Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Post New Reply
Poll: Texhnolyze Episode 22 Discussion


Aug 11, 2015 1:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 84
I always wanted that kind of ending. That is not what you see everyday.
 
Aug 24, 2015 4:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 275
In the end everyone died not sure how i feel about it but seeing Ran like that was sad 8/10
 
Sep 5, 2015 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 165
@Antilope:

Thank you very much for your information and parts of the interview. Helped me a lot to come to senses after watching this mind blowing show.

@Everyone:

Do you think - or is it clear - that after everyone died, the new circle, as the elder once stated, will soon begin? I mean, there were some hints (e.g. the blossing digital flower or the insects), but didn't the Class also stated that they and humanity itself are near extinction?
 
Sep 7, 2015 11:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 156
What an incredible ride.Probably the most depressing anime I've watched alongside Evangelion.Poor Ichise,what a depressing character.

STORY-9
CHARACTERS-9
ART AND ANIMATION-10 (atmopshere is absolute masterpiece level)
SOUND-10
ENJOYMENT-10

Overall~9.6/10

This shit just made my favourites list
 
Sep 25, 2015 8:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1192
After completing this show a second time, Im raising my score from a 7 to a 10. I now understand all the things I didnt catch the first time watching. But still a difficult decision. There's no doubt that the story, characters, art, animation, sound, atmosphere are all on a masterpiece level. But there is still no joy; it is sometimes even painful to watch. From beginning to end there is not the tiniest sliver of happiness.
 
Sep 28, 2015 3:11 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 12
although i like hopeless, dark, gritty animes and still not able to get over serial experiments lain i tried this out right after, i remember. maybe i was too numb from the feels. i quickly stalled it and then watched shinseki yori (which was amazebawlz). i kept wanting that same feel and was whipping through anime after anime when i tried Texhnolyze again and then I stalled again some episodes after where i previously left off and whipped through more anime. Finally today after re-watching eps 1-11 and then quickly finishing it I want to smack myself for not finishing this anime sooner. It is too bad that it is slow in the beginning because so many people would actually enjoy this anime with a little patience, but they end up dropping it. but in my honest opinion i have never wanted to go back to those slow paced episodes more than I did with this anime. That slow build-up actually felt really good after I completed it and now.. I need moar. i'd inject this anime into my jugular if I could just experience it a 4th time without knowing the ending.
 
Oct 21, 2015 6:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1627
God damn it, I'm depressed now. An excellent show, however.

Ran...
 
Nov 12, 2015 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 656
When he went back underground for Ran , i was hoping for him to save her at least. Depressing series with a depressing ending.
 
Nov 13, 2015 10:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
What a great show. I thought the ending was perfect. Seeing Ichise smile for the first time made *me* smile.

I plan to rewatch it in the future to catch any details I missed the first time, after I recover from the heavy emotional toll it took on me due to watching the whole thing in 3 days. I'll probably spread it out, watch at a slower pace the second time around.
 
Nov 15, 2015 7:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1340
Unlike many of the other anime, or shows in general, this one somewhat required your undivided attention to watch. I mean with the lack of dialogue and the much too abstract motions this anime was following, it's kinda hard to get into if you do not really pay close attention. Enjoyable series though, 9/10 for for uniqueness and creativity, though a lot of that could possibly merit for savings in funds. Though a lot of the events were not nearly thoroughly explained with reasoning for these characters were sometimes borderline incoherent.

I would round to an overall 8/10 for enjoyment though I suppose.


 
Dec 17, 2015 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 4224
The ending was pretty depressing, all Ichise wanted was to have Ran by his side ...
Onishi completely obliterated by bullets, only his Texh legs standing.


The song kinda surprised me but it fit in with the sad ending Ichise got.

It really was depressing close to the end though, final few episodes.

Overall, decent anime, was a bit hard for me to get into at the start but as I went on it was interesting to see the story develop.

8/10, would have given it a 7/10 if not for the amazing characters.
Modified by PrOxAnto, Dec 17, 2015 7:04 PM
 
Dec 30, 2015 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2265
This was definitely one of the most depressing cyberpunk titles I've ever seen. The snail phase of the first few episodes makes you feel like you're watching the way grass grows on the field.
 
Feb 11, 2016 10:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 178
Saddest ending I ever watched. 9/10
 
Mar 20, 2016 11:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1780
Very Depressing ending, but I think it suits this dark anime very well.

I'm going to copy this sentence:

"I was incredibly skeptical about Code Geass Texhnolyze at first, but I'm very pleased to say that I was greatly surprised" - kiriska

This anime is surprisingly good, I was tricked by its low ratings.

Animation: 7/10 Good but its clearly not more than that, just take a look at GitS:SAC which was a year before.

Art: 9/10 - Great art style, the design of the city of Lukuss was very well done, it fits well into this dark world.

Sounds: Amazing OST that fits this dark world well, gives a scary world/atmosphere, Also Great Voice acting, Very good effects, Good OP/ED. 10/10

Story: Slow Paced which was imo very good for the series, it builds up pretty good and in the middle its BOOM!. Very Dark, Mature, one of the few anime series that is really +17. Great Themes, a few problems here and there, in the beginning and near the end but other than that a Great story. 9/10

Characters: I liked them, Ichise and the Doc were my favorite in the whole cast, but Onishi, Yoshii and many others were all pretty good, good development and traits. I wanted to see some better changes in Ichise character, and wanted some more focus on the backstory of the characters.
Also i really liked that all the cast got pretty good amount of screen time so they also focus on other protagonists. 8.5-9/10

Enjoyment: I like Dark anime, filled with thriller and a good OST, with good cast, great action at the middle, mysteries and smart plot. 9/10

Value: 8

Bonus: Atmosphere: (11) This anime has the best Dark atmosphere along with Ergo Proxy and Shinsekai Yori. Amazing.

Overall: Tex is not for everyone and I can understand why its not in the Top 100, but its ranking is #853 which is really low, so its very Underrated.

Final Rating: 9.0/10 (8.97/10)

A must watch for dark/mature anime fans.
 
Apr 4, 2016 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 248
this was the first anime i noticed ever since I joined MAL which has a rating "Wicked" for giving 4 out 5, which I found tempting and ended up giving it 4 out of 5.
Now i feel even more bad...



 
Jun 1, 2016 9:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 223
These days it is very difficult to find anime like this. I think that Texhnolyze is one of the darkest and most depressing shows I have ever watched, and one of those that leave you wondering so many things.

There is no need to add anything else, the +200 previous comments say everything. However, it is important to remember that Texhnolyze is not an anime for everyone. It is very harsh and cruel, the underlying themes are complicated, though excellent, and it can be difficult to understand the characters' thoughts and feelings. Anyway, this was really unique and I enjoyed it a lot.
Modified by Sisslith, Jun 1, 2016 9:35 AM
Rely on nothing under heaven
 
Aug 24, 2016 2:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1216
If there is one thing I can say about the show then it's whenever you are thinking it can't become any more depressing it becomes more despressing... This was the kind of show where I didn't feel like crying at all but got more and more depressed/shocked until I was completly stunned during the last few episodes.
This show definitely needs a rewatch. At the moment, although it was certainly great and impactful, it wasn't quite the masterpiece I expected. However, I expect that I missed out on some hints and details scattered around the show so it's very possible that my judgement might change on a rewatch. For now it's a 9/10. Episode 7 is still my favoured episode of this show. The direction of that episode was just perfect.
 
Aug 31, 2016 1:36 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 8000
Ichise sure got special treatment there. As expected of a protagonist. I guess the point is that he was able to accept his leg and arm finally... at least he was able to rely on them.

Ahh, I think you can summarize Ichise's bond with Ran as a spirtual/emotional one. While with the doc as a more physical/artificial one. Though I guess a lot of it depends on Ichise's own feelings. When you see the whole thing from the Doc's POV, it doesn't seem as artificial, and when seen from Ran's POV, not as emotional either. It's strange (in a good sense)

Now this was a nice anime. I liked it more than Lain as it focused on more characters and flowed far, far better. Lain was like. wth for the first 6 episodes. Like I had to force myself to watch it. Which I did and was somewhat rewarded. I consider it good, but the atmosphere in Texhnolyze is far more to my liking, the pace, too, albeit slow, is suitable. Hence why I consider it closer to Ergo Proxy rather than Lain. 9.5/10 because of its great storytelling, messages, characters and atmosphere. I dislike action, but the one in this was great. Tbh what I hate isn't probably action itself, but how it is usually portrayed in the stories. The fact that this was a psychological series helped a lot. Action+psychological is always a good combo.
I always wanted an anime about the last man standing on earth (sort of works here) The deep stuff was great, too.

And I agree, this series isn't as nihilistic as some people believe it is. Yes, it is very nihilistic, just not on the same level most believe it is. I found the ending depressing but Ichise's smile really means something. Despite all he had to go through, he was able to die a satisfying death. He was able to embrace himself. He struggled at first, but at the end, he wasn't ashamed to be the person he is. And he loved Ran even tho the later didn't return his feelings to the same extent (that's what I was led to believe, but I might be wrong ) Despite that, he still loved her. I think it was beautifully depressing, I'm just at a loss of words right now.
Honestly tho, it's obvious that the world is going to end one day, this show just iterates what is bound to happen. I don't see why this show would do well with a happier end, it would only destroy the grimdark atmosphere it set up throughout. The real message lies in Ichise's smile imo. Like this one person said before, it's not possible for the world to change as a whole. It's sad but I agree. The world is going to end one day. But we can always try to change on an individual level. Even if that won't mean anything on a global level, it would still be a great thing. Self-reflection is always good. Changing yourself for the better is always good. Finding someone who changes you for the better is beautiful. Even if that person doesn't return the sentiments on the same level, it's still a beautiful thing regardless--they changed you, that matters the most. As long as you can find a meaning in your life, as long as you can be satisfied with yourself, it's okay. You are the only person who knows yourself the best. You are only person who sees the world through your own eyes, after-all. No matter how depressing your surroundings are, as long as you can find a ray of hope; even if that hope disappears, but as long as you can die with a smile, nothing can be an alternative to that.

P.S. I disliked-hated Ichise at first, but I was able to relate with him in the end. He's a great character with amazing development. I also loved Ran's role a lot. She was treated like a grand entity for her life, when she was just scared. She probably wanted to experience like like a normal girl, but alas. Despite her best efforts, the city was destroyed in the end. And she blames herself for it. I feel like her sins are already forgiven. She did her job well. Failure isn't necessarily a bad thing. The fact that she was able to change Ichise for the better in itself is a beautiful thing. I really like her bond with his, and how it contrasts to his bond with the Doc.
Tbh all the main characters are great here. Most are flawed, but despite that, they shine.

Really beautifully series. Beautifully tragic. Love it. The more I think about it, the more I love it. Reminds me of Shinsekai Yori in that way. Tbh I don't find it all that similar to Lain, it's more of Shinsekai Yori+Ergo Proxy+Shiki, but oh well.
Truly a masterpiece.
Modified by TragicRomance, Sep 12, 2016 6:40 AM
 
Sep 12, 2016 4:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Texhnolyze is my number 1 favorite anime so I’m going to write my thoughts on the show. All this is only my opinion.

As others have said, I think the top world and the bottom world represent too possible paths humanity can take. The “good” option which is the above world and the bad option which is the bottom world, with Chiaki Konaka taking the view that humanity is destined to be in despair no matter if we “succeed” or fail. I’ll mostly focus on the bottom world in this post but the main point of the top world is that if humanity solves all its problems, society will fall into despair because there will be nothing to work towards. Another interpretation is that this is an extreme exaggeration of the current aimless middle class with the scenes at Yoshi’s work suggesting that bureaucracy is dulling our world. The top world’s society is spiritually and mentally dead but they still try to get Yoshi to fill out a form to go underground despite them not caring about Yoshi or the form at all. They are just working through the motions without meaning, and you can see this when their monitors go into panic mode and they all just sit there. Either way this creates psychopaths like Yoshi who go around murdering people for fun. The two options also show Chiaki’s view on the evolution of humanity: replacing the body with machinery is less effective than the combination of biogenetics and machine organs used by the top world.

Moving onto the bottom world, the biggest metaphor in the show is Ran. At the end it is revealed she ‘birthed’ Lux and can talk to people as the ‘voice of the city’. So she is pretty much a representation of society’s soul. She sees the future but instead of acting to avoid this future she explicitly tells her followers to act in ways that will lead to the terrible future she sees (even going as far as telling her followers to make guns for the Class). This is a metaphor saying that civilians know about humanity’s future if we neglect the environment and resource scarcity (overreliance on machinery and lack of resources to power this machinery is a key point of the show) but we still do nothing to stop it.

Now onto her relationships with other characters. Why is it that Oonishi is the only one who can hear her as the ‘voice of the city’ throughout the show? This is because he represents a good hearted politician who genuinely listens to the people and works for what society (Ran) wants. Unfortunately Ran/society doesn’t know what is best for them (more social commentary) and their desires eventually lead them to their doom. He also fails to control the corruption within his own organisation despite his best efforts; no matter how good a leader you are, the people under you will still cause pain for their own good. A rather negative view of human nature.

Now onto Yoshi. At the beginning of the show he descends from ‘heaven’ and arrives at the bottom world where he immediately receives help from Ran. There is a contradiction here as Ran tells Oonishi as the ‘voice of the city’ that she does not want a spectacle while at the same time leading a cunning serial killer into the city. Then when he starts killing people she regrets what she did. This is a metaphor for how society wants to keep the status quo while ultimately producing murders/rapists etc. But like Ran, society only regrets this when people start dying (school shootings etc).

And then there is Ichise. At the beginning of the show he has nothing to live for, but he finds a place to belong where he is valued working under Oonishi and falls in love with Doc, finding reasons to live. And that’s why he wants to protect her; he wants to protect this city where he has found at least some sort of fulfilment. But it all falls apart in the end. Ran is killed by Kano, the leader of the class (more social commentary: rich people will destroy society) and everyone dies. Ichise finally understands Nihlilism. The end.

Also every character represents a different philosophy and reacts to the end of the world in ways fitting of a person of that philosophy. This is made painfully obvious when Kano tells Ichise he is a firm believer in solipsism. Oonishi is realism/healthy dose of optimism, Yoshi is absurdism, the people of Gabe are determinism, the people of the above world are nihilism, Shinji and the Rakan are hedonism and there might be others I have missed.

Texhnolyze is the only anime I’m willing to give a 10/10. Masterpiece.
 
Sep 16, 2016 2:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
God, that was the most unsettling anime I've ever watched.

The coldest, numbest serving platter of nihilism I've ever consumed.
 
Sep 22, 2016 11:58 PM
Shounen is trash

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 578
fieldsgrow1 said:
Texhnolyze is my number 1 favorite anime so I’m going to write my thoughts on the show. All this is only my opinion.

As others have said, I think the top world and the bottom world represent too possible paths humanity can take. The “good” option which is the above world and the bad option which is the bottom world, with Chiaki Konaka taking the view that humanity is destined to be in despair no matter if we “succeed” or fail. I’ll mostly focus on the bottom world in this post but the main point of the top world is that if humanity solves all its problems, society will fall into despair because there will be nothing to work towards. Another interpretation is that this is an extreme exaggeration of the current aimless middle class with the scenes at Yoshi’s work suggesting that bureaucracy is dulling our world. The top world’s society is spiritually and mentally dead but they still try to get Yoshi to fill out a form to go underground despite them not caring about Yoshi or the form at all. They are just working through the motions without meaning, and you can see this when their monitors go into panic mode and they all just sit there. Either way this creates psychopaths like Yoshi who go around murdering people for fun. The two options also show Chiaki’s view on the evolution of humanity: replacing the body with machinery is less effective than the combination of biogenetics and machine organs used by the top world.

Moving onto the bottom world, the biggest metaphor in the show is Ran. At the end it is revealed she ‘birthed’ Lux and can talk to people as the ‘voice of the city’. So she is pretty much a representation of society’s soul. She sees the future but instead of acting to avoid this future she explicitly tells her followers to act in ways that will lead to the terrible future she sees (even going as far as telling her followers to make guns for the Class). This is a metaphor saying that civilians know about humanity’s future if we neglect the environment and resource scarcity (overreliance on machinery and lack of resources to power this machinery is a key point of the show) but we still do nothing to stop it.

Now onto her relationships with other characters. Why is it that Oonishi is the only one who can hear her as the ‘voice of the city’ throughout the show? This is because he represents a good hearted politician who genuinely listens to the people and works for what society (Ran) wants. Unfortunately Ran/society doesn’t know what is best for them (more social commentary) and their desires eventually lead them to their doom. He also fails to control the corruption within his own organisation despite his best efforts; no matter how good a leader you are, the people under you will still cause pain for their own good. A rather negative view of human nature.

Now onto Yoshi. At the beginning of the show he descends from ‘heaven’ and arrives at the bottom world where he immediately receives help from Ran. There is a contradiction here as Ran tells Oonishi as the ‘voice of the city’ that she does not want a spectacle while at the same time leading a cunning serial killer into the city. Then when he starts killing people she regrets what she did. This is a metaphor for how society wants to keep the status quo while ultimately producing murders/rapists etc. But like Ran, society only regrets this when people start dying (school shootings etc).

And then there is Ichise. At the beginning of the show he has nothing to live for, but he finds a place to belong where he is valued working under Oonishi and falls in love with Doc, finding reasons to live. And that’s why he wants to protect her; he wants to protect this city where he has found at least some sort of fulfilment. But it all falls apart in the end. Ran is killed by Kano, the leader of the class (more social commentary: rich people will destroy society) and everyone dies. Ichise finally understands Nihlilism. The end.

Also every character represents a different philosophy and reacts to the end of the world in ways fitting of a person of that philosophy. This is made painfully obvious when Kano tells Ichise he is a firm believer in solipsism. Oonishi is realism/healthy dose of optimism, Yoshi is absurdism, the people of Gabe are determinism, the people of the above world are nihilism, Shinji and the Rakan are hedonism and there might be others I have missed.

Texhnolyze is the only anime I’m willing to give a 10/10. Masterpiece.


are you sure ichise loved doc? the "relationship" seemed so one sided basically the whole show... even in the final few eps when she has to tell him to hug him tighter, and when she holds his hand at the theatre but he doesnt respond to it all or hold her hand.. idk there was alot more but i honestly dont think ichise loved doc... more likely that he loved ran just because of what she did for him.
 
Oct 3, 2016 7:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 290
Tragic, sad, depressing but at the same time beautiful, emotional and meaningful. Texhnolyze even gives you small glimpse of hope which was Ichise's smile in the end. This is how I would describe Texhnolyze in just a few words.
Modified by SilentSword114, Oct 3, 2016 7:28 PM
 
Oct 8, 2016 3:08 PM
News Team
Mi'qote Madness

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 3220
Late to the party and just finished this. This is easily my newest 9/10. I haven't given a high score to something for a long time now, so this really feels exciting lol.

Relatively simple yet deep plot, great characters, bloody-tastic action sequences and the most bittersweet finale I've ever seen in anime (Shinsekai Yori's ending is a close second). And speaking of the ending, that's certainly gonna leave a hole in my heart for days lol. The scene where Ichise tosses Ran's head into the chasm was one of the most touching things I ever saw in anime. It's made even sadder with Ran's peaceful smile and the beautiful piano music.

As for the characters, Oonishi is by far my favorite guy. Other than symbolizing the remaining hope and order of Lux, he's got the most badass scenes in the show, from parleying with the Union and Racan to his noble sacrifice. Doc is a close second. I really love how she's so nihilistic yet considered a 'good' character by the show's dark standards.

A masterpiece overall. I have no idea why this is so grossly underrated in MAL. Maybe a lot of people couldn't stomach the first few utterly strange episodes? Which is sad since the show becomes more straightforward after Ichise opens his mouth for the first time.
Modified by Skittles, Oct 27, 2016 10:06 AM
 
Oct 27, 2016 9:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1932
Well.. I blasted through this series in just three days. It was a quite experience.

I like the soundtrack, not only it was very fitting but the many variations of it do a splendid job at providing both mood and sense of "emotional." The city of lux are vivid and quite imaginable to say the least, and as many said that I heartedly agree with, everything is coming together beautifully most notably the lack of character's motives (especially Yoshii) in earlier episodes is clear at the end of the series.

however, there are two things that ended up marring me from enjoying this show.

Firstly, my main gripe with Texhnolyze is that I don't get the somewhat unreasonable the entire characters towards Ichise, no, not when he already join Organo and become Badass, but when he's still a stray dogs in the earlier episodes. I still not grasping of why the doctor, Keigo, Shinji, Yoshii and Ran is paying so much attention to Ichise. It is as if I'm watching Bleach (just for the sake of comparison, Texh is in different league certainly) all over again. At the very least, it was sound reasonably there considering Ichigo is indeed special with its Hollow/quincy/Shinigami/whatever bloodline he has, where as I failed to see what makes Ichise has reedeming quality on his self. The guy has nothing, at all. I waited 7, 9 and finally give up at the 13 episodes to hoping the show show us what makes the characters see Ichise so special but it never happened. A bit more of explanation might have helped in getting a bit more of a grip on the story.

Secondly is regarding the characters (especially Ichise) plot armor, the show does have a lot of unbelievable situation where (mostly) in the earlier episodes where the Organo or Onishii had many chance to kill Ichise.

In Essence. I found the first half quite a mess, not because I had a problem with the pacing or it style but because the way it handles the build-up its stoires.
Second half was good, because as said, it was brought everything together nicely.

Now about, some technical score to note :

Visuals was decent, if not great. Like the muted color the show has, mechanics and movement are pretty well done.
Soundtrack was the best aspect, without a single doubt.
Despite my praising about the show explain characters motive. The cast are weak, much like serving as plot devices than actual characters.No distinguishing personality whatsoever. I don't find them relatable and I believe even some of its fan would agree with me.

my enjoyment is quite absences during episodes 11-12 otherwise was fine.

In the end. I rather like it and I can understand why someone feels more than me, it certainly departures from most modern anime but the show was not without its flaws. Do I regret watching it? No.. but it is kind of show that I don't feel lose anything if I move on with it.

Now, back to watch some idols-shit
Modified by Rievlyne, Oct 27, 2016 10:07 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.
 
Nov 1, 2016 1:14 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 597
Rievlyne said:
Firstly, my main gripe with Texhnolyze is that I don't get the somewhat unreasonable the entire characters towards Ichise, no, not when he already join Organo and become Badass, but when he's still a stray dogs in the earlier episodes. I still not grasping of why the doctor, Keigo, Shinji, Yoshii and Ran is paying so much attention to Ichise. It is as if I'm watching Bleach (just for the sake of comparison, Texh is in different league certainly) all over again. At the very least, it was sound reasonably there considering Ichigo is indeed special with its Hollow/quincy/Shinigami/whatever bloodline he has, where as I failed to see what makes Ichise has reedeming quality on his self. The guy has nothing, at all. I waited 7, 9 and finally give up at the 13 episodes to hoping the show show us what makes the characters see Ichise so special but it never happened. A bit more of explanation might have helped in getting a bit more of a grip on the story.
You didn't pay enough attention. First of all, Ran's attention is obviously because of her prophetic ability which allows her to foresee what will happen in Ichise's destiny.

Doc is interested in Ichise because unlike other people who just fall over and die, Ichise demonstrates a vivacity and struggle to survive unlike almost anyone else in the city. She saves him off the streets because he, without his limbs, is perfect for experimentation. Shinji isn't interested in Ichise, and there's nothing in the series that would suggest he's overly concerned with him. Onishi isn't that interested either, but spares Ichise's life out of a shred of human compassion. Ichise manages to prove himself as he rises through the ranks of Organo and only then does Onishi pays him any heed.

Rievlyne said:
Secondly is regarding the characters (especially Ichise) plot armor, the show does have a lot of unbelievable situation where (mostly) in the earlier episodes where the Organo or Onishii had many chance to kill Ichise.
I don't even know what this means. Onishi makes it perfectly clear why he doesn't kill Ichise.
 
Dec 19, 2016 10:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 20
I just loved this show so much. I dropped it many times in the past trying to get past the first episodes but as soon as I started watching it seriously I loved it. 9/10 one of my favourite shows.
 
Feb 26, 2:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 826
Hm. First, I have to say the last five episodes were absolutely stellar. I'm a huge fan of raw, depressing emotions in anime, and this one really makes you think.

However, scoring this overall... god damn, those first 12 episodes were an absolute drag. It honestly wasn't the subject material or the fact that it was slow paced. I think the hook of being invested in the characters took a long time to sink in. I really, really, really feel like this could have been much tighter of a story with less episodes. Keep the main ideas, but get rid of some of those drawn out blank shots and a bit of the conversations. If I felt all of them pulled the anime forward, yeah, keep it in there, but man. I'm SO conflicted with this show because I ADORE the themes but giving it anything above a 7/10 isn't possible for me.

This was the last anime that Yoshitoshi ABe was involved in that I needed to watch. (Well, besides Despera, which is still in developmental hell.) Here's where this stands with the lot --

Haibane Renmei 10/10
Welcome to the N.H.K 9/10
Serial Experiment Lain 8/10
Texhnolyze 7/10
NieA 7 5/10
 
Mar 20, 10:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 645
Second half was definitely better than the first by and large, definitely one of the most depressing shows i have watched in recent memory but i truly think the 2nd half was brilliant...if only the 1st half didn't feel like a totally different show and had that same brilliance.... 7/10


"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
 
Apr 24, 4:17 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 45
A masterpiece, simply.
 
May 4, 4:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Despite the depression-fest that this series is so widely known for, I couldn't help but to feel happy for Ichise in the end, what with that content as hell smile on his face.

I feel the message of this story is more about the nature of life, or what constitutes as 'living', and I believe that Texhnolyze is saying that struggle in itself is the core of living. Struggle is what brings out one's innate desires and instincts for both violence and compassion, and is also what helps humans grow as people. Though Ichise's life was completely shit, he still experienced the ups and downs of living, unlike those on the surface awaiting death. He was content that he changed as a person in the end, so I couldn't help but to feel content as well.

btw Yoshii did nothing wrong.
Chinese Cartoons are the end of me
 
May 25, 8:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 183
To be frank, I have absolute no idea what the entire show was about, but it was great.
 
Jun 4, 10:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 43
The show immersed me instantly with its cool "show, not tell" atmosphere/vibe. Sure not much character development happened in the early episodes but I was fine with that because they had plenty of time left, it's called setup. I had no problem with Ichise being a mostly mute savage because it was part of his character, one fitting of such a world.

Despite saying I liked "show don't tell," as the series progressed and the stakes were raised I wish they told us just a little more, like why some characters behaved certain ways.

I just feel like I was missing a few plot points and I'm not really sure which ones... maybe Ran's connection to the city? I just know she has psychic power and it somehow connects her to the city/texhnolyzation. I think it's great that this show doesn't fully explain everything, but I needed just a little more to be able to piece stuff together. Or maybe I just missed some things.

I do like parts of it and ideas they were going for, I just think the show didn't fully come together post-Yoshi. It didn't quite make enough sense and felt like a weird fever dream that gets progressively worse further into the night. Though I guess that also ties into why I partially liked it.

I both liked it and didn't. Definitely "mixed". At least it showed a side of humanity we don't always see, that's why I like sci-fi. So, while I could've used a little more explanation, it's refreshing in that regard and maybe I'll grow to like it more the longer it resides in my brain. It's definitely a show that leaves an impression, which is a good quality in itself.
Modified by hinto, Jun 5, 2:58 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jun 4, 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 11
If Ichise had acted only once on one of his own desires instead of the other's around him, things would've turned out much better.

In the end, he only pursued his own self interest when it was far too late and when there was really nobody else left to help. His pursuit to pay back his debt to everyone left him helping nobody.

He could've stayed with the doc, he could've gone to save Ran earlier a number of times and he could've not just ran along with a mob because of feeling in debt. His inability to do any of those lead him down a path where he watched everyone around him perish and he was left alone.
 
Jul 17, 1:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1303
Psajdak said:
8/10
They just don't make anime like this anymore.

have to agree

also like some users stated, not sad but a feeling of nothingness
 
Sep 2, 2:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3873
Interesting how it ends, that's unique for sure.

I liked the theme, but disliked the long-lasting gang war. For me, it was placing too many psychological aspects into a very action-centered plot. There's not much background on nearly all characters, so their motives seemed straightforward and the romance kind of random. Lots of gore and people dying, going, "Oh, there goes that guy."

Good marathon, but still prefer Ergo Proxy.
Modified by Yasu-kun, Sep 2, 2:09 AM
 
Oct 10, 12:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 3342
Never would have thought that the end of this anime would get me so hard. I didn't even tear up,but feel hella depressed about how things turned out.

Good show overall, with an atmosphere of it's own, heavy on thought provoking themes,also with a message for it's viewers and despite I'm usually not into these kind of shows I still enjoyed it.

7,5/10,tho the end almost bumped it to an 8 for me.
"Are my father and little brother dead too?"

"What does that matter? We were talking about One Piece."
 
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]