Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2008 9:49 PM

Feb 2008
im not sure what to make of it. on one aspect, it reminds me of something of miyazaki, as far as animation and some story line. on another, you get a rather preachy tone from it, which i absolutely hate in a movie or show. one one side, the show would flow very well and ud just enjoy it, and on another, you get the feeling that the author wants to beat into your head that humans are bad, pretect the forrest etc... this is something normally found in most American animated movies like Happy Feet and others.

while watching it, i thought, Princess Mononoke...haha or Spirited Away. if you have seen those you know what i mean....kamo. other times it just got too corny to make you want to turn it off....or skip to the end.

at the same time though, i guess you have to remember that the kids are only kids... so you sort of get that from the dialogue and story progression. that part annoyed me but i digress. over all it was a good anime, but it could have been better.

haha the very end feels like a child's prank hehe.
kisamiJun 27, 2008 9:57 PM
Jun 28, 2008 12:08 AM

Nov 2007
I didn't find it particularly preachy. Nowhere near as say, Arjuna. The story was pretty solid, I think. It wasn't all "progression is bad, stop the dams" it was "these guys are here to kill an endangered species so they can build a dam" which certainly is wrong. Though yeah, having the dam there at all would be a bit of a downer, it didn't get in to that specifically. =p

But yeah. Much like Mononoke Hime. Very solid, enjoyable story, even if a little on the antisocial side (though Miyori did rely on her friends and the townspeople in the end, so, not even all that antisocial.) so really, it's fine.

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. Brilliant movie.
Jun 29, 2008 8:15 AM

May 2007
I must admit, I really liked it. Ghibli rip-off or not, it was worth watching. It was a bit like Only Yesterday, Mononoke Hime and Mokke; and the American-cliche-like "let's save the forest" plot, but the creatures were soooo awesome ^_^
I really liked the graphics, the creatures, the countryside itself [omg, that school was simply amazing :D], and... Almost everything :)
The plot could've been a little more interesting, but it was good enough, there are many animes that bore me to death after 5 minutes >__> Luckily, this was not one of those :D
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Jun 29, 2008 7:27 PM

Feb 2008
i would say, the begining of the anime was good...and as it progressed, it kinda got a little dull. at some points, it felt like they should have added more or they rushed a little. you can really see that at the end. of course when i have seen some high quality work like that of studio ghibli, i tend to be critical of work that looks similar but falls short. i did enjoy the movie though.
Jul 9, 2008 10:39 PM

Oct 2007
lol really? For some reason, it took a while for the movie to grab my attention around the beginning. I thought that it grew better as it progressed. One gets to see more characters, the spirit in the spring, and the conflict that was occurring, etc.

I knew Miyori was going to undergo some serious character development, but before that time I found her to be quite rude and uninviting at first (lol). This is probably good, because it shows how drastic her character development was. Her change in personality was fun to watch, and with time I grew to like her character. It did have a slight Princess Mononoke vibe, but that's probably cause both films are portraying similar messages. "Help the forest! Fight the corporate dogs!?" lol...to an extent its rather true. Things like this happen in our environment everyday. People might not care so much because they are dealing with their own problems, but its a good because it raises awareness.

I didn't find it to be preachy at all, one has to keep in mind that its probably directed primarily toward children, so the message isn't going to be subtle. It'll probably be something they can understand, and with repetition those who missed it at first will see it for what it is.

Overall, I think it was pretty good. It might not meet up to some standards, but for the purpose its trying to accomplish, it does well. Besides, Miyori looked awesome in that jungle/witch outfit! (very guardian like indeed)

Ah... I'll stop rambling... its getting late

More topics from this board

Poll: » Miyori no Mori Episode 1 Discussion

cyruz - Jul 14, 2008

12 by CondemneDio »»
May 23, 2019 8:48 AM

» Forest Spirits

starshinesMonet - Jan 26, 2009

1 by 09890 »»
Mar 10, 2012 5:34 AM

Poll: » So...

Siing - Oct 10, 2007

6 by starshinesMonet »»
Jan 26, 2009 5:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.