Hakkenden Episode 2 Discussion

striperrela - Oct 31, 2022

0 by striperrela »»
Oct 31, 2022 7:03 AM

» The Hakkenden- Episode 10

Patty_chan - Jul 22, 2008

4 by St0rmblade »»
Jan 27, 2022 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.