3It was OK
5.9%
2Disliked it
3.1%
1Hated it
10.9%
Average 4.2
256 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 22, 2011 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
KOGITSUNE~~~♥ right from the beginning! He wanted to be strong and be any power for Natsume.

Nyanko-sensei's hurt, but Natsume's been invited for a trip to pottery. Kogitsune was happy to see Natsume, but he's not here for him, so he's sad.

Different time for every living things, they keep missing each other. It's nice that they met each other finally. Wow, nice gift for Kogitsune (plate with fox).

Next ep. is school festival.
tsubasaloverAug 24, 2011 5:17 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 22, 2011 10:54 AM

Nov 2008
I'm that there was at least some continuation from the previous arc since everybody was saying that this was just a filler.

Since the little fox was in it, I was expecting him to spend a lot of time with Natsume just like the other episodes but it was still enjoyable. It was nice that the episode had the same atmosphere prior to the Motoba arc.

I wonder if we are going to see the little fox again? It felt like a parting of sorts considering what the rock god told him.
Aug 22, 2011 11:17 AM
Oct 2009
School festival won't be skipped, yay)
And the ep was better than expected. At least he was able to stand up for himself.
But sensei was too lively, definetely! =P
Aug 22, 2011 12:20 PM

Feb 2011
I LOVE kogitsune but this ep didn't really do it for me...
I'm definitely biased against filler because there is so much good material in the manga I am looking forward to seeing

lol those two youkai that bully kogitsune are just like the ones at Natsume's place
Aug 22, 2011 1:13 PM
Oct 2008
kissshot said:

lol those two youkai that bully kogitsune are just like the ones at Natsume's place

Yes, only the colors of the cyclops differ. Maybe there are more of these cow/cyclop pairs in the Natsume world.
Aug 22, 2011 1:57 PM

Feb 2008
gah can they make an episode that doesn't make you teary eyed.

this is one of the rare interactions between him and the "father". the manga doesn't even show any close interactions between him and his adopted family. this was a nice change.

i gotta ask....is that fox a girl or a boy?
Aug 22, 2011 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
I love the little fox boy :3 I wish Natsume would take him home. And I love how he says 'Natsume!'
Aug 22, 2011 2:46 PM

Oct 2010
Another great episode and to think that Hinoe's herb mention started things nicely. I was thinking so much Party Hardy in the following,

those youkais are some party goers big time at that part.
Other than that I totally bawled out in the following,

That song and scene so reminded of little Ushio running towards Tomoya in Clannad After Story. Oh man when that little kid fox in the spoiler
cried out and just teared up much more. It was so good to finally release all that build up I had. Things really got wild when the lighting hit that tree here. I swear I never could believe that the old man came to rescue the little fox kid! He detached himself from the rock in sacrifice knowing perfectly his existence would cease to help out the little kid makes me totally astonished. That rope breaking and those herbs were quite the spectacle IMO. I was really happy that Natsume made a bowl for the little fox kid. Loved all the expressions of little fox kid in the spoiler
while I liked that he scratched the red head one and made both of them run in fear. That taught them! The flashback with the little fox kid having a hat was nice and I believe it is from last season, correct?

Overall it made me cry and it was all good emotionally. Amazing episode TBH.

About preview, some stone face youkai? Looks like
the school festival is coming up sooner than I though. Oh well sounds like people will have their Natsume in apron GIF/avatar sooner than I though. Natsume looks hot with one eye and the other covered by his hair here. Well hope to see some action during the festival. Youkai planning to harm humans and such.

BTW photo assemblies in the spoiler
Hinoe looks nice but the landscape of little kid fox climbing towards that tree or walking with Natsume under the moon are breathtaking! So well done on the big plan that I was more pleased seeing them stitched. It's like a magnificent painting!
Truly remarkable really.
Yumekichi11Aug 22, 2011 7:26 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Aug 22, 2011 3:15 PM

Sep 2008
A cute, heartwarming episode.
I vaguely remember the fox boy; it must be because of his cuteness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2011 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
I'm glad that I can still say that all three anime have never once disappointed me. This was fantastic, and would have been my favourite episode if it was not for Matoba... wow Matoba.

And the cultural festival is NEXT!!! I'm looking forward to seeing Natsume in an apron personally, just as long as it isn't pink.

The fox was cute as always and I was very touched by everything that took place and the tender words that were said. Natsume hanging out with his "dad" was also very good.

The director is a genius at helping make these "fillers", after all, he did direct both Baccano and DRRR, he should know what he is doing. And also, the fillers allow us to always have a series every 18-24 months or so.

Episode was a solid 9/10 (then again, just about all of them are).
Aug 22, 2011 3:31 PM

Nov 2007
Natsume always gets me all teary even with filler episodes! T_T

The Fox child is so adorable. I love the way he talks with so much curiosity. Still yet to learn so many things about the worlds they live in but lives all on his own. :(

Nice to see Natsume going on a trip with Shigeru-san. It showed how close they have become and how much they care about one another. Great father and son relationship right there. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 22, 2011 4:43 PM
Apr 2011
That was a nice episode.
Made me tear up.
Aug 22, 2011 5:14 PM

Jun 2009
I really wish Natsume Yuujinchou would change after two seasons of encounters and partings, It's becoming sorta plain, as the story ain't progressing not all.. The same things repeating itself though I've become attached to the characters but Natsume.. The main character himself ain't developing that fast to keep up with two season pace, if we look back at it we had a 26 episodes, after all that we see just a little bit of growth. If they had started something new in the last 2nd season it would be a step up but they didn't. So were the previous two seasons an introduction only!!!!? Heck they didn't even show more details about his grandmother, I liked her character she seemed really cool. It's about time for the story to get move on. I mean I look back and found myself waited two and half years for this "season 3" and then we have this!! A repeated cycle, it's just not fair, it ain't doing the story any good, like every two episodes you would have a farewell. we got used to this already, they need to come up with something new and I wish Natsume Takashi would become something close to his grandmother and learning some new skills like hers, that would improve our image of him but that ain't happening at all. He is just a wimp who is afraid to make stand in front of others.
Oh man I really miss works such Mushishi and characters like Ginko

Aug 22, 2011 5:21 PM

Jul 2009
Damn, that's one of the best fillers I've seen. Loved the "time" theme and how, in classic Natsume Yuujinchou-style, the little fox decides it's worth it to stay friends with Natsume, despite realizing that Natsume's lifespan is much shorter.
Aug 22, 2011 6:07 PM

Jun 2009
This is supernatural slice of life, thus the fillers are just a bonus.
LMAO at the whiners, they are like people watching a beautiful sunset, jumping up and down shouting "Why won't it move faster?!"
Although I do agree this season has been a little weaker so far, Kogitsune has been one of my favourites for a long time, so I'm very happy.
Aug 22, 2011 6:15 PM

Jul 2011
The festival!! Festivaaaal!!! <333 Can't wait for the youkai gang, Tanuma, Taki, Nishimura, Kitamoto in the next episode!!! <333
Aug 22, 2011 8:38 PM

Jun 2009
Klodrik said:
LMAO at the whiners, they are like people watching a beautiful sunset, jumping up and down shouting "Why won't it move faster?!"
Although I do agree this season has been a little weaker so far, Kogitsune has been one of my favourites for a long time, so I'm very happy.

Da... I said I waited two and a half years to see the story get moving on yet it ain't moving at all and to make things worse they used Kogitsune as a filler character despite her deep feelings for Natusme, so in the end any progress towards their relationship would be irrelevant which makes me sad. As I really like her character.

Aug 22, 2011 9:13 PM

Mar 2009
Was kind of disappointed with this episode. It was the standard "humans shouldn't mingle with the supernatural" theme because of age/time. The fox's characterization was pretty 2D ("Natsume! It's Natsume!"), though Nyanko-sensei was cute, as usual.

I'd have to agree with dragon132004, though; Mushi-shi pretty much does everything Natsume does, except better and with less humour. Perhaps this episode felt weak just because the last one was pretty awesome.
Aug 22, 2011 9:41 PM

Jun 2009
dragon132004 said:
Klodrik said:

Da... I said I waited two and a half years to see the story get moving on yet it ain't moving at all and to make things worse they used Kogitsune as a filler character despite her deep feelings for Natusme, so in the end any progress towards their relationship would be irrelevant which makes me sad. As I really like her character.

Umm, I'm afraid Kogitsune is a "he".
It is perhaps worth noting that the mangaka has stated that she doesn't really understand male relationships, so when drawing upon her own experiences as a woman to portray friendships, Natsume's interactions with other males unintentionally come across as somewhat homo-erotic.
Aug 22, 2011 10:13 PM

Apr 2009
Ah, it seems that I've learned my lesson: always look forward to every episode of NY (even if you're not too fond of the fox kid).
This was such a good episode. The reunion of Natsume's spirit friends at beginning was a nice addition as well. ^^

Fujosee said:
The festival!! Festivaaaal!!! <333 Can't wait for the youkai gang, Tanuma, Taki, Nishimura, Kitamoto in the next episode!!! <333

Yes, finally! ^^,

Aug 23, 2011 1:52 AM

Jul 2011
dragon132004 said:

As I really like her character.

"HER." >.> Pfffttt. I see, you are just another moe-otaku who's hoping for lots of hot lolis screen times in Natsume Yuujinchou >.> Then, when you didn't get it, you whined about the whole story. I think you've watched a wrong anime.♥
Important note : That fox-boy is just a side character, get over it.

shiine-chan said:
Ah, it seems that I've learned my lesson: always look forward to every episode of NY (even if you're not too fond of the fox kid).
This was such a good episode. The reunion of Natsume's spirit friends at beginning was a nice addition as well. ^^

Fujosee said:

Yes, finally! ^^,

^^ Takiii~
FujoseeAug 23, 2011 2:01 AM
Aug 23, 2011 3:10 AM
Dec 2007
Wow, that was a fantastic heart-warming, yet bittersweet episode once again.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 23, 2011 7:48 AM

Oct 2010
Natsume Yuujinchou isn't of the shounen genre, so everyone that expects Natsume to "learn some new skills to defeat Youkai" or something are just watching the WRONG anime.
NY is a very nice series! The humor, sadness and loneliness are what make it such a great anime!!!!!!
Aug 23, 2011 2:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Mangafee said:
Natsume Yuujinchou isn't of the shounen genre, so everyone that expects Natsume to "learn some new skills to defeat Youkai" or something are just watching the WRONG anime.
NY is a very nice series! The humor, sadness and loneliness are what make it such a great anime!!!!!!

This.

Again, the fox boy filler character once again proved to be such an adorable character.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 24, 2011 5:28 AM

Dec 2007
Fujosee said:

Isn't it sad, Sasada? ;_;
Aug 24, 2011 10:31 AM

Apr 2010
Every time i see that little fox i can't help think that he is a girl he is just so feminine.

It was a pretty peaceful episode still it was nice of that rock spirit to offer his life for the little fox.
Aug 24, 2011 10:50 AM

May 2010
I almost cried just because of how adorable the little fox is. I'm such a softy. XDDD
Aug 24, 2011 4:57 PM

Jun 2009
Oh, Kogitsune, you’re as adorable as ever ♥

Natsume spending quality time with Shigeru-san was a great way to emphasize the mutual affection they share as a family.

School festival next. Oh yes. I WANT TO SEE NATSUME IN AN APRON~! —and more Taki, of course—. That’s going to be priceless animated.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Aug 26, 2011 8:24 AM

May 2010
I miss Kogitsune !!!
Aug 26, 2011 9:15 PM

Oct 2010
Can't say anything that's been said. Only five more to go, huh?

It'd be good if they tied the loose ends with Matoba, but... ahem.... aproned Natsume first, please.
Aug 27, 2011 5:16 PM

Feb 2009
So cute!
Feel so sad for the rock god though.
Aug 28, 2011 8:58 AM

Jul 2008
The potter=Atari Kousuke
Aug 28, 2011 12:52 PM

May 2008
Filler was alright... but I still don't see why they had to put it in there when there's still so much material from the manga.

At least they're not skipping the festival...

WistaireAug 28, 2011 1:03 PM
Aug 30, 2011 8:27 AM

Oct 2010
oh no... i watched ep 9 w/o this one~!! ;A; i had a feeling sumting was off.
Aug 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Nov 2008
Klodrik said:
dragon132004 said:
Klodrik said:

It is perhaps worth noting that the mangaka has stated that she doesn't really understand male relationships, so when drawing upon her own experiences as a woman to portray friendships, Natsume's interactions with other males unintentionally come across as somewhat homo-erotic.

The old god's comments to the fox are interesting however, as the god says that its time for the kitsune to have and raise kids like the kitsune's mother did... The Japanese dialog (not the English subtitles) almost implied that the kitsune is female, although in this episode they made the kitsune look more masculine than it did the last time...

Who knows... <L>
Aug 31, 2011 2:28 PM

Jul 2010
I loved the episode, nice and super cute <3 I liked to see how the little fox boy was able to defend himself now but he still liked Natsume so much :D He's so cute and I got emotional when the old man saved him from that tree, I expected Natsume to rescue him... And so nice that Natsume made the bowl for him <3
Sep 1, 2011 9:39 AM

May 2010
Felt bad for the rock god.

He's always alone due to his attachment to the rock yet he saved the fox boy even it if cost his existence. What a god!! :(

Seeing the fox boy again was good.

And Nyanko-sensei bowl!! DO WANT!!! :D
Sep 6, 2011 10:50 AM

Mar 2011
Episode was okay. It was nice to see Natsume and the dad spend some time together. It's good Nyanko-sensei got healed.

Festival episode sounds like it could be good.
Sep 29, 2011 1:00 PM

May 2008
dbaranyi said:
Klodrik said:
dragon132004 said:
Klodrik said:

The old god's comments to the fox are interesting however, as the god says that its time for the kitsune to have and raise kids like the kitsune's mother did... The Japanese dialog (not the English subtitles) almost implied that the kitsune is female, although in this episode they made the kitsune look more masculine than it did the last time...

Who knows... <L>
It's been stated expressly that the fox is a boy. It takes two to make a child. Just because he was told to have a family doesn't mean he's female. That logic makes no sense, especially since when he was first introduced he was stated as male.
Oct 1, 2011 12:36 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah. Fantastic episode. Emotional, as always, and the watch was a nice touch.
Dec 4, 2011 2:17 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was beautiful (: I really liked it.
Jan 28, 2012 11:17 AM

Aug 2008
Feb 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Oct 2009
Man ... the difference in 'time' for different beings gave me a pretty sad feeling. Kitsune-chan wants to be with Nastume, but he's a beast and he's a human.

That Rock-god was awesome. Sad that he died.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2012 2:31 AM

Dec 2009
Usual Natsume quality. Good episode as usual.

4/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 12, 2012 5:57 AM

Oct 2011
Great episode as always! Loved how Natsume made a bowl with nyanko sensei's face :3 That was so cute!
Jul 12, 2012 4:41 PM

Feb 2009
THE FOX IS A BOY?!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Oct 7, 2012 11:23 AM

Nov 2008
It gave me a smile, when i saw the pottery plate with the fox on it. :,)
Jan 6, 2013 6:00 PM

Nov 2011
Another relaxing episode of Natsume~
Apr 5, 2013 11:41 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bellpickle said:
Damn, that's one of the best fillers I've seen. Loved the "time" theme and how, in classic Natsume Yuujinchou-style, the little fox decides it's worth it to stay friends with Natsume, despite realizing that Natsume's lifespan is much shorter.

Yes, the theme was definitely executed very well in this episode. I shed some tears for the rock god when he disappeared after saving Kogitsune, especially right at the part where the ropes broke and then the watch. That scene with Natsume hugging Kogitsune was also very touching.
Aug 2, 2013 11:49 AM
Jul 2013
i really loved this episode. i think there is a lot of depth and change between the characters, though i wish natsume would come to understand more about the fox's needs. regardless, this episode was so beautiful. it makes me think about my own relationships to life here... and what self-less, radical love looks like...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 25, 2011

198 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 4, 4:59 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jul 4, 2011

151 by Carolinex86 »»
Mar 18, 8:33 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2011

114 by Pockycrusader »»
Sep 27, 2023 5:47 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2011

81 by dio9_by »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:36 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou San Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 5, 2011

69 by Meritas »»
Sep 10, 2023 1:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.