38.6%
Yes, but not for thousands of years
30.0%
No, set him free in at least in 20- years
11.4%
I don't care
20.0%
70 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 4, 2008 1:16 PM

Oct 2007
Maybe if he behaves well enough, he might be able to leave a thousand years earlier.
Jul 4, 2008 1:29 PM

May 2008
I think that being sentenaced for thousands of years sounds ridiculous but if it is like Iri says and just that they have to address every crime individually then it makes sense. I don't agree with killing him or letting him out early just because otherwise he'd have to rot in jail for the rest of his life. Out of those three options i think the one which is most of a punishment is rotting in jail. So let him rot! Unless like DarkPrinny said it's like the UK. In which case i completely back the idea of him being subject to hour upon hour of big brother!!
Jul 4, 2008 3:26 PM

Apr 2007
I forgot to mention this earlier, but there is one more reason the multiple life sentences are probably a very smart legal move. First of all, Texas law provides for the death penalty only in capital offenses (extremely heinous murders with special circumstances) anyway, so the death penalty was never on the table in this case. Even if it was, however, it would not have been smart to seek it at this time.

For those outside the USA, you might not know that our Supreme Court ruled on a variety of cases last week. One of them was Kennedy v Louisiana, in which the court found executions for child rape was cruel and unusual punishment, and therefore took that option away from many states that still had reserved it. By this time, the trial was already underway and the prosecution would have needed to ask for a penalty. If you get the death penalty, you only get one (no multiple death penalties like life sentences), which makes it risky because even if one technicality from any of the charges is later found false, he gets a new trial (or at least a new sentencing phase.) The Supreme Court decision would have thrown his case into limbo, had he been given the death penalty. Likewise, if you have a jury that will convict, it's better to just go ahead and let them address all 40 charges now rather than say, "try him on one and give him a life sentence, and if we ever need it, we've got 39 others to try him on." These trials are major drains on money and time, so it's best to go ahead and let them sentence him to 40 lifetimes and be done with it. Even if 39 technicalities show up later which throw out almost all of the charges, he's still not getting out.
Jul 4, 2008 10:17 PM

Aug 2007
Not that I don't think he shouldn't be punished, but that is just the stupidest sentence, if not, one of them. There's no point in executing him since him dying isn't gonna do anything. But sentencing him for over 4 thousand years is just ridiculous. He's not gonna live that long and even if we gain the technology to some how preserve him for that long, no one's gonna do that to a guy like him. Just a waste of money. By the time he reaches his 70's or whatever, he's bound to regret his actions. He's a middle-aged man; he's not gonna get any younger. I think the fact that he was sentenced for a span well beyond his life is nerve-racking enough for him.
Besides, there's probably a whole lot more worse crimes than what this guy did.

Well, whatever, not that I really care about him. We can certainly deal with less people like him. Release him when he's senile, there won't be much of his life left by then or counsel him and make him realize and regret if people really want to take the time to even do that.
Jul 5, 2008 2:26 AM

May 2007
Josef Fritzl was worse...
Jul 5, 2008 4:25 AM

Dec 2007
Ryder said:
Josef Fritzl was worse...

And in a different country. You can't compare those two.
Jul 5, 2008 4:34 AM

May 2008
Wow...I didn't know that someone could be sentenced to such a long time in jail O.O thousands of years...
credits to uebo14 @ livejournal for my avi //
Jul 7, 2008 5:35 AM

Jun 2008
I think he deserves a bit more than a life in prison. I always thought that instead of wasting money and room on inmates, they should put them to good use. lol. Prisoners fight to the death.
Jul 7, 2008 7:20 AM

Apr 2008
Only 4060 years? He deserved 4080, surely!

These sort of sentences are ridiculous and makes the law look like a laughing stock. All the Judge had to do is say "the rest of your life in prison". Alright, maybe some sort of life-extending drug could be invented within the next few years, but you just can't take a sentence like that seriously (unless you're the one being sentenced, obviously).
Jul 26, 2008 10:21 AM

Jun 2008
It's good that he's being punished, but I LOL'd at 4000 years. He's not even going to survive a tenth of the sentence.
Jul 26, 2008 10:24 AM
Aug 2007
_ETERNAL said:
It's good that he's being punished, but I LOL'd at 4000 years. He's not even going to survive a tenth of the sentence.

Not to mention he's a sexual deviant. Inmates will prolly shank him before that ever happens.
Jul 26, 2008 11:07 AM

Jun 2007
As much as I detest these crimes, I am against the death penalty for reasons I will not go into here as it would take all day...so I think a life in prison is what this guy should get.

I have noticed some people talking about the role of prison...As someone who has studied a little law, I'll tell you what I know. There are six (from what I learned) main principles of sentencing. They are retribution, denunciation, incapacitation, deterrent, rehabilitation and reparation.

Now in retribution, this is where you hear the old saying 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. In short, the punishment needs to be proportionate to the crime. Now, this phrase is quite often used to support capital punishment, but I won't go into that (not now anyway). There is often an element of revenge in retribution. Examples include mostly imprisonment and in some countries, capital punishment.

Denunciation, quite simply, means that the punishment should reflect how much society detests the behaviour of the criminal. Easy example, a life sentence for murder compared to a five year (variable) sentence for robbery.

Incapacitation is basically protecting society from the behaviour of the criminal by detaining them or restricting their actions. Examples of this include imprisonment, placement in a secure mental health unit and electronic tagging.

Deterrence is split into two types: general and individual. General deterrence means that sentencing for criminal acts should also have the aim of making the general public think twice about committing the offence. Individual deterrance quite simply means trying to make the actual criminal think twice before reoffending. Deterrence is usually the most criticised of the aims of sentencing, mostly due to rates of reoffending. there are other reasons which would take a while to go into, but I have no problem doing so if anyone wants to talk about it. I suppose that any form of punishment is technically a deterrence.

Rehabilitation means attempting to reform the prisoner and giving them the ability to reintergrate into society. As someone has mentioned earlier, this does not mean brainwashing anyone. This is mainly due to the ethical argument that true reformation comes from free will. Rehabilitation relies largely on remorse. It is also often used more for younger or first time offenders. Examples of rehabilitation include therapy, education in prison and even literal rehabilitation (in cases where criminal have largely been motivated by addiction).

Reparation means that the criminal should repay those he has wronged in some way. This can be monetary (compensation), or in the case of robbers, thieves, etc, the return of stolen goods. Community sentences are also a way of making the criminal repay society.

In this case, the man in question will not reform. That is almost certain. This would pretty much limit the influence of rehabilitation on his sentence. Reparation is also unlikely to be much of a factor, unless he is rich and can give money to the families affected. Again, it would be unlikely to actually repay what he has done.

The sentence would be a deterrent and a denunciation, although the effectiveness of this in both cases is largely down to personal opinion. This leaves retribution and incapacitation. If you believe in capital punishment, I suppose you could argue for the death penalty. However, this long sentence itself is technically retribution. I personally think that incapacitaion is the most important seeing as I don't believe in capital punishment, and this guy needs to be kept away from the public. If you read all this, achievement unlocked!

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to talk to me!

Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Jul 26, 2008 11:43 AM

Jun 2008
No crime should get you in jail that long. Seriously, why is sexual assault so bad? Serial killers are far worse, and they never get that long in jail, and a lot of them kill, eat, rape, dismember, and keep the corpses, and they don't even get half that.
I'm back.
Jul 26, 2008 11:46 AM

Jun 2008
Also, I know a guy named James Pope. That is fucked up, he's my friends dad.
I'm back.
Jul 26, 2008 12:42 PM

Oct 2007
Nathan-the-Axe said:
No crime should get you in jail that long. Seriously, why is sexual assault so bad? Serial killers are far worse, and they never get that long in jail, and a lot of them kill, eat, rape, dismember, and keep the corpses, and they don't even get half that.

I agree completely. Something went terribly wrong the day sex became worse than murder.
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 26, 2008 12:44 PM

Mar 2008
Napalmbrain said:

These sort of sentences are ridiculous and makes the law look like a laughing stock. All the Judge had to do is say "the rest of your life in prison". Alright, maybe some sort of life-extending drug could be invented within the next few years, but you just can't take a sentence like that seriously (unless you're the one being sentenced, obviously).

Yeah, I agree.
Jul 26, 2008 12:46 PM

May 2008
seriously these judges have too much time on their hands :D
Jul 26, 2008 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
Hail Kira!
Jul 26, 2008 1:48 PM

Jun 2007
Nathan-the-Axe said:

That's because serial killers are usually psychopaths and they are locked away in a secure mental health unit. They never see release either.

Also, in response to Kuyukly (on sexual assault being seen as worse than murder), that is not the case in most countries. I'm not sure about the US (there are usually a lot of similarities to the law in the UK though) but in Britain rape will get you a sentence starting at five years whereas murder will get you a sentence starting from 15 years. The reason this guy got such a long sentence is because it is a cumulative total of all the sentences he received for each individual offence, and the nature of the offence affects the sentence as well (basically, some cases of sexual assault and above are worse than others). Does the US use the tariff system?
OranSolusJul 26, 2008 5:09 PM
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Jul 28, 2008 4:27 PM

May 2008
_Kiba_ said:
Napalmbrain said:

Yeah, I agree.

I second that XD

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Jul 28, 2008 4:35 PM

Feb 2007
I'd like to have seen his face in reaction to this sentence. Heck, I would have started laughing if I were sentenced for that long.
Jul 28, 2008 4:54 PM

Aug 2007
I think they should just lock him up for like 45 years or so, that way he will probably spend most, if not all of his life in jail but could possibly die out of jail.
Jul 28, 2008 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
4,060 years is a technicality, since years get added on for repeated offenses. But for offenses worth 4,060 years, why not just make it a death sentence? There's no reforming there, no correction. Just torture. But what's the point of torture if it's not teaching him a lesson or anything like that? Just kill him now if this is his sentence...
Jul 28, 2008 5:49 PM

Jul 2008
the sentence is stupid to go that high, like he's gonna live nearly that long......
and people shouldn't fell sorry for him at all. im sure he knew that sexually abusing children can have serious consequences

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.