Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 17, 2011 8:19 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a nice way to conclude the anime. It's too bad it seemingly wasn't popular enough to get a second season but it was still good to see Ryo continue to love Kaori strongly, years after her death, and give the ring to Xiang. Ending with a 'coming together' episode was for the best, considering we're now well into 2011 and there's no sign of a continuation.

I honestly don't understand why it's got an average so far below 8/10. I'll admit that the quality did drop initially, once the thrilling-as-heck opening arc was concluded and the episodic content began, but EVERY arc further fleshed out the characters and the quality of the stories got better and better. Once Xiang no longer required the episodic content to relate to her new life and the supporting characters got time, it became truly great; it became more and more like the City Hunter of old, with Ryo becoming more prominent.

After 141 episodes of City Hunter, as well as all of the specials, it'd gotten old seeing Ryo hit with a hammer 24/7. The formula needed changing in order to keep it fresh, and the new more seinenish direction, where drama was the main focus and new characters played vital roles in solving the cases, was just the ticket. Different isn't always bad.

Typing of the newbie characters: I've become something of a Xin Hong fanboy. The way he introduced himself with a surprise kiss + heroic suicide attempt made him hard to forget, and the additional development he received from the Bai Lan and future prediction arcs won me over completely. I JUST WISH XIANG WOULD RESPOND TO HIS FEELINGS, GOD DAMNIT!

I wasn't so taken with Xiang because of how Kaori dominated her personality; making it hard to separate the two. And the way Kaori became some kind of all-knowing mother, as she kept reappearing in spiritual form, was a bit... off. As was the amount of emphasis placed on the father-daughter theme.

Overall, though, it's in my top ten. The art lacked the charm of City Hunter's and the animation wasn't the best, but everything else was wonderful. Even the soundtrack impressed me greatly - me liking how it gave the series a different, more darker and moody feel than City Hunter.
Jun 28, 2014 6:04 AM

Jun 2008
I cannot emphasised enough how much things were executed effectively in Angel Heart in comparison with City Hunter. While I enjoyed City Hunter a lot, there were way too many repetitive contents and troupes that were done poorly throughout the entire series and many times i found the backstory of the clients were often too lacking in quality and depth to even make me care about the characters. Majority of the time, the episodic contents of the story in City Hunter revolved around pretty girls and Ryo getting mokkori all the time. Even when there are serious moments in CH, it would be then overtaken by the forced and awkward comedy. It was probably intentional but i wouldn't say i appreciate that in my personal opinion. I do appreciate their take on a more comedic approach in CH which was fun and interesting at first but it gets bland and old pretty fast. The quality was also quite choppy in the sense that whenever there are character development, it would then be rendered to completely non-existent within the next episode as though it never even happened. This aspect had made the CH series to become very inconsistent in its quality and it can be irritating to watch especially if you expect character growth to happen. I haven't read the manga but i think the manga probably did a better job in expanding the characters than the anime did.

Whereas, Angel Heart were the exact opposite of CH in many aspects because it takes on a more mature and realistic approach. The characters within the series were actually fleshed out enough for me to care about them and the pacing of those contents were just about right- it wasn't too slow paced or too fast paced. It wasn't just the same old scenario of the client needing a bodyguard to protect him/her from their pursuers all the time because of the dumbest reason possible. There were many different scenario ranging from a kid requesting to find the truth about her father identity to a married couple defying their fate. It added more spice to the story and made it more interesting and engaging to watch because it wasn't the same old thing done repeatedly. Not to mention, the characters were more likable in Angel Heart especially in regard to Ryo and Kaori's character. While I absolutely adore the main couple (Ryo x Kaori) in CH, it was very irritating to always see Kaori being the damsel in distress (getting kidnapped all the time, does she ever learns) and get jealous all the time. In Angel Heart, Kaori was portrayed like a saint, a motherly figure, who despite being not physically strong and in no way like a superwoman; her kindhearted nature due to her past individual experiences and circumstances has enabled her to become more gentle, considerate and selfless than anyone. It made her become strong in her own individual right in the sense that she shares/understand the pain of other people and could therefore be able to save people emotionally. This was a great change that i actually really appreciate because it added more depth to her character than just the tomboy Kaori who is jealous, powerless, insecure all the time.

The same thing could be said for Ryo's character as well, I've always felt that his character in CH was always lacking in depth because how he was heavily represented as a symbol of masculinity and coolness so he never truly displayed much emotional turmoil or internal conflict like a human being would at times. That sheer amount of coolness about Ryo tends to overshadowed the weak/emotional sides of him which I personally think had lowered that humane aspect about him as a person. In Angel Heart, Ryo truly seemed more relatable as a human being - he had major emotional breakdown and conflict after the death of Kaori and you could really feel how much he cares and love Kaori. The romantic relationship between Ryo and Kaori was something more beautifully profound than anything that i had seen in other romance anime. The backstory of how they met was heartwarming and sweet. I personally like their first meeting better than the one shown in CH. They were people from a whole different world but they complement each other so well precisely because they are polar opposite of each other - Ryo is physically strong and Kaori is emotionally/mentally strong. The revelations of their past really pained me so much and it was pulling so much on my heartstrings that i couldn't help but fell in love with them.

The father and daughter element was also a great addition to the story as well. Xiang Ying started off as a mentally vulnerable and emotionally impaired person into someone who can understand what's it like to love/be loved and feel sympathetic for others. She has the mentality of a baby who does not understand anything about the world that she lives in and the anime explores how she can learn from the people that she interacts with. The transitions between these changes were excellent, the character growth felt natural and it wasn't awkward or too sudden. These character growth and development continues on to the next episode and it doesn't get dropped off like it did in CH. The heavy emphasis placed on the father-daughter and mother-daughter relationships were just touching and heartwarming. It explored the depth of their bonds and what it truly means for Xiang Ying who grew up in such a cruel and harsh environment to have parents and showered with love and affection. It's clearly evident that Xiang Ying value the importance of these bonds between them. Angel Heart did a fantastic job in exploring the emotional bonds between friends/lovers/family. The use of calm and soothing in the musical score really helps to convey that emotional atmosphere in the series. I love the OST and theme songs that they used in the series. The song "Gloria" by Kanon was sad and beautiful which i thought really matches the mood of the series in regard to Ryo x Kaori.

Overall, 10/10, a truly great adaption to the Angel Heart series which have done so many things that weren't incorporated/felt amiss in City Hunter. Angel Heart made me appreciate these characters more than I thought I would expect. There were so many heart-wrenching moments throughout the Angel Heart series that really made me teared up and I am really loving this approach that the author decided to undertake. Occasionally, I just wished that CH had more moments like this in the anime then it would have been an even more captivating and sensational series to watch had this element been incorporated. Regardless, despite these differences between the two series, they are great in their own individual right. It truly saddens me that this anime is extremely underrated and it's likely that it ain't going to get a second season given how it's been 9 years since then. I did not expect much from this series initially but it was pulling my heart strings so tightly that it shoot up all the way to being one of my fav anime of all time. I definitely will recommend this series to anyone at any given opportunity possible and if i can find this series in the western market, i will be sure to purchase a copy of this for sure. :)
EstherellaJun 28, 2014 7:34 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2019 2:15 PM

Sep 2011
A beautiful episode, ending the anime in a wholesome note. Kaori was really a warm and kind person, and she finally received her "last present." The first ED song was also back together with the faces of some of the many people who crossed their paths. Maybe someday Xin Hong will be able to give Xiang Ying the ring he bought for her too. So long Angel Heart.
Aug 23, 2020 8:59 PM

Oct 2009
After finishing the series, I really loved this. It's hard to think that this is just an alternate story to the original City Hunter franchise.

I really loved the father-daughter between Ryo and Xiang Ying. They had such an amazing chemistry that made you enjoy their interaction through the serious and funny moments and made them very human.

That last scene with Ryo embracing Xiang Ying got me emotional because on how much I loved them. Sadly, that's going to be the last of Xiang Ying because in future City Hunter series/movies, she won't be included. Got really used to her and loved her childish and kickass moments.

Overall, a fun and great series and wanting me to see more even after 50 episodes.
Nov 23, 2022 11:44 AM

Dec 2021
I swear, if somebody could just pull a billion dollars out of their ass to make a continuation of this anime, I would be so fucking happy. This is like the only time I've ever liked a spin-off more than the main series. I know Kamiya Akia is too expensive of a seiyu to bring on for another TV series, but I want it to somehow happen anyway. 10/10 anime
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Nov 28, 2022 12:57 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Tender episode, tender last episode, full of tears and memories, tribute a Kaori just!!!
It was a pity, because I hope more from the couple always, but the tragedy ruined my ideas!

Saeba 4ver!!!! kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Heart Episode 1 Discussion

ShanaFlame - May 29, 2009

6 by Paul_Verot »»
Mar 15, 2023 7:45 AM

Poll: » Angel Heart Episode 49 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 2, 2019

1 by Ranxomare »»
Nov 28, 2022 12:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Heart Episode 48 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 2, 2019

1 by Ranxomare »»
Nov 28, 2022 11:57 AM

Poll: » Angel Heart Episode 47 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 2, 2019

1 by Ranxomare »»
Nov 28, 2022 11:46 AM

Poll: » Angel Heart Episode 46 Discussion

Fayrin - Mar 2, 2019

1 by Ranxomare »»
Nov 28, 2022 10:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.