Forum Settings
Forums

The Fall of Facebook: What do you think might happen?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 10, 2011 7:02 AM

Jul 2011
I actually couldn't care less. I'm not a Facebook-fanatic, I only log in to see if I have any messages from friends. Other than that, I rarely use it.
It would be funny though if these anons succeeded in taking down Facebook. Temporarily or not, most of the users would go bananas and it would be on the news and everything.

Now, if Tumblr got taken down... that's a whole different story
Aug 10, 2011 7:04 AM

Aug 2009
I thought this thread was about Google+ :D

Aug 10, 2011 7:11 AM

Mar 2009
Kill facebook? Yes, please! Just for the lolz! XD
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 10, 2011 10:33 AM

Apr 2009
i like this

... said:
Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these so-called whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments, such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your "privacy" settings, and deleting your account is impossible, even if you "delete" your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more "private" is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family.

... said:
Privacy advocates have long warned that users of Facebook and other social networks who seek amusement from quizzes like "What Simpsons Character Are You?" might be mortified by the way creators of such applications can access and potentially "scrape" personal information -- not just about the quiz-takers, but their friends as well.

this is why they want to kill facebook... and i think they're right.
Aug 10, 2011 10:59 AM

Apr 2009
an update

Hacker Group Anonymous' Leadership Disowns "Operation Facebook," Only "Some Anons" Are Involved
http://www.businessinsider.com/anonymous-operation-facebook-2011-8
Aug 10, 2011 11:34 AM

Jan 2007
smokes said:
an update

Hacker Group Anonymous' Leadership Disowns "Operation Facebook," Only "Some Anons" Are Involved

Well, at least they're getting the right information this time. For a minute there I thought that Anon had a legitimate leader or branch. I know that's just poppy cock and all but I'm glad to see that there are some people in the news industry that does their research on this pointless things....

Aug 10, 2011 11:37 AM

Feb 2010
You can't "kill" FB with just DDoS, those wannabie h4x0rs don't know nothing more than just DDoS'ing, And all the little fanboys of Anonymous.. amusing.
LUL
Aug 10, 2011 12:21 PM

Jul 2010
tell me when it happen. i will make a "Congratulation to WWW" page.
Aug 10, 2011 12:32 PM

Jul 2011
myspace RIP

Bob is still my friend :(
Aug 10, 2011 1:38 PM

Jan 2007
Deceptikolz said:

Stupid question sounds stupid but I'm gonna ask said stupid question...I've never herd of Google+....what is it? And how is it any better then any of the previous hot social sites?

Aug 10, 2011 1:57 PM

Jan 2009
one-more-time said:
You can't "kill" FB with just DDoS, those wannabie h4x0rs don't know nothing more than just DDoS'ing, And all the little fanboys of Anonymous.. amusing.

From what they've done I think it's obvious they know a little more than just DDoSing (SQLi, XSS and RFI). Personally, while not a fangirl by any means, I found the fake Tupac is alive story they posted on PBS to be pretty funny.

As for FB, I think they have too many servers on too many continents to just simply DDoS it. Even if they were able to do that, or even more (steal private data, logins, e-mails etc.), I truly wouldn't care. I might log into FB once a month at most, and the e-mail I used for it I made just for it.

Aug 10, 2011 2:37 PM

Jun 2009
OtakuFreak said:
Deceptikolz said:

Stupid question sounds stupid but I'm gonna ask said stupid question...I've never herd of Google+....what is it? And how is it any better then any of the previous hot social sites?

Google+ is Google's new social network. It's currently in beta. And all social networks are really the same, Google+ is no exception. The only thing that makes one more popular than the others is social trends, amplified by the fact that in order for a social network to serve its purpose, your friends have to use it.
Aug 10, 2011 2:43 PM

Aug 2008
OtakuFreak said:
smokes said:
an update

Well, at least they're getting the right information this time. For a minute there I thought that Anon had a legitimate leader or branch. I know that's just poppy cock and all but I'm glad to see that there are some people in the news industry that does their research on this pointless things....

No no, with every group(s), there are always leaders to spearhead a movement and the rest of the anons follow the trend. Yet, the direction of a movement is fluid until it dies down. Leaders can start the trends; but they cannot dictate its direction.

Like a wave, it has to start somehow. After that, the wave goes where it wants to go.

Finally, the news media is very very good @ being derped.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 10, 2011 2:51 PM
Apr 2011
Mark Zuckerberg is going to be pissed! LOL! x-D

Aug 10, 2011 3:02 PM

Sep 2008
Eh, all social networks are bound to fall sometime, whether its from hackers or the general public's shifting loyalties. I don't think I'd want one site for my entire life anyway...
Aug 10, 2011 3:02 PM

Jun 2008
Facebook is the greatest evil in all the internets...

They do the OPPOSITE of what makes the internet so great, and their delusional sheep go right along with it....cuz it's so kewl to have 10,000 friendz...

I don't really believe that anything will happen on Nov. 5....but, one day the situation will become so big and intolerable that a hero will arise, and save those who are brainwashed.
Aug 10, 2011 3:20 PM

Feb 2011
I'm rooting for them.
Aug 10, 2011 3:24 PM

Jun 2009
I still can't say I understand the Facebook hate, just like I couldn't understand the MySpace hate before it... It's just a social network, what's to hate? The majority of people on it certainly make idiots of themselves, but that's their own problem.
Aug 10, 2011 3:41 PM

Jun 2008
AbstractCalamity said:
I still can't say I understand the Facebook hate, just like I couldn't understand the MySpace hate before it... It's just a social network, what's to hate? The majority of people on it certainly make idiots of themselves, but that's their own problem.

It's detrimental to the internet.

Unfortunately because of it's disguise of popularity, functionality, and accessibility.....millions no longer care that all of their most private information is being sold to companies.

"YOU" may not be in facebook, but your family, friends, co-workers, etc are...

They share information that may contain yours as well, they share pictures, which unbeknownst to you, may contain pictures of yourself.

Facebook has already costs several REAL lives, not to mention the ongoing OBSESSION of documenting your life in there.

So no, it's not just about people making idiots of themselves, we're ALL at risk...
Aug 10, 2011 3:42 PM

Apr 2011
i could care less about facebook
i deleted mine a while ago because i never used it
Aug 10, 2011 3:44 PM

May 2010
OtakuFreak said:
Deceptikolz said:

i am going to say this in the least painful way possible.

it is made by google

google is the big brother of the internet and notorious for stealing information

i will never ever accept much from google in terms of my privacy.

in other words i have google plus and it's facebook with an organized friends list.
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Aug 10, 2011 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
alexcampos said:
AbstractCalamity said:

It's detrimental to the internet.

Unfortunately because of it's disguise of popularity, functionality, and accessibility.....millions no longer care that all of their most private information is being sold to companies.

"YOU" may not be in facebook, but your family, friends, co-workers, etc are...

They share information that may contain yours as well, they share pictures, which unbeknownst to you, may contain pictures of yourself.

Facebook has already costs several REAL lives, not to mention the ongoing OBSESSION of documenting your life in there.

So no, it's not just about people making idiots of themselves, we're ALL at risk...

You say that like personal information is safe otherwise...

Fact 1: People (marketing companies especially) want your personal information.
Fact 2: That information is already held my numerous sources who aren't you, your family, or anyone who gives a damn about your privacy.
Fact 3: Your personal information is already a commodity, with or without Facebook's help.

Any store you shop at (particularly if you get one of their "reward cards"), banks, telephone companies, employers, even the state itself all have some of your personal information, and rarely do they agree not to sell it. Even when they do, who's going to stop them?
AbstractCalamityAug 10, 2011 4:08 PM
Aug 10, 2011 4:29 PM

Aug 2007
I really dont care about facebook. What ever it happens it will be ok.
Aug 10, 2011 8:33 PM

Jun 2008
AbstractCalamity said:
You say that like personal information is safe otherwise...

Fact 1: People (marketing companies especially) want your personal information.
Fact 2: That information is already held my numerous sources who aren't you, your family, or anyone who gives a damn about your privacy.
Fact 3: Your personal information is already a commodity, with or without Facebook's help.

Any store you shop at (particularly if you get one of their "reward cards"), banks, telephone companies, employers, even the state itself all have some of your personal information, and rarely do they agree not to sell it. Even when they do, who's going to stop them?

Yeah, you're right, but Facebook is an acceleration to that process, you've got far too many members posting down every single bit of their personal information so easily and indiscreet.
Aug 10, 2011 9:33 PM

Jan 2009
alexcampos said:
Facebook is the greatest evil in all the internets...

They do the OPPOSITE of what makes the internet so great, and their delusional sheep go right along with it....cuz it's so kewl to have 10,000 friendz...

I don't really believe that anything will happen on Nov. 5....but, one day the situation will become so big and intolerable that a hero will arise, and save those who are brainwashed.

That's just people. Get over yourself and stop grouping things up together. Facebook is a great tool to stay in touch with friends who have moved away and what not. You should never judge something by it's fanbase. Ignorance is astounding sometimes.
Aug 10, 2011 9:51 PM
Aug 2010
burntlettuce said:
Facebook is a great tool to stay in touch with friends who have moved away and what not.

I guess those people have never heard of a telephone, e-mail, IM, and what not.

Facebook is hardly for what you've said it's for, it's mostly used to talk about mundane everyday things, it's a glorified blog.

I'm not in favor or against facebook's fanbase, but I would definitely say it's privacy issues are a big problem. I would also say that if Facebook disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't be sad.
Aug 10, 2011 10:02 PM

May 2011
i can care less for facebook xd
Aug 10, 2011 10:07 PM
Sep 2009
Would love to see LulzSec take a crack at FB (even though theyre supposedly retired).
Aug 10, 2011 10:08 PM

Jul 2010
I have a Facebook account myself but I doubt that their plan would work.
Aug 10, 2011 10:43 PM

Apr 2007
meh, then people can finally use their cellphones for its original intended purpose.
Aug 10, 2011 10:58 PM

Jun 2010
I used to use Facebook a lot, but now I really don't care for it. I'd love to see them take it down and watch everyone freak out about it~
My avatar is from Kowarekake no Orgel. Please stop asking.
Aug 10, 2011 11:22 PM

Oct 2007
Omnimalevolent1 said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
Anonymous isn't an organization of hackers. It's just a label for people who don't want to identify themselves. Also, the group that took down Sony's servers identified themselves as LulzSec, which means that they're not anonymous anymore. This is likely a completely different group. I honestly don't care though. Even if they manage to 'take down' Facebook, it would only be temporary. If they wanted to get rid of FB, they'd have to permanently damage their servers and backups or try to take them down legally.

yeah that is true... although supposedly lulzsec, after doing a bunch of their notorious hacks, joined with anonymous... So now... they are "supposedly" the same group.

Anonymous isn't an organization of hackers. It's just a label for people who don't want to identify themselves.

Jesus Christ.
Aug 10, 2011 11:28 PM

May 2011
I think people are too social now.
Shouldn't be that way but meh

So heres me calling you a faggot in public, so you get mad right? Means its true right? In most cases it would be but you care too much about your social image to let it go.
You get in a fight, get sent to jail and have men twice your size rape the hell out of you. NOW its true.

On the other hand you post something like that on facebook no one cares.
Everyones a nerd now good game.

:trollface:
Aug 10, 2011 11:44 PM

Apr 2011
I would get my life back! :OOOOOO
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.