Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 5, 2011 1:46 AM

Oct 2010
Daikichi is the father I wish I had.

Masako is like the mother I had and wished I hadn't..

Aug 5, 2011 1:55 AM

Jan 2010
I personally think Rin's reply was actually the best answer Daikichi could possibly have gotten. On the surface level she certainly has rejected the offer he made purely out of concern for her, and it seemingly places his grandfather above him in her eyes, but that's because she does see it that way; to Rin, regardless of whether they truly are connected by blood, Daikichi's grandpa is Rin's father, and she loves him as such. That doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't like Daikichi, and she shows that through her affectionate responses to him, but at the same time, there's just not enough space in a six-year-old's heart or time spent between them for her to accept him as a surrogate father... yet!

The answer also does Daikichi a whole lot more good than you might think. Consider once more the exchange between Masako and Daikichi: before they part, Daikichi tells her that Rin's opinion is important, and that both he and Rin will decide together. What really bothered Daikichi about asking Rin to become his adoptive daughter wasn't so much the question itself or whatever conclusion it will bring (Daikichi has guts! Remember episode 1?), but that she may have answered without understanding or expressing her own opinion on the matter. By confidently and strongly giving him the "NO", she's actually unknowingly affirming his beliefs in the way he's raising her. Note how he doesn't actually tear up until she tells him to be as he is.

----------------------------------END TL;DR -------------------------------------

Oh god, I just love how all the parents bring along proper cameras, but Daikichi busts out his phone.
Aug 5, 2011 2:09 AM

Sep 2009
This show is just the sweetest thing - and to think I only picked it up because I thought the art was nice... <3
Wonder who the guy who was with Rin's mother is? - would make some sense if he was Rin's father as someone suggested, because of the haircolor... althou, then why would she dump her kid with the old man she was working for? and why the heck would he accept it as his? I don't get it...maybe we're just reading too much into it:P gimme next episode, laik nau!!! :D:D
Aug 5, 2011 2:12 AM
Jul 2011
TanukiBoi said:
NHKNegative said:
"Daikichi should just stay Daikichi."
;_;

Rin: I'll hold you too, next time you cry Daikichi.
; __ ;

I don't quite understand the emotional response of that scene, I mean the reason for the tear is puzzling to me.

anaaga said:
I tried to hate Rin's mother. Not working. Not that I like her, but I don't hate her either. It's just that...I just can't. There's something about this anime that makes me unable to hate even one of the characters.

I'm starting to think that Rin is getting too mature though for a six years old kid though

I can agree with you, although I didn't try to hate the mother I can understand the latter part.

And hm I was thinking the same thing about Rin heh.

But man, Rin sure is cute and funny, like the bath scene, that was great when she was singing. And I love the scenes where Daikichi wonders/questions the role reversals heh, puurrty funny.
Aug 5, 2011 2:25 AM

Aug 2010
Rin's mum is slightly more likeable in the anime than the source manga, more obvious that she's distancing herself because she feels helpless and not just because of work.

Other than that the last scene, omg cutest moment of the year so far.
Aug 5, 2011 2:29 AM

Jan 2009
loved the scene after ed...
Aug 5, 2011 4:07 AM

Sep 2010
Nice episode. Funny that Daikichi said that he doesn't know anymore whether he is raising Rin or reversed.
Aug 5, 2011 4:12 AM
Jul 2011
Sweating in March...
Lol, nice comeback Rin

But seriously, that episode was semi-boss, mainly because of the mother. What a kid, abandoning your kid.

Other than that, great episode.
Aug 5, 2011 4:33 AM

Jun 2009
Rin is kawaii. This ep was so adorable, really. To bad it's only 11 eps :(

Aug 5, 2011 5:09 AM

May 2009
KeiranShikari said:
Rin's mum is slightly more likeable in the anime than the source manga, more obvious that she's distancing herself because she feels helpless and not just because of work.

I can definitely agree with that. i recall myself raging after reading that part in the manga. My reaction after watching that in the anime was so much more subdued that it gave me pause.
Aug 5, 2011 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
I hate Rin's mother. I hated her since her first appearance in the manga and I still hate her now.
Not for the fact that she abandoned Rin. (Actually I still despise her for it) But for the fact that she acts like she has nothing to do with her. She doesn't even seem to care that much. ugh, this episode kinda hit close to home.
For some reason she seems more sympathetic in the anime. I wonder why?
I'm probably going to re-read the manga after the anime.

TanukiBoi said:
NHKNegative said:

;_;

; __ ;

My heart strings were pulled so tightly ( ; ^ ; )
Aug 5, 2011 6:22 AM

Apr 2011
I'm happy that both of them are coming closer together. Cannot wait until next episode release.
Aug 5, 2011 7:27 AM

Jan 2011
I'm skeptical that Rin is Daikichi's granpa's daughter. Correct me if I remember incorrectly but granpa didn't specifically admitted Rin is his daughter. Neither did Masako said that Rin was his. Daikiichi didn't confirm this fact. May be there's a great misunderstanding in all of these and that granpa just took Rin as his own. Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups (that includes me assuming there's a great misunderstanding here).

I'm not trying to defend Masako but just looking at it at a point that it could have been worse for Rin. Sure she's really a failure, but not that epic. She admits she's a failure of a mother and immature in my opinion. She did tried to take care of Rin however (proof is in the health card). But some people just really care for themselves more than others, even their children. What could be worse for a child being abandoned by their failure of a mother? How about being abused. Physically, emotionally and/or psychologically. Knowing she couldn't take proper care of Rin is a big factor for Rin's future. Rin will have a better childhood if she didn't stay with her and she knows it, but it's a gamble since she's not familiar with granpa's family. But that doesn't excuse her or can it be used to justify her irresponsibility. I'm hoping that in this story, she'd come to her senses...But that would be a new ordeal for Rin.
asgardianAug 5, 2011 7:51 AM
Aug 5, 2011 8:01 AM

May 2010
The time when the children waving their goodbyes in the nursery and Daikichi held hands with Rin was such a soothing moment.

I don't know what to think about Rin's mother for leaving Rin with such a weird personality but she's pretty hot.

"Am I raising Rin or is she raising me?" Excellent question Daikichi!! :D
StormViruzAug 5, 2011 8:07 AM
Aug 5, 2011 9:01 AM

May 2010
I feel like I just graduated from nursery school too. Did he really cry when she told him he needs to remain as himself only?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 5, 2011 9:13 AM
Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
mystik said:
what a useless mother.
Useless? How about pathetic and foolish. I was so RAGE @ the mother! Rage @ unlimited times. I kind of fake slapped the screen once I saw the screen. I said I would do that and I did. That mother should not deserve Rin at all. RAGE at the mother.

Yeah, I was getting mad at how airheaded she was while talking to Daikichi that I wanted to slap her myself. I mean really, we're talking about her daughter, and it was like TRIED to to be just a bit more worrisome but epicly failed.

Murbella said:

I don't really blame her biological mother. Her life did not allow her to raise a child. When she got pregnant, her options were to either have an abortion or have the baby and leave it with someone who can take care of it. She did the later, causing Rin to be born and be successfully taken care of. Rin also never even knew she was her mother. This is a completely different situation than the previously mentioned Aishiteruze Baby.

Which is funny because Daikichi himself sacrificed a good job for a mediocre one just so he can raise Rin. Rin's mother even considered abortion if it wasn't for Daikichi's grandfather's support. She should have at least taken more responsibility for her actions.

The end though, my heart skipped a bit; it was so heartwarming.
Aug 5, 2011 9:20 AM

Mar 2008
This show can easily become a 10 for me. I love it so much. ;~;
Aug 5, 2011 10:09 AM

Feb 2010
Wow.. the mother... she's just... so odd. a lot different than I anticipated.

But yeah I'm starting to think g-pa wasn't the real dad... but that boyfriend w/ the blonde hair was.
Aug 5, 2011 11:01 AM

Jul 2009
Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Pfffffft, fukken knew it.

A nice episode anyways~<3
Aug 5, 2011 11:58 AM

Sep 2009
Amaya-no-Hime said:
The scene after the ED was just d'awwwh.
Rin is too precious <3

I'm kinda upset with Masako, but she honestly has her own circumstances and it's not like she abandoned Rin on the road or anything. She clearly does kind of regret it but raising a kid would've really screwed up her life.
Yes Rin is super cute and mature! I love the brushing teeth scene :D Yes and glad there's at least someone who understand that raising rin would screw up her own life...since she's still so young. And Rin won't have a good childhood too. People should understand...but i really want to know who's the father before i say anymore.
shinki7Aug 5, 2011 12:58 PM
Aug 5, 2011 12:25 PM

Apr 2008
Masako isn't hateful or abusive, she's simply irresponsible to the n-th degree. Just goes to show not all women have maternal instincts. Some make pretty crappy mothers. It would be pretty easy to make her a cartoon villain but this show really handled that well.

...that mega spoiler...i read it...helluva timeskip, that.
Aug 5, 2011 1:05 PM

Aug 2007
Rin's mother is very contradictory. She wants to be a woman who is free to do whatever kind of job she wants, yet at the same time she says she has no attachment to her surname -- that it will change once she gets married or something. She seems very young that way, trying to assert herself in such a male-dominated workplace (manga) while still being tied down by such traditional values.

Masako isn't necessarily a bad mother, but just one example of another woman who is not responsible enough to care for a child while still wanting to do what she wants. Would you guys rather Rin be with her and live in neglect? Things happen, and Rin is much better off being with Daikichi.

Man, this show is socially deep.
Aug 5, 2011 1:34 PM

Aug 2008
You know that feeling when you almost cry, but not out of anger or sadness but happiness? This show makes me feel it all the time.

I love, love, love this heart-melting anime. The characters are so natural, in good and bad.
Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM

Sep 2010
windy said:
I'm kind of conflicted about Masako's decision but I can definitely understand where she's coming from. Of course the right decision would have been to not have the baby or give it up for adoption...
She obviously cares about Rin and made this decision with the hope that she'd have a stable parental figure in her life, which she did get. Rin probably would have turned out fine if Masako had kept her since she's incredibly independent to begin with, but Masako not being motherly or wanting a child put the nail in the coffin.

Well the apparent father urged her to keep the baby and was the primary care giver and Rin was listed as his 'adopted' child in the family registry. Daikichi was just updating the mother that he was taking care of Rin now and had no intention of trying to get the mother involved with raising Rin.

Aug 5, 2011 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
This show is so beautiful.
I don't want it to end.
Aug 5, 2011 4:51 PM

Mar 2011
PR3DAT0R said:
Cirris said:
Seriously, the whole things about about the surname change made me want to yell out a spoiler in a crowded theatre.

MAJOR SPOILER...

Lol me too, I expected that to happen. This always happens to most anime where the kid is growing up with someone who's not related to her/distant relative of hers
Aug 5, 2011 5:34 PM

Apr 2007
>I'll hold you no matter how old you are

;____;
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Aug 5, 2011 6:38 PM

May 2011
anaaga said:
PR3DAT0R said:
Cirris said:

MAJOR SPOILER...

Lol me too, I expected that to happen. This always happens to most anime where the kid is growing up with someone who's not related to her/distant relative of hers

I'm sorry guys. I did as much as i could by saying "MAJOR SPOILER" before the spoiler button. But that whole scene at Daikichi's parents i kept thinking about it, hense my wanting to scream it out.

BTW, Yumichi this spoiler is to your question...

Another Major Spoiler!!!
Aug 5, 2011 7:28 PM

Nov 2010
Reading the comments in this thread, some ways of taking the line can be seen. I think Rin doesn't care about the biological or formal relationship with him. Daikichi is only Daikichi for her. She just wants him to stand by her. Unfortunately, both the show (and the comic) express it poorly.

By the way, too further references to the comic appear in this thread. Shows should be appreciated by itself. Knocking from the back door may be annoying for some people. (It depends on circumstances. If people can get clues from the omitted parts from the original, the mentions would be helpful.)

"I'll hold you the next time you cry, Daikichi."
How sweet of her.

"Am I raising Rin, or is she raising me?"
Good point(^-^; It seems parents also grow through the parenting.
Aug 5, 2011 8:09 PM

Jul 2007
from all the episodes, this is the episode which makes my heart melt and drop tears.. and more, I wanna have baby right now! but only if the baby's gonna be like Rin..
Aug 5, 2011 9:23 PM
Mar 2010

Translation is wrong.
Rin said, "I like Daikichi is Daikichi."
Original Japanese is "Daikichi wa Daikichi de ii."
it's very simple.
Rin's words in original manga and anime are appropriate for her age.
Aug 5, 2011 9:56 PM

Mar 2011
Cirris said:
I'm sorry guys. I did as much as i could by saying "MAJOR SPOILER" before the spoiler button. But that whole scene at Daikichi's parents i kept thinking about it, hense my wanting to scream it out.

Oh I'm fine with it, I already guess it's going to be like that, and I was right. This always happens with this kind of manga/anime, most of the time
Aug 5, 2011 10:32 PM
Jun 2011
Show is soooo good.

Red-Head guy, he her boyfriend or brother? I'm inclined to think he's a BF...
Aug 5, 2011 10:43 PM

May 2011
PaninaManina said:
mystik said:
what a useless mother.

Yumekichi11 said:
Useless? How about pathetic and foolish. I was so RAGE @ the mother! Rage @ unlimited times. I kind of fake slapped the screen once I saw the screen. I said I would do that and I did. That mother should not deserve Rin at all. RAGE at the mother.

Hoppy said:
Rin's mom needs to be slapped silly. Parental abandonment is terrible especially for the mother.

Hohohohoh you guys don't see nothing yet.

And, someone make foreshadow here.

lmao
Aug 5, 2011 10:45 PM

Aug 2008
TanukiBoi said:
NHKNegative said:

;_;

; __ ;

Best line from Rin this episode and probably for these first 5 episodes. Daikichi is a real man but he is also becoming a real father by learning that a child-guardian/parent relationship is a 2 way street, not a one-way street: Children can teach you something that you'd never would have been able to learn by yourself.

If I were to have a child like Rin, I would be the most blessed father in the world.
"Those of us who have the dreams and the passion to be able to overturn common sense are the strongest" Kuroyanagi Ryo, Yakitate Japan! Episode 24.

"Lelouch Vi Britannia commands you, all of you, to die!" -Lelouch Lamperouge

Aug 5, 2011 10:52 PM

Sep 2010
Sartory said:
Show is soooo good.

Red-Head guy, he her boyfriend or brother? I'm inclined to think he's a BF...

I asked that too but the only spoilers people are interested in posting are the end I guess. So I checked out a few volumes and only looked for panels containing Masako and figured out his relationship at this point in the story.

A little info about the guy:

Aug 6, 2011 5:03 AM

Apr 2009
I've read the spoiler... >_< My own curiosity got the best of me, ah whatever at least it was my decision to be spoiled. XD Speaking about decisions, Daikichi is one great guy to try adopting Rin and Rin is so mature for her age to decline the offer.

Initially I was annoyed at Masako, then near the end I kinda understand her perspective though I don't necessarily agree with her being that irresponsible. Damn it, the series is almost halfway through. I wish this would never end.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 6, 2011 6:54 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I kinda think that single mom will be daikichi wife.

Yumekichi11 said:
Murbella said:
I don't really blame her biological mother. Her life did not allow her to raise a child. When she got pregnant, her options were to either have an abortion or have the baby and leave it with someone who can take care of it. She did the later, causing Rin to be born and be successfully taken care of. Rin also never even knew she was her mother. This is a completely different situation than the previously mentioned Aishiteruze Baby.
Yes it is but that does not mean both are not related in mother abandoning their child. That was most of thee point I wanted to make and that was a reasonable excuse to abandon a child VS the reason of the mother in this series. No it was damn lame I find.
PaninaManina said:
If you know something about the manga not mentioned here or in the anime maybe you should tell us in a spoiler because I am damn curious right now.

.. i wonder in first place why manga artist banged old man? Was she that lonely , airhead or wtf? Anyways this is weird mom.. thank god that somone good as Daikischi took him in..
sakaAug 6, 2011 10:21 AM
Aug 6, 2011 10:12 AM
Jun 2008
Daikichi crying lol

Luv the tsundere family ^_^
Aug 6, 2011 11:54 AM

Feb 2011
Daikichi. Protagonist of the year.

Grandpa: Have an orange.
I loled.

Don't drink the bathwater.
More lulz.

Troll Daikichi sits in front during the play. Block all
the cameras!

Huge ouch at the end of the episode. I knew that hair color difference was significant.
How about a nice cup of rage?

Its made up for by the extra after the credits.
Aug 6, 2011 12:44 PM
Feb 2010
PaninaManina said:
mystik said:
what a useless mother.

Yumekichi11 said:

Hoppy said:
Rin's mom needs to be slapped silly. Parental abandonment is terrible especially for the mother.

Hohohohoh you guys don't see nothing yet.

And, someone make foreshadow here.
That's what happen with my mom, so :/

This was a really good episode, really heartwarming.
Aug 6, 2011 1:22 PM

Sep 2007
Love it, love it, love it! Best series of the season, I'm seriously in love with it! *___*

Aug 6, 2011 1:58 PM

Jan 2010
Murbella said:
I can't see his grandfather being the biological father of Rin. His grandfather was EXTREMELY old and looked it. Rin's mother, even now, is a very young looking and extremely attractive woman. Age gaps are one thing, but this is a bit much to take seriously in the current circumstances.

But then Souichi would have to be in on the deception. I guess it's possible.

As to Masako, yes, she is young and attractive. However, she's also a space cadet. And since she's seemingly willing to do extreme things because she thinks they're the right thing to do (e.g. abandoning Rin for work), it wouldn't be really out of character for her. But we don't know that much about her or what really happened before episode one.
Aug 6, 2011 5:01 PM

Jun 2009
Oh the last scene. Oh. ;_;
Aug 6, 2011 11:59 PM

May 2011
Rin has an...interesting family. Just look at her mother: 50% maid, 50% mangaka, 100% useless bitch.

Otherwise, an extra-adorable episode :)
Aug 7, 2011 3:25 AM
Feb 2011
ITT judgemental people hating on the mother and not looking further than "omg Rin is adorable, what a monster for abandoning her".
YOU DON'T KEEP A KID JUST BECAUSE IT'S CUTE.
I sure hope you people aren't this self-righteous IRL, not being able to think about what it'd be like if you were in that other person's shoes. This isn't Care Bear world, "shit happens" is the very definition of life. Sorry if the real world doesn't follow your idealistic vision of how life should be.
Hatbox's post on page 2 summarizes my thoughts pretty well.

Other than that, great episode. Can't wait for next week's. :)
Aug 7, 2011 3:44 AM
Jun 2008
Her mother is just lack of understanding .Masako only wants what best for the kids of what she think its the best, so she never even tried to ask Rin for what she really want.Masako only know that she is not capable of caring for Rin. If Masako think herself is incapable of caring Rin, then thats the final answer for it .
Anyway,Daikichi can make Rin under Daikichi family anytime without Rin's permission. but that is not the right thing to do. Even if is only a kid. Kid still got its own right to think what the best for him/herself sometimes, especially if its an important matter .
Well...usually parent make critical decision without Kids concern anyway. Its not something new .... >.>
Aug 7, 2011 11:27 AM

May 2009
Lot's to think about. Good development. The biological mother.. I understand her viewpoint... And she still feels worthless... She binges when she's upset.. :)
Love the ending... Sentimental.. Ah!

Love this show.. Love it.
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Aug 7, 2011 1:13 PM

Feb 2011
what a great ending, lol
Aug 7, 2011 9:57 PM

Jun 2009
MoonFox said:

"Am I raising Rin or is Rin raising me?" That gave me a laugh

I lol'ed as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jul 7, 2011

365 by astroreload »»
Jan 21, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.