Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2008 11:34 PM
Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wow, just wow. amazing episode. great animation, great music, great story. loved it. I hope the last 3 episodes will be just as good as this one.
Jul 5, 2008 2:31 AM

Jan 2008
Can this show get any better? :P Great drama and music. Where the hell is soundtrack..it should've been released with Kaiba vol.1 in late June. 5/5

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jul 5, 2008 3:19 AM

Jun 2008
I agree great episode. But i had a lot of problems remembering all the plot advances made in the previous episode. Thus i was anxious the whole time wanting to know what was going on.
Finally Kaiba (his real name) appeared again and didn't have to say many words to express all what hes gone through in his travels.
I have some problems remembering why it is that Popo wants to own the world.. something to do with his sister... I thought in the last episode he ended up being a good guy.. Well in this kind of series there is no good and evil...But, like I said, what for is he doing all this things?
And whats up with the freak brothers.. what is their background. For what i know, the sister with the coat is a sex fetishist or something like that. °_°
Anyhow, cant wait for the next episode!!!
Kirameite, yurameite, aoki yumi, maihanatsu, hana mo-e yu-kuuu!!!
Jul 5, 2008 5:46 AM

Apr 2008
excellent episode, though from watching this I suspect that in the last few episodes Kaiba is probalby going to go through "Trippy Finale Syndrome"...it'll be intresting if it does!
Jul 5, 2008 8:07 AM

Dec 2007
Awesome episode mainly on Neiro, This anime is really fantastic, the start was already nice, but from episode to episode it's better :)
Jul 5, 2008 8:18 AM

Feb 2008
OMG, this episode was simply brilliant! I'm at a loss for words that can really describe the epicness of this episode (and the series overall).
Btw, must get hands on Kaiba soundtrack asap! =P
Jul 5, 2008 9:20 AM

Apr 2007
I am still amazed that the average score of this series overall on MAL has not even exceeded an 8 yet.

This was probably, the best episode so far. Neiro is totally awesome. And Kaiba isn't dead, that's obvious.

Agreed about the OST, i reaaaaallly want it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2008 11:41 AM
Jun 2008
As always, Kaiba delivered once again. I was really into it when Neiro, Kaiba and Popo were all together during the battle. Although, I have to admit that it was a shame what happened to Cheki. Wasn't she Kaiba and Neiro's childhood friend? She was the only one that was rational, before Neiro and Popo went to confront Kaiba. Now she's brainwashed or something. I loved the ending of the episode. I hope they go into the past of Kaiba and Neiro in the next episode.
Jul 5, 2008 1:56 PM
Dec 2007
Fantastic plot and characterization for a truly wonderful show. I'm impressed, and depending on the end of the series, it could get a late 10 after the last episode ;p

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 5, 2008 3:08 PM
Apr 2008
This show never stops keeping me interested.
Jul 5, 2008 3:18 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Beautiful episode!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 5, 2008 5:09 PM

Oct 2007
From episode 1 till now ep 9 this anime this anime keeps changing of how I used to thought of what this anime supposed to be and it never failed to impress me every episode I go through it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 5, 2008 6:38 PM
Apr 2008
Siing said:
I am still amazed that the average score of this series overall on MAL has not even exceeded an 8 yet.

I don't typically give a rating until the show is completed. But if Kaiba continues like it has, it should easily be one of my highest rated shows.
Jul 5, 2008 8:01 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, this was probably my favourite episode yet! This series is definitely one of the best out there!
Jul 5, 2008 8:28 PM

Feb 2008
Great episode - I'm glad I don't do drugs or this series would completely blow my mind. Each episode just keeps getting better and better.
Jul 5, 2008 8:50 PM

Jul 2007
Spectacular episode, and I can't get enough of the BG music, it really helps make each scene even more amazing.
Jul 6, 2008 6:08 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Do we have to remind people that single word replies are spam? At least say something more than one word about the episode if you bother to post. I deleted some posts.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 6, 2008 5:39 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, really fantastic episode. This series just keeps getting better and better, it's an amazing series.

Jul 8, 2008 11:38 AM

Aug 2007
Breathtaking, man I enjoyed the memory bit with the covered faces.
Jul 8, 2008 2:27 PM
Jul 2008
Fantastic. Another great episode ripe for the taking. Hoping to find epi.10 soon.
I do have to agree with Trojun though.
And remember kids, Don't Do Drugs.
Jul 8, 2008 4:46 PM

May 2008
At the moment when it comes to talking about the best anime of 2008 there's Kaiba and then there's everything else. Spectacular episode in every aspect that once again shows that Madhouse and Masaaki Yuasa are at the forefront of creating excellent anime nowadays.
Jul 9, 2008 12:10 AM

May 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
At the moment when it comes to talking about the best anime of 2008 there's Kaiba and then there's everything else.
Agreed, this is easily the best show of the season, by far. This episode was amazing. Hyo Hyo turned out to be Neiro after all. Awesome character and plot development, looking forward to see how this ends.
Jul 9, 2008 9:29 AM

May 2008
Absolutely_Steve said:
There's Kaiba and then there's everything else.

No better way to describe this.Every single episode has been absolutely wonderful in it's own right.Not much else to say, Madhouse is really something, can't wait for the OST!
Jul 10, 2008 11:29 PM

Feb 2007
And now, even Yoshi has caught up to the rest of you guys, and I'm not going to fall behind again. This anime is just too good.

Definitely the best episode of the series so far. Things are finally starting to make sense, and the next episode will probably answer some more questions about Neiro's past, so hopefully that will give us some needed answers.

I almost feel as if it's a crime if we don't get the OST sometime within the next few weeks.
Jul 16, 2008 5:04 PM

Feb 2008
aaa this anime is awesome.....pure madness. it is alwasy refreshing to watch a well made work like this.
Jul 22, 2008 11:51 AM
Jun 2007
cyruz said:
Do we have to remind people that single word replies are spam? At least say something more than one word about the episode if you bother to post. I deleted some posts.

Oh? And Two words isn't?

cyruz said:
Beautiful episode!

Jul 22, 2008 12:52 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That's better than saying something like:

Nice.

And I was more or less only talking about people who always post like that in the episode discussions.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 22, 2008 3:45 PM

May 2008
Mod Edit: Very funny. Stop being an ass and get back to the discussion that's supposed to happen here if you go by the topic title.
cyruzJul 22, 2008 4:03 PM
Jul 29, 2008 12:46 PM

Jan 2008
The unique, creative, melancholic, thought-provoking, and emotional content that made everyone pay attention to this series in the beginning has now completely given away to a type of storytelling that we see everywhere we look; that's full of exposition and generic character interactions and plot. It's soiled this anime. No way I can give it a 10 now.

Popo is a lame villain and the brainwashing of Neiro is tiresome. I'm not against heavy plot driving the show, this show especially which has lots of potential for interesting avenues to go down, but if the plot is not interesting or creative then dont bother. At all.

I know personally how hard it is to write the last half of a story, it's the bane of every writer out there, but damn man, why do so many produced stories, which go through so much pre-production and have ample time for redrafts, always end up like this? I recently finished Kemonozume which started strong and went off the rails spectacularly, and now Kaiba is looking more and more like any other mainstream anime churned out by Anime-Land, and who would have thought anyone would say that after watching the first few episodes of this series?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 29, 2008 4:48 PM

Feb 2007
Cihan said:
The unique, creative, melancholic, thought-provoking, and emotional content that made everyone pay attention to this series in the beginning has now completely given away to a type of storytelling that we see everywhere we look; that's full of exposition and generic character interactions and plot. It's soiled this anime. No way I can give it a 10 now.

Popo is a lame villain and the brainwashing of Neiro is tiresome. I'm not against heavy plot driving the show, this show especially which has lots of potential for interesting avenues to go down, but if the plot is not interesting or creative then dont bother. At all.

I know personally how hard it is to write the last half of a story, it's the bane of every writer out there, but damn man, why do so many produced stories, which go through so much pre-production and have ample time for redrafts, always end up like this? I recently finished Kemonozume which started strong and went off the rails spectacularly, and now Kaiba is looking more and more like any other mainstream anime churned out by Anime-Land, and who would have thought anyone would say that after watching the first few episodes of this series?

I've been reading through your posts (from the Ep 1 thread all the way to this thread), and I knew that you wouldn't like how things are turning out. Didn't have a chance to warn you. You breezed through Ep 4-9 so quickly.
Jul 30, 2008 12:56 PM

Jan 2008
BlueYoshi said:
I've been reading through your posts (from the Ep 1 thread all the way to this thread), and I knew that you wouldn't like how things are turning out. Didn't have a chance to warn you. You breezed through Ep 4-9 so quickly.

Lol. Whats it like seeing someone's enthusiasm slowly seep away? :D

I liked the beginning of the series because it wasnt like most other anime, we were all like "woah", and just thrust into something exotic and compelling. Those 'stand alone' episodes with sad resolutions were really good storytelling. Now though, its just something ordinary, the plot developments and character interactions are all predictable, and I'm sad about that.

I seem to be the only one who currently feels this way though, not that there's anything wrong about that, but oh well!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 2, 2008 6:23 AM

Feb 2007
Cihan said:
BlueYoshi said:

I liked the beginning of the series because it wasnt like most other anime, we were all like "woah", and just thrust into something exotic and compelling. Those 'stand alone' episodes with sad resolutions were really good storytelling. Now though, its just something ordinary, the plot developments and character interactions are all predictable, and I'm sad about that.

Not surprising. It's happened before with another friend when he watched through Higurashi Kai. Kinda depressing that was. When ironically the end of Kai was the opposite of depressing.

Perhaps most of us here are still rather confused with the plot and its setting that they are just sitting back and 'enjoying' (this was mentioned in the Ep 8 thread) the show and not trying to pinpoint the flaws. Eh, I don't know. This is one of my sleepy Yoshi replies. I don't feel like watching Episode 10 in this state.
Aug 3, 2008 12:23 PM

Jan 2008
This whole series is great. The art style is like anime on an acid trip.

Coming into this episode I was looking forward to seeing what happened to (the real) warp/kaiba, and at the same time feeling bad for vanilla. Sadly, the ostrich with the space helmet didn't make an appearance in this one. I'm thinking episode 10 will probably clear most of this up.

As far as episode 9 goes, I watched it last night and while i can't exactly remember everything, it seemed like more emphasis was put into putting the pieces together than the previous episodes. The only thing that bugged me was every time Popo mentioned Neiro's parents she suddenly forgot everything up to that point.. like the fact that the same thing had happened 2 minutes ago in a similar context with the same result (rage).

Even so, it was still a great episode. I look forward to the last few episodes.

Aug 7, 2008 7:59 PM

Apr 2007
I love this.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Sep 2, 2008 3:23 AM

Sep 2007
Everything (somewhat) makes since now. That's all that matters to me. XD I don't feel like I'm lost in an abstract painting anymore.

Dec 14, 2009 10:17 PM

Aug 2009
I still don't understand why Popo want Neiro kill Varp and didn't kill him by himself. Then there is no use in changing her memory.
Jan 20, 2010 11:51 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
BlueYoshi said:

I seem to be the only one who currently feels this way though, not that there's anything wrong about that, but oh well!

I feel the same way actually. This anime had so much potential, it could have been another Kino's Journey. Hell it couldve surpassed Kino as well... :S
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 21, 2010 9:26 AM

Nov 2008
Well, well, Popo isn't like we thought he was, apparently he is really manipulating everyone. Wonder why he changed Nero's memories and what happened exactly.
I like the main plot, revelations are really well used, the whole thing with the amnesia bring out a big puzzle. And it become more and more captivating.
I also liked the episodic stories, but it's time to get back to the main story.
Mar 7, 2010 10:28 PM
Feb 2008
Beatnik said:
BlueYoshi said:

It's funny. I usually see people complaining about the reverse. For instance one of the main complaints I see or hear about Bebop was that there wasn't a giant sequential plot and most episodes were standalone. I have no problem with either as long as the story being told is interesting.

I think Kaiba's previous episodes were indeed great but at the same time they laid out clues and introduced concepts that were pretty out there back in episode 1. So while some may say this is a complete 180 in direction with the last 1/4 of the show focusing on Kaiba, Warp and Neiro, it's just capitalizing on the lay of the land that was stretched out via the various characters and situations.

We learned how memories work in this world and how people can switch bodies and about Warp and his tyranny and the Kaiba plant. We got flashback stuff with Gel and Neiro (which I'm still not sure about. Gel was one of the bodies that mind messed up Neiro used right? And now she switched back into her original body? Can't remember)

In a way I can see that going away from exploring different aspects of the world may suck to some cause they dug it so much, I know I did. But considering how the first episode started what would be the point if we never went back to that? If say the first episode wasn't as ambiguous and crazy and was about Kaiba simply meeting people under less hazardous conditions then yeah I could see the whole show just about learning from different people and Kaiba trying to find out how to live his life. But in my mind and I'm sure others they were probably wondering who the hell Popo was? What was with that bird? Why is their a terrorist movement? Why was that guy so interested in Kaiba's body? What the hell does that symbol even mean?

All questions that were for the most part put on hold to look at the world and let us understand the rules. I've never watched Kino's Journey by my understanding from the synopsis and premise is that it's about someone taking a journey and meeting other cultures. so by default the show doesn't have to worry about answering questions that the viewer is sure to ask once he watches the show (unlike Kaiba).
Mar 8, 2010 12:59 AM

Sep 2008
Thats not his point. If you read some of his comments later (and I agree with him 100%) its not the fact that there's some plot in it that ruins everything; its just that the plot is ridiculously redundant, cliched and predictable. If the plot was actually good then that would have been great. But if they cant get a good plot going then its better to stick with the episodic format.

And about the questions that were raised in the beginning, I think they couldve still handled all that without all the mindless crap they throw at us at the end of the series. They could have come up with a different explanation, and still keep the episodic format intact, just like the whole vincent thing in Bebop. I'm not saying they should have done this. Just that you're wrong that they needed this particular plot to explain the loose ends. There could have been other alternatives.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 17, 2010 10:28 PM
Feb 2008
koreye said:
Thats not his point. If you read some of his comments later (and I agree with him 100%) its not the fact that there's some plot in it that ruins everything; its just that the plot is ridiculously redundant, cliched and predictable. If the plot was actually good then that would have been great. But if they cant get a good plot going then its better to stick with the episodic format.

And about the questions that were raised in the beginning, I think they couldve still handled all that without all the mindless crap they throw at us at the end of the series. They could have come up with a different explanation, and still keep the episodic format intact, just like the whole vincent thing in Bebop. I'm not saying they should have done this. Just that you're wrong that they needed this particular plot to explain the loose ends. There could have been other alternatives.

I never said the story needed this exact plot just that it needed to answer the questions that it brought up in episode 1. Whether you like the story or think is cliched is your personal opinion. Whatever. But writing a story dropping the viewer/reader in the middle of something with tons of concepts thrown around and never going back and dealing with them will just lead to unsatisfied people.
Mar 18, 2010 10:22 AM

Sep 2008
thatguy said:
koreye said:

I never said the story needed this exact plot just that it needed to answer the questions that it brought up in episode 1. Whether you like the story or think is cliched is your personal opinion. Whatever. But writing a story dropping the viewer/reader in the middle of something with tons of concepts thrown around and never going back and dealing with them will just lead to unsatisfied people.

I never said anything about dropping the story. Like I said, there could have been other plot alternatives, not just in the last half but even before the 'story' began
May 1, 2010 3:37 PM

Mar 2008
Wow...breathtaking indeed...ended up watching episode after episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2010 4:21 PM

Jan 2010
holly jesus and heavens O.O

this was...perfect...i just can't belive what happened

this is like death note lol...but why does popo toy around with them?:(

5/5 although i wish i could give it more
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 11, 2011 10:17 AM

May 2010
I have kinda mixed feelings about this ep.

First is that I'm glad the confusion it accumulated from the start of the series till the last ep are mostly cleared up.

Second, the brainwashing/manipulating thing seems cliched and predictable to me but how it all began definitely grabbed my attention.

Also, DAT OST!!!
Aug 4, 2012 9:20 AM

Sep 2008
A good episode, but honestly? The story seems rushed now and it's getting easier to guess. 4/5
Apr 7, 2013 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
Honestly though I think it's kind of sad when people can't even enjoy a plot like the one in Kaiba just because a part of it is 'cliche' or has been done before. Guess what guys, nearly everything has been done before. It's all about the delivery and execution, and to me Kaiba was handled masterfully.
LayedBackApr 7, 2013 2:58 PM
Apr 20, 2013 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
5/5
One of the best episodes I've seen in a while.
May 31, 2013 1:29 PM

May 2012
Amazing character development, really liking it so far!
Sep 30, 2014 10:50 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow when Neiro started crying and she didn't know why and wanted it to stop, that was a really sad moment ;_; Popo manipulating everyone and causing pain everywhere.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

0 by Sagepool »»
Apr 13, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Netforce - Aug 7, 2008

153 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 10 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Jul 31, 2008

43 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 8 Discussion

cyruz - Jun 22, 2008

48 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 2:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.