Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2011 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Huh? They were planning to kidnap Dianna, and then they change their mind out of nowhere? And what do they mean by "investigating the responsible behind the Colonel Aji's death", are they planning to throw the guilt on a yet-to-be-introduced party, instead of just one random old man seeking "justice" who's already dead? With such erratic pace, it's hard for me to tell whether I missed something, or if they're going to explain what's going on throughout the series.

So apparently we'll learn in the next episode that the enemy mixed Loran for a girl when he was piloting the Gundam, as an excuse for the previous mixup? Ugh...
Dec 17, 2011 1:04 PM

Jul 2010
I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the warmongering of the earthnoids, and the protagonist's insistence on encouraging them. The spacenoids come, centuries of power ahead of the earthnoids, show incredible patience with them, and still, they get attacked, a member of their peace delegation is killed, their princess isn't provided any security at all and is led through what is basically a warzone, their suits are stolen, and they still maintain their defensive stance, as opposed to just leveling the continent with the ground. And for some reason, the protag prays for their princess to prevent the war, all the while providing leverage for negotiation and unnecessary pride/confidence to the aggressors by staying with them. Really now?
Aug 16, 2012 2:39 AM

Jul 2008
Well the Spacenoids did fire first and landed right in the middle of town...that would be cause to start fighting.

Besides how would you feel about being evicted from your home because someone else wants to come and claim it for themselves.

Spacenoids still have some explaining to do..but I have to admit on getting confused with what each character is doing.
Dec 12, 2012 12:26 AM

Jun 2009
Eh, I think this is suggesting that there was someone else behind the Colonel's death. Most likely Guin himself was behind it and is trying to find some sort of scape goat to cover his tracks. I think the series is wisely holding back on what is going on here.

As far as the fighting. I don't know, I think the Earthlings are definitely coming off as the worse of the two. It seems to me they go out of their way to fight and even seem to let that take precedence over everything else. In contrast, we don't really know much about Dianna and what she is really like. I won't be surprised if she isn't as "pure" as Loran naively thinks she is. But, we'll see.

I am kind of confused about what Loran is trying to accomplish here, though. If he is so enraptured with Dianna why does he keep fighting her forces?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 30, 2013 12:25 PM

Nov 2011
Fadeway said:
I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the warmongering of the earthnoids, and the protagonist's insistence on encouraging them. The spacenoids come, centuries of power ahead of the earthnoids, show incredible patience with them, and still, they get attacked, a member of their peace delegation is killed, their princess isn't provided any security at all and is led through what is basically a warzone, their suits are stolen, and they still maintain their defensive stance, as opposed to just leveling the continent with the ground. And for some reason, the protag prays for their princess to prevent the war, all the while providing leverage for negotiation and unnecessary pride/confidence to the aggressors by staying with them. Really now?

Ooh, you say it better than I do! What is this, Gundam Wing? I was particularly shocked by Dianna's lack of protection. For someone so idolized, they just let her walk down the streets of a contested city, uh? She's the last person who needs to be anywhere near danger right now. :S They obviously weren't expecting any resistance on earth before, but they should at least start putting up a defense now. I don't really understand how exactly the moon race plans to take back earth. I don't think everybody's in agreement as to when and how it will take place.

Maybe the Loran really is just unintelligent enough to think his actions will lead to peace somehow. -__- Maybe he isn't even shooting for peace, he just acts for his friends who happen to be members of all sorts of factions. At any rate, he could be a much better spy. v_v At least he isn't Amuro Ray. I'll never be too annoyed by him for that reason. <3
Feb 8, 2014 10:43 AM

Jun 2012
I really don't understand most of the characters motivations. I hope the next episodes will be more slow paced and explain everything better. Well, it's a Tomino work, so I'm not expecting a good character development.

Princess Dianna and this other girl are REALLY similar. I wonder if it will be important plotwise in the future.
Sep 10, 2014 12:17 PM

Aug 2008
It's simple, Loran keeps fighting to protect this revenge driven girl. He's split between the moonrace and his earth friends.
Sep 25, 2014 7:44 AM

Oct 2008
So far this has easily been one of the most lackluster Gundam series I've come across.Hell it even makes Seed look good in comparison,and that's saying a lot.

The pacing and the editing are just atrociously bad.Most scenes are just slapped together and cut away much to short.
Jan 24, 2015 6:21 PM

Jul 2010
Loran crossdressing in next ep preview? dear god.
Sep 4, 2015 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
Turn A in action was pretty cool, but I'm ready for him to get some good weapons, hopefully a rifle and maybe a beam saber would be tight.

I agree with everyone about some of the confusing shit happening but when you've watched as much Gundam as I have, you just get used to it. Lol
I'm more concerned with the MS designs and the animation of the fights. Haha
Oct 5, 2016 5:32 PM

Apr 2014
A lot ofthe MC's are bipolar, it seems. Oooooo'well.
Feb 22, 2017 8:09 PM

May 2010
Honestly, these comments are confusing me more than the show itself, and that's saying something for a Tomino production LOL!

The earthnoids are the worse of the two? They're not the invaders here, and they're not the ones acting like a superior species just for being more technologically advanced. To me, it seems like they're fighting to protect their homeland, though I admit that we don't yet know much about what happened in those failed 2 years of negotiations...

And y'all seem to be talking about Diana's lack of protection as if it were bad writing. The fact that she wasn't properly protected was used in this episode as a plot point; the earth ambassadors were seen as incompetent to fulfill the basic tasks of diplomacy. Diana's ambassador recognized this as such and demanded to take her back to the ship, but Diana was intrigued enough by the earthlings to go along anyways. There's quite a bit you can read into that scene when you think about it.
“Money can't buy dere”
Apr 3, 2017 2:16 AM

Dec 2015
TThe first part lost me at first. Was Guen's plan all along to be better seen or make indirect pressure through a failed attack? It's hard to tell when he is actively misleading both camps. (the mark of the villain?)

It's funny to see Loran fighting with such "barbaric" (and potentially uneffective) weapon when he is talking about i-Fields and there are beam weaponry on the other side.

Also, I don't understand how the Moonrace choosed a portion of the USAs rather than setting their choices of Europa's vastness.

Anyway, between the warlusting Sochie and co. and the superiority complex of the newcomers, the future is álready decided.

2/5 Let's see what Dianna is : a mere symbol or a conqueror?

PS: may I predict a "The Prince and the Poor" episode?

@St0rmblade "Erizona" seems like a poor transliteration of Arizona from the english script you're using.
Rei_IIIDec 24, 2020 7:23 PM
Sep 22, 2018 9:49 PM
Sep 2018
I am still trying to understand what is even going on and what motivates people to constantly have these incredibly bizarre decisions, but at the same time, I feel rather charmed by this series.
Dec 30, 2018 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
Seabury said:
And y'all seem to be talking about Diana's lack of protection as if it were bad writing. The fact that she wasn't properly protected was used in this episode as a plot point; the earth ambassadors were seen as incompetent to fulfill the basic tasks of diplomacy. Diana's ambassador recognized this as such and demanded to take her back to the ship, but Diana was intrigued enough by the earthlings to go along anyways. There's quite a bit you can read into that scene when you think about it.

Actually, that is a very good point. I was thinking like most on here as to why such little protection, but that makes perfect sense.
Apr 23, 2020 9:56 AM
Jul 2017
Amuro_Char said:
I really don't understand most of the characters motivations. I hope the next episodes will be more slow paced and explain everything better. Well, it's a Tomino work, so I'm not expecting a good character development.

Princess Dianna and this other girl are REALLY similar. I wonder if it will be important plotwise in the future.

Motivations may be fluid for certain. Not really sure I'm expecting a whole lot to be explained, but the basics of Gundam story telling are here. Thank goodness
is nowhere in sight. Hopefully that isn't referenced at all in this series.

I am enjoying the dark history plot of this though. Seeing the degrading weapons, but functional lift was cool. Bet we'll get to find out more of this. Really makes the series stand out.

I like the Queen's eyes.

Music is awesome.
Sep 24, 2020 1:34 AM

Sep 2014
This episode felt a good bit more "gundam" than the early episodes
I'm still not 100% if I like this show or not but I am finding it really hard to stop watching lel

This is such a unique and strange series!
Even more so that the marking teams allowed this to be called Gundam

Really brave artistic choices, I guess it still has some Gundam staples though
Dec 24, 2020 3:13 PM

Aug 2017
So apparently the car is too noticeable but it's fine for a Queen to go on foot (she definitely does not stand out, yeah).

I'm a bit confused in regards to Harry's rank. Is he a lieutenant? Or a colonel?

People are acting strangely in this episode. Suddenly Loran needs to lie to the guards. Can't he just, dunno, say that he's Kiehl's driver, like he did before?

"Ameria", "Erizona", militia, Tomino is really trying hard at recreating 19th century America.

All those CGI maps, eyecatches, the OP, ED and stuff are a staple of the era, I guess.

P.S. It took me 6 EDs to notice that Kiehl "turns" into Diana.

P.P.S. In the preview from ep. 5, Loran complains about the actions of Fran and Keith because...reasons?

Rei_III said:

@St0rmblade "Erizona" seems like a poor transliteration of Arizona from the english script you're using.

They just pronounced it that way. Maybe it's OK in Japanese, but to me it looked like a way to make the setting American without using the same names by distorting them a bit (common in anime - to avoid copyright or other complaints, etc)
St0rmbladeDec 24, 2020 11:02 PM
Jan 9, 2021 7:42 PM

Nov 2012
Normally it's the princess being the pacifist in gundam (Relena in Wing), but here we have the pilot being the pacifist...but kind of failing at it.
I already know it'll be important later on, the way to identify who is who is

That should be helpful for when they swap places occasionally.
VanishingKiraApr 24, 2022 12:34 PM
Jan 29, 4:00 AM

Jan 2008
Reply to Seabury
Honestly, these comments are confusing me more than the show itself, and that's saying something for a Tomino production LOL!

The earthnoids are the worse of the two? They're not the invaders here, and they're not the ones acting like a superior species just for being more technologically advanced. To me, it seems like they're fighting to protect their homeland, though I admit that we don't yet know much about what happened in those failed 2 years of negotiations...

@Seabury

Well said. I'm confused by the negative reactions in here, maybe people are too used to watching dumbed down writing.

I'm very confused by anyone defending invaders over victims, yeesh!

My only issue at the moment is the pacing of the show, as it does feel like the momentum of the narrative has slowed a bit. I'm also missing space action and colonies, but that'll come later I guess.

I was enjoying V Gundam in the beginning before it lost me and got boring and average. I hope that's not the case with Turn A...
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 29 Discussion

WolfWood37 - Sep 18, 2012

17 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 5, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 7 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 14, 2011

21 by Beatnik »»
Jan 29, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 4 Discussion

jacobpaige - Sep 6, 2009

24 by Beatnik »»
Jan 28, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 2 Discussion

jacobpaige - Sep 6, 2009

23 by Beatnik »»
Jan 28, 1:29 PM

Poll: » Turn A Gundam Episode 1 Discussion

jacobpaige - Sep 6, 2009

38 by Beatnik »»
Jan 28, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.