Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly DVD & CD Rankings for Aug 8 - 14

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Aug 16, 2011 1:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
Here are the weekly DVD & CD rankings for August 8th - 14th.

DVD
*1, 4,756 *,*16,891 Hakuouki Sekkaroku
*2, 3,915 *,244,164 Karigurashi no Arrietty
*3, 1,984 1,089,823 My Neighbor Totoro
**, 1,232 *,**6,870 (K-ON!! Live Event ~ Come with Me!! ~)
*4, *,994 *,**8,499 One Piece 3D: Mugiwara Chase
*5, *,933 *,***,933 Redline Collector's Edition
*6, *,909 *,733,102 Castle in the Sky
*7, *,865 *,***,865 Katte ni Kaizou vol.2
*8, *,815 *,**4,804 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.3
*9, *,812 *,463,487 Kiki's Delivery Service
10, *,802 *,*26,760 One Piece Log Collection "God"
11, *,736 *,*10,967 Eiga Precure All Stars DX3: Mirai ni Todoke! Sekai wo Tsunagu Niji-iro no Hana Special Edition
12, *,625 *,*16,519 Gintama'
13, *,566 *,642,761 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
14, *,530 *,333,200 Princess Mononoke
15, *,502 *,***,502 Redline Standard Edition
16, *,494 *,**3,813 Nintama Rantarou Movie: Ninjutsu Gakuen Zenin Shutsudou! no Dan
17, *,480 2,362,464 Spirited Away

Blu-ray
*1, 2,851 *2,851 Katte ni Kaizou vol.2 Limited Edition
**, 2,489 34,294 (K-ON!! Live Event ~ Come with Me!! ~)
*2, 1,988 *1,988 Redline Collector's Edition
*3, *,846 **,846 Appleseed XIII vol.2
*4, *,668 54,621 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica vol.4 Limited Edition
*5, *,644 **,644 Redline Standard Edition
*6, *,598 26,309 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai vol.2 Limited Edition

Single CD
*4, 26,446 26,446 The iDOLM@STER "Ready!!"
13, *9,520 60,331 Blood-C "Junketsu Paradox"
14, *8,997 *8,997 Mayo Chiki! "Be Starters!"
21, *6,896 81,521 One Piece "Fight Together"
22, *6,280 *6,280 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Character Song by Ren
27, *3,450 10,931 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Character Song by Masato
28, *3,289 *3,289 Mayo Chiki! "Kimi ni Gohoshi"
37, *2,939 38,399 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% "Maji Love 1000%"
38, *2,711 45,831 Pokemon Best Wishes! "Pokemon Ierukana? BW"
40, *2,579 20,203 Kokurikozaka Kara "Sayonara no Natsu ~Kokurikozaka Kara~"
45, *2,304 *2,304 Hakuouki Sekkaroku "Yume no Ukibune"
46, *2,286 *2,286 Natsume Yuujinchou San "Kimi no Kakera"
48, *2,216 *9,898 Sacred Seven "stone cold"
49, *2,143 *8,412 Nichijou "Hyadain no Jo Jo Yujo"

Source: Oricon Youtaiju
 
#2
Aug 16, 2011 1:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
Holy shit Redline did bad. Wasn't that supposed to be some super hyped movie?
Modified by RyanSaotome, Aug 16, 2011 1:58 AM

 
#3
Aug 16, 2011 1:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5713
dtshyk said:
Here are the weekly DVD & CD rankings for August 8th - 14th.

DVD
*5, *,933 *,***,933 Redline Collector's Edition

Blu-ray
*2, 1,988 *1,988 Redline Collector's Edition
*5, *,644 **,644 Redline Standard Edition


Lower than it should be.

And fuck yeah, Katte ni Kaizou. Deserves much more even at #1.
 
#4
Aug 16, 2011 1:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 225
dtshyk said:
Here are the weekly DVD & CD rankings for August 8th - 14th.

DVD
*5, *,933 *,***,933 Redline Collector's Edition

Blu-ray
*2, 1,988 *1,988 Redline Collector's Edition
*5, *,644 **,644 Redline Standard Edition


I knew it. :/
 
#5
Aug 16, 2011 2:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4039
RyanSaotome said:
Holy shit Redline did bad. Wasn't that supposed to be some super hyped movie?

Most people probably had seizures from watching it (I'm not making this up btw, there were reported cases) cause the visuals are real brain-killer.
 
#6
Aug 16, 2011 2:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 9787
Interesting, Redline did bad.
 
#7
Aug 16, 2011 2:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 65248
It's good to see Gintama' there.. though it should be higher up.
 
#8
Aug 16, 2011 2:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
AlexSadist-sama said:
It's good to see Gintama' there.. though it should be higher up.


Its already been on sale for a few weeks. 80-85% of lifetime sales for a single volume are typically in the first week.

 
#9
Aug 16, 2011 3:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 623
Katte ni Kaizou? BY shaft?
never heard before...
 
Aug 16, 2011 3:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
Never heard of Redline . Saw the trailer and got a headache from 2 min clip lol cant imagine watching 2 hours of that.
 
Aug 16, 2011 3:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4384
Sales Rankings of the Spring Anime 2011 (the first volumes of Blu-ray + DVD)
*1, 44,106 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
*2, 26,161 Tiger & Bunny
*3, 21,854 Ao no Exorcist
*4, 16,519 Gintama'
*5, 16,225 Steins;Gate
*6, 10,304 Dog Days
*7, *9,702 Hanasaku Iroha
*8, *9,643 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. (TV)
*9, *7,505 Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
10, *6,786 Hidan no Aria
11, *6,334 A-Channel
12, *5,786 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
13, *4,005 Nichijou
14, *3,621 Seikon no Qwaser II
15, *3,194 Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox
16, *2,266 Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II
17, *1,506 Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
18, *1,358 Maria†Holic Alive
19, *1,321 Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou
20, *1,316 Astarotte no Omocha!
21, *1,127 Toriko
22, *1,025 Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
23, **,783 Softenni (vol.2)
 
Aug 16, 2011 4:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1530
Gintama is a real mystery. It is one of the longgest running animation with considerably low budget, yet every single volume does ridiculously high sales.
 
Aug 16, 2011 5:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3427
O.o Too much ghibli films on the list :3. And precure dx3 is on the list. Nice
 
Aug 16, 2011 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 637
I want to watch Redline
 
Aug 16, 2011 7:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
seishi-sama said:
RyanSaotome said:
Holy shit Redline did bad. Wasn't that supposed to be some super hyped movie?

Most people probably had seizures from watching it (I'm not making this up btw, there were reported cases) cause the visuals are real brain-killer.

couldn't agree with u more man i saw it like 3 days ago and damn the visuals were bad
 
Aug 16, 2011 7:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
Slow week for BDs.


 
Aug 16, 2011 8:42 AM
News Team
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 26491
dtshyk said:

Single CD
27, *3,450 10,931 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% Character Song by Masato
37, *2,939 38,399 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000% "Maji Love 1000%"
40, *2,579 20,203 Kokurikozaka Kara "Sayonara no Natsu ~Kokurikozaka Kara~"
45, *2,304 *2,304 Hakuouki Sekkaroku "Yume no Ukibune"
46, *2,286 *2,286 Natsume Yuujinchou San "Kimi no Kakera"
48, *2,216 *9,898 Sacred Seven "stone cold"


Ren's higher than Masato??

Natsume ED is soothing.

Yay at the rest.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
Aug 16, 2011 8:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 748
dtshyk said:

13, *4,005 Nichijou


Dang, I wish Nichijou was selling like ten times this.
 
Aug 16, 2011 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
Cholisose said:
dtshyk said:

13, *4,005 Nichijou


Dang, I wish Nichijou was selling like ten times this.


The otaku want cute lolis and hot chicks and then there's the Fujoshi issue.


 
Aug 16, 2011 9:23 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2775
Hoppy said:
Cholisose said:
dtshyk said:

13, *4,005 Nichijou


Dang, I wish Nichijou was selling like ten times this.


The otaku want cute lolis and hot chicks and then there's the Fujoshi issue.


Plus the fact it took far too long for the show to become funny and entertaining. I had a lot of trouble getting into the show for the first 5 or so episodes and even then, it still took twice as more episodes to slowly become interesting. By the time we got into the second cour, it had finally become what I expected of it when it was first announced. IOW, that's pretty much 13 out of 26 episodes wasted.

Expect sales for this show to be low for quite some time. I'm not expecting any improvement before volume 6 or 7.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Aug 16, 2011 9:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 2944
It pains me to see Redline doing so badly.
 
Aug 16, 2011 12:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1149
Shame, I was really anticipating Redline : /

Don't really wanna get a Pokemon Seizure Attack over it though.
 
Aug 16, 2011 12:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 420
Damn, 7 hand-drawn years of production, yet Redline is doing bad in sales.
 
Aug 16, 2011 12:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
Riga92 said:
Damn, 7 hand-drawn years of production, yet Redline is doing bad in sales.


Its not kawaii uguu enough.

 
Aug 16, 2011 6:50 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Riga92 said:
Damn, 7 hand-drawn years of production, yet Redline is doing bad in sales.
Its not kawaii uguu enough.

Don't reinforce negative stereotypes by oversimplifying the situation. There are enough people who will bitch about it in those terms and actually mean it.
Considering how much he uses those comments I'm starting to believe he believes it too, even if not consciously.

 
Aug 16, 2011 9:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
Leon-Gun said:
jmal said:
RyanSaotome said:
Riga92 said:
Damn, 7 hand-drawn years of production, yet Redline is doing bad in sales.
Its not kawaii uguu enough.

Don't reinforce negative stereotypes by oversimplifying the situation. There are enough people who will bitch about it in those terms and actually mean it.
Considering how much he uses those comments I'm starting to believe he believes it too, even if not consciously.


I wasn't being serious regarding Redline.

 
Aug 16, 2011 10:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8707
dtshyk said:

Single CD
*4, 26,446 26,446 The iDOLM@STER "Ready!!"


I've been waiting for this XD
 
Aug 16, 2011 10:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 748
Hoppy said:


The otaku want cute lolis and hot chicks and then there's the Fujoshi issue.


Oh, there's plenty of cute characters though, with top kawaii award going to Nano.


And hey, Mio's awesome!!! Especially when:


AO968 said:


Plus the fact it took far too long for the show to become funny and entertaining. I had a lot of trouble getting into the show for the first 5 or so episodes and even then, it still took twice as more episodes to slowly become interesting. By the time we got into the second cour, it had finally become what I expected of it when it was first announced. IOW, that's pretty much 13 out of 26 episodes wasted.

Expect sales for this show to be low for quite some time. I'm not expecting any improvement before volume 6 or 7.


Eeeehhhh?! Your mileage may vary I guess--I was laughing from the very first episode. =/

I guess I wait for season sets when buying DVDs anyways, so perhaps that's what everyone in Japan's doing.
 
Aug 17, 2011 4:02 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3817
Mr-Guts said:
seishi-sama said:
RyanSaotome said:
Holy shit Redline did bad. Wasn't that supposed to be some super hyped movie?

Most people probably had seizures from watching it (I'm not making this up btw, there were reported cases) cause the visuals are real brain-killer.

couldn't agree with u more man i saw it like 3 days ago and damn the visuals were bad
How can you have watched so much anime and then say that Redline has bad visuals... Check your eyes.

I'm disappointed that it sold so little in Japan.
 
Aug 17, 2011 4:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 8707
stAtic91 said:
Mr-Guts said:
seishi-sama said:
RyanSaotome said:
Holy shit Redline did bad. Wasn't that supposed to be some super hyped movie?

Most people probably had seizures from watching it (I'm not making this up btw, there were reported cases) cause the visuals are real brain-killer.

couldn't agree with u more man i saw it like 3 days ago and damn the visuals were bad
How can you have watched so much anime and then say that Redline has bad visuals... Check your eyes.

I'm disappointed that it sold so little in Japan.


I'd say not bad visual. but not Japanese style.
I only give this anime 7/10.
cool but not really something great...
 
Aug 17, 2011 7:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
jmal said:
Cholisose said:
I guess I wait for season sets when buying DVDs anyways, so perhaps that's what everyone in Japan's doing.

Japan is totally different from R1 - there are no cheap season sets in Japan. Or virtually none.

Most shows just get their initial run of 1-3 episode single discs at full ¥5000-9000 per disc prices.

Some shows then get a DVD or more commonly now BD boxset, usually after a year or more, which is cheaper than the singles but still usually in the ¥20000-50000 range (so often at least $300 USD). But most shows never get even this second release.

There are a small number of shows from Geneon Universal and Bandai Visual that have gotten priced down (but still more than Americans would be used to paying) DVD-only bare bones sets. But this only started in the past year or so, most of the titles getting the releases are a few years old. And while it may herald a significant change in the market - maaaaybe - it's slow moving and still very atypical for the Japanese anime market. And these cheap sets generally don't sell much either. Many move under 1,000 units.

In other words, no, it's unlikely we'll see a JP boxset of Nichijou any time soon, let alone a remotely cheap one. The initial release *is* ¥103,740 (~$1,300 USD) at MSRP after all... A "cheap" boxset would still probably be $600 USD.


Now that I think of it Idolmaster is most likely a 13 vol series as well, I can imagine it being no less than $900 if it ever gets a boxset (it could be over $1000 easy), I also figured out how much it would cost and it's a little over $1100 for the entire set if you buy volumes and that's not figuring in shipping if you are importing the series and if you are like me and got the PS3 boxset which is around $216 US.


 
Aug 17, 2011 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
jmal said:
Hoppy said:
Now that I think of it Idolmaster is most likely a 13 vol series as well

It's been confirmed at 9 discs.


Sweet thanks, well at least it won't be a $1000 cost, but it's a few hundred close to it.


 
Aug 17, 2011 9:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
jmal said:
Cholisose said:
I guess I wait for season sets when buying DVDs anyways, so perhaps that's what everyone in Japan's doing.

Japan is totally different from R1 - there are no cheap season sets in Japan. Or virtually none.

Most shows just get their initial run of 1-3 episode single discs at full ¥5000-9000 per disc prices.

Some shows then get a DVD or more commonly now BD boxset, usually after a year or more, which is cheaper than the singles but still usually in the ¥20000-50000 range (so often at least $300 USD). But most shows never get even this second release.

There are a small number of shows from Geneon Universal and Bandai Visual that have gotten priced down (but still more than Americans would be used to paying) DVD-only bare bones sets. But this only started in the past year or so, most of the titles getting the releases are a few years old. And while it may herald a significant change in the market - maaaaybe - it's slow moving and still very atypical for the Japanese anime market. And these cheap sets generally don't sell much either. Many move under 1,000 units.

In other words, no, it's unlikely we'll see a JP boxset of Nichijou any time soon, let alone a remotely cheap one. The initial release *is* ¥103,740 (~$1,300 USD) at MSRP after all... A "cheap" boxset would still probably be $600 USD.
Wow I had a feeling they were expensive but that is suuuppper expensive. O: But manga in Japan is supposed to be way cheaper right?


Manga costs between 800-2000 yen (~11-25 US), LNs are a little cheaper but don't go less than 500 yen.

The moral of the story is there really isn't any cheap stuff in Japan even when I say something is cheap or cheaper, it's only by Japanese standards only, so save up and prepare to fork over an arm, leg, and first born.


 
Aug 17, 2011 10:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 24734
jmal said:


Seiyuu concerts are a somewhat common thing for anime to do. What's uncommon is massive sales of over 40k, but that's the power of K-ON!.


I won't be surprised when a survey in Japan concludes that men prefer K-ON! over sex. Many people in the US prefer their cell phones over sex.


 
Aug 17, 2011 10:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2025
jmal said:
Hoppy said:
Now that I think of it Idolmaster is most likely a 13 vol series as well

It's been confirmed at 9 discs.


So 2 cour has been confirmed? I've heard it rumored that Idolmaster is 25 but never seen any actual confirmation. It worried me when I saw first volume only had 2 episodes though
Modified by RyanSaotome, Aug 17, 2011 10:59 AM

 
Aug 17, 2011 12:54 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
jmal said:
What is this?? O: Is it a um. animated live or a cosplay characters live or what? And is it any good/worth watching?

It's a live concert. The characters' seiyuu (Toyosaki, Taketatsu, Kotobuki and so forth) are on stage singing the songs from the series (yes singing, not lip synching). And occasionally even playing the instruments for real for a song or three. They're not trained musicians of course, so they're not expected to sound like pros, and don't (though it's fun to see them give it a go). There are also some MCing segments and other bits of role-acting fun.
I was positive 1 of them did had actual musical knowledge. But yeah...at least they don't lip-sync so they did put in their bit of effort.

 
Aug 19, 2011 6:43 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 111
if you're talking about buying manga while LIVING IN japan, its around 400yen. which is around 5$ Dvds are, and has always been a luxury, similar to how sports is in the united states. Getting season tickets, buying the jerseys etc...you have to have a relatively comfortable income...or its your only expense, ie only eat ramen and dont shower but own the complete 2 seasons of K-ON.

In Japan, Idol is a profession, meaning all have gone to "Idol school" and undergone some form of basic training in all fields, and depending on your talent, you specialize (singer, voice actor, performer). The there are those who are scouted to do a particular job.

Basically in their free time, they train and when they get assignments they go if to try out or qualify for. Its more of a progression approach, rather then a talent approach. Its a system that rewards both those who have talent, and those who just work hard and go through the training. If you have no talent...it will be difficult though and if you're extremely talented, you can probably bypass the system and jump straight into whatever profession you want.
Modified by taj69, Aug 19, 2011 6:55 AM
 
Sep 26, 2011 12:53 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 264
26.5k sales in one week? "Single CD" are music disk? Well Idolmaster music CD are pretty awesome, even if the anime does suck. Though, "Ready!!" is the OP of the anime and it wasn't all that good... I just don't get it anymore. Well, it is the first week.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top