Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2011 10:16 AM

Jan 2010
Have fun. Just remember it's not going to be all fun and games. You will have to make the best of it. The experience will be shaped by you, not what you expect from it. Oh, and try to find some other imported English teachers or other foreigners to help you out. Much easier than trying to do everything yourself first hand.
neverLampAug 6, 2011 10:20 AM
Aug 6, 2011 10:41 AM

Jun 2009
I have a friend who has a bachelors in English and History and he teachers English in Japan. I don't think it is too terrible and idea, if you are interested it in go for it.

well he speaks some Japanese, which is a plus.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 6, 2011 12:50 PM

Jul 2010
wildr0y said:
notsureifsrs said:
That sounds crazy, but it's ultimately your decision.

I don't see exactly how it's crazy. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my life, this is a way to get a decent amount of money and its a good place to live. Where I live now is pretty shitty and I'll move out of the country regardless. So why not go somewhere that I'll enjoy and have a steady job.
I am in the same position as you are. I have considered TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language, for those who don't know) Teaching for a while now. After further research with (and without) my Careers Advisor, I've realised that I need to think about a few things carefully:

1. Are you good at teaching classes? You will be required to teach classes of up to at least 40 alongside a native-japanese English teacher. Having poor communication skills/no patience/unfriendly will not get you a job in an eikawa.

2. Your contract will only last about a year. What do you plan to do after that year?

3. You will be earning just over the minimum wage. You may be thinking "but hey, it sounds a lot!" but please consider the fact that the cost of living in Japan is very high.
Aug 6, 2011 12:57 PM
Jul 2011
Aetherius said:
wildr0y said:
notsureifsrs said:

I don't see exactly how it's crazy. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my life, this is a way to get a decent amount of money and its a good place to live. Where I live now is pretty shitty and I'll move out of the country regardless. So why not go somewhere that I'll enjoy and have a steady job.
I am in the same position as you are. I have considered TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language, for those who don't know) Teaching for a while now. After further research with (and without) my Careers Advisor, I've realised that I need to think about a few things carefully:

1. Are you good at teaching classes? You will be required to teach classes of up to at least 40 alongside a native-japanese English teacher. Having poor communication skills/no patience/unfriendly will not get you a job in an eikawa.

2. Your contract will only last about a year. What do you plan to do after that year?

3. You will be earning just over the minimum wage. You may be thinking "but hey, it sounds a lot!" but please consider the fact that the cost of living in Japan is very high.

It's high, maybe if you live in the heart of Tokyo. It's not expensive everywhere. Contracts can be renewed (and are renewed almost all the time), ESPECIALLY if you have a good relationship with your boss and have a good reputation and all that. I do agree with your first point though. Impatience and low tolerance will not help when dealing with children, but that's pretty obvious, OP should kind of know that.
GanbareNipponAug 6, 2011 1:17 PM
Aug 6, 2011 1:03 PM

Jul 2010
GanbareNippon said:
Aetherius said:
wildr0y said:
notsureifsrs said:

It's high, maybe if you live in the heart of Tokyo. It's not expensive everywhere. Contracts can be renewed, ESPECIALLY if you have a good relationship with your boss and have a good reputation and all that. I do agree with your first point though. Impatience and low tolerance will not help when dealing with children, but that's pretty obvious, OP should kind of know that.

I am just making sure.

There is also the issue of getting a Bachelor's Degree. Is OP willing to study in university to meet this requirement? About 80% of the advertisements I've seen require you to get a Ba/Hons degree.
Aug 6, 2011 1:23 PM
Jul 2011
Aetherius said:
GanbareNippon said:
Aetherius said:
wildr0y said:
notsureifsrs said:

It's high, maybe if you live in the heart of Tokyo. It's not expensive everywhere. Contracts can be renewed, ESPECIALLY if you have a good relationship with your boss and have a good reputation and all that. I do agree with your first point though. Impatience and low tolerance will not help when dealing with children, but that's pretty obvious, OP should kind of know that.

I am just making sure.

There is also the issue of getting a Bachelor's Degree. Is OP willing to study in university to meet this requirement? About 80% of the advertisements I've seen require you to get a Ba/Hons degree.

By the looks of it, the OP has already made up his mind. I'm almost certain that you need a (minimum) of a Bachelor's Degree in order to get a working visa in both Korea and Japan. That said, he's going to need one anyways to get a decent job in his own country, so it's kind of obligatory.
Aug 6, 2011 2:05 PM

Feb 2011
According to this: http://www.all-about-teaching-english-in-japan.com/
You don't even need a bachelor's degree.
Aug 6, 2011 5:27 PM

Jul 2010
kalas182 said:
According to this: http://www.all-about-teaching-english-in-japan.com/
You don't even need a bachelor's degree.
You probably don't. But people putting up the advertisements say you do. They want qualified people. Not everyone who is a native english speaker will get the opportunity.
Aug 6, 2011 7:52 PM

Jul 2011
No, you don't need a bachelors degree but in order to get better paying schools there you should have one. It makes everything much easier. I'm also aiming for the JET program so I can be much more qualified.

I also realize it's expensive to live there but its not much more expensive then where I live now. The area that's really expensive is if you live in actual Tokyo or areas like that.

I also understand about the 1 year contracts, they almost always get renewed if you are good at your job. I am confident with the amount of time I'm putting into this that I will do very well at my job.

All the people telling me to learn Japanese, I already am learning that so everything will be easier. I'm also going to study over in Japan for a term so I can start getting used to it.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and input, everything really helped and I have considered everything you guys said.

I'm already taking steps towards teaching English. I will be starting university in a few months. I'll be double majoring in English and Education, as well as taking Japanese courses. I've looked up everything and spent weeks and weeks of time looking up all the different things in Japan that I will need to know to live there successfully.

Wish me luck guys, I'll be starting courses soon!
Aug 7, 2011 9:31 AM
May 2011
I'm probably way too young/inexperienced to even contribute any worthy input but I think Tachii has a good point about asking people whom have actually experienced some form of foreign teaching but Wildr0y f your really that passionate about teaching something like English in Japan; go for it - that's if your capable.

LSK
Yoo-HanSolAug 7, 2011 9:36 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.