Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2011 3:35 AM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, 4 years really did a toll on Lupin and the gang.
The volume added to Fujiko was good, but putting it on Goemon with those funky eyebrows makes me go ಠ_ಠ. Fujiko's eyes are creepy too...
Well at least she already got naked on the first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2013 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
Haha, yeah, Goemon's eyebrows are out of control!

I'm not a fan of the intro theme.

edit: Okay, it's grown on me a bit. lol

Seeing them in a Volkswagen Thing is pretty cool.
-Adam-Mar 22, 2013 2:55 AM
Nov 29, 2013 12:34 PM

Jun 2010
Some surprisingly terrible animation in places here.

The resemblance of the unnamed thug in this episode to Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop (or rather, the other away around) is unmistakable:

I know that Cowboy Bebop was heavily inspired by Lupin III, but to model one of the main characters on a one-shot villain with no name would seem very strange. Yet it is also hard to think that it's a coincidence.
FronzelApr 27, 2023 12:57 PM
Jun 2, 2014 12:50 PM

Oct 2009
Why the ones who kidnapped Fujiko and Lupin escape so easily?
Also, the quality of the fansub is pretty terrible

Fronzel said:

At least Fujiko looks prettier here (sometimes):

Fronzel said:
The resemblance of the unnamed thug in this episode to Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop (or rather, the other away around) is unmistakable:

No, not even close. You see what you want to see.

Fronzel said:
Yet it is also hard to think that it's a coincidence.

It's a coincidence. Besides, I personally don't even see much of resemblance

P.S. About the 94.7 Rocks KMET sign in the ED. It was thriving at the time but was shut down shortly after Part III finished airing
SerhiykoAug 31, 2017 2:32 PM
Aug 30, 2017 6:46 PM
Aug 2010
"Terrible animation" lol holy shit, this ep doesn't even have the sketchy weird art from the second half that might not some appeal to some people who like detail & fluidity. It's good visuals by any standard.

This is pure meme-ing. "I heard people complain about the animation so I gotta do it too".
Feb 15, 2018 7:12 AM

Jan 2012
Well here we are at last. Of the Lupin television series released to date, including Fujiko Mine, this is the only one I still haven't seen. (There are tons of specials and movies I haven't seen yet either for the record.) And with Lupin Part V set to begin airing in April I figured I'd see if I could manage to finish this off in the 40+ days I have left. Considering that's around one episode a day it shouldn't be that tough, provided I maintain interest, but we'll see. So yeah, Part III: the Pink Jacket Lupin. Sort of a black sheep of the franchise no? Well let's start with Lupin going after the lost treasure of Al Capone! Hopefully he has better luck than Geraldo did!  Oh but wait! First, the opening! It was pretty catchy I have to say, with some nice visuals:

It was pretty refreshing to see Fujiko working with Lupin to start, the two even having enough time for a bite while being pursued by Zenigata:

Of course it didn't take long for her to get captured:

But at least it wasn't after her betraying Lupin first for once. I'll touch on the art style in a second, but first I see Part III decided to let us know it wouldn't be shy about revealing Fujiko pretty freely:

And I see they're going with that flesh colored nipple bump thing like they sometimes did in Part II with her, though not always:

Now the art style, primarily the character designs, is certainly different from the previous series. Not in a huge way, but  noticeable. It's the chins primarily, I think. The guys seem to cleft where they really didn't before. At least for Lupin and Goemon. With Lupin it isn't a constant thing, but with Goemon it seems to be. He and Fujiko probably look the most different from their earlier incarnations for me:

The others are noticeable, except maybe Zenigata who really looks pretty much the same besides his trench-coat being aquamarine colored now. Guess the outlandish nits matches the Pink on Lupin pretty well though. Jigen probably gets off the easiest considering his beard and hat cover his face for the most part, though the difference is still there:

And that's pretty much it. The episode itself was standard Lupin fare. Not bad for a re-introduction. As I said it was nice to see Fujiko fully cooperative, though the fact that they left off with everyone still diving for the treasure and not yet actually finding it did seem kind of odd to me. I almost expected this to turn out to be a two parter because of that except it seems like the next episode will be totally unrelated. Oh well I guess, just a bit strange. The butterfly ending theme was fine, not as good as the opening and not really memorable. Oh, and for the record I will try not to post as many images as I go along, but seeing as this was the first episode I decided to go a bit on the excessive side. XD
Feb 22, 2018 3:08 AM
Jul 2011
Yeah, this guy looks similar to Spike but I think he was voiced by the VA of Vicious - Norio Wakamoto.
May 14, 2018 12:03 AM

Feb 2015
“Terrible animation”

The hell you talking about? Are you blind? The average animation quality in part 3 is superior than both of the previous series’ average episodes, right from the get-go. Maybe if this was the more experimental looking second half that ignorance could at least be chalked up to personal taste, but this episode was just straight up solid animation throughout, right in line with a higher end part 2 episode. Smh, people on here always opening their mouths when they have no clue what they’re even saying, especially when it comes to older shows. Like busterbeam said, it just sounds like bandwagoning on the hate train just because you *heard* some people call it ugly.

Also, that guy looks literally nothing like Spike, lmao. And he’s most certainly not the inspiration for the character. It absolutely is a coincidence. Is the concept of an afro that foreign to you?
May 15, 2018 6:37 AM

Oct 2009
AnimEva said:
Like busterbeam said, it just sounds like bandwagoning on the hate train just because you *heard* some people call it ugly

There's literally only one person complaining about "animation in places" here (four people made neutral comments, and two (including you) centred on ridiculing that comment). I don't think he was "bandwagoning" on anyone when he said that
May 15, 2018 6:08 PM

Feb 2015
Clearly you aren’t familiar with the general consensus and infamy of this series outside of this specific forum then. I wasn’t referring to any of you people specifically.
Sep 12, 2018 8:02 PM

Aug 2016
Haven't really given this show the proper attention since green and red jacket lupin series have done me good. Plus the character design change for me was rather drastic, especially on Goemon's part. But Sonia Rosa and Yuji Ohno on Jazz Bossa music composition seems like a treat. (Especially love Casa Forte)

To get to the heart of the matter, is this worth the watch? Ep 1 didn't really click with me even with Fujiko not being a double crossing cliche this time around. But does it get better?

TL;DR
Should I continue if I'm a fan of part 1 & 2?
Mar 13, 2019 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
damn this was so not good start! One change I absolutely hated is the soundtrack. It feels so different and kind of average. Can't believe this was done by same composer of part ii or maybe I have to give more chance. Also Goemon's design feels out of place as well. However, I really liked Fujiko's design only and rest were kinda okay. Visual wise looks more detailed compare to part ii but the episode feel slow to me.

Overall this first episode didn't clicked me at all or maybe I am missing part ii too much. Have to give another thought before starting next episode..

EDIT: decided to give it try another episode and I think its more enjoyable watching with the BD version regardless the subtitles.
removed-userMar 15, 2019 5:40 PM
Mar 20, 2019 8:44 PM

Oct 2012
Hello Pink Lupin! Apparenly he have afro now xD
Fujiko looked more like the state she's in now
Zenigata without brown coat & hat feels weird

No Mr.X on the first episode?
But part I & II have them, they broke the tradition

I'm used to part II Goemon, so he looked really weird
The gun is accurate because of the hat :P

Usually Lupin's first episode have explosions in it, this one is pretty normal
"Signature removed"
Jul 25, 2019 1:25 PM

Sep 2011
Part III time! The character design is really different, but not necessarily bad. I love Lupin's pink jacket, but I'm not a fan of their new chins though. Oh, and the hairs of Goemon and Fujiko are simply fabulous here. Because They're Worth It. lol Welp, I like the OP, the ED, and the first episode was nice, that outlaw really should have known better than to pick a fight with Lupin's team.
Oct 3, 2020 6:07 PM

Nov 2016
Don't mind the new designs, but it will take some time to get used to Jigen. And hey, Fujiko and Lupin getting along well, she didn't even betray him this time.

Serhiyko said:
Why the ones who kidnapped Fujiko and Lupin escape so easily?
Also, the quality of the fansub is pretty terrible

Fronzel said:

At least Fujiko looks prettier here (sometimes):

Fronzel said:

No, not even close. You see what you want to see.

Fronzel said:
Yet it is also hard to think that it's a coincidence.

It's a coincidence. Besides, I personally don't even see much of resemblance

P.S. About the 94.7 Rocks KMET sign in the ED. It was thriving at the time but was shut down shortly after Part III finished airing

He's not the only one

I was also like

"Dude resembling my man Spike"

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2021 6:18 AM

Feb 2012
FMmatron said:

He's not the only one

I was also like

"Dude resembling my man Spike"

Which is funny because he was voiced by Norio Wakamoto who did Vicious in Cowboy Bebop. More fuel for speculation :D. I thought he sounded familiar, so I had to check that out. He also voiced emperor Charles in Code Geass, among other things, a real veteran seiyuu.

A fairly good start for the new series. Not one of the best episodes, but more like an average episode in the previous installment. I was first struck by the improvement in animation. I guess a lot can happen in 4 years since part II ended, but also towards the end of part II they were probably a bit stuck on a dated style to stay consistent.

I'll miss the jazzy music though, and Fujiko's makeover is so drastic that it'll take a while to get used to.
Oct 18, 2021 10:03 AM
Apr 2015
animefan8800 said:
Well here we are at last. Of the Lupin television series released to date, including Fujiko Mine, this is the only one I still haven't seen. (There are tons of specials and movies I haven't seen yet either for the record.) And with Lupin Part V set to begin airing in April I figured I'd see if I could manage to finish this off in the 40+ days I have left. Considering that's around one episode a day it shouldn't be that tough, provided I maintain interest, but we'll see. So yeah, Part III: the Pink Jacket Lupin. Sort of a black sheep of the franchise no? Well let's start with Lupin going after the lost treasure of Al Capone! Hopefully he has better luck than Geraldo did!  Oh but wait! First, the opening! It was pretty catchy I have to say, with some nice visuals:

It was pretty refreshing to see Fujiko working with Lupin to start, the two even having enough time for a bite while being pursued by Zenigata:

Of course it didn't take long for her to get captured:

But at least it wasn't after her betraying Lupin first for once. I'll touch on the art style in a second, but first I see Part III decided to let us know it wouldn't be shy about revealing Fujiko pretty freely:

And I see they're going with that flesh colored nipple bump thing like they sometimes did in Part II with her, though not always:

Now the art style, primarily the character designs, is certainly different from the previous series. Not in a huge way, but  noticeable. It's the chins primarily, I think. The guys seem to cleft where they really didn't before. At least for Lupin and Goemon. With Lupin it isn't a constant thing, but with Goemon it seems to be. He and Fujiko probably look the most different from their earlier incarnations for me:

The others are noticeable, except maybe Zenigata who really looks pretty much the same besides his trench-coat being aquamarine colored now. Guess the outlandish nits matches the Pink on Lupin pretty well though. Jigen probably gets off the easiest considering his beard and hat cover his face for the most part, though the difference is still there:

And that's pretty much it. The episode itself was standard Lupin fare. Not bad for a re-introduction. As I said it was nice to see Fujiko fully cooperative, though the fact that they left off with everyone still diving for the treasure and not yet actually finding it did seem kind of odd to me. I almost expected this to turn out to be a two parter because of that except it seems like the next episode will be totally unrelated. Oh well I guess, just a bit strange. The butterfly ending theme was fine, not as good as the opening and not really memorable. Oh, and for the record I will try not to post as many images as I go along, but seeing as this was the first episode I decided to go a bit on the excessive side. XD

I think on average Jigen and Zenigata have the best character designs in this series.
Nov 5, 2021 3:22 AM
Apr 2015
I like the Bonnie Tyler sound of the opening theme. It's a little bit "Holding Out for a Hero". Yuji Ohno does such tuneful work.
Oct 25, 2022 11:28 PM

Dec 2021
Had to take a break from part 2 (Watched 8 episodes so far), since it wasn't doing much for me. First thoughts, the art style is much more like part 1, which I really liked the look of (Except Goemon, no idea why he looks so off here). That pink suit looks REALLY unusual on Lupin, though I guess this makes him even more of a groovy guy. The OP is REALLY good, and the comedy of this series is much more enjoyable than that of the prior series. Not sure what was with the episode end, unless the "gold" was just the "golden sunrise". 7.5/10, better than the first episode of part 2.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Feb 12, 7:44 PM
Dec 2017
well, time for the part 3!

what bothered me the most was goemon's katana, the sheath more specifically , I already knew that the design of the characters would change so i was ready to it... but the katana's sheath ? that was a strange surprise i hadn't even noticed that i got so attached to woody like design of it in part 1 and 2 when i saw that it have now a more metallic design (or what looks like metal) i got a bit annoyed but is just the first episode i will get over it.

overall it was a likable episode not very exciting but better than a lot of others episodes from part 1 and 2
Feb 20, 7:08 AM

Jan 2014
What a terrible episode, jesus........
Mar 3, 1:43 AM
Apr 2015
I love how meticulously detailed the backgrounds in this series are, and I like the bright 1980s colors.
Too much sexism and nudity in this franchise, but that's just one complaint.
Interesting how the bit with Lupin falling out of his bed was censored in the Italian dub.
Why is Fujiko always waking Lupin up with a phone call? He was having such a peaceful dream.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part III Episode 10 Discussion

animefan8800 - Feb 16, 2018

4 by kur0_42 »»
Feb 19, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part III Episode 5 Discussion

animefan8800 - Feb 15, 2018

6 by kur0_42 »»
Feb 14, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part III Episode 2 Discussion

Serhiyko - Jun 3, 2014

9 by Drozdz8000 »»
Sep 12, 2023 11:48 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part III Episode 13 Discussion

-Adam- - Mar 23, 2013

16 by SourNote2014 »»
Jun 7, 2023 6:25 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part III Episode 38 Discussion

animefan8800 - Feb 18, 2018

4 by SourNote2014 »»
Jun 2, 2023 11:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.