Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 29, 2011 9:29 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Creepy kids at the beginning.

A woman who knows Hyui since childhood, and Dalian is jealous.

Queen of Night = plant with book pedals.

No unlocking Dalian scene this ep.

lol @ Dalian keeps getting into that woman's pace with the temptation of sweets!!
tsubasaloverJul 29, 2011 10:22 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 29, 2011 10:18 AM

Oct 2010
Dalia being jealous was the MOE of this episode IMO.

Those kids reminded me of some lost ghouls around town. Well they made me feel like that.

Seriously this whole thing reminds me of this:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/497/Yami_to_Boushi_to_Hon_no_Tabibito
that is apart from the other animes it reminds people of. Now the reason suddenly it goes like this is that library + journey traveling except that Yami was more fantasy like and this being more realistic.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 29, 2011 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
Dalian may be really shy but when the sweets come she'll be all eyes and ears.

The Queen of the Night gave those thieves what they deserved, wasn't expecting that plant to be a maneater, but it's beautiful.

Jul 29, 2011 11:30 AM

Aug 2010
Village of the Damned like kids at the start and a plant that eats humans. Pretty creepy episode but it still is not as creepy as that ED.

Yumekichi11 said:
Seriously this whole thing reminds me of this:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/497/Yami_to_Boushi_to_Hon_no_Tabibito
that is apart from the other animes it reminds people of. Now the reason suddenly it goes like this is that library + journey traveling except that Yami was more fantasy like and this being more realistic.

Yeah, I can see how you think those are similar. I enjoyed Yami.
Jul 29, 2011 3:06 PM

Jan 2009
Kids. Almost as creepy as dolls.

Oh, Dalian. You're mean, aren't you? Spoiling the culprit in a mystery novel is like the ultimate killjoy. ( ¬‿¬)
But she does have a sweet tooth. Ah, yes. I do find that kind of cute.
And I love her guts.

Opening a school just to compete with another school.
That's just dumb. Might even call it childish. Which, in retrospect, is a really bad pun.
And I want a plant like that.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 29, 2011 4:15 PM

Jul 2010
I never thought that Dalian has such a sweet tooth. That's cute.
Jul 29, 2011 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
Hmm... I don't really like Dalian, much. Too much tsun-tsun. She kind of gets on my nerves.

This episode was a a little better than the last, but the pacing feels so weird. It was like, super intelligent kids -> "take the book" -> Burn it. Then the story just seems irrelevant.

But that plant was pretty interesting.
Jul 29, 2011 4:57 PM

Aug 2008
Sigh. Story about the Queen of the Night gives filler-like vibes but the worst thing was the first part. In the novels Book of Wisdom chapter was much more murky and thought-provoking. Here it was harshly shortened, flattened and unnecessarily changed.

Animation (except for Dalians character design) and music is top notch but story-wise I definitely prefer the source material. Seems like Gainax isn't cut out for adaptations either.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 29, 2011 5:21 PM

Aug 2008
Dalian is such a copy of Victorique. She reads a lot of books; is a tsundere; has knowledge on just about everything; does not get along with other people, especially women who are on good terms with the male leads; AND has a sweet tooth.

Anyways, interesting episode. I'm not sure why I enjoyed it (the first half of this episode was completely pointless... I mean, it turns out the kids are harmless and won't turn into criminals, wtf?), but this is enjoyable nonetheless.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 29, 2011 6:02 PM

Sep 2008
Waaaaaah~
This anime is complete with an absolutely fabulous Mamiko Noto with tons of sweets.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2011 7:43 PM

Oct 2009
Dalian's sweet tooth and insane tsun-tsun added with insults to Camille = Yep.

That plant ate the burglars. I find that VERY surprising.

Jul 29, 2011 8:24 PM

Jun 2010
That plant is awesome. If you spent your whole life (13 years) taking care of it, then it does not eat you? All lolies love sweets, this is a fact.

Jul 29, 2011 8:29 PM
Jun 2009
What the hell's with this season and its awful novel adaptations.

Seriously, if you're gonna make something bad, best not to make it at all.
Jul 29, 2011 8:31 PM

Dec 2010
guyklc said:
AND has a sweet tooth.

You mean like 90% of all cutesy anime girls. But yes she turned into the standard lolitsundere in no time.

The kids were interesting but I wonder why they even bothered to introduce them if all they do is have a little chat and leave. The rest was just filler. Overall a letdown.
Jul 29, 2011 8:44 PM

Feb 2011
Soooo

The cast of Gosick is back for a new show!

We're introduced to Avril this episode, a blonde who is disliked by the tsundere!

Great episode none the less. I like the creepiness!
Jul 29, 2011 8:49 PM

May 2010
LOL at Dalian when that guy steped on her book and the other ate her chocolates. xD
this anime wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't alot like Gosick. (Gosick was MUCH better tho.)
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Jul 29, 2011 9:31 PM

Apr 2011
The first part was the most disappointing part of the series. They could have made the story about the kids and the phantom book more interesting. Truly disappointing indeed.

The creepy kids reminds of the movie Children of the corn.

On the other hand, seeing Dalian insult the burglars is really amusing. Her sweet tooth adds more more to her personality. You can easily control her just be giving her sweets.
MagitoJul 29, 2011 9:34 PM
Jul 29, 2011 9:49 PM

Jan 2009
Rexky said:
Only difference is that Kujo Huey isn't a wimp, and is actually pretty cool. And has a vastly superior voice actor, in comparison to Kujo.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 29, 2011 10:09 PM

Mar 2009
WTF was the point of the first half?

Bleh. This has been disappointing so far.
Jul 29, 2011 10:12 PM

Oct 2008
Rexky said:
Soooo

We're introduced to Avril this episode, a blonde who is disliked by the tsundere!

Great episode none the less. I like the creepiness!

Haha, I definitely see the similarities.
Regarding the episode, how on earth does the first half relate to the second? They are like completely different stories. The burglar break wasn't that well developed and there was very little feeling of actual tension. However, it does get points for however a man-eating plant.
I was hoping for a more overarching plot to develop, but I guess I expected too much perhaps. Aside from slice of life and comedy, I don't think episodic plots work very well for other genres. Hopefully, I don't end up watching this show because of Dalian instead of the actual mysteries, similar to what happened to Gosick.

The OP is still godly however.
Jul 29, 2011 10:54 PM
Apr 2011
Mormegil said:
WTF was the point of the first half?

Bleh. This has been disappointing so far.

It looks like two unrelated stories are squeezed into one episode. They are short and were told very quickly compared with the past episodes. The second one is a bit more interesting than the first. As for
Datalian, she is as cute as ever especially when it comes to her love for sweets. ^^ Overall, it is an okay episode.
Jul 29, 2011 11:05 PM

Apr 2011
This episode was OK. In the first part we saw how a forbidden book of wisdom make children superwise. But I enjoyed part two much more. The predatory plant with book petals was awesome, and the burglars got what they deserved.
Maybe Dalian is a bit jealous when another woman appears close to Huey, but she can be tamed by sweets any time because she has a sweet tooth.
And this time there were no magic spells.
Jul 30, 2011 12:05 AM

Jan 2011
With enlightenment comes the power to change the universe.
With enlightenment comes the end of the desire to do so.

I was somewhat disappointed that the Queen of the Night ended up being a plant. I was hoping for either Lillith, Inanna or Mother Hecate.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 30, 2011 12:54 AM

Sep 2010
Fisrt part was incredibly boring. Second part was incredibly predictable.
AHYUKHYUK DID YA HEAR THAT? "Punishment for damaging one of my favorites." GET IT, BECAUSE HUEY IS ONE OF HER FAVORITES.
Ah, why do I bother?
Jul 30, 2011 1:04 AM

Dec 2010
Those kids might be planning something. I can feel it. >.>
A Dantalian no Shoka version of Avril lol. But she's smarter though.
Poor Dalian, first her scones,clotted cream and jam and now her swiss chocolates. She's so cute when she's being jealous. :)
Those thieves got what they derserved. :)
Aww no magic spells. :(
Jul 30, 2011 1:40 AM

May 2011
I really loled hard when Dalian explained to Huey about the characteristics of the "Queen of the Night" plant. A plant that grows in Africa, blooms every 13 years with a petal shaped like a book to lure greedy foreigners to come close, before it swallows and drowns them in its gestative juices? I would sure like to see one of those in action.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Jul 30, 2011 2:27 AM
May 2011
First half makes sense, the kids are just too smart to fuck around now. Second half was obvious if you happen to own one of those http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightblooming_cereus - the man-eating part was a surprise though.

New character introduced - nice. (Edit: I just realized you can actually see little Camille together with another girl in the flashbacks in ep. 1 when Huey reads the book Liber de Nymphis)

Dalian being lolitsundere - expected.

Dalian's sweet tooth - already known since episode 1 (sugar + bun)

All in all feels like a filler, but an okayish episode.
MorisatoKJul 30, 2011 2:43 AM
Jul 30, 2011 8:36 AM

Oct 2010
liked this episode, just gotta love how dalian hair twitch at the sight or sound of sweets!!! :p
Jul 30, 2011 8:48 AM

Jun 2009
Tbh, this was weak. Especially with the pretty much pointless first half. I gotta agree that it wasn't the same pattern again like with ep2 though.
Then comes a lot of Noto Mamiko and Dalian being all awesome around sweets. ~( ̄∇ ̄~)Also loved Dalian's cursing on the burglars, just pure win. <3
With that much effort they made a supposedly pointless episode awesome. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 30, 2011 9:49 AM

Nov 2007
so were the weird kids pointless or will they be back later? it just jumped right into those dumb burglars....

still watching for now but still kinda boring
Jul 30, 2011 10:24 AM

Apr 2008
I wish this tsundere girl no. 9305237509342759234759023457032475443450234, whose name is not worth remembering, would die. This story will be much better without her. Huey is the real star here and the only character that makes this series worth watching.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jul 30, 2011 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
Antanaru said:
Sigh. Story about the Queen of the Night gives filler-like vibes but the worst thing was the first part. In the novels Book of Wisdom chapter was much more murky and thought-provoking. Here it was harshly shortened, flattened and unnecessarily changed.

Animation (except for Dalians character design) and music is top notch but story-wise I definitely prefer the source material. Seems like Gainax isn't cut out for adaptations either.

what was changed?
Jul 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Jun 2008
huh... this was..boring. previous ep was much better. No plot at all.
And Dalian became a tsundere. =_= it doesnt suit her at all.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jul 30, 2011 11:03 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
rodac said:
With enlightenment comes the power to change the universe.
With enlightenment comes the end of the desire to do so.

This.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 30, 2011 11:30 AM
Nov 2010
I'm curious as to what those kids are planning, i seriously doubt they would just introduced them without any reason at all to the show. If i could guess, i think maybe they want access to the Bibliotheca.

Orulyon said:
huh... this was..boring. previous ep was much better. No plot at all.
And Dalian became a tsundere. =_= it doesnt suit her at all.

Dalian had already shown some tsundere-qualities since episode 1, so i don't understand why some people are surprised she acted as such.
Z-flameJul 30, 2011 11:38 AM
Jul 30, 2011 11:53 AM

Apr 2008
Z-flame said:

Dalian had already shown some tsundere-qualities since episode 1, so i don't understand why some people are surprised she acted as such.

Her tsundere tendencies in the previous episodes were not as annoying as in this.

Seriously, I don't mind tsundere girls as long as they only appear in moe shows for otaku, which I don't watch. But Dantalian no Shoka has some potential to be a good series and it doesn't need this sort of moe blob. It's a pity that instead of a more interesting female character, Huey is stuck with her.

I just want to see her dead.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Jul 30, 2011 1:10 PM

Apr 2011
This ep felt like two others got cut down to half the size and mashed together. I accidentally watched the second half before the first, and didn't even notice until the ED rolled 12 minutes 'early'. Avril (exact same role, hair color, AND hair style? You couldn't at least give her a ponytail?) was the only thing even vaguely linking the two parts, as well as Dalian's uncontrollable sweet tooth. I think the reason why Dalian was more bitchy this episode was because whatever else they cut out of the two eps when they got mashed together, they left in plenty of Dalian being tsun-tsun. So we got two episodes' worth of bitching condensed into one.

Highlights of the show were three "Yesu!"s, a Saiyuki reference and a new word I learned from the fansubs; artiodactyl, "even-toed", referring to animals whos feet are symmetrical in shape, like pigs and camels. The more you know!

The Dickensian rogues were the better of the two stories, IMO, since the super-smart kids 'case' went nowhere. "Oh, we're super-smart and all, but since we're aware of how likely we are to fail at anything, why try?" Hopefully they're pulling the wool over our heroes' eyes and will be returning with the creepiness later on.

4/5, entertaining enough but this clearly was intended as two seperate episodes.
Blind_GuardianJul 30, 2011 1:23 PM
Jul 30, 2011 2:22 PM

Aug 2008
AngelicFeces said:
AHYUKHYUK DID YA HEAR THAT? "Punishment for damaging one of my favorites." GET IT, BECAUSE HUEY IS ONE OF HER FAVORITES.

THIS and the spoilers, Dalian can be such an annoying girl. Huey is the man.
MALoweenMansion! 2021:

main candy:

extra candy: 4x

Jul 30, 2011 2:51 PM

Aug 2008
sirwence said:
what was changed?
They have cut out what happened before shopping, what happened in the bookstore, changed most of the lines, blonde's clothes, other teacher's character, discussion between Huey and kids, their explanation and some details after that.

Thanks to that this part lacked most of its original atmosphere, consistency, slight character development and, well... sense. There was enough material for a whole episode but instead we got only some scraps.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 30, 2011 4:05 PM
Jul 2010
Surprisingly, I liked this episode better than the previous ones. The pacing was much better then in the rushed episodes before. Ok, this might be due to the pointlessness especially in the first part. Although I give them credit for the bold anticlimax "they are too smart to do anything at all".

Fine, now we have:
- still beautiful art und really good sound
- Dalian making the total regression into tsundere moe blob
- no plot whatsoever

A beautiful, empty shell. Meh.
Jul 30, 2011 4:35 PM

Mar 2011
Why is everybody saying that Dalian is another copy of Victorique?
Yes, she's a tsun-tsun, but she's waaay better than Victorique. She has manners (talk politely) and has the badass power here. She got more than 1000+ books that can summon great spirits. I want those books. What does Victorique has? A freakin pipe she doesn't even smoke and a brain that Dalian also has. So, Dalian > Victorique.
AND she doesn't have that cheesy line Victorique says every time she solves a case. What was it again? "Well of wisdom" what?

Anyway, this episode is so-so. I actually like the first half better than the second because I like the moral of it. The whole idea where a plant has a book to attract the preys is just so...strange, for me.

And I hope we're going to get the new characters in action next week.
Jul 30, 2011 4:50 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah because this is an anime about books the plants also use a book shaped bait to lure their victims. Even for fantasy it's just stupid.

Seeing people adoring the overused sweet tooth behaviour I wouldn't be supprised if they add the stupid Victorique laugh next episode. And maybe she's rolling on the floor for cuteness sake?
Jul 30, 2011 5:28 PM

Dec 2009
I loved the first part. Especially the conclusion : Truly smart people don't give a shit about conquering the world XD
Jul 30, 2011 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
Episode 3 wasn't as great as the last two, especially the second half. I hope I don't end up watching this purely for the Dalian antics.

For those interested in references this episode, my interpretation of them is here.
SteelMaverickJul 31, 2011 6:15 AM
Jul 30, 2011 9:50 PM

Aug 2010
its not a bad episode, maybe its a break from Huey reaching into Dalian's chest lulz
i thought the first part was kinda bland, i dunno i felt like there wasnt a conclusion to it but alas, the kids were geniuses and rather freaky >_>;
the second part was just...i couldnt take it seriously at all LOL
the highlight of this episode i gotta say is Dalian's expressions towards sweets :3
Jul 30, 2011 11:56 PM

Feb 2011
Victorique de Blois + Victorique de Blois = Dalian (Mouthy than Victorique =_=)
Jul 31, 2011 3:21 AM

Jul 2011
Another episode I'm not really happy with. The first episode made the show seem like it had such promise then we get the last two. Nothing really bad about it but nothing really good, either. Not having to sit through the long, drawn out book sequence was nice but it still ended up being bland.

Dalian was a lot more annoying in this episode, though. Not half as much as Victorique yet but still. First part was okay. Don't think it was a waste but it might be if there isn't anything else done with the kids. Second part was just fine.

Going to keep watching, of course, but really hope it starts getting better. Becoming a pretty big disappointment as is. 6/10, 3/5.
Jul 31, 2011 7:32 AM

Feb 2008
so now i'm seeing this show's similarities with Gosick...

but honestly, though Dalian's tsun tsun moments were pretty annoying, i find her quite better than Victorique... well, of course, Victorique is more moe...

and Huey is far better as an MC than Kujo, or perhaps any other male MC i've seen lately...

but i seriously don't like the double episode format... i bet a lot of people just dropped this series because of that...
Jul 31, 2011 9:00 AM

Aug 2007
This episode was terrible. There was basically no segue from the first and second parts. Ooh children who discover a book of wisdom and decide not to conquer the world? So deep! The man-eating plant doesn't deserve to be commented on.

There's no point to this show at all. Huey is a complete tool and not even Daisuke Ono can save his character. Dalian is just a brat, and it'll be even more pathetic is she's actually some 100-year-old soul living in a child's body. Close to dropping this. Very close.
Jul 31, 2011 6:02 PM

Dec 2009
What the hell is going on with this show, i had so many expectatives about it. Could this be more rushed? Boring episode. >_>
Dalian is all "BLABLABLA CLOTHES STUPID WOMAN BLABLABLA CANDY!"
And then Huey comes all calm and start talking about another stuff.

I respect who's enjoying this show, but 'till now i'm not. ;w;
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

108 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

45 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 1:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.