Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 12, 2011 7:24 AM

Aug 2009
Synoptic said:

If spending ~10 minutes of healthy walking (or even less) 3 times a day, to the store/market/whatever bother you so much then you probably need a wheelchair more than a fridge, lazy asses.

Most of us are not so fortunate enough to live so close to a grocery store. Besides that doesn't it cost you more money not being able to buy perishable goods in bulk?
Aug 12, 2011 7:27 AM

Apr 2008
Considering how I used my fridge just an hour ago to get orange juice and toast, no. I use the thing every day of my life.
Aug 12, 2011 8:15 AM

Jan 2009
Synoptic said:
If spending ~10 minutes of healthy walking (or even less) 3 times a day, to the store/market/whatever bother you so much then you probably need a wheelchair more than a fridge, lazy asses.

EDIT: After reading some comments around here stating shock and disbelief at not owning a fridge or considering a car is an absolute requirement FOR GOING TO THE STORE (what.the.fuck?) I'm starting to fear for the future of mankind.

lol kids...

I live in the suburbs and the closest store is about 4 miles away, so 8 miles round trip 3 times a day would be 24 miles a day. I don't even want to think of how long that would take to walk while carrying groceries. I'll pass on the walking and stick to my car thanks. Even if I lived close enough to a store for it to only take 10 minutes of walking 3 times a day doesn't mean I'd be a "lazy ass" if I chose not to. You take that 30 minutes of walking and add in the time spent in the store and that's over an hour a day. Please, I have much better things I'd rather waste that time on if I had it. I work full time plus go to school full time. I have other commitments that take up time as well. What time I have left after that and homework/studying, I'd much rather spend enjoying myself. So like I already said, I'll put my "lazy ass" in a car and drive it to the store once a week. At least I won't be the one walking to the store at 2 in the morning when I want to satisfy a craving for an ice cold glass of water or a bowl of ice cream. I just thought of the worst part. No ice cold beer when I feel like one. What hell that would be....

Aug 13, 2011 2:16 AM

Jun 2011
I probably couldn't.

Aug 13, 2011 2:51 AM

Jan 2009
JadedLover said:
I live in the suburbs and the closest store is about 4 miles away

That is quite an opportunity for you to start a small business in opening a small store in your local area. That goes for anyone in your position. I'm not kidding. Think about it.
The lowly maggot under the trash.
Aug 13, 2011 7:50 AM

Jun 2011
If you play it Fonzie cool you can keep your foodstuffs cold without the aid of a refrigerator.

But you have to sleep eventually and once you do,
BAM!
Attack of the maggots
Aug 13, 2011 8:56 AM

Jun 2009
Synoptic said:
JadedLover said:

That is quite an opportunity for you to start a small business in opening a small store in your local area. That goes for anyone in your position. I'm not kidding. Think about it.
Even though people can just drive a few minutes to get to their favorite super-corporate-mega-store? Maybe if all the cars in the world stopped working.
Aug 13, 2011 9:19 AM

Jan 2010
I love cold drinks, so it would still be a pain, but I can live without refrigerators. I'd live off of fruits, cooked food, packaged foods, and salted meat.
Aug 13, 2011 12:13 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm, I think I could pull it off. Most of my daily menu consists of oatmeal with protein shake mixes and some fruit and veggies so yeah. I would have to buy the meat every day so it wouldn't go bad but yeah.
Aug 13, 2011 1:23 PM
May 2011
Lol, as the saying goes - the simple things in life or those which we take for granted are supposedly the greatest things; I guess that applies to refrigerators too.
It'd sure be tough living without a fridge of any type for me.

LSK
Aug 13, 2011 1:24 PM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
I <3 my fridge.

Just sayin.
Aug 13, 2011 10:09 PM

May 2010
I'm sure I could survive without it, though it would be a pain.
I don't really use it that often for food, more for beverages usually.
Aug 14, 2011 4:50 AM

Apr 2011
You don't need a fridge to make Ramen Noodles. 'Nuff said.
Aug 17, 2011 9:11 AM

May 2010
i would use salt
Aug 17, 2011 9:20 AM

Jan 2010
Currently, the main fridge in my house isn't work and it stinks...
The secondary fridge, or the basement fridge, works but it also stinks.
The refrigerator truly is a marvelous invention...but seriously someone should clean out my fridge -_-
Aug 18, 2011 12:17 AM

Apr 2010
Here's a blog from somebody who's gone without a fridge for thirty years.

http://littlebloginthebigwoods.blogspot.com/2007/03/no-refrigerator-for-30-years.html
Aug 18, 2011 12:56 AM

Jul 2008
I can live without a fridge in the house if I was forced to give it up. There is a grocery store and many restaurants (mexican, chinese, breakfast, steakhouse, fast food) close by.

Alas the inconvenience is not worth it. I will have to cook precise portions since I cannot keep leftovers. I will have to cook more often, which means more cooking utensils to wash.

If I decide to eat out more often, it would cost as much or more than the cost of owning and running the fridge. Making so many trips would cost more time and maybe fuel.

At one point I managed just fine with a 1.7 cu. ft. mini fridge. :D
Aug 18, 2011 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
AbstractCalamity said:
Synoptic said:
JadedLover said:

Even though people can just drive a few minutes to get to their favorite super-corporate-mega-store? Maybe if all the cars in the world stopped working.
It's exactly as the above poster said. We also have zoning laws which would most likely prohibit me from opening a business in the first place. We don't have the fresh food markets here in the U.S. that they have in Europe (I checked your profile to see where you lived), so we are trained from an early age to buy in bulk and keep things refrigerated. Not only is it cheaper but it's convenient as well.
Given the fact that I don't eat at home much to begin with, I'm quite certain I could downsize since there are many items in there that really don't need to be refrigerated to begin with. I would miss my ice and water, but could use trays and the tap since it has a filter on it. But to give it up completely? No, I just couldn't do it. I wouldn't go as far as to call it laziness as you stated in an above post, but convenience, yes.

Aug 18, 2011 10:30 AM

Jan 2009
zharnotczar said:
Here's a blog from somebody who's gone without a fridge for thirty years.

[url=http://littlebloginthebigwoods.blogspot.com/2007/03/no-refrigerator-for-30-years.html]http://littlebloginthebigwoods.blogspot.com/2007/03/no-refrigerator-for-30-years.html
Didn't realize eggs didn't need to be refrigerated.
And wow! This guy has a composting toilet?! Sorry, but that just sounds really nasty to me. I can see why the first wife left, and it wasn't an issue with the lack of closet space. I do realize we need to be a lot greener than we are, but this is too over the top for me. He has my respect though.

Aug 18, 2011 10:38 AM

Apr 2008
People did it in the past, and many still do it now. I'll keep using one while I have it, I mean, why not?

What about microwaves? My household has sworn off microwaves, could you do it?
Aug 18, 2011 10:45 AM

Jun 2008
astronomical said:
People did it in the past, and many still do it now. I'll keep using one while I have it, I mean, why not?

Well yeah is not that you won't be able to live without it but your quality of life will have a significant blow without one.

Microwaves are useless. Anyone can live without them without sacrificing anything really.
Are you perhaps from the US? I noticed that mostly US city folks are the ones who find them necessary. I never had one in my life and i can't even see a reason to buy one.
Aug 18, 2011 10:53 AM

Apr 2008
Monad said:
astronomical said:

Well yeah is not that you won't be able to live without it but your quality of life will have a significant blow without one.

Microwaves are useless. Anyone can live without them without sacrificing anything really.
Are you perhaps from the US? I noticed that mostly US city folks are the ones who find them necessary. I never had one in my life and i can't even see a reason to buy one.
Well, I was born in Russia, and we never used one there, but I live in the US and it's hard to get rid of it once you get used to it. Most Americans think they can't live w/o one I think, and some people only use a microwave. It's crazy how some people microwave their eggs when it only takes like 2 minutes to fry them.
Aug 18, 2011 2:49 PM

Sep 2008
I don't think that living without a refrigerator is possible, so I am going to say no.
Aug 18, 2011 4:03 PM

Apr 2010
astronomical said:
Monad said:
astronomical said:

Well, I was born in Russia, and we never used one there, but I live in the US and it's hard to get rid of it once you get used to it. Most Americans think they can't live w/o one I think, and some people only use a microwave. It's crazy how some people microwave their eggs when it only takes like 2 minutes to fry them.
Compared to frying eggs, it's incredibly clean to just microwave them. That said, I could very easily go without a microwave. Whenever I can avoid using it to cook a type of food, I do. Microwaves cook unevenly, and it pisses me off. So I cook on the stove. I like good food. It's worth the extra effort to me.
Aug 18, 2011 6:24 PM

Jul 2007
I just have to go live in the frozen North... problem solved.

In the past when I lived in Colorado, I put stuff that I need chilled or cold outside in the winter since at times, outside is most likely even colder than my freezer.

Hell, I might even stop using a fridge in the colder months to save electricity if I ever move back! Haha!
Aug 18, 2011 6:31 PM

Aug 2011
I heard that in siberia, they just put all their stuff outside and one our later it's completely frozen, so ... :D
Aug 19, 2011 6:46 AM
Aug 2011
That means without cold water.. Nah!
Aug 24, 2011 11:01 PM

Jan 2010
Retr0Master said:
I consider the fridge to be one of man kind's greatest inventions... despite how simple and common it is.

and to anyone who has played Civ. 4
Refrigeration - "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are."

in Civ, you research nuclear weapon first, than refrigeration (it matter of choice anyway). that's mean, Refrigeration is more advanced tech than nuclear weapon. lol
Aug 25, 2011 5:30 AM

Jun 2011
Go to somalia and ask the people there if a fridge is such an important thing in their daily lives
Aug 25, 2011 5:41 AM

Apr 2011
A fridge a good place to look inside when you're bored.
Aug 25, 2011 6:15 AM

Jun 2008
BORN2RULE said:
Go to somalia and ask the people there if a fridge is such an important thing in their daily lives

Well when you don't even have food you certainly don't need a fridge for it but telling us that isn't helpful. I wish they had a fridge and food to put in it but i can't do much about it, i barely put food in my own fridge.
Go tell the guys running the big banks and corporations along with their political minions to go and ask Somalians about a fridge, not us. There is enough resources and technology in this earth for us and them to have a nice fridge with food in it so my fridge isn't what makes them not have one but corruption and big bank accounts of specific persons.
Aug 28, 2011 1:59 AM
Dec 2009
I would surely die without the refrigerator.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Aug 28, 2011 2:25 AM

Nov 2010
Ramen noodles don't require a refrigerator so, it's pretty possible for me. :P
Aug 28, 2011 12:30 PM
Aug 2011
I don't use the fridge that much. If I'm hungry I go buy something, if the shops are closed I order pizza (I do this usually on Sunday). The only thing I store in the fridge is milk... I think I could live without a fridge.
Aug 28, 2011 1:52 PM

May 2009
1 day without Cold Capri Sonne = Instant death.
Aug 28, 2011 2:07 PM

May 2009
I could easily live without a refrigerator, mine is usually empty anyway as I mostly use it to keep drinks and water cool when it's hot. I generally only buy the food I would need for the day, so no need to store anything.
Aug 28, 2011 2:42 PM

Jun 2011
I doubt it. I eat a lot of sandwiches, and I need a fridge for that.
Aug 28, 2011 3:32 PM

Jun 2008
Living without the refrigerator? Do you mean that you broke my fridge? You're going to die.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Aug 28, 2011 3:36 PM

Sep 2008
I'd have to have a fridge for non-essential snacks, let alone real food. I don't think I could go for long without ice cream or gelato...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.