Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (200) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

Aug 13, 2008 4:37 PM

Overrated:
- Lucky Star. I'm speechless about this s**t. Food anime for lolicons.
- Dragon Ball. Most overrated anime EVER. Nothing more to say.
- Naruto. Obviously overrated by all the Narutards.
- Fullmetal Alchemist. INCREDIBLY OVERRATED.
- One Piece. It's nice, but FAR from being awesome.
- School Days. It's TRASH, and it's rated 7.14. You're kidding me.
- FLCL. Wtf.

Underrated:
- Excel Saga. This is an amazing anime that never got enough love.
- Yu-Gi-Oh (Duel Monsters). Not the 4kids anime that everyone think it is.
- HunterXHunter. One of the best shounen ever, geez!
- Samurai 7. It was really good.
- Ranma 1/2. It's RANMA O_o a cult that has been forgotten imo.
Oh and
Monkey_D_Luffy said:
Underrated: Trigun. Why? It's the definition of masterpiece. It's pretty popular, but should be rated higher definitely.

110% agree.

Gunbladewarrior said:
Overrated- Cowboy bebop(It's good and all, but not as good as I thought it would be)

You have some serious issues, dude.

Aug 14, 2008 12:10 PM

RenaPsychoKiller said:
Overrated:
- Lucky Star. I'm speechless about this s**t. Food anime for lolicons.
- Dragon Ball. Most overrated anime EVER. Nothing more to say.
- Naruto. Obviously overrated by all the Narutards.
- Fullmetal Alchemist. INCREDIBLY OVERRATED.
- One Piece. It's nice, but FAR from being awesome.
- School Days. It's TRASH, and it's rated 7.14. You're kidding me.
- FLCL. Wtf.

omg I can't believ school days is rated that high and YEAH FMA IS SOOOOOOOO OVERRAED.

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Aug 14, 2008 1:00 PM
Mink said:
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is extremly overrated in my eyes >.<

agreed... i hated it. hate is a strong word. it didn't really appeal to me at all... i got bored halfway through.

Aug 16, 2008 1:43 AM

Overrated: Shakugan No Shana (THIS IS SEVERELY OVER RATED), Fate/Stay Night,

Underrated: Shura No Toki, Busou Renkin, 12 kingdoms

Aug 16, 2008 7:32 AM

Otakkun said:
Mink said:
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is extremly overrated in my eyes >.<

agreed... i hated it. hate is a strong word. it didn't really appeal to me at all... i got bored halfway through.

Haruhi = over-rated and boring?
Nah, the anime deserves the attention it gets. Not over-rated and not boring at all. There's a reason why it's my favorite anime.^_^

Over-rated = Naruto, Bleach, Shakugan no Shana, and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (didn't like it for some reasons)

Under-rated = Hayate no Gotoku! (one of the best anime out there) and Black Cat.

That's all I guess

Aug 16, 2008 7:51 AM

Am not gone say anything about series like Naruto, Bleach or One piece because if they are overrated is a matter of perception. For some they are amazing for others not so much. Is a matter of taste. I will only say about Pokemon witch is a stupid no brain, no real scenario bullshit that for some strange reason is known every ware in the world.

Now in the underrated i will say D.Gray Man that is as good as the other shounen big series but not as famous. Blood+ witch is a classic value like Full Metal Alchemist(different style off cource) but not recognized by everyone and Busou Renkin a not very famous but good shounen series.

Aug 16, 2008 12:12 PM

Overrated: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Code Geass R2

Underrated: Baccano, Denno Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Terra e..., Kaiji

Aug 16, 2008 12:17 PM
MysteriousMerlin said:
popular =/= overrated. Naruto has been my favorite anime from the start. Bleach is high on my favorite list as well.

One severely underrated anime is Hunter x Hunter. One of the best shounen animes out there.

Man you hit it right on the ball with Hunter X Hunter.... That is really a good anime

Aug 16, 2008 12:27 PM
Ametatsu said:
Overrated: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Underrated: Uh... Damekko Doubutsu? o_O

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTT about Gurren Lagann. it is good, but to be rated with a 9.0 and rank # 1 is so so so so so so overated.

Aug 16, 2008 12:53 PM

Neon Genesis Evangelion overrated? This anime is one of those you love or hate things. If you understand it you say it's a masterpiece if you don't get it then you say that it's not just overrated but a complete bullshit.
This anime can't be overrated.

Aug 16, 2008 12:53 PM

overrated: fate stay night. mediocre characters/plot/ending/everything.
underrated: kaiji, really nice anime with interesting concepts and drama.

Aug 16, 2008 1:49 PM

Underrated: Ookiku Furikabutte

Such a shame that the subs finally finished when the anime is already a year old.

Aug 16, 2008 1:52 PM

Overrated

Code Geass - While I understand why people enjoy this show neither season deserves to be as high as they are on here. I would touch upon that more, but at this point I think I would be thrashing a deceased equine by doing so.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Again, I can understand why people enjoy this. I too dabbled in laughing at lolis killing each other with terrible animation. Yet the series enjoys an 8.59 rating on MAL? Even if I ignore the animation, the contorted, silly storylines, and the amount of time wasted on exposition I still can't see anything worth rating that highly.

Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE - Admittedly I am a rather big EVA fan, but I cannot understand why this film is ranked in the Top 30. Sure it's nice that there was actually an EVA remake with some new animation for once I guess, but for the most part this was basically just the first 6 episodes of the TV series with very little new or interesting added. What makes that worse is that the first 4 episodes are probably the worst part of the series.

Underrated

Millennium Actress - All of Satoshi Kon's films are underrated on MAL for whatever reason (and seem to lack viewers as well), but since I consider this the best of his works I find it to be the most underrated. While most turn to Ghibli films when attempting to convert someone to anime I think this and Tokyo Godfathers are just as good if not better choices. This especially is a much more mature piece of animation than most and has a lot of heart while still retaining the qualities that make people love anime. Watching Chiyoko's life story told through the films she has starred in not only makes for some exciting and beautiful scenes, but it also leaves the viewer wondering what happened in reality and what is just part of a fictional story. So give this film some more love MAL users.

Shigurui - This series is a lot more than most can handle and it's easy to get distracted from the real point of it, but when it comes to a good historic depiction of samurai rather than the romanticized versions you see everywhere I doubt there are many series as good as this one. While I'm not going to advocate watching it since if you can't handle or don't like this kind of thing there's no way you're going to see what makes it such a good show I definitely feel this should be rated higher than it is.

Dennou Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Kino's Journey, Gankutsuou, Mononoke, and Kaiba - While it may seem kind of silly to say series in the Top 60 on here are underrated I can't help but feel these six need to be mentioned. They're all Top 20 Anime or very close to it for me (from what I've seen mind you) and I think they could all really use more viewers. Kino has the most at 5,909 which doesn't seem so bad until you notice series like FMA with 28,199 and Haruhi with 23,508. So, much like Kon's films, I ask MAL users to give them a chance.

Over-hated

Lucky Star - I never got all of the hate for this show. I'm pretty sure it's well documented as being an otaku-centric comedy that relies more on talking about/making fun of subjects rather than slapstick and gags like most comedy anime. So unless you watched it right when it first came out you should've known exactly what to expect from it.

Sep 16, 2008 6:09 AM

Monad said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion overrated? This anime is one of those you love or hate things. If you understand it you say it's a masterpiece if you don't get it then you say that it's not just overrated but a complete bullshit.

Or you understand but you hate religious stuff combined with mecha. Everyone has a right to like or dislike what they see. It's not the point of understanding or not, look at some people who do not know English very well, they rate their anime with a score of seven, eight, nine, TEN. Even if a guy who doesn't understand a thing in NGE, but rates it with 10 just because of the action that would make him look like he's uber smart and he understood everything?

Sep 16, 2008 12:17 PM

Guess some ppl mentioned it, but
overrated: Lucky star, Haruhi Suzumiya (Naruto ? huge fanbase and huge anti fan base xD)
underrated: Gintama, HunterxHunter,

Sep 16, 2008 1:07 PM

Monad said:

Even if I could work out what the hell was going on at the end, I still wouldn't give it a higher rating than I did (6/10), because it's so utterly boring when it gpes into its psychoanalysis mode (not to mention the show's rather jarring moments where it attempts to be funny).

Sep 16, 2008 2:28 PM

Overrated: Mushishi

Underrated: Gungrave and Hunter x hunter, these two are amazing

Sep 17, 2008 6:47 AM

Setsukyie said:

Haruhi.
Not over-rated and not boring at all.

I was bored.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Sep 17, 2008 7:17 AM
Overrated: Elfen Lied, Paranoia Agent, Fate/Stay night, Mushishi, Chevalier D'Eon
Underrated: One Piece, HxH

Sep 17, 2008 7:48 AM
overrated Naruto
underrated Hunter X Hunter and Detective Conan

Sep 17, 2008 7:51 AM

Overrated: Code Gease.

It was boring all the way from start. D:

"One day, we'll set out to sea! And live our lives the way we want!!" - Ace to Luffy, both chasers of dreams

Sep 17, 2008 7:58 AM

Overrated shows: Pani Poni Dash, Chobits
Underrated shows: Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Kino's Journey

Not surprised to see all the Eva hate. D:

Sep 17, 2008 2:31 PM

Overrated shows: Naruto
Underrated shows: Futakoi Alternative

Sep 17, 2008 3:23 PM

url_elf said:
Overrated shows: Pani Poni Dash, Chobits
Underrated shows: Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Kino's Journey

Not surprised to see all the Eva hate. D:

Chobits isn't overrated...

Of course, this is my humble opinion.
(づ°‿°.)づ

Sep 18, 2008 5:30 AM

Overrated shows:
_Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: it's not bad but it does not deserve to be ranked #1, come on!
_Ouran High School Host Club: same jokes over and over...
_Devil May Cry: Score: 7.24 (scored by 6512 users), wtf? :o
_School Days: ...lol...

Underrated shows:
_All Satoshi Kon's work is underrated as someone already said.
_Neon Genesis Evangelion of course!
_Serial Experiments Lain.
Modified by Valmy, Sep 18, 2008 5:34 AM

Sep 18, 2008 8:52 AM

Overrated: Naruto, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (a total disapointment), Evangelion, Lucky ☆ Star (is still a very good anime but not that good), Air Gear (Stilish but a weak story), code geass (is good, but i dont see the big deal about it).

Underrated: Paranoia Agent (a great anime with an amazing story),Monster (a true masterpiece), Mushishi, Excel Saga (is not just insanity is studied and well made insanity).

Sep 18, 2008 9:57 AM

Umm...probably Fruits Basket (Overrated...sorry fans =() But I just dont get it, I mean it was a good anime and all but it didn't like thrill me and everyone else seemed to love it =S really sorry fans out there =X

Sep 18, 2008 5:45 PM
My vote for overrated anime goes to Death Note.

Tries too hard to be "clever" but fails :/

Sep 18, 2008 9:21 PM

Overrated: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Underrated: Magical Girl Squad Alice

Old avatar and sig retired for now.

Sep 19, 2008 1:16 AM

Overrated: Bleach, Naruto, SZS, Lucky Star - i personally like all this show, but...
5 Centimeters per Second - sometimes i think people love it just for graphic
Naruto Shippuden - average...

Underrated: Kaiji, Akagi, Detroit Metal City
One Piece - well, many people don't watch this(and go watch Naruto and Bleach) coz they don't like char-desighs, but i think it weird and Oda's style is ok.
Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess

Sep 20, 2008 2:13 PM

Overrated: Code Geass R2, Macross F
Underrated: Hitman Reborn, One Piece

Sep 20, 2008 4:04 PM

hate to say it but i think that haruhi suzumiya is overrated :P (although in my top 5 fav anime)

Sep 20, 2008 4:10 PM

Most overrated anime ever: Naruto, then Haruhi, probably after that Bleach and Lucky Star. Unfortunately, also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Which is strange, since it isn't licensed.

Fullmetal Alchemist may be as well, I am not sure and will have a stance as I get further into it.

Underrated: Real Drive. :(

Probably Gintama, too, most people don't even know what it is. Also Moyashimon, Oh Edo Rocket and Cromartie High School.

Sep 20, 2008 5:00 PM

Overrated Shows(my opinions, no offence!!!):

Azumanga Daioh.. Just stupidity...worst of all time...

History's strongest disciple Kenichi.. a terrible remake of DBZ.. beat the strong guy, then comes the stronger one... fight the stronger, beat him.. then here is the much stronger..fight him... noo not yet, here com-..bla bla...(DBZ, when considered the time it was produced, was a great success and still a fine anime, btw^^)

Cromartie High School... dont know.. i most probably watched the censored version of it, namely dvd xD it was AS BAD AS Azu...

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... an average anime, not bad, somewhat original, but thats all, really...

TTGL... boosted with the good artwork, buuut in the end, nothing more, a decent storyline, predictible plot, characters and so on...

Code Geass R2.. it is just a dishonor to the first season, almost nothing is what its supposed to be, odd flow, ridiculous twists and character developments etc...

5 Centimeters per Second... first chapter is good but the last two are just excrescent, lol XD

And here are the other honorable mentions for the overrated stuff: XD Darker than Black, Devil May Cry, Slam Dunk(incredibly repetitive!!!), Stranger - Mukoh Hadan(meh!), Vampire Knight etc...

I will just make a list of the anime series i find really underrated and wont write why i think this way, since i start writing about sth i love, i have a tendency to drag it on forever XD, here is the list of the underrated stuff:

FATE/STAY NIGHT
Toshokan Sensou
Detroit Metal City
Ryoko's Case File
Prince of Tennis

Sep 20, 2008 5:10 PM

Most overrated show? Any show that spawns a rabid fanbase that's unwilling to listen to criticism, and generally overreact to the slightest hint of disagreement of their opinion with trolling, net abuse, threats of violence, etc, etc

NOTE: We may have actually enjoyed the show more if it wasn't for idiots like them.

Most underrated show? Any show that is actually good, but doesn't get the recognition it deserves because of the whining, argumentative, petty, and just plain annoying behaviour of the unwashed, chinless, bucktoothed, god errors mentioned above

As for actual shows...

Examples of overrated shows - Death Note, NGE, Haruhi, Naruto, Bleach, Lucky Star, Code Geass, TTGL, etc, etc, etc...

I actually like some of those shows, but I'm honest enough to admit that they're overrated as well :)

Examples of underrated shows - Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan, Yoshinaga-san`chi no Gargoyle, Perfect Blue, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight, Shion no Ou, Real Drive, Himitsu, Flanders no Inu, Barefoot Gen, Steamboy, Roujin Z, Moyashimon, etc, etc, etc...

There's a whole host of shows out there that get virtually no recognition, even though they're often better than the standard fare everyone seems to enjoy watching. The big irony is that, in the past 13 pages of this thread, I've seen very few shows listed as underrated that weren't already well known.

Such a shame that many of you are still overlooking the hidden gems...

What a day! What a lovely Day!

Sep 20, 2008 5:51 PM

Valmy said:
Underrated shows:
_All Satoshi Kon's work is underrated as someone already said.
_Neon Genesis Evangelion of course!

Bwahahahaha..

Sep 20, 2008 8:01 PM

I just finished Cowboy Bebop and gave it a 7/10 if that says anything.

Sep 20, 2008 8:13 PM

Veronin said:
I just finished Cowboy Bebop and gave it a 7/10 if that says anything.

Most people watch it within the first 5 anime of their life, therefore, they rate it highly, but you're kind of late and don't apparently think that much of it.

Sep 20, 2008 8:14 PM

overrated - deathnote

underrated - gintama
lol

Sep 20, 2008 8:19 PM
Overrated: Seto no Hatanoyame - i didnt even finish it it was so bad; melancholy of haruhi suzimiya; lucky star.

underrated: nodame contabile should be a little more popular. the music is just fabulous and i dont even play an instrument.

Sep 20, 2008 8:50 PM

overated - naruto

underrated - viewtiful joe

Sep 21, 2008 2:05 AM

Overrated:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya(It's shit)

Code Geass both seasons(It's diarrhea shit)

Death note.(It's semi- shit)

TTGL

Lucky star(It's pure shit)

Neon genesis evangelion( Super overrated shit)

Fullmetal Alchemist.

Bleach.

Naruto.

Macross Frontier.

Sep 21, 2008 2:13 AM

KrylonBlue said:
Overrated:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya(It's shit)

Code Geass both seasons(It's diarrhea shit)

Death note.(It's semi- shit)

TTGL

Lucky star(It's pure shit)

Neon genesis evangelion( Super overrated shit)

Fullmetal Alchemist.

Bleach.

Naruto.

Macross Frontier.

Haha....I definitely agree with you on Eva :P

Sep 21, 2008 2:46 AM

Overrated Stuff:

Shakugan No Shana - indeed, Shana is amazing, but everything else just sucks! Everything aside from her is plain boring standard...
Trigun - it's okay, but I never got into the hype thing. The characters are not interesting at all (except from Wolfwood, of course! ;)) and especially Milly and Meryl really are a pain in the neck.
NGE - it's the most fucking overrated anime in the whole wo...but...wait...it has Misato and Rei...damn! Forget about this here! The hype is completely reasonable! XD
Noir - aside from the great music, this offers nothing. The fighting scenes are all the same and not entertaining at all.
Gantz - after offering a very nice concept this series degenerates into a self-repeating disappointing piece of crap. And the ending really sucks. Someone told me that the Manga is much better, but I won't buy it.

Underrated Stuff:
Nothing. Here at MAL there are so many idiots who give only 7-10 ratings (and 7 when the anime really sucked) so that even the worst series have almost the same average than the really good ones. Come on, we have a 1-10 rating system, you morons! ;P

Sep 21, 2008 2:53 AM

*sigh, hugs Elfen Lied, Gantz, and Death Note and covers their ears from the mean people*

Anywho..

Overrated- Ninja Scroll(not the series), Inuyasha, Naruto... all that jazz.

Underrated- Elfen Lied, Gantz, Gilgamesh, Trinity Blood, Busou Renkin
Modified by Tryphik1k, Sep 21, 2008 2:57 AM

Sep 21, 2008 6:26 AM

Overrated: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Blood+

Sep 21, 2008 7:59 AM

girl said:

That's good.

Oh and by the way, you aren't fooling anyone with your age.

Sep 21, 2008 8:13 AM

KrylonBlue said:
girl said:

That's good.

Oh and by the way, you aren't fooling anyone with your age.

Huh?? O_o

Sep 21, 2008 10:04 AM

Overrated - Naruto, One Piece
Underrated - Elfen Lied

Sep 21, 2008 7:29 PM

Overrated: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, NARUTO, FLCL

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (200) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »