Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 5, 2014 2:35 AM

Mar 2013
Damn... just wow. I honestly didn't expect that. No wonder Gundam fans like Kamille and Scirocco so much.

According to a die-hard Gundam fan I'm friends with, what happens in the end is that with his last breath, Scirocco uses his Newtype powers to destroy Kamille's mind. Hence his attitude and Fa's reaction. It's very sad but I honestly prefer this to a happy ending.

8/10 from me. The middle of the series was very slow and boring at times and like someone said before, a lot of parts just felt like random, pointless fights between AEUG and the Titans. Still, it's an awesome show.
Jan 11, 2014 2:14 AM

Aug 2012
I honestly enjoyed Zeta gundam more than any gundam i've watched thus far. I really love MSG 0079 but Zeta just blew me out of my mind with that ending.
Feb 1, 2014 1:44 PM

Sep 2008
Yay, Kamille uses super powers by channelling dead people to make Gundam go faster. Then he penetrates Scirocco's cockpit and then Scicorro makes Kamille insane with his super powers.

Nooo Emma died. :( She was coolest pilot in Z Gundam. Haman managed to get away without scratch so I guess we will see her in the ZZ. I am not against that since I liked her as a villian.

I didn't really like Z, it had too much pointless battles and annoying characters (Katz, Fa, Irma..). Also I don't really like how newtypes can warn each other from across battlefield just by knowing that something bad is going to happen. It is annoying to see them saved from otherwise certain death.
TsukajiFeb 1, 2014 1:50 PM
Feb 14, 2014 10:21 PM

Apr 2011
parfaited said:
What can I say other that I am highly disappointed in this series.
That was a depressing ending but just because it was depressing doesn't mean it's good, at least not for me.

Strangely enough the whole Zeta series has made me appreciate 0079 way more.
I much prefer the ending from 0079, in fact that one left me speechless.
Now I will have to rewatch the last episode again and rethink my stance on that one.

Anyway back to this, I was bummed that Emma died.
I truly believe she could have slapped Kamille back into sanity had she still been alive.

About Char...well there's nothing left to the imagination when there's a movie called later in the timeline called Char's Counterattack. How I wished I would have watched this series as it was airing. I wasn't even born until a year after this finished airing.

Yeah I'm going to preach to the choir here but too many irritating characters.
My enjoyment suffers when the large part of the cast is composed of such annoying people that made lots of episodes just plainly tedious.
I would have liked to see more of the people that were not annoying namely Haman and Char. Like Char is a fabulous man and the effort is just wasted when instead you're thinking that a series needs less whiny kids but more fabulous people.
BTW did we even learn why so many females wanted Scirocco's dick so badly? I was expecting him to tell Kamille that he could manipulate sexual urges and that is why he had all the ladies flocking to him.

I would like to see this and 0079 remade. I know there is/was a remake in the works (?). Old animation is a nice throwback and nostalgia factor no doubt, but I also like shiny and new things.

Here's hoping that Unicorn won't let me down as much as this did.

Wow someone who thinks exactly like me. 0079 is Masterpiece compared to Zeta. The ending didn't even affect me at all because I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, they were so dumb that dying is actually a great service for humanity (olol)
Mar 21, 2014 9:26 PM

May 2008
Scirocco had the best death, imo. Gets stabbed by a mobile suit and still manages to mind break Kamille. And honestly, I don't see how I'm supposed to feel sad that Kamille is mind broken. I found his new attitude the best he's been since episode 1.

I found MSG's ending better because it doesn't leave on a blank sad note, but a more hopeful one. I get the sense that the characters were a true team in the very end, that MSG accomplished something. That's what made the ending good. It's what makes you want to see more of the future, more of these characters. Nothing about Zeta's ending made me feel any of that.

Being a sequel, it's supposed to improve on the issues of its' predecessor. Yet it seems to make the same mistakes and makes them worse while creating new ones. That's pretty much the issue with Zeta. The plot is shallower than a kiddie plot and yet I felt it got lost in all the "conflict" due to mediocre writing. It's much too easy to get lost as to what is going on with the many plot threads the show tries to takes on. And many of those threads ended unsatisfactory. Most of the battles were so boring; there's not enough cool battles.

The characters are like what others have said: irritating. Since characters can make or break a show, it's unacceptable how many are so irritating.

EDIT: After seeing 08th Team, I'm downgrading Zeta to a 4/10. A 4 feels right for this show. Zeta would of been better if it had improved on what made MSG good and what sucked about MSG. And used the older characters better along with the new ones while making them likable. The seven years between MSG and Zeta sounded better than what Zeta actually delivered.
SakariiApr 7, 2014 6:13 PM
Mar 28, 2014 1:58 AM

Apr 2013
Valaskjalf said:
parfaited said:
That was a depressing ending but just because it was depressing doesn't mean it's good, at least not for me.

Now I will have to rewatch the last episode again and rethink my stance on that one.

I truly believe she could have slapped Kamille back into sanity had she still been alive.

About Char...well there's nothing left to the imagination when there's a movie called later in the timeline called Char's Counterattack. How I wished I would have watched this series as it was airing. I wasn't even born until a year after this finished airing.

My enjoyment suffers when the large part of the cast is composed of such annoying people that made lots of episodes just plainly tedious.
I would have liked to see more of the people that were not annoying namely Haman and Char. Like Char is a fabulous man and the effort is just wasted when instead you're thinking that a series needs less whiny kids but more fabulous people.
BTW did we even learn why so many females wanted Scirocco's dick so badly? I was expecting him to tell Kamille that he could manipulate sexual urges and that is why he had all the ladies flocking to him.

I would like to see this and 0079 remade. I know there is/was a remake in the works (?). Old animation is a nice throwback and nostalgia factor no doubt, but I also like shiny and new things.

Wow someone who thinks exactly like me. 0079 is Masterpiece compared to Zeta. The ending didn't even affect me at all because I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, they were so dumb that dying is actually a great service for humanity (olol)

Both of you guys rock. I don't understand why people talk about this series like it's the best thing ever. They always talk about how realistic the characters are and whatnot, but I can't imagine any actual people behaving the way most of these characters do.

I absolutely hate how characters just randomly fall in love with each other for no reason, like Parfaited said in regards to Scirocco. He was a chick magnet because the plot required him to be, but few things about this show bother me more than Reccoa's betrayal. She had a mission and ideals, but all of a sudden she sees a hot guy and then randomly betrays everyone she cares about. Scirocco's apparently so unbelievably hot that women take one look at him and decide it's okay to throw away absolutely everything they've ever worked for. It'd be different if she was the only character that didn't make any sense at all, but most of them are that way. They just do things because the plot calls for them to do things, even if it goes against what we know about them. This show might as well have been called, "Mobile Suit Gundam: Lobotomy Patients in Space."
Apr 3, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2013
So many of the comments here are spot, i wish i could quote them all to sum of my views.

Zeta has its moments but is greatly flawed. Too much suspension of disbelief is required. Many characters act in a completely unbelievable manner. Drama is forced for the sake of drama, with little sense behind it. It's also Impossible to marathon and feels like a drag to finally get to the end.

It took me nearly a year to finish this after going on hold multiple times for months. I finally buckled down and went through the 2nd half in a day, and though there were some great parts and it evoked emotion if you can willingly suspend disbelief, i still desperately just wanted to be done with it.

The ending was fitting i guess, with almost everyone dying, and Kamille going insane due to a COMBINATION of Pimptimus's dying unexplained Newtype Curse Mind Break, and the stress and weight of all the tragedies Kamille experienced up until that point.

I want to see Char's resolution since he is my fav character from the original gundams, but ZZ is the prequel to Char's Counterattack, and I can't muster the strength to trudge through 47 grueling episodes anytime soon. Not helping matters is ZZ's horrible rating of under 7, over a full point behind MSG and Zeta, which is worrisome since the originals were greatly flawed as is... I can't even imagine the mess ZZ will be.

Still that being said for its time the show had some great strength's, so a 7/10 seems fair.
SlickDApr 8, 2014 9:47 PM
Apr 4, 2014 11:52 AM

Sep 2013
The funny thing is that I actually posted a same kind of rage comment here just like a month ago when I watched this, but then had to remove it because the magic of Gundam (?) hit me and I felt the urgent need to rise Zeta's score up to 9 from 6/10. Don't ask me why, but it was a slow burn in the real sense of the word for me.

I'm already feeling like rewatching it, honestly. Only the OP makes me all nostalgic lol.

First I want to see at least every other UC Gundam though. Then I probably watch the 0079 movies and rewatch Zeta, because the Zeta movies were apparently horrible.
cupcApr 4, 2014 11:57 AM
Apr 8, 2014 6:25 PM

Sep 2011
I though it was a strong albeit depressing ending, the fate that awaited kammille was something way more heartbreaking to witness than his death. I am very satisfied with the series as a whole and am giving it a high 8/10. Some pacing issues and un-charismatic villains prevent it from getting a 9 from me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 7, 2014 9:10 AM

Aug 2010
The last few episodes were great. The finale was pretty depressing. I wish they showed more of Char and Hamans past relations.

I want to watch Char's counterattack but it's a sequel to ZZ. Might just skip ZZ since it gets so much hate.

Overall I give Zeta an 8/10
Jun 1, 2014 5:03 PM

Apr 2011
SlickDragon said:

I want to see Char's resolution since he is my fav character from the original gundams, but ZZ is the prequel to Char's Counterattack, and I can't muster the strength to trudge through 47 grueling episodes anytime soon. Not helping matters is ZZ's horrible rating of under 7, over a full point behind MSG and Zeta, which is worrisome since the originals were greatly flawed as is... I can't even imagine the mess ZZ will be.

I actually deleted my ZZ folder after finishing Zeta, no way I'm going through something worse than Zeta. I wonder if we can skip ZZ and watch all the other sequels after it.
Jun 1, 2014 8:25 PM

Mar 2013
Valaskjalf said:

I actually deleted my ZZ folder after finishing Zeta, no way I'm going through something worse than Zeta. I wonder if we can skip ZZ and watch all the other sequels after it.

I don't blame you, not even a little. I was told by some defenders of Gundam that you can continue on without watching ZZ. They advocated that ZZ was supposedly good, contrary to the abysmal ratings. I'm still skeptical of that to say the least. However one day I may watch ZZ and continue on with Gundam.

I would advise most people who are completing the original Gundams at this point to switch over to the True Elite space/military anime and give it a well deserved try, namely the Unparalleled Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Logh). Besides being the Best Anime Ever according to most knowledgeable long time anime fans, it has the highest ratio of favorites to completed ratio on MAL, at 3,300 Favorites out of 11,000 Completed, or over 30%. This is ofcourse Unprecedented and noteworthy. Being ranked 8th on the site is a point to consider as well, although in truth that is a bit insulting to it.

Valask i see you have already completed Logh, as well as nearly all other staples, so I don't think it would be a terrible idea to give ZZ a try if you have time.

I know that you aren't overly fond of Logh based on your ratings (actually one of the only members I've seen over the years who isn't a fervent supporter), but I won't say a word against you since you are a Fellow True Dragon Ball Z Fan. Until i discovered Logh i also proudly held the Dragon Ball banner, and while It will always remain my favorite, especially with Nostalgia mixed into the equation, I can no longer hold Logh back from its rightful place at the top.
SlickDJun 1, 2014 8:36 PM
Jun 1, 2014 8:28 PM

Sep 2011
SlickDragon said:
Valaskjalf said:

I don't blame you, not even a little. I was told by some defenders of Gundam that you can continue on without watching ZZ. They advocated that ZZ was supposedly good, contrary to the abysmal ratings. I'm still skeptical of that to say the least.
ZZ had problems but once you make it past around the 20 episode mark it gets surprisingly good, like the events that happen in the 30's are seriously some of my favorite events out of the major tomino works. Its really worth watching simply because it makes the already masterpiece level gundam unicorn even better

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 1, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2013
Hmm I'll take note of your support of it, the list keeps growing. I do like completing series in their entirety, so I in truth hadn't given up hope on Gundam yet. I randomly listened to the top selling Gundam Unicorn Track recently and it was solid, and I have heard people raving about Unicorn, so perhaps I'll hasten to reach that series by going through ZZ and company first.

Ah i see you have finally joined the LOGH universe Jizzy, welcome aboard. Looking forward to your input in in the episode discussion threads.
Jun 1, 2014 11:03 PM

May 2008
SlickDragon said:
Valaskjalf said:

I don't blame you, not even a little. I was told by some defenders of Gundam that you can continue on without watching ZZ. They advocated that ZZ was supposedly good, contrary to the abysmal ratings. I'm still skeptical of that to say the least.

I'm only at episode 28, but I find ZZ more tolerable than Zeta with a few characters that you can actually somewhat give a crap about. It wouldn't say it's good, yet, but it doesn't make you not want to watch it like Zeta does. But, if you don't want to waste time watching ZZ, over on its' thread there have comments you can skip it. You probably won't miss much that you can't simply wiki later.
Jun 4, 2014 1:48 AM
Jan 2013
What a crazy ending this was. I doubt Char is dead, Scirocco apparently mind fucked Kamille, the Z gundam power up was a complete ass pull just like in last episode, complete bs, the ppl in earth are just completely forgotten and we dont know in what situation is the world currently in. For these last few episodes I share the same thought...They were rushed. Too many characters who were given some importance were still alive with 2-3 episodes left in the show, they whole premise wasnt well finished so they just had to die. I feel like the ppl who made the anime had a reunion in like episode 47 and decided to just end this and try to make it somewhat memorable. sigh... smh.

As for the whole show, the best way to describe it was: It had its moments. 50 episodes and we at least continued the story of the original gundam, we can watch the sequels, there was some realism and characterization as in the past gundam, and we just had a few moments to enjoy. Thats it, as someone who is marathoning all the gundams thats how I look at it positively.

For the negatives, I'll start with the characters. From the newly introduced the only ones who I considered good characters were Kamille and Jerid. Everyone else was bad or meh. There was too many drama and bad romance.There were too many characters that werent properly dealt with. They were introduced, they played part in multiple episodes trying to give weight or substance to the show, but in the end there wasnt enough time to deal with them. For example: Jerid, Tazan, Reccoa, Scirocco, The titan lieutenant with the red glasses, Sayla, Henken, Kai, etc. Concerning this one of the things that pissed me off the most is how there was a bunch of episodes where we had to deal with characters like Jerid and Tazan and the titans, and they always got away somehow, and we even see potential as a antagonist in Jerid since he wants to reach the top no matter what. As the show went on, we only saw Jerid and Tazan a few times because we had to deal with other villains, and at the end, they are gathered together conveniently and were dealt with quick and easy, like they had no importance, all those episodes in the past wasted.

Like I said, the series had its moments and there is a sequel but you are just left with the feeling like there was so much potential wasted. Sorry for the ramble, 6/10
Jun 10, 2014 8:25 PM

Nov 2012
Valaskjalf said:
SlickDragon said:

A lot of people who didn't like Zeta liked ZZ so you may have missed something.
Jun 10, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2013
Nope said:
A lot of people who didn't like Zeta liked ZZ so you may have missed something.

You may have a valid point. I have been counseled by other Gundam fans that ZZ may not be as bad as it seems. I'll give your words extra weight since your a fellow LOGH fan. However your rating for ZZ of 6 relative to Zeta's 10 is somewhat worrisome.
Jul 10, 2014 12:44 AM

Jul 2009
Wow what an ending!!

Lots of emotions going through me, so i'll make this probably one of my longest one for sure.

First off wow they killed Emma!! I can't believe this!!! Seriously i actually thought she was gonna survive, but nope T___T

Though it is her fault since why the hell did she get out of Gundam Mk. II after killing Reccoa. Did she want to confirm her dead or something??

Such a sad way to end her life, It's even more sad when see her body engulf by the laser canon T__T

Damn Haman and Paptimus ganging up Char in a 2 vs 1 battle. Even though he is the "Red Comet" it's definitely hard to beat these two, especially with just Hyaku Shiki.

I love the battle at the theater. It's a reflection of their goals is. Haman wants to convince Char to join her side and revive the Zabi family, Paptimus wants to control the space and eventually Earth. Char wants to pass down the torch to the new generation, because he knows them old folks aren't gonna last long.

Good thing Fa and Kamille came on time to help Char!!

I was really scared when Kamille, Fa and Char haven't gotten out of the Laser Canon.

Char is dead!?!?! T___T

Well to be honest not really. Because aside from the name of the movie(Char's Counterattack duh!) Kamille and others didn't sense him dying, since any important people would have sensed Char's death in an instant. So i do believe he survive the blast, just as he survives the blast when he blasted Kycilia's head and body into pieces in the ending of 079.

Damn Kamille vs Paptimus!!! Such an intense battle!!! And lol every woman out there came to Kamille's aid!! Though it doesn't make any sense how Reccoa came to Kamille's side in the last minute and Sarah still defends this bastard even in death??? Seriously wake the fuck up will ya?? Shame Katz had to appear one last time, should have stayed dead you idiot brat.

Kamille really rammed Zeta to Paptimus's body, literally!!!

Damn bastard probably cast some spell to make Kamille memories erase or disappear. Bastard didn't give up until the end.

Poor Fa. It looks like in the aftermath Kamille would probably bed ridden or something. Just as feared by those two children.

Kamille you better retrieve back your memories in ZZ!! T___T

And yes, i do agree that Zeta isn't that hype up as many people(especially crazy UC fanatics) claim to be.

I would probably agree in the first half(until Episode 30)

After that, everything became a mess. Why did they introduce a lot of characters and didn't explain them?

Seriously, we have two Four like characters(Four, Rosamia) who not only didn't explain their backstory(Four's memories, Is Rosamia really Kamille's sister?), Other characters being killed off easily(Bask, Jamitov etc).

Battles ending too shortly or anticlimatic(Jerid), characters get's reintroduce in one episode after a long time, but get's killed in the next episode(Four)

Crazy girls(Reccoa) following some asshole for some reason(Paptimus)

Not to mention contradicting their own behavior in the next episodes or so.

Annoying stupid brat thinking he can pilot a Gundam and get's killed the best way possible(fuck you Katz)

Too many hijacking of Mobile Suit. It seems Argama is probably the easiest battleship to hijack.

With all that said. It's still one of my top 5 Gundam's ever!! Probably the only series who is not afraid to kill their main and support characters out of the bloom. Even if it's on a whim, you gotta to agree they've got balls to do it.

Been a long journey indeed!! I was actually hoping to take a break since i just finished both Gundam 079 and Zeta Gundam in just two weeks.

But with the ending being a cliff hangar as hell, i guess need to start ZZ tomorrow for sure. I just can't let it end it like this!!

Zeta Gundam is amazing!! I would place Zeta Gundam as my top 2. Gundam Wing is STILL my favorite in the series. Though They could learn a thing or two with Zeta's way of handling deaths(just give more screen time, explanations and fight scenes next time!)

I give this a 9/10. I probably would have given this a 10/10 if it weren't for the issues above.

Now on to ZZ Gundam!!! Even though i read the series is much more light hearted in the first few episodes. Some said it goes back to the Zeta Gundam dark style.

I just hope the deaths are just as plenty as Zeta, but giving more explanation as well as proper battles okay??

This song will forever stuck in my heart for sure!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNYPryOqyGo
Jul 25, 2014 8:20 PM

Jul 2013
What a frantic final two episodes, kill em all Tomino delivers.

I'm actually surprised how much people are hating on this or rather praising MSG so much comparatively. I found the first twenty episodes of Zeta pretty compelling as a sequel. Once Kamille returned to space it really felt like it was spinning its wheels until Haman/Zeon showed up and even then they felt criminally underused as Haman specifically was both intriguing and effective in her role but barely appeared. It was a good, but flawed ride despite the unlikeable characters and somewhat directionless plot towards the end.

But comparatively? Kamille is way better than Amuro it's not even a contest. Not to mention Zeta Amuro was much better too, but that's whatever. While Zeta lacks a compelling villain, Char in the original was beyond inconsistent in his motives even if he was cool as fuck. The stuff after Garma was pretty repetitive until Jaburo (though I liked Ramba Ral) whereas this was slightly better flowing as a complete series. And the only real difference I can see in likeability of the Zeta crew vs. the MSG crew is the former gets way more chances to get on your nerves. Though when it comes to the kids, the originals were actually kind of cute and not annoying unlike here where they were beyond obnoxious. They both have their merits, but I think people are being way too harsh on Zeta due to expectations.

I'd probably give this a 7.5 with a slight edge over the original. Disappointing after the praise and great first half, but still a worthwhile watch.
Aug 11, 2014 10:15 PM
Apr 2012
Not much too add- Just finished it. The plot was way too chaotic and jumped around too much for me to call it good. It just kind of 'was'

There were wayyyy too many new suits in this show. Like every 2 episode you got a completely new mobile suit/mobile armor.

I wish I was given a reason why the Zeta Gundam could use ghost power-the Bio Sensor system? It seems more plausible that the speed and power was amplified by Kamille's emotional state, and the ghosts were all hallucinations created by his soon-to-be-broken mind.

Anyway, on to Double Zed!
Dec 7, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2010
There were som frustrating times watching this gundam with a lot of annoying characters doing stupid thing and for that I give it 8/10 but the last few eps are easily 10/10 material, killing off characters left and right and not even a happy ending like MSG had.
Feb 1, 2015 6:30 PM

Jul 2014
damn, what a way to end it. I'm glad they killed off the incompetent characters but the way Kamille ended up was cruel. Although it's understandable , newtypes always seem to get fucked up in the end after over exerting themselves.
Apr 20, 2015 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
All of a sudden the zeta gundam runs on dead ladies. What a joke. I'm glad I'm done with this.
May 5, 2015 10:38 PM

Sep 2014
Bit better than MSG. It has some problems, mainly with pacing, but I am willing to forgive them all because it's just so old. Somewhere between a 7 and 8 for me
Jun 6, 2015 8:33 PM

Mar 2012
I originally commented about a week ago but I ended up thinking back and reflecting on Zeta alot more and I have to say, I think i was more basing my opinion off of how anime is today rather than back then, while Zeta had moments of being boring and a bit repetitive there's just something about it all that just screamed that this was an awesome watch. I think it's good to stand back after finishing something and digest it all before criticizing something, and after thinking about it I think this might be my 2nd favorite Gundam series I've watched thus far. The UC timeline really is a masterpiece when you connect all the series together as one....minus ZZ :) With that said, I think I can give this a very solid 9/10 now.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 10, 2015 12:46 PM

Nov 2013
Amazing ending, but Zeta still disappointed me. Mostly because I was expecting it to be "Tomino's masterpiece", something worth a 9 or a 10. It is a good anime, but it doesn't deserve all the hype it gets. I enjoyed watching Gundam 0079 more. 7.5/10
JGChavesFeb 12, 2016 11:10 AM
Jun 10, 2015 1:33 PM

Jun 2013
JGChaves said:
Amazing ending, but Zeta still disappointed me. Mostly because I was expecting it to be "Tomino's masterpiece". It is a good anime, but it doesn't deserve the hype it gets. I enjoyed watching Gundam 0079 more. 7/10

I mean, if you didn't think this was Tomino's masterpiece then you probably just don't care for Tomino's work all that much to be honest.
Jun 10, 2015 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
ex_necross said:
JGChaves said:
Amazing ending, but Zeta still disappointed me. Mostly because I was expecting it to be "Tomino's masterpiece", something worth a 9 or a 10. It is a good anime, but it doesn't deserve the hype it gets. I enjoyed watching Gundam 0079 more. 7.5/10

I mean, if you didn't think this was Tomino's masterpiece then you probably just don't care for Tomino's work all that much to be honest.

I really don't care about him that much, still need to watch his other Gundam. I was just trying to say Zeta doesn't live up to it's hype. In hindsight I probably should have said "the best Gundam" or something like that.

Anyway, I thought Gundam 0079 was better, so no matter how good or bad his other Gundam are, I'm not going to agree that Zeta is his best work.
JGChavesFeb 12, 2016 11:16 AM
Nov 17, 2015 3:03 PM

Nov 2012
Having watched this right after the original MSG,it made me realize how much more I like the original better (so much so that I'm bump it up to an 8/10).
stAtic91 said:
I was quite disappointed with this anime, especially after hearing how amazing it's supposed to be.
It was too slow for me and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't really like any of the characters or the plot, and felt like most episodes were just random, uninteresting fights between the A.E.U.G and Titans.
^This.

If there was one thing I did love about this ending though,it had to be Kamille's fate.It was so tragic yet so fitting,had been waiting for him to lose it throughout the whole series.

6.5/10.
Dec 16, 2015 10:07 PM

Jan 2014
Valaskjalf said:
parfaited said:

You guys summed it up perfectly; I don't feel like I have anything else to add to that.

I felt terrible for Kamille, but I was still dissatisfied with the ending and highly disappointed with the series overall. You know there's something wrong when most of the main characters' deaths put a smile on your face.

PS: even without the existence of Char's Counterattack, I think the damaged yet still more or less existing torso of the Hyaku Shiki drifting in space was a huge hint at Char still being alive (and stuck inside the cockpit).
SapewlothDec 16, 2015 10:10 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Dec 18, 2015 1:54 PM

Feb 2015
had some pacing issues but quit good overall.
Feb 28, 2016 9:17 AM

Jul 2013
Decent ending tbh, not amazing though, well the Titans is finished, now the fight will be between the Zeon and the new Earth government(whichever it will be)

Overall this series is 6/10
Apr 1, 2016 6:57 PM
Nov 2015
Great final episode that felt like a punch in the gut. As sad as Kamille getting broken was, it was honestly one of the only times in the entire series he appeared happy. Kind of like an asshole who gets Alzheimer's and suddenly an innocent little child.

Overall I liked the series a lot and the ending really added an oomph that was needed. Think I enjoyed 079 and Turn A a little more overall as I felt there wasn't as much filler, but right now I'm giving this an 8/10 but I could see raising it later.

Plan to watch ZZ when it's out on bluray.
May 10, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
Beautiful finale. I loved a few scenes like the theater one.

The actions scenes were sometimes very good, I liked the fight between Haaman, Char and Paptimus.

5/5

The series wasn't at all what I expected. The focus shift from the world, the politics and the war mechanics (0079) to a personal experience of a conflict. This was interesting in its own right. They managed to give us several characters different enough to see how each of them lived the terrible events who occured. But...
The biggest problem of this series is its length. It is horribly long and it felt at times laborious to go through (I say that and I was raised with 60+ eps anime and love full 26eps ones). I love a lot of mecha shows but was never into robot battles, here it takes 50% of each episode with almost no exception. Many of those skirmishes feel strongly artificial and bring nothing. A 26eps format would have work a lot better because even outside the battles, the series had to repeat over and over the same things (lots of the main characters had antics to deliver each episode) to be able to reach its full year length.
The fact it is a civil war makes it different enough from the OYW, but the antagonists leaders,their goals/visions, are mostly lame. Paptimus had a good concept for example but they didn't really made a lot out of him, he seems pretty weak compared to any Zabi (except maybe Garma). Haaman is probably the only good "bad guy" and I was saad for Mineva's situation. There were in a few occasions up to four camps with almost none supporting an ideology.

The thematic, the exposition of the war horrors, and Camille's progression, his struggle and failure to apply his own way to the conflict he falled in were very good. And they maintained a very light 0079 feeling with the political plots. On that plan, it was a successfull "migration" sequel (like Aliens for Alien).
But this great story was poorly build. It would benefit from a manga retelling like Yasuhiko did for the original series. I don't have high hopes because this artist does mainly manga about politic and history.

??/10
I scored 7 for this series when I want to rate it 9 and 4. Because this strange thing was terribly inconsistent.
7/10
Rei_IIIMay 24, 2018 12:05 PM
Jul 8, 2016 1:07 AM

May 2016
Well, it took me a while, but I finally finished this series. I found it to be less involving and much less smart than I thought it would be, with major writing blunders pretty much preventing me from being completely immersed until the very end.

That being said, there was one thing that was clearly better thought-out than the rest of the series, and it worked beautifully. I am, obviously, talking about Kamille's arc, the story of a kind of crazy but well intentioned tragic hero who tries to be the reasonable person in a completely unreasonable situation and is punished accordingly. In a way, he reminds me of Nello, another beloved anime character that was simply too decent to succeed. Like Nello, he repeatedly tries to do the right thing, even though the only reward he ever gets is more suffering. In Kamille's life, one calamity follows another until he is finally struck by one tragedy too many and goes insane. It is sad, it is poignant, and it works better as a condemnation of war than most anti-war works. I especially liked the fact that they didn't try to manipulate the audience's feelings: there was no dwelling on what happened, and neither exposition in order to make sense of a senseless situation nor people crying. Haman escapes, Mineva continues to be a puppet queen (despite the fact that Haman clearly cares for her), pretty much the entire cast dies, Fa is horrified, cut to black.

Kamille ended up being a well-written, likable character whose downfall saved the series from being a generic "mission of the week" series that happens to end on the bleakest possible note. Kamille wasn't the only interesting thing about this series. Among the others are the futuristic clothing design, which helped me stay at least partially immersed even during the worst parts, and Katz - a child that was sent to war despite being clearly incapable of surviving in one. He escapes many close calls - until he doesn't. Kikka and Letz have lost a brother, and Fraw and Hayato will have to live with the fact that they are responsible for their adopted son's death.

@Rei366 Because it ended on such a high note, with all of the last few episodes being either very good or great, Zeta wasn't the failure I feared it would become with ten or so episodes to go. That being said, it is noticeably weaker than its predecessor (which had a clear goal during its entire run and managed to stay both insane and exciting until the very end, even if it didn't end as well as it could have) and miles behind of other works from the late 70's/early 80's that are considered classics. There is just no way to compare this with stuff such as Nausicaa, Aim for The Ace or Akage no Anne with a straight face.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Jul 8, 2016 1:38 AM

Dec 2015
@Lease_of_Life Very interesting to read you after so many dumb reactions to Katz's behavior and survival rate or to the other victims Camille wanted to help. I didn't find them "annoying" either since it was relevant. Katz's fate notably is clearly obvious: the further you see, the more his tragic fate seems unavoidable. (that and the way Hayato mistakes his son for himself).

Maybe I didn't understand you right, but if I did, it's nice to meet someone who can recognize the great aspects of Zeta's story without raising the all series above the original one. I t's hard to believe this was the series who made the Gundam phenomenon after 0079 failure because it is far less engaging on a longer duration. (I had to force my way in after The Origin made me long for more at each tome's conclusionand that couldn't possibly be only due to the fact I was "raised" to love 0079)

I realize I still have to end the third movie of the alternate retelling now. I couldn't forced me through this after the series. Will you watch them? Not that you need to earn the anime success "went through Zeta Gundam".

Any plan to go on further along this universe? I must say up until where I stand now (0093), only 0079 and 0080 (OAVs) have been great experiences. After that, it always lies on good or excellent ideas drown in a series whose destined length wasn't taken in account by the makers.

edit: you should write a review, it would be more useful than the (postive or negative) rants and other opinions about this anime.
Rei_IIIJul 8, 2016 2:16 AM
Jul 8, 2016 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
I finished the show the other day and I thought it was very good. Marathoned it over 5 days and there were parts that felt dragged out. The rash actions of the characters, especially in the first part of the show really pissed me off. I hadn't really heard anything about this series before starting out and I haven't seen too many mecha shows but I probably say this show deserves a decent amount of hype for it's harsh depiction of war as well as decently hard si-fi. I must say the whole transforming suit thing did piss me off as that is obviously a toy gimmick but the actual designs of the mobile suits are pretty cool. I haven't gotten around to later gundams yet but I definitely think the suits become way too elaborate and over designed.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 9, 2016 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
I came right into Zeta after watching 0079. Zeta overall was okay but sometimes I was lost and had problems following what was happening. It was shocking to see Kamille have a complete mental break down and the amount of people that died in the last episodes. I agree that the series is a bit overhyped how this is supposed to be the 'best' Gundam series, I honestly like 0079 and its ending more. Many questions are still unanswered and it does not have a clean ending touch like 0079. Having said that, I will give it a 7/10 and will go on with ZZ Gundam.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Nov 5, 2016 3:38 PM

May 2016
bjorno said:
I came right into Zeta after watching 0079. Zeta overall was okay but sometimes I was lost and had problems following what was happening. It was shocking to see Kamille have a complete mental break down and the amount of people that died in the last episodes. I agree that the series is a bit overhyped how this is supposed to be the 'best' Gundam series, I honestly like 0079 and its ending more. Many questions are still unanswered and it does not have a clean ending touch like 0079. Having said that, I will give it a 7/10 and will go on with ZZ Gundam.

1) Most good endings are not "clean".
2) Zeta's ending was clean. Very clean. They answered every question and explained every plot element.
3) I gave Zeta a 6 out of 10, but the ending is probably the thing I like the most about this series.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Dec 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Jun 2013
Goddamn, that was depressing!
Seeing Kamiile at the end like that legit gave me chills!
It definitely had a few bumps and subpar episodes! But i can definitely see why many regard this as the best in the entire Gundam series
10/10 Easily!
Dec 10, 2016 2:29 PM
Dec 2008
Zeta gundam be like: lol we still got 15 named characters left, better kill them all off in the last 3 episodes
Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM
Apr 2016
Seabury said:
Wow, they pulled out a pretty rare card here. I've only seen a "main character goes insane" ending a few times, but every time, it gives me the fucking goosebumps. It's way more unsettling to me than a final death, because at least that has some sense of closure to it. This was beautifully poetic too, with the themes of the cyber-newtypes reflected in Kamille's fate, and great foreshadowing when he opened his helmet a few episodes ago.

Of course, I can guess why everyone hates zz now. I'm willing to bet they turn Kamille into a comedic character, pretty much ruining the end of this show. Ah well, now on to zz to see for myself if it's as bad as they say...

"It's way more unsettling to me than a final death, because at least that has some sense of closure to it. This was beautifully poetic too, with the themes of the cyber-newtypes reflected in Kamille's fate, and great foreshadowing when he opened his helmet a few episodes ago."

This is a good point. Even though he killed Jerid, he didn't seem relieved or anything. Emma and Katz's death must have done him in, along with Roccoa and Captain H.

Monad said:
stAtic91 said:
Everyone dying for the win.

I was quite disappointed with this anime, especially after hearing how amazing it's supposed to be.
It was too slow for me and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't really like any of the characters or the plot, and felt like most episodes were just random, uninteresting fights between the A.E.U.G and Titans.

This!!

Seriously this show doesn't even come close to the first series.
I don't really care about the ending but the new characters where not good enough with many of them being obnoxious most of the time (and imagine i didn't even like the characters of the first series but suddenly they seemed golden in-frond of this guys), the newtype psycho bullshit reached new levels of stupidity in this one and the worst was the randomness. Fights seemed to unfold out of nowhere making you think you missed something on the previews episode or you skipped an episode. The story wasn't progressive at all. It just jumped from one event to the other just like that and the most stupid thing is that despite the whole jumping around and throwing fights, the show still seemed many times to be boring and slow.

I also want to say that Z Gundam has an ugly face and that the opponents this time were completely uninspired. Only that Scirocco guy looked to have some potential but it was never realized. The war it self was just a messy nothing. When fighting with Zeon you knew what it was all about. Now they kind of seem to be fighting just because they had to made another season.

There were definitely a lot of episodes where if you didn't watch the last few seconds of every episodes (the next episode previews/transitions), you would find yourself confused. I found myself confused because I skipped them and just went to the next episode, even though I knew they included a lot of new information/cutscenes.

Overall, a pretty good series. A lot of action. I was surprised to see Char get so much screentime, whereas Amuro is left on earth. I watched Gundam Unicorn RE96 and I gotta say, I liked it better. Zeta was pretty good though. I discussed on Reddit Roccoa's motivations and the fans over there clarified a lot.

The first 25 or so episodes of Zeta were the best imo. The middle section was good, and the ending arcs were... idk, they could have moved in a more decisive direction.
Jan 10, 2017 12:45 PM

Dec 2015
@Allen750 I started to skip the episode previews after a few episodes, when it was clear that they were always announcing most major events. What kind of new information or scenes were they including?

edit @Allen750 : Oh, I see. Then I didn't miss anything. Indeed, the brief "recaps" at the beginning featured on several occasions informations not depicted in the episodes or "explaining" things like "then they went to..." or "Camille, realizing that ..., decided to..." etc (the second type being often useful to make more sense of what had been seen in the previous episode). I noticed a few post-credits scenes, but not so much: most of the time, the footage featured after the ending was a "spoilery" next-episode-preview.

Anyway, at least it made you ready to endure all those "WHAT?!" you might think watching ZZ. (and to all the unssaid things in the saga's theatrical finale).

About Char and Amuro, I think that both of them ended up getting the time they needed to build them up. Amuro simply needed far less than Char, having received a pretty good treatment in 0079.

@RafaelDeJongh Unless you want to watch a TV show hosted by Char, skip the first episode of ZZ. It even throws at you scenes from the 2nd épisode (the real first épisode)

@mshea1213 I can't. I personally disliked the shift from war drama with enough background politics and a touch of soap-opera (0079 or Origin manga) to this big soap-opera with a civil war background and quasi-inexistant politics (I was always angry to see that we didn't get anything about the forces etc for episodes).And the prevalence of the soap element was sadly the winning recipe: after that, no Gundam went back to a more 0079-like formula. Even SEED who "modernized" the original came with this ramped up to higher levels.
In the end, the best aspect was that the hero matured a bit but never gave up his will no matter how many times hekept failing. Up to lose itself when winning the war.

@ezaya Maybe because it tried several interesting things (with some bad attempts, of course, and the whole problem of basic story construction). Maybe because it was the most popular one (although the 0079 series/movies have probably touched a more general/larger audience in their days). Maybe because Char is a good guy and the mentor in this one? (feel free to propose your own ideas ;) )
I put a relatively high score because I decided to value its merits above all its problems but I personally disliked th ebig change of focus between this series and its predecessor (but it was a bold move, so it is sort of a quality)

December 23, 2018
HibiChika said:
did kamille actually go blind lol? way to cripple amuro v2 for life...

No, he couldn't stand to fail no matter how much he tried to the point he started to lose his mind during this battle (as seen with the helmet). And then Sirocco put the final hit to his mental health through some ESP attack, reducing him to a vegetable. You'll see next episode (ZZ ep2, since ep1 is a summary+quizz+preview)
Did you really see Camille as a 2nd Amuro? (I thought he was quite different and his own type of character)

August 9, 2019
@zoristtot It's so conforting to read those words after I read things about how unengaging the original White Base crew including Amuro were.
The difference between this mess of a "story" and 0079 is probably that the first Gundam was more of a team work while the sequel was way more controlled by Tomino himself.

September 17, 2019
@blessofcurse Katz was a "trash" as an actual person (and "trash" persons exist) but as a character was used very well by the series, especially in the way the creator chose to terminate him (through his end and his survival before, the "lesson" was greatly portrayed). Reccoa's character would have been better perceived if Tomino wasn't as clumsy to depict certain things.

October 13, 2019
@DazeFire So, what's the best part of the UC saga? 0079 or 0096?
Have a good time with ZZ, yes it's not good but at least some interesting ideas were thrown in it and some episodes were genuinely good (not a great achievement, I admit).
Rei_IIIOct 11, 2019 4:02 AM
Jan 10, 2017 2:49 PM
Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@Allen750 I started to skip the episode previews after a few episodes, when it was clear that they were always announcing most major events. What kind of new information or scenes were they including?

I couldn't tell you, I skipped them too. Let's see, they were a 30-second intro-recap, and a 30-second transition/preview clip at the end, so that's about 1 minute per episode X 50, so about 50 solid minutes of wtf-just happened.

Gundam 00 did the same thing, like a 1-2 minutes of extra scenes after the credits... totaling 50-60 minutes of missed all-new material.

Whoops. Oh well. There's more anime than I can watch in a lifetime, welp.
Mar 2, 2017 3:09 PM

May 2012
Really epic ending if you ask me! This sure was intense as hell, really do wonder what the next season in this franchise will have to offer, but for this season it sure was a hell of a ride!

While it started quite slow, and rather boring, after episode 15 it sure got a lot better all of the sudden!

In general a great watch of this quite classic Gundam series!

@Rei366

Thanks for the info, however I never skip episodes ;)
RafaelDeJonghMar 3, 2017 5:08 AM
Apr 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Dec 2007
What a ride. Splendid ending.
Jul 31, 2017 1:45 AM
Oct 2011
BOY GODDAMN DAT ENDING THO
Aug 31, 2017 6:09 PM

Jul 2016
So ends this 50 episode journy. The show started off so damn good and at first my expectations were exceeded. Then the show started to go in the direction of personal relationships and that's basically was the main part of the show.. and yikes.

The characters were petulant brats and it's bad that I enjoyed the majority of the protagonists getting offed more than the antagonists.

I'm surprised how well loved this show is; I just did not see it. Mobile Suit Gundam was far more superior to Zeta.

I feel bad because the majority of my posts were mostly negative throughout the show. A lot of the posters on here really gave some thought on what was going on with the show.. while I complained.. but can you blame me?

Anyway, I give the show 6 out of 10. Now onto ZZ Gundam.. watch me like this emphmis show more :).
Nov 4, 2017 9:07 AM

Nov 2011
Tomino's flock has not yet been arrested, but in the end somebody has escaped to it or almost.
Anime series interesting, I never bored during her vision.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 6, 2008

92 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 37 Discussion

Beatnik - Jul 4, 2008

41 by p13gu »»
Mar 26, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 9, 2008

73 by Dane-se »»
Feb 7, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 47 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 20, 2009

44 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 27 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - May 27, 2009

38 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 21, 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.