Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (200) « First ... « 198 199 [200]

Mar 7, 2014 1:27 PM

Lord_Pooka said:
ronri said:
Also the whole point of the title "Kill La Kill" is the fact that it's a pun, with the Japanese use of the word "kill" being pronounced as “kiru,” which can either mean “to cut,” or “to put on (wear)”, which again, are aspects that are actually present in the show when you consider that it's motif is literally clothing and cutting/wearing them (things that the show actually DOES deliver).

So uh yes, including two Kill's in the title helps in exemplifying the dual aspect of the pun and the ridiculous nature of the show, something that you obviously missed or outright disregarded.

Playing with puns is dangerous either way. Who are you, or who am I, to simply know whether the title means "cut the clothes," "clothes the cut," "cut the cut," or what? And no, that doesn't help. A damn English name with the proper words would've worked better than the word "kill," something this generic company failed to understand.

If you actually watched the show, the pun does make sense. It's not about possibilities of what the pun could mean when the show clearly has clothing being cut.

A company which produces anime for a japanese speaking audience decided to make the title something that makes sense if you understand the language.
Gasp! What a newfound concept!

I'd also like to see you explain why exactly Trigger is a generic company.

Mar 7, 2014 1:37 PM

why ppl still care about obvious trolls...

Mar 7, 2014 1:46 PM

InfernCup said:
Lord_Pooka said:
ronri said:
Also the whole point of the title "Kill La Kill" is the fact that it's a pun, with the Japanese use of the word "kill" being pronounced as “kiru,” which can either mean “to cut,” or “to put on (wear)”, which again, are aspects that are actually present in the show when you consider that it's motif is literally clothing and cutting/wearing them (things that the show actually DOES deliver).

So uh yes, including two Kill's in the title helps in exemplifying the dual aspect of the pun and the ridiculous nature of the show, something that you obviously missed or outright disregarded.

Playing with puns is dangerous either way. Who are you, or who am I, to simply know whether the title means "cut the clothes," "clothes the cut," "cut the cut," or what? And no, that doesn't help. A damn English name with the proper words would've worked better than the word "kill," something this generic company failed to understand.

If you actually watched the show, the pun does make sense. It's not about possibilities of what the pun could mean when the show clearly has clothing being cut.

A company which produces anime for a japanese speaking audience decided to make the title something that makes sense if you understand the language.

Learning something new today. I sure wish I could understand japanese.

Mar 7, 2014 1:48 PM

InfernCup said:
Lord_Pooka said:
ronri said:

Except that I only grasp a few Japanese words such as baka and demo and hai. And not everyone is your typical otaku with a Japanese dictionary inside them or translators. Not everyone is going to get your pun or title.

Trigger is a generic company of course. What have they done differently to all other generic anime making companies? Oh yes, they did nothing. They essentially made an anime, it suddenly got famous, and that's it. Then by the next anime, people are weighing it like the anime before it. That's all. By the way, all anime companies are generic, so putting up their names as if its a selling point shouldn't be an excuse for why killaterrible is good.

phreeak said:
why ppl still care about obvious trolls...

Yet again, you fail to grasp the proper definition of a troll. If you don't see me posting inflammatory content, then obviously I'm too far from a troll.

Mar 7, 2014 2:15 PM

Lord_Pooka said:

Except that I only grasp a few Japanese words such as baka and demo and hai. And not everyone is your typical otaku with a Japanese dictionary inside them or translators. Not everyone is going to get your pun or title.

Trigger is a generic company of course. What have they done differently to all other generic anime making companies? Oh yes, they did nothing. They essentially made an anime, it suddenly got famous, and that's it. Then by the next anime, people are weighing it like the anime before it. That's all. By the way, all anime companies are generic, so putting up their names as if its a selling point shouldn't be an excuse for why killaterrible is good.

Doesn't matter that neither you nor I speak japanese. We aren't part of the target audience, so it doesn't matter that we don't speak the language.

Trigger used to be a part of Gainax, so let's see what they've at least contributed to working on.

We have Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Inferno Cop, Gunbuster and Diebuster are just some I can name. Yeah you got me, it's all generic right? I'm sure you could find a million versions of Evangelion before it came out right?

Mar 7, 2014 2:20 PM

Lord_Pooka said:

You do realize how silly you sound right now by insisting that it's wrong for a Japanese show to use a Japanese pun in its title right? No? Okay then...

Lord_Pooka said:

No offense, though it's possible for me to assume your position and ponder on this, judging by your list it doesn't seem like you've even watched much anime to make such bold claims about "generic" shows. So how exactly is this meant to be a convincing argument on your part when you literally only have 3 shows completed on your list? No seriously, unless you simply haven't updated your list (which is perfectly understandable), it's not really helping your case on this.

Also no one's trying to convince you to like Kill La Kill "because TRIGGER" (I've already made my point about it anyway), you're the one who keeps bringing that up as if that's what people are trying to do whenever they're arguing against you. Also I'm sorry but I couldn't help but notice this:
Disliked anime(/manga): Kill la Kill (misleading title)

Seriously? Did the title really offend you that much? Wow.
Modified by ronri, Mar 7, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 7, 2014 2:25 PM

Lord_Pooka said:

Trigger made Inferno Cop. And I'm pretty sure Trigger was part of GAINAX, who was responsible for stuff like Gurren Lagann and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Mar 7, 2014 2:34 PM

InfernCup said:
We have Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Inferno Cop, Gunbuster and Diebuster are just some I can name. Yeah you got me, it's all generic right? I'm sure you could find a million versions of Evangelion before it came out right?

Any anime company is generic. That's the rule. They all make the same art and in the end all what they make is considered godly. There's nothing Gainax did which other companies didn't. No, don't tell me anime X, that's just one of their ideas.

ronri said:
You do realize how silly you sound right now by insisting that it's wrong for a Japanese show for using a Japanese pun in its title right? No? Okay then...

Isn't that what English names for the anime help in? Making things clear for the audience on the other side of the planet?

ronri said:
No offense, though it's possible for me to assume your position and ponder on this, judging by your list it doesn't seem like you've even watched much anime to make such bold claims about "generic" shows. So how exactly is this meant to be a convincing argument on your part when you literally only have 3 shows completed on your list? (no, seriously)

My list doesn't even spell what did I watch before Mirai Nikki. Because behind Mirai Nikki, I hated anime after having enough of it through the likes of the overrated three and other stuff. That's why my list is lacking.

ronri said:
Also no one's trying to convince you to like Kill La Kill "because TRIGGER", you're the one who keeps bringing that up as if that's what people are trying to do whenever they're arguing against you. Also I couldn't help but notice:
Disliked anime(/manga): Kill la Kill (misleading title)

Seriously? Did the title really offend you that much? Wow.

Its what most discussions bring up. That its created by company X. I don't care who made it, I don't even remember the names of those who made the anime I watch.

Yes, the title is the trouble. Had they had a better name to use for Englishmen... but no, they thought we will get the idea through their direct-from-Japanese translation.

Mar 7, 2014 2:40 PM

Lord_Pooka said:
InfernCup said:

Any anime company is generic. That's the rule. They all make the same art and in the end all what they make is considered godly. There's nothing Gainax did which other companies didn't. No, don't tell me anime X, that's just one of their ideas.

Well I'm done. I tried to put off joining the masses and hoping you weren't a troll but after that ignorant statement, just no.

Mar 7, 2014 2:43 PM

InfernCup said:
Lord_Pooka said:
InfernCup said:

Well I'm done. I tried to put off joining the masses and hoping you weren't a troll but after that ignorant statement, just no.

I quit trying after I read the "same art" part. Evangelion and Gurren Lagann look really different, for instance. And Evangelion has influenced many other series that came after and even popularized certain character archetypes.

Mar 7, 2014 2:43 PM

Lord_Pooka said:

Isn't that what English names for the anime help in? Making things clear for the audience on the other side of the planet?

Ummmmm nope. Not when you're not the intended audience in the first place? Not when it's a Japanese show mainly catering to Japanese viewers perhaps??? (not to mention, it's purposely using English to make a Japanese pun, not at all for "making things clear for the audience on the other side of the planet" as much as you love to claim it is)

SolBlade said:
I quit trying after I read the "same art" part. Evangelion and Gurren Lagann look really different, for instance. And Evangelion has influenced many other series that came after and even popularized certain character archetypes.

Interesting point about that, because Mirai Nikki (Lord_Pooka's favorite) might as well have literally ripped off a character from Evangelion... (both characters have the same VA too)
Modified by ronri, Mar 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Mar 7, 2014 2:53 PM

Naruto is clearly an overrated anime (story never progresses).
In the other hand, I feel like Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin is an underrated anime.

Mar 7, 2014 2:55 PM

MaJoe said:
In the other hand, I feel like Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin is an underrated anime.
The story progresses a lot in Naruto.

Mar 7, 2014 3:01 PM

MaJoe said:
I feel like Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin is an underrated anime.

The second half sucked. To be more accurate since

Which was fucking retarded. Easily the worst death I have ever seen in anime.

Mar 7, 2014 3:06 PM

Kimi ni Todoke is really overrated. I could barely make it as far as I did.

Mar 7, 2014 3:11 PM

tsudecimo said:
MaJoe said:

I thought the death was awesome, except for the fact that the OP practically spoiled it so that's probably why the effect wasn't as big.

Mar 7, 2014 3:19 PM

SolBlade said:
tsudecimo said:
MaJoe said:

I thought the death was awesome, except for the fact that the OP practically spoiled it so that's probably why the effect wasn't as big.

Really? he could have easily not died. It's like he purposely made sure that he would die no matter what for no apparent reason, his death didn't cause anything good. Then there was the forgiveness bullshit. The whole scene was just so unbelievably stupid and forced. I was loving the anime until that point, even gave it a 9/10. It dropped to 6/10 when I finished.

The first half was mostly great and fairly unique for anime.

Mar 7, 2014 5:25 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
MaJoe said:

In the first half of the manga (Naruto part 1) ? yeah. in Shippuden ? it's slightly slower.
Modified by Lucifer-Rey, Mar 7, 2014 5:45 PM

Mar 7, 2014 5:27 PM

This is the first time I've seen a thread with 10000+ posts.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱

Mar 7, 2014 5:31 PM

Don1Joker said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MaJoe said:

In the first half of the manga (Naruto part 1) ? yeah, in Shippuden. it's slightly slower.
It is progressing nontheleast.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book will be live this fall. Be sure to back it up guys."

Mar 7, 2014 7:06 PM
NeoAnkara said:
Don1Joker said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MaJoe said:

In the first half of the manga (Naruto part 1) ? yeah, in Shippuden. it's slightly slower.
It is progressing nontheleast.

No way, it is?!
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.

Mar 7, 2014 7:26 PM

Topic Locked because it exceeded 10,000 posts. New version available at: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1096043
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (200) « First ... « 198 199 [200]