Forum Settings
Forums

Top 25 Manga Properties for First and Second Quarters of 2011

New
Aug 20, 2011 11:16 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
ICv2 has released a list of the top 25 North American manga properties for the first and second quarters of 2011. The chart is based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers.

rank / title / (publisher)

*1 Naruto (Viz Media)
*2 Bleach (Viz Media)
*3 Vampire Knight (Viz Media)
*4 Black Butler (Yen Press)
*5 Death Note (Viz Media)
*6 Black Bird (Viz Media)
*7 Rosario+Vampire (Viz Media)
*8 Fullmetal Alchemist (Viz Media)
*9 Dragonball & DBZ (Viz Media)
10 Soul Eater (Yen Press)
11 One Piece (Viz Media)
12 Maximum Ride (Yen Press)
13 Alice in the Country of Hearts (Tokyopop)
14 Hetalia (Tokyopop)
15 Yu-Gi-Oh! (Viz Media)
16 Pandora Hearts (Yen Press)
17 Bakuman (Viz Media)
18 Fruits Basket (Tokyopop)
19 Dengeki Daisy (Viz Media)
20 D.Gray-man (Viz Media)
21 Yotsuba&!! (Yen Press)
22 Ouran High School Host Club (Viz Media)
23 Shugo Chara (Del Rey Manga)
24 K-On! (Yen Press)
25 Highschool of the Dead (Yen Press)

Source: ICv2
NaruleachAug 20, 2011 11:46 PM
p r o f i l e 👀
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 20, 2011 11:17 PM

Dec 2010
How was the HotD full color? I love me some mindless B-movie action.
Aug 20, 2011 11:21 PM

Mar 2009
Not surprising to see the top 2 titles..
Aug 20, 2011 11:23 PM

Sep 2009
You should add that this is North American data in the title, as I came away somewhat disappoint.
Aug 20, 2011 11:24 PM
Aug 2011
This doesn't completely surprise me.
Aug 20, 2011 11:32 PM

Jan 2009
notsureifsrs said:
How was the HotD full color? I love me some mindless B-movie action.

i almost forgot about this ill try looking for it like a pirate lol
Aug 20, 2011 11:34 PM

Nov 2007
viz is doing extremely well xD

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Aug 20, 2011 11:51 PM

Feb 2010
ah yea rosario vampire representing well
Aug 21, 2011 12:00 AM

Oct 2010
Way to Go Viz Media!

Glad to see Yotsuba Up there! Love that Manga!

& Keep the Bleach Comin'

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Aug 21, 2011 12:17 AM

Oct 2007
Naruleach said:
*7 Rosario+Vampire (Viz Media)
Shit tier ranking is shit tier.
Aug 21, 2011 12:33 AM

Apr 2009
Rosario, Vampire Knight, Naruto, Bleach... there's a lot of shit on that list.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 21, 2011 12:36 AM

May 2010
hhahaha americans have bad taste
Aug 21, 2011 12:38 AM

Feb 2007
Wait a sec, One Piece isn't even in the top 10?! What is wrong with this continent?!
Aug 21, 2011 12:39 AM

Aug 2009
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
Tokyopop only has 3 on this list.. tsk tsk Tokyopop.. (woah lol almost mistyped that as Tokyopoop xD). Marketing is not enough. <:

I'm not exactly surprised since, y'know, they don't market anymore. Since they closed their offices.

Kazeshini said:

You say that like it's anything new.
Aug 21, 2011 1:44 AM

Jun 2010
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
Kazeshini said:
I think it's more that they are sheep c:
ycart59 said:

Yeah its not too fun living and talking with people who know only about the not so great mangas that keep getting licensed.

Glad to see at least Highschool of the Dead made it up there.
Aug 21, 2011 2:19 AM

Jul 2008
Zeream said:
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
Kazeshini said:
I think it's more that they are sheep c:
ycart59 said:

Yeah its not too fun living and talking with people who know only about the not so great mangas that keep getting licensed.

Glad to see at least Highschool of the Dead made it up there.

Highschool of the Dead is shit. Pure, unleaded shit, no matter how you look at it.
Aug 21, 2011 2:23 AM

Dec 2010
AfterGlow said:

Highschool of the Dead is shit. Pure, unleaded shit, no matter how you look at it.

I disagree. Say what you want about the "mindlessness", fansevice, and such, but the art is great. The guns are not 3D images slapped onto the drawings, the artist actually goes and draws every single vehicle and gun.

That and it knows it's not serious. If you go in thinking it's some super dark serious shit, you went in for the wrong reasons. It's a B-action flick in manga form and it knows it.
Aug 21, 2011 2:39 AM

Jul 2008
notsureifsrs said:
AfterGlow said:

I disagree. Say what you want about the "mindlessness", fansevice, and such, but the art is great. The guns are not 3D images slapped onto the drawings, the artist actually goes and draws every single vehicle and gun.

That and it knows it's not serious. If you go in thinking it's some super dark serious shit, you went in for the wrong reasons. It's a B-action flick in manga form and it knows it.

Yeah, the unrealistic depiction of human physique and the tired cutesy look, great art. It has realistic looking weapons. I guess that's what passes for good art among the kids these days, and by default makes the manga good.

Hurr durr, it doesn't take itself serious, that makes it a masterpiece. It's a b-movie in manga form.

Yeah, b-movies. Now that's some serious quality going down there.
The dialouge is forced, the characters are one-dimensional and unlikable, the plot has no relevance to anything going on, the art is generic and the amount of fan-service is sickening.

It is shit, not a single thing about it is good.
Aug 21, 2011 3:10 AM

Dec 2010
I think you're missing my point.

You state that because it's not serious it's not a masterpiece. Of course it's so. Nobody was reading this thinking it was DEEP.
It's just for fun and that's exactly it's goal. Never was it serious.
Dawn of the Dead wasn't entirely serious. Night of the Living Dead wasn't either.
The main characters in those are both human and inhuman for making sacrifices, ending up "worse than the monsters themselves". That's exactly what HotD did. There's little difference between HotD and the fun parts of DotD when they're screwing around before the ending where everything goes to hell.

The artist loves classic settings. FireFireFire is a throwback to classic shounen 80's/90's anime/manga. It's set in a futuristic western setting abundant with outlaws and oppressive "government". Triage X is a vigilante setting featuring characters with faded, "hypocritical" morals.

Besides that, the artist's style is distinctive and easily recognizable, far from generic.

But you're entitled to your own opinions and I can respect them. Daisuke Satou may not write great plots, but I see HotD and other Shouji Satou works as fun romps in old grounds.
Aug 21, 2011 3:39 AM

Sep 2010
I'm glad Pandora Hearts and Maximum Ride made it I love those two series.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 21, 2011 3:41 AM

Jul 2008
notsureifsrs said:
I think you're missing my point.

You state that because it's not serious it's not a masterpiece. Of course it's so. Nobody was reading this thinking it was DEEP.
It's just for fun and that's exactly it's goal. Never was it serious.
Dawn of the Dead wasn't entirely serious. Night of the Living Dead wasn't either.
The main characters in those are both human and inhuman for making sacrifices, ending up "worse than the monsters themselves". That's exactly what HotD did. There's little difference between HotD and the fun parts of DotD when they're screwing around before the ending where everything goes to hell.

The artist loves classic settings. FireFireFire is a throwback to classic shounen 80's/90's anime/manga. It's set in a futuristic western setting abundant with outlaws and oppressive "government". Triage X is a vigilante setting featuring characters with faded, "hypocritical" morals.

Besides that, the artist's style is distinctive and easily recognizable, far from generic.

But you're entitled to your own opinions and I can respect them. Daisuke Satou may not write great plots, but I see HotD and other Shouji Satou works as fun romps in old grounds.

It's not a masterpiece and nobody expects it to be, but it's not even decent as far as manga goes, regardless of genre or intent.
I never makes me laugh nor entertain me, in fact it never invokes any feelings in me, other than maybe some slight irritation over how hamfisted everything is.

A manga doesn't have to be serious to be good or entertaining, Sexy Commando Gaiden is a perfect example of it. No, my beef with HotD is that it fails spectacularly at everything it sets out to be. It's not funny, it's not entertaining, it's not interesting, it's not well-written or anything. All your left with is page after page of fanservice of high school girls with G-cups running around.

What really pisses me off is the praise it constantly receives from sweaty, no-life otakus who's fapping to the female cast. "ZOMG it's so good!11!!!"

The only good thing about the HotD manga is that it spawned the anime which you can play the HotD-drinking game to; every time boobs bounce or there is a panty shot; you drink.
Aug 21, 2011 3:42 AM

Jul 2008
jmal said:
AfterGlow said:

You've got one of the most serious cases of "needs to fucking get over themselves" I've seen in quite a while. Christ. (And no, I'm not rushing to defend HSotD, I have no interested in it one way or another.)

I'm sorry, I automatically disregard anything said by somebody who's rated the Fairy Tail anime 9 out of 10.
Aug 21, 2011 4:02 AM
Jun 2009
AfterGlow said:

Pretty hilarious coming from someone who thinks the pile of misogynistic horse shit that is shamo is "good". hard to take your opinion seriously when you give bleach a 3 and still read over 400 chapters of it.
Aug 21, 2011 4:58 AM
Dec 2009
AfterGlow said:
jmal said:
AfterGlow said:

Enjoyment is subjective. Granted, I was somewhat disappointed with HotD as well but perspective has a lot to do with things. That's not the main issue here though. This was supposed to be an update on Manga Sales and this group of you have turned it into your personal flame war. If you don't like HotD that's fine and I have nothing against your opinions but I don't think anyone here wants this to be degraded to the point of a "My animes are better therefore I'm better than you" conversation. Of course, this isn't just for you, it's for everyone who is leading this post in that direction. Nothing personal, I just don't want to see fighting among my anime and manga brethren.
Aug 21, 2011 5:07 AM

Aug 2009
It's funny how Maximum Ride is on that list, while it isn't even fucking manga.

God, America and their bad taste.
Aug 21, 2011 5:13 AM

Aug 2011
Kazeshini said:

LOL!!!
the first 2 seem no suprise at all :D
Aug 21, 2011 5:43 AM
Feb 2009
STM said:
It's funny how Maximum Ride is on that list, while it isn't even fucking manga.

God, America and their bad taste.
What's with people saying America have bad taste? It's like saying Japan have bad taste because they like that shitty One Piece so much. Top 25 manga from Japan and America are not so different anyway.

Also, why does it matter if Maximum Ride is not japanese? It's clearly inspired by japanese-style comics and deserves to be put on "manga list". Also, it's quite logical it sells well. After all, it's based on American novel series.
Aug 21, 2011 6:21 AM

Jan 2011
I really wonder why One Piece didn't even get to the top ten T.T

Though I'm proud of Dengeki Daisy, OHSHC, Fruits Basket and Alice in the Country of Hearts ~ kyaaa ~

Shoujo Fighting ! >w<
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down
Aug 21, 2011 6:29 AM

Aug 2008
Kazeshini said:

SO TRUE!

Omg, One Piece 11?? FMA 8?? How come?? Well, less people will compete with me to buy the One Piece manga!
Aug 21, 2011 7:17 AM

Dec 2009
I love how everyone is so grumpy that their favorite manga isn't the 1th one and blames it on the american "lack of taste". Everybody has their own opinion and tastes , why must we act like kids whenever the world doesn't agree with us ?
Now, back to the subject. Omg Vampire Knight is 3rd <3 ! *fangasm*
Aug 21, 2011 8:04 AM

Aug 2011
really america you take the bad about manga japan and make it more bad wtf
i hate america and i wanna kill everyone in it beside me and my mom and my sisiter and my love and some people to make us food and translate japan staff and that all what i need
Aug 21, 2011 8:07 AM
Sep 2009
Wish Yotsuba was higher...bought all 9 volumes this past month. Hopefully it does better in the last two quarters.
Aug 21, 2011 8:16 AM

May 2007
Wow so much American hatred like always, the only difference between us and Japan is that One Piece isn't number 1 here.

I will admit I was surprised to see no Negima on the list then I remembered it didn't even come out in the 2 quarters.

Oh and notsureifsrs how the hell was Night of the Living Dead not entirely serious?
My anime list
Aug 21, 2011 8:21 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
People bashing each other for "have no taste" issues is the crappiest thing that often happens on MAL.....

People who hate the shounen big 3 hate them for the same reason they hate Microsoft. Although I admit the fanbase for the big 3 (OP fanbase is a bit better) is not the most healthy fanbase that's out there. However, that is what you get when the fanbase is large: you get a lot of really annoying fans amongst good ones.

I'd say this is pretty accurate and illustrates the current manga fad in the U.S.

HoTD was liked by many simply because there was no Romero-style zombie apocalypse manga or anime that was popular before. If they release 10 new zombie manga series, I doubt HoTD would be as "good" as people claim it to be. It's interesting to read for change of pace.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 21, 2011 8:32 AM
Feb 2011
Just let them read what they want, too bad for them.
I would like to see some light novel translations, since these are often much better than manga.
Aug 21, 2011 8:32 AM

Jun 2011
Pandora Hearts and D.Gray-man is up there. That's enough to keep me happy.
Aug 21, 2011 8:39 AM

Jan 2010
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm surprised that three of the top six are shoujo manga. I was kind of expecting all the Shonen Jump series to dominate the entire list.

And glad to see Pandora Hearts up there, of course. =}
Aug 21, 2011 8:51 AM
Aug 2011
Is Americans having bad taste really anything new?
Aug 21, 2011 8:56 AM

Aug 2011
Trombe said:
Is Americans having bad taste really anything new?
yes
Aug 21, 2011 9:01 AM

Aug 2011
wakka9ca said:
People bashing each other for "have no taste" issues is the crappiest thing that often happens on MAL.....

People who hate the shounen big 3 hate them for the same reason they hate Microsoft. Although I admit the fanbase for the big 3 (OP fanbase is a bit better) is not the most healthy fanbase that's out there. However, that is what you get when the fanbase is large: you get a lot of really annoying fans amongst good ones.

I'd say this is pretty accurate and illustrates the current manga fad in the U.S.

HoTD was liked by many simply because there was no Romero-style zombie apocalypse manga or anime that was popular before. If they release 10 new zombie manga series, I doubt HoTD would be as "good" as people claim it to be. It's interesting to read for change of pace.
i hate america taste but its better then japan taste wtf one piece first really japanese guys like gayi staff and they suck
gintama should be number 1 then other bitches i try to buy some voulme for gintama and its comes with a figure that keep sayin do it what you want more
Aug 21, 2011 9:06 AM

Jun 2009
It's not at all surprising that One Piece doesn't go on the top 10 list here in America, for many reasons:

- For one thing, if you were to compare the Viz Media release with the original OP manga, you will find it is slightly censored. (redrawing a shirt to cover Robin's cleavage; editing out the cigarette smoke) Of course, they seem to be doing this less in the more recent volumes.
- Also, Zoro's name is translated Zolo here (for licensing clashes or whatever). I dunno, but name changes, I suppose, irk me.
- The Devil Fruits are translated into their English names, (Gomu-Gomu to Gum-Gum), in which I just think they should have been left alone, as the English names sound odd to me (Yami Yami no Mi or Dark-Dark Fruit?).
- The English SFX used in Viz Media releases bothers me a bit.
-In conclusion, I'd rather buy the actual OP manga books (as perhaps with ANY manga book) straight from Japan than a mildly-bitter Viz Media release.
Aug 21, 2011 9:40 AM
Feb 2009
I really wish they'd sell more mangas in america (and manhwas and manhuas).... a TON that I love are only in japanese and such so I can only read them online... :'(
Aug 21, 2011 10:15 AM

Aug 2010
yay Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) is there! :D
Aug 21, 2011 1:27 PM

Jul 2011
Predictable

Kuroshitsuji awesome

Aug 21, 2011 1:39 PM

Jun 2010
*1 Naruto (Viz Media)
*2 Bleach (Viz Media)

Now is anyone seriously surprised? Of course these two are the top manga, that's not so different with Japan, everyone's just mad at the most mainstream of manga doing it's job, being popular.

*8 Fullmetal Alchemist (Viz Media)
*9 Dragonball & DBZ (Viz Media)

This is the one I'm most surprised about, DBZ still this high up on the list and FMA beating it, no offense to any FMA fan, but I'm pretty sure DBZ is still more popular, but with time, sales goes down, and with FMA, I'm surprised that it's actually on the list given that only 2 new volumes of FMA were released this year so far.

24 K-On! (Yen Press)
25 Highschool of the Dead (Yen Press)

And then here, I;m actually disappoint that HOTD is only at #25, and that K-ON actually beat it and is on the list (I guess Moe > Ecchi zombies).
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Aug 21, 2011 1:45 PM

Nov 2008
Top 5 depicts the US having bad taste in manga.

Aug 21, 2011 1:50 PM

Nov 2008
something is weird about this list
Aug 21, 2011 2:52 PM

Jul 2010
i'm usually not in these forum sections (mostly only episode discussions) but are the ppl in these sections THAT bitchy!?

naruto and bleach no suprise there
kinda suprised that OP is a bit down though.
i'm glad d.grey-man and soul eater are there, hopefully they can make a second season for these 2.
DBZ, FMA, and death note. wow these ones are still going good
i'm surprised HOTD just made it into the top 25
wakka9ca said:

its really a big surprise for me actually

JackSho said:
i hate america taste but its better then japan taste wtf one piece first really japanese guys like gayi staff and they suck
gintama should be number 1 then other bitches i try to buy some voulme for gintama and its comes with a figure that keep sayin do it what you want more

ok no offense but you have GOT to make sense first before you type. i understand (somewhat) of what you said but its messed up.
and no i'm not being some stupid grammer nazi.

Aug 21, 2011 3:02 PM

Aug 2011
supermegasonic said:
i'm usually not in these forum sections (mostly only episode discussions) but are the ppl in these sections THAT bitchy!?

naruto and bleach no suprise there
kinda suprised that OP is a bit down though.
i'm glad d.grey-man and soul eater are there, hopefully they can make a second season for these 2.
DBZ, FMA, and death note. wow these ones are still going good
i'm surprised HOTD just made it into the top 25
wakka9ca said:

JackSho said:

ok no offense but you have GOT to make sense first before you type. i understand (somewhat) of what you said but its messed up.
and no i'm not being some stupid grammer nazi.
wait what i dont understand
learn how to type dude and internet isnt for kids
Aug 21, 2011 3:04 PM

Aug 2011
Hoppy said:
Top 5 depicts the US having bad taste in manga.
true
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

69 by Jin_uzuki »»
36 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 9 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.