Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 2016 6:36 PM

Feb 2016
I really liked the art style of Gankutsuou and I also find the looks of Mononoke very interesting. Im sure this is gonna be an enjoyable show.
Oct 1, 2016 1:34 PM
Apr 2014
I don't think I can say I *enjoy* this, but I really don't dislike it. Though some of the scenes I had to pause as I was getting a bit of motion sickness... which very rarely happens to me with any form of media anymore. (I think the last would have been playing Prey while drunk...) But I'll continue watching I guess, as I found it to be an interesting story, though I don't really enjoy the art, I feels like it's unique just to be unique which I don't consider a good thing.
Oct 22, 2016 7:16 PM

Feb 2014
I'm seeing a lot of parallels with Mushishi.

Cool main characters with a vast knowledge of the supernatural. Find mushi/mononoke, explore, discover cause, fix. Kusuriuri seems to have a bit more of an edge to him compared to Ginko though. Love his design, too. In fact the whole aesthetic of the show looks great.

Expecting some seriously trippy shit out of this one with the art style and the horror genre thrown in together.

9/10 best first episode I've seen in a while.
Nov 27, 2016 3:08 AM

Mar 2013
I absolutely adore the Medicine Seller's design. I like the way he speaks too. Adds to his not quite human feel.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Dec 13, 2016 9:20 AM

Jan 2012
Jet- said:
I'm seeing a lot of parallels with Mushishi.

Cool main characters with a vast knowledge of the supernatural. Find mushi/mononoke, explore, discover cause, fix. Kusuriuri seems to have a bit more of an edge to him compared to Ginko though. Love his design, too. In fact the whole aesthetic of the show looks great.

Expecting some seriously trippy shit out of this one with the art style and the horror genre thrown in together.

9/10 best first episode I've seen in a while.

i would say yes , even though i don't agree with everything

Art was quite turn off in the beginning but i guess i will get used to it . on to episode 2

story was decent but let's see more

Feb 12, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2015
Wow the art and sound combine to give me goosebumps
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 12, 2017 5:28 AM

May 2016
It's a mystery on how this first episode managed to make me more confused than the Demon Cat arc in Ayakashi lol I suppose it'll piece together in the next episode

The art was gorgeous eye-candy but the characters lmao
I can't get enough of that opening~ So catchy ♡ It was such a tease when it ended so abruptly '^'

My favorite parts of the episode was the time when the assassin threw knifes next to the girl and when the Medicine Seller deployed all those talismans. The latter one was such a sight to watch!

Oct 9, 2017 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
This is very artistic and epic.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 17, 2017 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
This is another one of those anime that I think is really freaking good--interesting aesthetics, good use of headache-inducing directing to create a feeling of paranoia and trappedness.
But it's just not my kind of thing.
Oct 20, 2017 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
I loved it. I actually didn't know I could skip the prequel lol. It was pretty awesome when the medicine seller formed all of the seals into a circle. Badass.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 24, 2017 1:09 AM

Jan 2017
What an intense first episode. The sensation you get from it, it leaves you feeling sorta awkward and excited!

Not only the visuals are impressive but the musicalization is on point; like, totally complements and blends with visuals giving you some sort of 'scratching the walls feeling' (i know, sounds weird af).

Oh and as soon as i heard Kusuriuri's voice it totally remembered me of Oshino Meme. Anyways, totally sublime. I loved it.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 9, 2018 1:13 AM

Jan 2017
The final product is not even thriller.
Horror is another story.

There's only suspense.
Contemporary0091Jan 27, 2018 9:10 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Mar 31, 2018 5:27 AM

Mar 2018
The episode felt like it finished way too quick. But the timestamp was that of a normal episode.

This is pretty much an indication of how much i enjoyed this episode. The visual art style is extremely enthralling to the point you could find beauty in virtual any frame you choose at random. The colour palette is amazing and the creators definitely deserve massive praise for it.

However, the art style became secondary. Which is a huge positive. I've witnessed many a time where Animations that are unconventional in their art sometimes fall flat because the story is lacking and the aesthetic takes precedence over the narrative. This did not disappoint.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Dec 14, 2018 1:11 AM

Dec 2016
OH FUCK YEAH, exactly what I was looking for in a horror anime
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 26, 2019 2:43 AM

Jun 2015
the art is amazing, i love the style of it and how different it is from other anime. story wise its pretty simple so far, but i was pretty immersed in this first episode
Mar 16, 2019 3:56 PM

May 2017
Man this anime feels unique, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, especially about the aesthetics but it definitely piqued my interest, need to see more.

Oh yea nice Op
Apr 19, 2019 2:41 AM

Jan 2018
This art style is just awesome. I'm always hooked the second I see something unique like this.. same thing happened for me with Ping Pong. A lot of people seemed to dislike the art, but that's part of why I loved it xD

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 28, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
didn't understand half of what was happening in the episode and after finishing I realized I was watching episode two not the first and now I wanna stab myself
Jun 12, 2019 8:42 PM

Dec 2018
It's a story driven narrative similar to Mushi-shi. And as with most old anime its outdated animation style isn't interesting. Good thing is I can fast forward when the pacing is too slow.
Jul 13, 2019 7:35 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Interesting to say the least. I got a pretty solid idea on what this show might be about from watching the prequel series, it seems that they are going to follow the same formula of having to force the truth and regret out of all witnesses in order to defeat a Mononoke.
The opening sequence was very colorful and unique just like the rest of the visuals in the show but the song itself was kind of meh, the ending was definitely better in that regard.
Apr 11, 2020 4:39 AM

Apr 2015
A true visual powerhouse.
Apr 24, 2020 8:47 AM

Jun 2013
I'm reading earlier comments and I'm surprised by how many people were saying the art style was "ugly."

Oh well, different folks different strokes. I am just sitting here in awe. My eyes feasting on this show's papery, Ukiyo-e-esque art with its complementary subdued colors and minimalist movements adding to its creepy storytelling while others find it difficult to appreciate something which slightly veers off mainstream design.
臭い-
May 16, 2020 1:54 AM

Mar 2020
Exciting start. I can't say anything about this which hasn't been said already, but what I will say is that the art direction is definitely the strong point. I'm not the biggest fan of Edo-era art, but the use of colour and perspective really won me over.

What I find strange about this, though, is the way some of the backgrounds move. I hate the way they fade. It makes me feel like I have a nail stuck in my eye or something.
May 19, 2020 1:48 PM

Aug 2018
Before starting to watch this I heard people say that its like Mushishi

They were right, its like mushishi on LSD

Its gonna be a very interesting watching expierence, because artstyle is good and very colorful but feels lazy at the same time
Jun 6, 2020 3:53 AM

Oct 2019
The art and animation is quite unique and interesting..

The first episode has started off well..the ambience is set..lets go..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jul 13, 2020 4:05 AM

Feb 2019
The art is hella amazing I liked how they showed the rain in the form of white flowers, great episode tho.
Jul 31, 2020 3:16 AM
Aug 2019
I was hesitant to watch this at first due to the animation but now i’m used to it & I actually love it. The plot is interesting & the voice acting is also good.
So far i’m loving it
Aug 9, 2020 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
Man the art style is pretty unique , it is pretty symbolic to Japanese culture I like such symbolic anime , also the way it was able to set up the tension was one of its kind
Nov 11, 2020 5:51 PM
Apr 2018
Not quite sure what the hell I just watched but I'm into it
Apr 29, 2022 7:38 PM
Dec 2019
This is a super interesting and visually appealing show, but is no one gonna talk about the overtly racist character design of Tokuji, the helper at the inn???
May 10, 2022 12:25 AM

May 2009
Mahoukun said:
This is a super interesting and visually appealing show, but is no one gonna talk about the overtly racist character design of Tokuji, the helper at the inn???

I will! It's funny seeing this thread so vapidly focus on the art style instead of any possible lore, characterization, or meaning. Good anime is lost on the masses anyways. Yeah the art style is interesting but can we talk about the meaning behind the pregnant woman being accepted into a full inn, the medicine healers purpose, the op the ed???
IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED ODDTAXI OR SAIKI K I'LL BONK YOU IN THE HEAD

Sep 18, 2022 8:43 AM
Apr 2014
That's quite the art style. I kinda like it tbh. It's missing shadows completely but tehy still pull off depth perception really well.

The story seems a bit weird but maybe that's because it's going to be small unrelated stories. It just felt like nothing really happened in this first episode. It was entertaining nonetheless.
Oct 12, 2022 3:46 PM
Apr 2018
I'm really going to enjoy this series. I heard about it from The Anime Man and I thought I would give it a try. So far, has exceeded my expectations and has me wanting for more. I quickly noticed that it's one of those anime where you need to understand a little bit of Japanese culture and folklore in order to firmly grasp the concepts that are being shown to you. You can pretty much figure out what is happening, especially when the Medicine Man explains that he needs Form, Truth, and Reason. I find myself having to go back and look at some missed details and I went on Wikipedia in order to confirm my suspicions, but that's okay. The beautiful "paper mache" animation is so colorful and unique I can't wait to watch the next episode!
Nov 6, 2022 9:22 AM
Dec 2021
rly simplistic way to introduce the art style + the "plot" which i love! it also created a sort of eerie feeling even from the very beginning which is usually difficult for creators.

the medicine seller is like this morally-grey sort of character which makes this a cliffhanger of sorts.

can't wait to see what happens next!
Feb 27, 2023 12:26 AM
Jan 2023
The art style is unmistakably dope. The Medicine Man looks cool. I guess it felt a little tense.

It was mostly exposition though, there weren't any interesting developments.
Mar 13, 2023 1:43 PM

Jul 2021
interesting
a great start fr
Apr 2, 2023 9:31 AM

Nov 2010
It kinda sucks that Zashiki Warashi is butt ugly. Usually, they are cute little girls.
Apr 18, 2023 3:01 PM
Apr 2023
Mahoukun said:
right?? it's so weird that i havent seen more people talking about it. the art is great, i love how abstract it is, everything about it is amazing but i almost couldnt get through that first episode. it was really uncalled and blatantly racist, even for 2008. but tbh im not surprised people (white) arent talking about it more since they think its a non-issue for them. 
Apr 29, 2023 8:55 PM

Mar 2022
still wild that this isnt tagged as 🌀🌀avant-garde🌀🌀
my brain lit cant handle which way is up

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
May 28, 2023 9:40 PM
May 2023
very weird... but i like weird so it was super good
Sep 1, 2023 6:47 AM
Jul 2018
This anime is so underrated
Nov 2, 2023 12:36 PM
Nov 2023
Visuais empolgantes, história sem pé nem cabeça (algo bom), designs de personagens bonitos e um plot interessante, por ser uma parte 1 ainda não consegui visualizar bem a ideia da obra, mas vou continuar assistindo
Dec 17, 2023 4:36 PM
Jul 2017
the art style sucks BUT WHAT IS THE PLOT EVEN HOLY
Jan 11, 8:43 AM

Jun 2020
The art style and Im not sure how to call it but the camera work? Amazing. Its working for this Anime and its the most important.
Jan 12, 8:49 AM
Jan 2024
The first anime in a while to have me hooked from episode one! It's so effective at setting an unsettling tone. I love the art direction, the opening sequance is mesmerizing. The voice acting is good(granted I am watching in Japanese), the sound design is great so far, I'm very excited for more.
hunterXhewwoJan 12, 8:54 AM
Apr 22, 2:13 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to geclover3000
Mahoukun said:
right?? it's so weird that i havent seen more people talking about it. the art is great, i love how abstract it is, everything about it is amazing but i almost couldnt get through that first episode. it was really uncalled and blatantly racist, even for 2008. but tbh im not surprised people (white) arent talking about it more since they think its a non-issue for them. 
@geclover3000 it's a little bit disgusting actually but I can't say I'm surprised. There was even a dude in the thread talking about "little girls" his words.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zanmato666 - Aug 4, 2007

98 by uzis_imperius »»
Feb 17, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Brand - Sep 5, 2007

82 by PaninaManina »»
Feb 2, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zanmato666 - Oct 11, 2007

134 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 6:56 PM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 11 Discussion

gothicpsyche - Oct 29, 2007

35 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Mononoke Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Oct 8, 2007

53 by kirA_-_ »»
Jan 12, 8:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.