Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (200) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
 
Jul 7, 2008 3:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4246
Death Note is overrated. It's good, but everybody thinks it's the the reincarnation of Jesus.
 
Jul 7, 2008 3:07 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Underrated: Monster. Regardless of how much praise people may give it it's probably not enough :x

Overrated: Hamtaro

..
 
Jul 7, 2008 11:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 843
Overrated: Lucky star. Ouran HS host club, Death Note, Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad, Air tv, ef-a tale of memories, Naruto, Bleach, and lots more.

Underrated: Monster. It's popular here but no one knows about it in other forums I go to. I can't find any fansites about it or pictures of it on the web.
 
Jul 7, 2008 12:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1629
Overrated:
-Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (CLAMP fangirls killed this show for me. It's way too patriotic and full of itself)
-Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Yeah, the animation's pretty, but the same goes with X: The Movie and Trinity Blood....and I hate X: The Movie and Trinity Blood. Give the minor characters more to do and make the fight scenes more coherent, please)
-Crayon Shin-chan (I tried to watch an episode but it JUST WASN'T FUNNY)

Underrated:
-Lucky Star (More anime need to be about nothing. The characters are engaging and the first 10 minutes of episode 1 is, dare I say it, UNIQUE [something most anime fans seem to hate nowadays])
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jul 7, 2008 1:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 386
Kage-Proxy said:
forlacik said:
Underrated - NGE

Overrated - Death Note...


I second this!
What is it with Death Note , its not THAT good!
A bit too much melodrama for my liking.


uh HELL NO. MELODRAMA is ef~ tale of memories of 5 million messages from a loser stalker eroge ho who has no life but appreantly we supposd to emphatize since they tacked some past on her ass or elfen lied. does'nt melodrama = crappy drama.

But I do agree that death note is overrated.. that anime is sorta boring sometimes... and the second half is just ugggh
Modified by midori-, Jul 8, 2008 5:05 AM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
 
Jul 7, 2008 1:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1828
Overrated:
- Haruhi Suumiya. Do I really have to explain or do you understand why I think it's overrated? Yes, I liked the show, it was good, but I still think it's overrated.

Underrated:
Can't think of any.. at least none that I've seen.
 
Jul 7, 2008 2:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 78
Overrated:
Code Geass/R2: because of the stupid twists and lol-strategy, and also because Lelouch is some idiot and everyone seem to be in love with him O_o

Death Note and especially Light: in the first part it has an interesting plot (though I dislike the Note) but the confrontation L vs Kira was amazing,
I also think that Light has no real meaning to be like that, and he's gone too far, I mean, killing also thieves who stole something stupid OMFG...

Gundam Seed but we can say also many other Gundam series: because the main characters are boring, the story was good but at Sunrise they employ only person without brain that produce things like a man surviving from an explosion, and he was in the center of it, (ah but sorry, he's the main character) they kill people without making them achieve their goal (who said La Flaga?) and other funny things.

Naruto: the first season was nice...and then there was shippuden <__< (same thing for the manga)

D.Gray-Man: the only character developed is Allen, and he's lame. Stupid twists and too much time wasted in thinking stupid things.

X: OMG...that was too much for me...I don't like Clamp style but I can overcome that aspect if at least the story has something to say, this is not the case.

Underrated:
Ergo Proxy: maybe because it's a massive amount of psychological meanings, I loved it

Sousei no Aquarion: everyone stops because of the orgasm-like thing, I think that it has some really cool things when you don't mind that aspect, and it's not so difficult, it needs only an open minded viewer.

Can't think of any others now...


Modified by AzeExMachina, Jul 8, 2008 1:00 PM
 
Jul 7, 2008 2:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Overrated: Suzumiya Haruhi

Underrated: There are just so many that are underrated, each in different catagories like unerrated animation or underrated comedy, etc.

Mainly older ones that are far better than almost any new anime, ones people should watch before any anime that has come out recently. City Hunter, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoko, Genocyber.. Then some newer ones, Mononoke, Akagi, SunaBouzu, Uninhabited Planet Survive.
 
Jul 7, 2008 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 486
overrated; azumanga daioh --> it might give u a heart attack because of its stupidity... the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya --> nothing special in it really... TTGL --> its not bad though, buy its definitely not the best or anyting,,, weird...

underrated; Fate/Stay Night, Toshokan Sensou, cant think of -any other anime at the moment...-
 
Jul 7, 2008 6:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 15715
capocani said:
overrated ..lets see: code geass,elfed lied, great teacher onizuka, bleach & naruto (which i still watch on regular bases)

underrated: mononoke, shigurui, kamichu, ninja scroll


Epic Failure.
I'm back.
 
Jul 8, 2008 12:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 78
I forgot to add Claymore in the overrated.
 
Jul 8, 2008 1:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
Overrated:

Lucky Star- it doesn't even get funny until about halfway through the series.

Afro Samurai- I've seen people raving over this series (not necessarily on this site), but I thought it was rather clichéd and dull.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei- it's alright, but can get a bit dull.

Death Note- it's good, but it's not that good. And before anyone thinks otherwise, I'm not one of those people who got all upset about


Gantz- Generally seemed like it was written by 13 year old boys. It's basically just a lot of pointless violence, swearing and sexual references. I have no problems with those things, but in this series they were just there as if it was supposed to make the show look more mature. Also, the pacing is dreadful (I dropped it on episode 9, where they spent the entire episode arguing with each other).

Underrated:

Excel Saga- I know a lot of people knock it, but I thought it was brilliantly funny. Well, at least when it wasn't trying to be serious, anyway.

Moyashimon- Very funny with an interesting concept and good characters, yet it goes largely ignored.

Kino's Journey- Not so much "underrated" as "unknown", but this is a fantastic series that doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves.
Modified by Napalmbrain, Jul 8, 2008 2:03 PM
 
Jul 8, 2008 2:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
Jyu Oh Sei is fast on its way to becoming underrated unless more people watch it soon. Then I can call it overrated.

Actually underrated: Niea Under 7. Watch it, it's nice.

Even more underrated: Texhnolyze. First episode was intentionally made like that to scare off weaklings! C'mon, golf clap at least?

Underrated movie: The Wings of Honneamise. Put your hand up if you've seen it.

EDIT:

gr33nhippo said:
Underrated:

Umm not to sure if these would constitute as underrated or not... but anyways:
-Evangelion (see a lot of haters out there)


Ah yes, perhaps one of, if not THE most famous anime in the history of the medium is underrated? Okdokey then.

Recap on underrated definition people:

"to rate or evaluate too low; underestimate." - The Dictionary

Therefore, underrated becomes synonymous with 'not many people have seen it' as well as the usual 'people keep bashing/ignoring it unfairly!' reason.

Therefore Eva has no place in this thread, its seen by billions, its basically the Star Wars of modern anime, its either rated accurately, or its overrated. M'kay? I choose rated accurately, but that's irrelevent. Like the scratch on my elbow. Totally irrelevent.
Modified by Beatnik, Jul 8, 2008 2:16 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 8, 2008 2:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
Cihan said:
Even more underrated: Texhnolyze. First episode was intentionally made like that to scare off weaklings! C'mon, golf clap at least?

Seriously? Because I actually wanted to watch that series, but that first episode really, really put me off. The first episode should be where you try to give your audience a good impression so that they will continue to watch your series- it should not try to scare them off.
 
Jul 8, 2008 2:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 4172
the_seventh_l said:
Overrated: Serial Experiment Lain, Ouran High School Host Club, Spirited Away
Underrated: Last Exile, Take The X Train, Moyashimon, Patlabor TV


I guess I'll go 'n' justify my picks, ni-pah?

Overrated:

Serial Experiment Lain: Overly pretentious, preachy, dry and dull in too many places. Not to mention that most of the time the art looks either washed out or too dark, not very good art to capture an audience.

Ouran High School Host Club: Not that funny, it's just a reverse harem and yet everyone's calling it groundbreaking.

Spirited Away: Weak story held up by great art. Not Miyazaki's best work by a long shot.

Underrated:

Last Exile: Chock full of amazing art, involving story, action, and characters you can actually care about or get involved with easily. Why it's not on most people's favorites list is beyond me.

Take The X Train: The art sucks, I'll give it that. But it's one heck of a trippy ride, complete with nose bleeds, haunted trains, freak lightning, and jazz. Gotta dig the jazz.

Moyashimon: The best anime of its year (2006? 2007? Can't remember). It's funny, it's educational, it involves talking kawaii microbes and a group of college students on the quest to create the best dang sake ever.


Patlabor TV: A mecha series that's more about the characters and their hang-ups than the mecha - and does it well. Characters are unforgettable and stay with you long after the disc stops playing, even the filler-esque episodes are entertaining and funny - heck, it's just great. If you haven't watched it, please do :3
 
Jul 8, 2008 2:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
Napalmbrain said:
Cihan said:
Even more underrated: Texhnolyze. First episode was intentionally made like that to scare off weaklings! C'mon, golf clap at least?

Seriously? Because I actually wanted to watch that series, but that first episode really, really put me off. The first episode should be where you try to give your audience a good impression so that they will continue to watch your series- it should not try to scare them off.


Yep, I read the director or whoever specifically said they made that first episode like that to scare certain viewers off. I actually wish the entire anime was like that, just moody and without dialogue.

And actually, the director is going about things the right way in my opinion. The first episode is to hook people he wants to enjoy the show, and being that this is a cyberpunk story, he wants 'casual' viewers who arent into abstract thought-provoking narrative to piss off.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 8, 2008 3:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 710
I really liked the first episode of Texnolyze, but the next two turned me off and I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore.
 
Jul 8, 2008 3:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 215
Most overrated in my opinion is FullMetal Alchemist. This show seems to be claimed as a masterpiece, but I just see way to many flaws with it and don't consider it to be a good show.

Other ones that I believe to be overrated are Akira, Ghost in the Shell (just didn't enjoy them) and to a lesser extent Eureka seveN and Ranma 1/2 just b/c I don't think they are rated as highly as the first three I mentioned.

Underrated - Requiem from the Darkness - probably the best horror anime going and has a really unique, but cool look and the show has a great style. Good episodic stories and music round it out.

Futakoi Alternative - probably the best show I've seen that pulls of mutiple genre changes. Starts out as a crazy, insane comedy action show and finishes as a series drama romance show, but still keeps some of the same action

Aishiteruze Baby - just one of the sweetest most charming series I've ever seen.

On a side note anyone else think that too many people list shows like Dragonball Z, Naruto and kids shows. My take is that if a bunch of 10 year old kids think a show Roxz!!! then that doesn't really count as making it overrated. Just my view on it.

 
Jul 8, 2008 3:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 468
the_seventh_l said:
Overrated:Ouran High School Host Club: Not that funny, it's just a reverse harem and yet everyone's calling it groundbreaking.
No kidding. It's the same joke again and again about the rich kids and the poor kids, blahblahblah.

Napalmbrain said:
Overrated: Gantz- Generally seemed like it was written by 13 year old boys.
I thought that was the film 300? xD I can see how you might think that, but it really does delve into the weaknesses in people, etc., at least what I saw of it.

Underrated: Excel Saga- I know a lot of people knock it, but I thought it was brilliantly funny. Well, at least when it wasn't trying to be serious, anyway.
Agreed. I really think it's funnier than a lot of the shows the cheesy comedies that are popular, maybe because it parodies all those shows, lol.

I'm going to give Moyashimon (yay, microbio!) and Texhnolyze a shot, Texhnolyze for the second time, lol. I dropped it because I didn't really catch what was going on in the first ep, not because I mind thought-provoking shows or anything. I didn't want to be mystified for 26 eps, lol.
 
Jul 8, 2008 3:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
new_user said:
I'm going to give Texhnolyze a shot, Texhnolyze for the second time, lol. I dropped it because I didn't really catch what was going on in the first ep, not because I mind thought-provoking shows or anything. I didn't want to be mystified for 26 eps, lol.


It's definitely not for everyone, and I wont claim its an uber clever masterpiece or anything, but it does explain everything by the end, and does have a pretty thought-provoking story. Give it a shot!

I thought Moyashimon was pretty hilarious at times, definitely a surreal vibe going through that show, but it kind of meandered to an end and has a really "WTF" twist that feels like it belongs in another show entirely.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 8, 2008 4:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3744
Do people really need to put "IMO"? I mean it's obvious it's your opinion.-.-
 
Jul 8, 2008 4:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
Gunbladewarrior said:
Do people really need to put "IMO"? I mean it's obvious it's your opinion.-.-


Its good to clarify when you're providing your opinion or if you're declaring a fact. 'imo' is a get out of jail card, as in "Oh, well since you said it's your opinion you're entitled to it, and I wont shred you to pieces if you'd said your piece as if it were solid fact. Bitch."
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 8, 2008 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 386
vault-dweller said:
Most overrated in my opinion is FullMetal Alchemist. This show seems to be claimed as a masterpiece, but I just see way to many flaws with it and don't consider it to be a good show.


Omg I know I'mat ep 30 and filllers are too many. The story is like inching by so slowly it seems, I think I'm at story rightnow.. well some fillers are fun but fight scenes are not itneresting to me and THAT DMAN fight scene with the armor losers took 3 episodes? for what? so Ican watch al dodge for 3episodes? godddd. Perhaps it's the shonen thing...

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
 
Jul 8, 2008 5:25 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 409
midori- said:
vault-dweller said:
Most overrated in my opinion is FullMetal Alchemist. This show seems to be claimed as a masterpiece, but I just see way to many flaws with it and don't consider it to be a good show.


Omg I know I'mat ep 30 and filllers are too many. The story is like inching by so slowly it seems, I think I'm at story rightnow.. well some fillers are fun but fight scenes are not itneresting to me and THAT DMAN fight scene with the armor losers took 3 episodes? for what? so Ican watch al dodge for 3episodes? godddd. Perhaps it's the shonen thing...


I thought I was the only one here who thought FMA was actually nowhere near being
a masterpiece, its a decent anime that I finished I'll give it that but I only managed to finished it coz half of the time I was just playing Ghost Recon/Socom/COD while watching it,and I only did it just for the sake of quenching my curiosity of what made this anime so famous? And I agree, there was no actual decent action there, that episode was just straight up boring, in fact I pretty much dozed off the whole anime.
Im a shounen type but imo FMA was just plain over-rated.
 
Jul 8, 2008 5:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
Well if you're watching FMA for action of course you're going to be disappointed. (even though the anime does do creative things in its action scenes due to alchemic powers, honestly you cant please everyone, eh?)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 8, 2008 5:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 348
When I see anime top list here on MAL, then I must say that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is overrated.

Underrated - well, I don't agree with positions of many animes on this list. For example, I can't believe that Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou is ranked 310th...

I can't agree with anyone that Death Note and Code Geass are overrated :D
 
Jul 8, 2008 6:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 843
I love FMA and I don't consider it overated but its not underrated either. It's a serious Anime with some humorous moments but it's not for everyone. I truly believe it's a Masterpiece. After Monster, it's the greatest series I ever saw.

CCZilla said:
Underrated:
-Lucky Star (More anime need to be about nothing. The characters are engaging and the first 10 minutes of episode 1 is, dare I say it, UNIQUE [something most anime fans seem to hate nowadays])


Underrated? Did you see the ratings for it on this site? Unique? What's unique about girls going to school, watching anime and talking about food? You fail. Try again.
 
Jul 8, 2008 6:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
new_user said:
Napalmbrain said:
Overrated: Gantz- Generally seemed like it was written by 13 year old boys.
I thought that was the film 300? xD I can see how you might think that, but it really does delve into the weaknesses in people, etc., at least what I saw of it.

True, but at least 300 didn't take itself seriously. Also, most of the cast of Gantz suffer more or less from the same weakness (i.e. being unlikeable jerks for no apparent reason).

Cihan said:
I thought Moyashimon was pretty hilarious at times, definitely a surreal vibe going through that show, but it kind of meandered to an end and has a really "WTF" twist that feels like it belongs in another show entirely.

Aye, I felt that twist came totally out of nowhere, and ended up feeling awkward and tacked on. But it's only a minor complaint, I'd say the series as a whole is well worth watching.
Modified by Napalmbrain, Jul 9, 2008 3:53 AM
 
Jul 8, 2008 10:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 0
Cihan said:

gr33nhippo said:
Underrated:

Umm not to sure if these would constitute as underrated or not... but anyways:
-Evangelion (see a lot of haters out there)


Ah yes, perhaps one of, if not THE most famous anime in the history of the medium is underrated? Okdokey then.

Recap on underrated definition people:

"to rate or evaluate too low; underestimate." - The Dictionary

Therefore, underrated becomes synonymous with 'not many people have seen it' as well as the usual 'people keep bashing/ignoring it unfairly!' reason.

Therefore Eva has no place in this thread, its seen by billions, its basically the Star Wars of modern anime, its either rated accurately, or its overrated. M'kay? I choose rated accurately, but that's irrelevent. Like the scratch on my elbow. Totally irrelevent.



Umm.... relax much? Seriously, I said (if you can read it this time) "not to sure if these would constitute as underrated or not...". That doesn't mean I need someone like you to spell out for me what underrated means, M'kay?

And comparing it to Star Wars isn't helping your side of the argument much, since Star Wars is bashed by millions of people, which fits your definition of "underrated". M'kay?

Anyways this thread is for people to voice their opinions; not for you to tell them what their opinions can and cannot be. Overrated/Underrated is more or less a matter personal perception; how you perceive the anime, and how those around you perceive it. And not everyone has the same demographic of people hanging around them as you do. Okdokey then.
 
Jul 8, 2008 11:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
I don't see how an anime(Eva in this case) being famous has anything to do with how underrated or overrated someone sees it to be. You get an understanding for how others rate an anime by what you hear/see about it compared to your personal view of it. That is why you see so much diversity in this thread. I can see why gr33n says Eva is underrated, mainly due to the group of people who dismiss it and act as if it isn't a good series.

Napalmbrain said:
Overrated:
Gantz- Generally seemed like it was written by 13 year old boys. It's basically just a lot of pointless violence, swearing and sexual references. I have no problems with those things, but in this series they were just there as if it was supposed to make the show look more mature. Also, the pacing is dreadful (I dropped it on episode 9, where they spent the entire episode arguing with each other).

That argument is quite the cheap shot. You can find many animes that have traits that appear to be trying to appeal to someone around 13 years old, including Minami-ke and Haruhi... Except for 13 year old girls instead of boys. Not to mention you are judging that it is overrated without seeing the whole thing(or the manga for that matter).
Modified by 4saken, Jul 9, 2008 12:30 AM
 
Jul 9, 2008 12:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 763
kirAth-shiAue said:
I love FMA and I don't consider it overated but its not underrated either. It's a serious Anime with some humorous moments but it's not for everyone. I truly believe it's a Masterpiece. After Monster, it's the greatest series I ever saw.
Underrated? Did you see the ratings for it on this site? Unique? What's unique about girls going to school, watching anime and talking about food? You fail. Try again.

Not for everyone? Did you see its rank in popularity + its ratings on this site? Serious? What's so serious about an overdone story about children in a war setting, failing at being emo and creating worthless drama? You fail. Try again.

I'm sorry, it was just too easy.

I actually didn't think Fullmetal Alchemist was bad at all, though I do think it's a tad overrated. Funny and lighthearted at times, serious when it needed to, action that doesn't bore you, production values were commendable, but the characters definitely needed work, the plot really wasn't very unique, not nearly consistent enough, and an ending that came out of nowhere.
It's a good series, just not that good.

EDIT: And yeah, 300 was supposed to seem like it was written by 13-year olds. It's pretty much a lesser Gurren Lagann that cut out most of the good stuff except epicness.
Regarding Gurren Lagann's overrated-ness: It probably is. Why? Because it makes you regress. It makes you shed your mannerisms and level head and act like a man. You throw away all intelligence and yell at your screen. It's simply inspiring.
Modified by qtip, Jul 9, 2008 12:20 AM
 
Jul 9, 2008 12:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1629
Most overrated?

I agree on Gurren Lagann being most overrated. It's nice, but it's not THE masterpiece of all times. Death Note would be another example. The first half is very nice, but how can a show with such a weak 2nd half be rated so good?

Underrated:

IMO, the Maria-sama ga Miteru season are very underrated. It's just beautiful and full of great characters. It's serious yet funny and light, just heartwarming and it's so different from normal animes. It's also not really mainly a shoujo-ai love story. I understand that it's too boring for most ppl watching it. But I really think it's underrated.
 
Jul 9, 2008 1:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 506
most underrated: Street Fighter II V !!!

most overrated: Elfen Lied, Fullmoon wa Sagashite, Onegai Teacher, FMA....and most popular shows
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
4saken said:
Napalmbrain said:
Overrated:
Gantz- Generally seemed like it was written by 13 year old boys. It's basically just a lot of pointless violence, swearing and sexual references. I have no problems with those things, but in this series they were just there as if it was supposed to make the show look more mature. Also, the pacing is dreadful (I dropped it on episode 9, where they spent the entire episode arguing with each other).

That argument is quite the cheap shot. You can find many animes that have traits that appear to be trying to appeal to someone around 13 years old, including Minami-ke and Haruhi... Except for 13 year old girls instead of boys. Not to mention you are judging that it is overrated without seeing the whole thing(or the manga for that matter).

Perhaps the manga is better, but that's besides the point, since we're talking about the anime here. And unless that anime somehow significantly improved in the last few episodes, I'd say 9/13 episodes is a fair enough basis to judge it by.

And I'd have to disagree with you on Haruhi and Minami-ke. They may indeed appeal to teenage girls (although I think we can all agree they're not the only target audience), but IMO both of them are a lot more mature than Gantz, and significantly better written.
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 164
Overatted: One Piece, FLCL, Naruto

Underrated: Outlaw Star, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis(original), Blue Seed, Blue Submarine No. 6

But that is just what I think.
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4609
I guess the entire idea of 'objectivity' is dead in MAL world. People will dig up its remains years from now and show them off in museums.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
 
Jul 9, 2008 10:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4017
kirAth-shiAue said:
Unique? What's unique about girls going to school, watching anime and talking about food?


Making it entertainment. That's unique.

qtipbrit92 said:
I actually didn't think Fullmetal Alchemist was bad at all, though I do think it's a tad overrated. Funny and lighthearted at times, serious when it needed to, action that doesn't bore you, production values were commendable, but the characters definitely needed work, the plot really wasn't very unique, not nearly consistent enough, and an ending that came out of nowhere.
It's a good series, just not that good.


This is spot-on. It's ridiculous how much they managed to mess up such perfect starting material as the manga. If only they could have waited for a few years, they could have gone along with the original story, which is neither a mess nor full of ad hoc.

I'll add Top wo Nerae 1 & 2 to the Underrated pile. Maybe Underwatched is more exact, but the scores they are getting are a tad bit on the low side. They are worlds apart in exactly everything except scope - yet still they fit together, organically, complement eachother. Ideas run amok, directing is top-notch, graphics are old-school beautiful (1), or FLCL-style colourful and energetic. Sure, they are not fine-polished jewels: they are more raw, magma-dripping stones of pure gold drawn from the core of creativity.

They need your luurv.
How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read. | Report rules abuse | Your Panel | Clubs | Messages | Forum | Recent
<img src="http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4672/stuhlbarg.png" />
 
Jul 9, 2008 11:30 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 151
overrated: naruto, bleach, cowboy bebop, Elfen Lied, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Neon Genesis Evangelion, most stuff from studio ghibli.
im not saying theyre bad, i actually like all these titles, but theyre just a little overrated to me.

underrate: major, gintama
 
Jul 9, 2008 1:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 61
Overrated: TTGL & Elfen Lied
Underrated: Gintama
 
Jul 9, 2008 1:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Napalmbrain said:

Perhaps the manga is better, but that's besides the point, since we're talking about the anime here. And unless that anime somehow significantly improved in the last few episodes, I'd say 9/13 episodes is a fair enough basis to judge it by.

Gantz is a 26 episode series... ~_~ Also did you watch the censored or uncensored version?
Napalmbrain said:

And I'd have to disagree with you on Haruhi and Minami-ke. They may indeed appeal to teenage girls (although I think we can all agree they're not the only target audience), but IMO both of them are a lot more mature than Gantz, and significantly better written.

Not to forget that you are also judging how "mature" and well written Gantz is on seeing less than half of what was probably only the heavily censored version, while you are judging Minami-ke and Haruhi on the whole series... Which really doesn't say much for the legitimacy of your judgment.
Napalmbrain said:

(although I think we can all agree they're not the only target audience)

Yes, just like 13 year old boys are not Gantz's only target audience.
Modified by 4saken, Jul 9, 2008 1:28 PM
 
Jul 9, 2008 1:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1629
kirAth-shiAue said:

CCZilla said:
Underrated:
-Lucky Star (More anime need to be about nothing. The characters are engaging and the first 10 minutes of episode 1 is, dare I say it, UNIQUE [something most anime fans seem to hate nowadays])


Underrated? Did you see the ratings for it on this site? Unique? What's unique about girls going to school, watching anime and talking about food? You fail. Try again.


Okey dokey, how about the fact that everywhere I turn, someone is complaining at how the first 10 minutes of the show suck and don't give the show a second chance? And besides, the concept you outlined is in fact unique for an anime. It's certainly unique when compared to the fan-service or bishounen filled crap that most anime companies shovel out every year.

Yes, it's high scored, but what I'm saying is that it's underrated because people base their opinion on the show on the first 10 minutes. What about the animation? Or characters? Dialogue?

"Nope, watching people talk about ways to eat food in comic fashion is unoriginal. Now, excuse me while I watch Code Geass, a show that's original because the lead is like Light Yagami only he has an ultra-powerful EYE that he uses to change the world around his personal needs!"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jul 9, 2008 2:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 61


Okey dokey, how about the fact that everywhere I turn, someone is complaining at how the first 10 minutes of the show suck and don't give the show a second chance? And besides, the concept you outlined is in fact unique for an anime. It's certainly unique when compared to the fan-service or bishounen filled crap that most anime companies shovel out every year.

Yes, it's high scored, but what I'm saying is that it's underrated because people base their opinion on the show on the first 10 minutes. What about the animation? Or characters? Dialogue?

"Nope, watching people talk about ways to eat food in comic fashion is unoriginal. Now, excuse me while I watch Code Geass, a show that's original because the lead is like Light Yagami only he has an ultra-powerful EYE that he uses to change the world around his personal needs!"

Who are these people you speak of? Id say the majority would watch it for at least an episode..
Yagami Light's original ? news to me
 
Jul 9, 2008 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 763
Bluey said:
Who are these people you speak of? Id say the majority would watch it for at least an episode..
Yagami Light's original ? news to me

You can probably find them if you looked, but I also haven't seen many myself.
I think it's probably because of a certain troll review for Lucky Star that popped up a short time back.

And naw, the argument was that Lelouch is similar to Light, who's just a typical bastard, so he was a copy of a copy.
 
Jul 9, 2008 3:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
4saken said:
Gantz is a 26 episode series... ~_~ Also did you watch the censored or uncensored version?

Uncensored, I think.

Not to forget that you are also judging how "mature" and well written Gantz is on seeing less than half of what was probably only the heavily censored version, while you are judging Minami-ke and Haruhi on the whole series... Which really doesn't say much for the legitimacy of your judgment.

So tell me then, does the series really change in any major way after episode 9? Do they up the pace and introduce some cleverer, more interesting dialogue and scripts?

Why is it such a big deal that I didn't finish the series anyway? It stands to reason that if I get tired of a series then of course I'm going to ditch it. I considered it too crap to be worth wasting any more time on, and saw no signs that it was going to get any better.
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Napalmbrain said:

So tell me then, does the series really change in any major way after episode 9? Do they up the pace and introduce some cleverer, more interesting dialogue and scripts?

Not all animes are all about a clever script. Some are about animation, others about comedy and romance, among others. It just happens that Gantz is a bit original in that category, more like Kaiji. But you will just have to watch the whole series to see for yourself.
Napalmbrain said:

Why is it such a big deal that I didn't finish the series anyway? It stands to reason that if I get tired of a series then of course I'm going to ditch it.

Well how would you like it if I watched just 2 eps of Haruhi and said it sucked. That is about the same thing. You really have to watch a series before you can pass any kind valid judgment. You can't expect your opinion to be taken seriously when you don't even know the series' length.
Napalmbrain said:

I considered it too crap to be worth wasting any more time on, and saw no signs that it was going to get any better.

By saying that you lost any validity that your opinion had on the series IMO.

Anyways, enough said. I really don't care if you like it or not. Just your original comment was a cheap shot that could be turned on almost any anime, which was my point.
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
4saken said:
Not all animes are all about a clever script. Some are about animation, others about comedy and romance, among others. It just happens that Gantz is a bit original in that category, more like Kaiji. But you will just have to watch the whole series to see for yourself.

Fail. In any TV show, good comedy and romance come from a good script.

Well how would you like it if I watched just 2 eps of Haruhi and said it sucked. That is about the same thing. You really have to watch a series before you can pass any kind valid judgment. You can't expect your opinion to be taken seriously when you don't even know the series' length.

I wouldn't mind at all. I can appreciate that not everyone will like it.

Anyways, enough said. I really don't care if you like it or not. Just your original comment was a cheap shot that could be turned on almost any anime, which was my point.

I accused it of being childish, when it's supposedly meant for adults (hence that R 17+ rating). How is that a cheap shot?
 
Jul 9, 2008 4:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Napalmbrain said:

Fail. In any TV show, good comedy and romance come from a good script.

It is not smart to strawman my argument if you intend to argue against it.

So you missed the point, that may be true in a comedy anime, but not all animes are comedy and romance(nor did I argue that good comedy animes do not require a clever script, you made that up as an attempt to strawman what I was saying).

Others genres(like in Gantz) have many likable traits that do not revolve around a clever script. More of a failure on your part for completely missing the point and trying to argue against a strawman that you made. lol..

But you've seen what, 25 tv series'? Maybe you haven't seen enough to realize that there are genres out there that include angst, thriller, action, horror and tragedy. That are not always revolving around cleverness of script.

If you mean a clever story then Gantz has a very clever one, not an extremely clever script in what they say tho, it's not comedy...

Napalmbrain said:

I wouldn't mind at all. I can appreciate that not everyone will like it.

Not to go on a tangent, but yeah. You would also likely take their opinion like a gain of salt. Which is what I'm saying yours is when it comes to Gantz. ;P You won't catch me passing judgment on an anime that I have seen little of if I expect to be taken seriously.
Napalmbrain said:

I accused it of being childish, when it's supposedly meant for adults (hence that R 17+ rating). How is that a cheap shot?

The rating is due to nudity and gore. The cheap shot was that you said you thought it was written for 13 year old boys(or specifically appealing to them). Which like I said can be turned on almost any anime. And therefore is a completely biased cheap shot argument that holds no validity.
Modified by 4saken, Jul 9, 2008 5:53 PM
 
Jul 9, 2008 6:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 251
4saken said:
Napalmbrain said:

Fail. In any TV show, good comedy and romance come from a good script.

It is not smart to strawman my argument if you intend to argue against it.

So you missed the point, that may be true in a comedy anime, but not all animes are comedy and romance(nor did I argue that good comedy animes do not require a clever script, you made that up as an attempt to strawman what I was saying).

Others genres(like in Gantz) have many likable traits that do not revolve around a clever script. More of a failure on your part for completely missing the point and trying to argue against a strawman that you made. lol..

But you've seen what, 25 tv series'? Maybe you haven't seen enough to realize that there are genres out there that include angst, thriller, action, horror and tragedy. That are not always revolving around cleverness of script.

If you mean a clever story then Gantz has a very clever one, not an extremely clever script in what they say tho, it's not comedy...

Perhaps I phrased it wrongly. By "clever scripting", perhaps I should have said "good scripting". All shows need a good script. It can be funny, smart, deliberately stupid, or whatever, but it has to create something enjoyable for the viewer. And it's my opinion that Gantz was poorly written and terribly paced.

And what does seeing 25 series have to do with anything? Is my opinion somehow less worthy because I haven't watched trillions of anime series? There's a decent variety in the ones I've seen so far (which more or less cover every genre you mentioned, by the way), plus of course I've also seen many non-anime TV shows.
Modified by Napalmbrain, Jul 9, 2008 6:26 PM
 
Jul 9, 2008 6:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Napalmbrain said:

Perhaps I phrased it wrongly. By "clever scripting", perhaps I should have said "good scripting". All shows need a good script. It can be funny, smart, deliberately stupid, or whatever, but it has to create something enjoyable for the viewer. And it's my opinion that Gantz was poorly written and terribly paced.

Oh ok, now since "good" is extremely subjective, sure. I won't attempt to say what is a "good" thing for a character to say based on your subjectivity... Often one person finds something to be good, while another does not. While "clever" is a much more defined term. But in that case I would surely say Gantz has a "good" script. :)
Napalmbrain said:

And what does seeing 25 series have to do with anything?

It has to do with the possibility that you have not seen an anime that has a genre that does not require a "clever script".
Napalmbrain said:

Is my opinion somehow less worthy because I haven't watched trillions of anime series?

Again you are strawmanning what I said. I did not say your opinion is less worth "because you have not seen so many animes". Read what I typed again and you may realize that I was addressing the fact that you have not seen the whole anime. And did not have anythign to do with how many animes you have seen. Please stop strawmanning what I am saying and argue against what I am actually saying. If you don't notice the strawman fallacies you are committing you may want to read here.
Napalmbrain said:

There's a decent variety in the ones I've seen so far (which more or less cover every genre you mentioned, by the way), plus of course I've also seen many non-anime TV shows.

So you will realize that a clever script is not totally necessary in an angst/thriller type anime. There are even animes that have no voices at all that many consider to be good.
Modified by 4saken, Jul 9, 2008 7:00 PM
 
Jul 9, 2008 7:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 15715
Napalm, why don't you have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up? Seriously, you have failed life. You can't say a series sucks unless you have watched the whole thing. Episodes 10-21 Gantz gets really good. But you wouldn't know that right, because you stopped it early.

Oh, and good script doesn't always make a good movie/anime. What about Silent Era movies, I suppose you hate them.
I'm back.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (200) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »