Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 31, 2011 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
Rexky said:
Soooo

The cast of Gosick is back for a new show!

We're introduced to Avril this episode, a blonde who is disliked by the tsundere!

Great episode none the less. I like the creepiness!

Haha! You pretty much nailed it.

Btw those kids really where smart. As a man once told me when i was little, smart people don't really do much in this world, idiots are always more loud and successful because they act without thinking too much.

rodac said:
With enlightenment comes the power to change the universe.
With enlightenment comes the end of the desire to do so.

Yeah, because you see how pointless everything is.
Jul 31, 2011 7:26 PM

Jun 2010
First half, irritatingly pointless, second half, kinda boring, the show is kind of a bore actually.
2/5 for this episode.
"The R1 Anime business is a cruel and shallow financial trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Jul 31, 2011 10:04 PM

Feb 2010
stupid episode. honestly... it was a two-parter that felt incomplete and empty.
Aug 1, 2011 11:49 AM

Aug 2010
This show starts disappointing me >_<
Dalian is super cute, BUT I DON'T SEE MY BELOVED GAINAX HERE!!!11
Aug 1, 2011 2:17 PM

May 2011
Dalian is one of the only reason that I am still enjoying this show, without her its just meh. She is just so cute and her personality + sweet tooth makes me laugh.

I can see why people say its starting to get boring. Every episode is about them talking about some random book and no connection between any of them...
Aug 1, 2011 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Waaaaaah~
This anime is complete with an absolutely fabulous Mamiko Noto with tons of sweets.

This. And your sig broke.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Aug 2, 2011 10:06 AM

Jul 2010
Sooo... this felt kinda like a filler... I mean are they really gonna let those kids do what they want while they can like hell, destroy the world when they have a bad day? >.< Kinda boring, would've liked it if they did something with that story...

African plant was okay, not really great but the flower petals as a book was a nice idea. I hope next episode will have more plot though
Aug 2, 2011 2:41 PM

Apr 2011
Now we'll analyze Dalian's reaction before and after the word "SWEETS"

Before: -.-"

After: o(*w*)o

I wanted to hug her! >w<
DelgadosAug 2, 2011 2:53 PM
My mission: Save the world! My weapons: a controller, a bunch of friends and lots of Anime!
Aug 2, 2011 4:04 PM

Jul 2010
My guess is that those 'monsters' will return at some point.

On another note, I am sick of the ignorant anime "fans" that keep comparing Dantalian to Gosick. They are all wrong.
Aug 2, 2011 6:00 PM

Mar 2011
Aetherius said:
On another note, I am sick of the ignorant anime "fans" that keep comparing Dantalian to Gosick. They are all wrong.

This.
I just don't see how Dantalian is similar to Gosick.Only the setting I can see. Huey and Dalian don't go around solving cases, they're collecting Phantom Books
I think Kamisama no Memochou is the one that's closer to Gosick. The only difference there is the setting.
Aug 3, 2011 7:11 AM

May 2010
What subs...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 4, 2011 1:31 PM

Jan 2011
Oosran said:
Kids. Almost as creepy as dolls.
Opening a school just to compete with another school.
That's just dumb. Might even call it childish. Which, in retrospect, is a really bad pun.
And I want a plant like that.

I am a huge fan of puns. XDDD
I love random messages! :D
Aug 5, 2011 6:13 AM
May 2009
Felt incomplete...

Am I missing something here?
Aug 5, 2011 6:24 AM

May 2010
What the hell does artiodactyl mean?
Aug 5, 2011 1:12 PM

Sep 2010
3 episodes in one? That's a bit weird. Next episode is apparantly 'episode 5' even though it's episode 4.

Confucius said:
I first thought it was some kind of dinosaur. :p
But apparently it's a word for certain kinds of mammals.
Aug 6, 2011 4:24 AM

May 2010
Ovindel said:
3 episodes in one? That's a bit weird. Next episode is apparantly 'episode 5' even though it's episode 4.

Confucius said:

No wonder it took the sub groups this long
Aug 6, 2011 6:27 AM

Apr 2009
wakka9ca said:
rodac said:
With enlightenment comes the power to change the universe.
With enlightenment comes the end of the desire to do so.

This.

Yes, that. I like the quote. Smart ass kids who don't want to do anything about the world, in spite of that I wonder if they'll be back in the future?

Confucius said:
Ovindel said:
Confucius said:

No wonder it took the sub groups this long

I don't why but I LOLed when I read your reply to the answer to your earlier query. XD

Anyway I just came here about the scones, clotted cream and jam, swiss chocolates and butter biscuits.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 11, 2011 7:59 AM

Jul 2007
no wonder why i felt like a bit bored with the setting.. i like the art, story and all that actually, but i don't know why this series didn't hooked me the way i expected it should be, i love anything that has to do with victorian and vintage, but why? nande? why do i even felt like dropping this show last episode? but now i understand. it's because i had watched another anime like this.. someone mentioned Gosick?

thanks goodness, this episode is quite interessting compared to the last two.. and Huey is loveable :D
Aug 16, 2011 5:30 AM

Aug 2008
I feel disappointed with this episode. It's too short and not well thought out.
Didn't even know the story with the smart kids ended until random burglars barged into the mansion & creepy african plants appeared.
Aug 23, 2011 8:21 AM

Aug 2008
Wasn't expecting a pair of half episodes. The Book of Wisdom part was actually far more benign than I had expected. That is unless those kids are going to have some impact on the story down the line. The Queen of the Night part was rather satisfying though. I don't care at all for people who steal. And even less for some asshole who would point a gun at a helpless tsundere. I think being slowly digested by a giant plant is a merciful end.

Aug 27, 2011 12:16 PM
Feb 2011
Well, Dantalian is based on a light novel that's a collection of short stories after all, so it isn't all that surprising there were two stories in one episode.
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed those kids didn't do anything in the end. It fell a bit flat, but it's actually nice some situations don't require big adventures or combat to be resolved.
One thing I really love about Dantalian is that Huey is a great protagonist. He's brave, straightforward and intelligent, unlike most wimp main characters they're feeding us these days.
Aug 28, 2011 1:53 AM

Jun 2011
Umm... someone correct me here - all phantom books come from the Bibliotheque, right? Is it ok to just go burning them up if no one wants them!? Didn't Dalian say the original was still in the Bibliotheque? If so, what is this copy?

What did Huey do with the first 2 books? Didn't he send them back...? I'm still confused about the whole unlocking Dalian thing...to get books...to read them... to destroy other books thing -_-;;
Aug 30, 2011 8:11 PM

Jan 2011
I don't understand why don't they just slice up the plant to save the burglars. They are still human lives right? Despite the fact they committed crime.
Oct 16, 2011 8:51 AM

Jun 2011
guanhian said:
I don't understand why don't they just slice up the plant to save the burglars. They are still human lives right? Despite the fact they committed crime.

Well, I think that the inside of the cactus is acidic like most carnivorous plants, so it will be too late to save them even if they slice up the plant.

This episode is a disappointment. The kids didn't do anything although they have all the knowledge in the world. They just be good kids and let Huey off with the Book of Wisdom.

The 2nd part is about a book called the Queen of Night, which is actually cactus from Africa. It seems that this cactus can revealed one's memory but I wonder whose memory does Dalian wants to see?

No fighting in this episode so this episode is an utter disappointment but Dalian craziness for sweet just saved this show from being dropped from my watch list. Dalian moe level just so cute~
Oct 17, 2011 10:41 AM

Jul 2010
the more i hear dalian's voice, the more i love it, lol
Hoppy said:
Dalian may be really shy but when the sweets come she'll be all eyes and ears.

The Queen of the Night gave those thieves what they deserved, wasn't expecting that plant to be a maneater, but it's beautiful.

Aug 1, 2012 3:21 AM

Aug 2010
To be honest it felt kinda weird that they didn't really solve the problem with the kids, but at least there wasn't a book conveniently written for such a situation. The moral was also a negative one, kinda refreshing so overall I liked it.

The second part...not so much. The whole idea of that plant, the convenient time of arrival of the robbers...The concept was interesting, but I think the execution failed miserably.

Loving Dalian so far 4/5.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Huey is kinda lucky. Present at many crime scenes, people dying left and right around him, and he isn't even interviewed by the police or anything. No evidence pointing toward him.
Mogami-kunAug 1, 2012 3:24 AM
Jan 28, 2013 1:23 PM

Jun 2012
SilveRR said:
Felt incomplete...

Am I missing something here?

The split episode thing was an odd thing to do, made both stories seem weaker. Still Dalian was a mountain of cuteness.
Jan 28, 2013 10:06 PM
Mar 2009
What the crap was the point of the Book of Wisdom and the kids?

-"They have the knowledge to rule the world."
-"Nope, we're too damn lazy."

Dafuq.

The Queen of the Night is an interesting plant. But...how does one read the book if it's a lure and eats you when you're near it...?

Huey is a gentleman, as usual. Good to see main guys that don't shit their pants.
May 18, 2013 6:19 AM

Jul 2011
LOLOL. Fast conclusion with the kids.

ChronosXIII said:
What the crap was the point of the Book of Wisdom and the kids?

-"They have the knowledge to rule the world."
-"Nope, we're too damn lazy."

Dafuq.

Why is Dalian so annoying... I even like the voice actor, but her moe voice + character personality annoy the life out of me...
Manners? What manners... she's abusive, on top of that.
Jul 19, 2014 11:02 PM

Apr 2010
This is almost sad. The progress lacks any kind of action. Plus, two episodes in one?

Dalian reminds me of Alice from Pandora Hearts. . . I wonder if I want to finish this.
May 31, 2015 5:40 AM

Jun 2010
I didn't quite understand the idea of this episode. And dalian is as annoying as always.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2015 2:26 AM

Nov 2015
I am pretty late to the party, but I liked both of these, though I see that's not the popular opinion.
I'm enjoying learning more about the "library" and its amusing that there are unconventional "books".
May 7, 2017 9:24 PM

Aug 2015
What's the deal with Phantom Books? Why are they so common any average schoolmarm can get her hands on one and turn her kids into super-geniuses? Aren't they supposed to not be in circulation, much less common knowledge by every Tom, Dick and Harry?

I feel the world-building info is just not there.
Apr 20, 2021 2:02 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
A carnivorous plant lmao, well deserved for the burglars
Nov 28, 2022 8:15 PM

Feb 2017
Y'all, save yourself some time and don't keep watching this. (Not sure if I'll drop or keep tormenting myself)

Are you looking for the magical Victorian feel? Love literature? Or are you here for the detective element?
Ascendance of a Bookworm, Howl's Moving Castle, The Case Study of Vanitas, and Moriarty the Patriot are all superior anime and have elements this show offers.

I really liked the plant. Best thing to have come out of the show.
"You should return home and train hard to become a bride." Still, in all her wisdom. After reading all those books, huh? Dalian's just a lovely person, isn't she? :/
I really don't like that she's a loli yet this is leading towards a romance with Huey. Ew.
Floral_soapNov 28, 2022 8:25 PM
Jan 2, 2023 9:25 PM

Aug 2018
Dalian sure is lucky she's cute otherwise someone might just slap the taste out of her mouth. She's so rude!

Also nobody was surprised that plant turned out to be a man-eater.
Yesterday, 8:34 AM

Dec 2022
A two-in-one episode, more or less. Not something you see every day.

Subversion of expectations here with the "Book of Wisdom", but it makes sense. A tome that instils wisdom and knowledge well beyond the age of the kids who chanced upon it isn't corruptive in the same way a "Book of Evil" would be. If they were decent people beforehand, then acquiring wisdom wouldn't alter their innate psychology on such a level that it results in malicious intent. If your wisdom isn't used with vindictive purposes, then why should it be punished?

The elaborate deception of the Queen of the Night plant is beautiful too. Carnivorous plants like sundews and pitchers lure their prey with nectar and dewdrop mimicry, much like this plant lures prey with book mimic petals that are practically indistinguishable from the real thing.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Sep 30, 2011

108 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

45 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.