Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Steins;Gate Episode 17 Discussion

Jul 26, 2011 7:23 PM

poor shido...
those who don't know about "shido", never mind...

Jul 26, 2011 8:21 PM

For those who are curious, this episode marks the branching point for Feyris' ending. Here is the video. This video shows what happens if Okabe tries to save both Feyris' father and Mayuri, and he pays a big price for it.

Modified by Riga92, Jul 26, 2011 8:26 PM

Jul 26, 2011 8:29 PM

- Yay! Akiba is saved!
- Feyris has Reading Steiner?!
- Poor Feyris, that choice was pretty hard.

Oh and what would happen if Okarin dropped the watch on the floor and break it?

Jul 26, 2011 8:36 PM

DenjaX said:
Kid28 said:
And1ce said:
SwordWielder said:
I'm pretty sure Moeka's d-mail is the key
meby..
this^
^I was thinking the same too. It's because Okarin didn't read what's inside the mail and Moeka only told him the content without showing him. And we already know the true colors of Moeka. She probably lied to him about changing her phone and wrote the location of the IBN, thus, not in the shrine anymore

i hope my theory is wrong.. but i believe that even if they were able to get IBN 5100, something might still screw them up.. i think that the first and accidental d-mail sent in ep1, just before the 1st OP theme started and the one that caused the satellite (Suzuha's time machine) to crash, is the true cause of everything.. sadly, someone very important to a lot of us will be left to die if that is undone: the "butterfly" that we see in the ED theme.. i hope that what i just thought won't happen, or if it would, i hope that it's still not finished with that and there's a way to save everybody, especially her..

oh yeah.. those who played the vn, no spoilers or spoiler tagged posts on this topic please..
Modified by argilium, Jul 26, 2011 8:41 PM

Jul 26, 2011 8:39 PM

So I wonder if Feyris has the reading steiner too, or if everyone is gradually going to remember worldlines due to all the leaping.. Good episode though, Feyris was great.

Jul 26, 2011 8:58 PM

ep18. Self-similar Androgynous
‪アニメ「シュタインズ・ゲート」#18「自己相似のアンドロギュノス」予告‬‏ - YouTube
Okarin x Ruka = XD

uh screw normalfag Okarin... explode!
Modified by kusushi, Jul 26, 2011 9:24 PM

Jul 26, 2011 9:11 PM

OMFG! why must this be so awesome!?!?!

So they are going back correcting the D-mails already sent to return to the timeline where the IBM was in the shrine?!? now thats an interesting way around it...does this mean the show is going to get back it's trap??? XD

Modified by xMusicMohawk, Jul 26, 2011 9:27 PM

Jul 26, 2011 9:33 PM

argilium said:
i hope my theory is wrong.. but i believe that even if they were able to get IBN 5100, something might still screw them up.. i think that the first and accidental d-mail sent in ep1, just before the 1st OP theme started and the one that caused the satellite (Suzuha's time machine) to crash, is the true cause of everything.. sadly, someone very important to a lot of us will be left to die if that is undone: the "butterfly" that we see in the ED theme.. i hope that what i just thought won't happen, or if it would, i hope that it's still not finished with that and there's a way to save everybody, especially her..

Just to clarify, the dmail didn't cause the time machine to crash persay. It just so happens that due to slightly varied events between the original timeline and the one after the dmail was sent, that an error was made in the calculations pertaining to the destination and it just so happened that it crashed in new timeline. The true cause of everything as far as the current timeline are concerned IS that original dmail which was caused by Kurisu's death which in-turn is the reason Mayuri keeps dying.. I believe in the end Kurisu's death is inevitable if the recent change in the course of the worldline deviation is allowed to continue reversing.

Jul 26, 2011 9:42 PM

To anyone who thinks that the original worldline is coming back, can forget it. At least, it may be similar, but it won't be the same.

Despite Okarin's plans to undo D-Mails, the Divergence number has still increased. You can see it briefly during the time shift.

End of Episode 16:

Undoing Feryis' D-Mail:

So take from that what you will.

Edit 1: (Sorry about the crappy screen from the second picture, the Print Screen Button didn't want to give me a better shot)

Edit 2: This thread has much better pictures:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=307715
Modified by eighttailedfox, Jul 26, 2011 9:51 PM
Houseki No Kuni, aka The Land of the Lustrous. Best of 2017.

Jul 26, 2011 9:50 PM
OMG just got spoiled from looking up 1 character in wikipedia...
wanna kill myself now
just when i thought that character had nothign more to reveal, a shocking revelation...
ppl dont go to wikipedia like me,,,feel so retarded now XD

Jul 26, 2011 10:51 PM

so its posible to remember things from other timelines... or just feryis..

hmm

Jul 26, 2011 11:08 PM

And here I thought Steins;Gate couldn't get any better...

Oh my gawd, these feelings. Rumiho <3.

Why is this show so good? I want to read the v-novel already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 26, 2011 11:12 PM

Kuromii said:
Would you chose your friend over your beloved father? I know I wouldn’t. But Feyris did, and quite frankly I can’t believe that.

If I were her, I wouldn’t have willingly let Okabe send that D-mail to make it so that her dad still died 10 years prior to the story. No matter how much she and everyone else loves Mayushii, trying to save her like this isn’t worth her father’s life. They don’t even know for sure whether or not it will save her. No one would have blamed Feyris for being ‘selfish’, as she put it.

And did anyone else think it was strange that Okabe didn’t really pick up on how Feyris also managed to retain her memories post-D-mail? :/

Yeah. Realistically, I don't think anyone could make such a decision to sacrifice their own father.

That being said, it makes for an interesting show. =)

Jul 26, 2011 11:22 PM

5/11 translated. Can't wait.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 27, 2011 12:36 AM

So Feyris still has memories from other worldlines...

Very difficult decision to make...save your father's or your friend's life. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to choose.

They skipped the scene showing how Feyris ended up being chased by those Viral Attackers. If anyone wants to know, it is in the spoiler tag below.

Looking forward to next episode. I think it's Ruka's turn now :)
Modified by Rezurrekt, Jul 27, 2011 12:40 AM

Jul 27, 2011 12:58 AM
xAnyex said:

We just witnessed something quite phenomenal, too, (so much so that I'm kind of surprised no one's discussed it yet)--

That's an interesting theory. I wonder, if what you said is the reason for her ability retention, couldn't you also say that ...

Jul 27, 2011 1:05 AM

I thought it was Okabe's personal ability to retain memories from changes, so I'm a bit lost at this, but what can you do...

A very touching episode, nearly got blurry vision. This show is simply awesome. 5/5.

Jul 27, 2011 1:10 AM

So Ruka goes back to trap next ep?

Jul 27, 2011 1:18 AM

Probably.

Jul 27, 2011 2:02 AM

zorapup said:
xAnyex said:

We just witnessed something quite phenomenal, too, (so much so that I'm kind of surprised no one's discussed it yet)--

That's an interesting theory. I wonder, if what you said is the reason for her ability retention, couldn't you also say that ...

Jul 27, 2011 2:06 AM

Feyris-tan :(
Such a great episode~

Jul 27, 2011 2:19 AM
ohoho! okabe took his lab coat off in this ep!

Jul 27, 2011 2:30 AM

Kid28 said:
And1ce said:
SwordWielder said:
I'm pretty sure Moeka's d-mail is the key

meby..

this^

I am not too sure now.

Going by all of this, it all seems t be a chain reactions and part of something. The question is what started it and the only thing I can imagine being that is the very first d-mail he sent. If he undoes that one, somehow, it all should go good...

Kuromii said:
Would you chose your friend over your beloved father? I know I wouldn’t. But Feyris did, and quite frankly I can’t believe that.

Well she had two lives in her head, literally, so its not surprising. In the previous timeline she had already pretty much accepted his death, so those memories most likely helped.

I love the symbolism of catgirl literally "having lived" multiple lives and remembering it. NOw the big question is WHY? Why does she remember? Why does Kyoma remember?

And yes, I kind of ship Feyris/Kyoma now too, alongside Kurisu/Kyoma...I am just sucker for angst sad pairings like that...

Jul 27, 2011 2:33 AM

It is just my little speculation and I hope that in the end it will be different but.

Jul 27, 2011 2:56 AM

zorapup said:
xAnyex said:

Given the possibility of the myth of religious value such as the God of Saturn concocted with the Ergosphere theorem, we can safely assumed that not even Gods were able to stop among themselves their emotions. Been proven a lot in GReek/Roman myths. So in knowing this, I disregards the emotional plane/time-space plane but instead propose a kinetic energy sharing through DNA. Something uncommon since blood transfusion is what it takes but it's still the only possible explanation considering that Okabe's Reading Steiner is in fact etched into his body so does the Ergosphere theorem says.

Given that we can assume that Okabe + feelings of most profound depth (love) = a mutual sharing of his gift. Spiritually would be the easiest in all this. There is no way Okabe can have teh Reading Steiner unless the Ergosphere theorem is applied.

Finally I leave out another discussion, visually. IMO Seeing a lot Makise, the following is what I would call "A face that shows of the most deepest sadness for Okabe,

this might go towards the Reading Steiner being shared emotionally since Makise looks to me like she saw all the deaths Okabe saw possibly.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!

Jul 27, 2011 2:56 AM

Aha, sacrifice No.2. Way to go, Okabe. Damn your own foolishness to mess with time in the 1st place. And it's so WEIRD that Kurisu brings up the term Attractor Field all of a sudden. I don't think they have mentioned it at all in the previous episodes... =

kusushi said:
poor shido...
those who don't know about "shido", never mind...

Indeed. No screen time for you, poor 4°C. So they dropped the whole Thunder Net tournament scenes.

They encounter 4°C and his gang shortly after, and the anime tells the rest.

Riga92 said:
For those who are curious, this episode marks the branching point for Feyris' ending. Here is the video. This video shows what happens if Okabe tries to save both Feyris' father and Mayuri, and he pays a big price for it.

To tell the truth, every ending in Steins;Gate is kinda bittersweet in its own way.

Anyone interested in the "past" of Suzuha and Yukitaka(Rumiho's father) can visit my drama cd thread Steins;Gate Drama CD Alpha - Babel of the grieved maze. As there are some critical facts yet to be revealed at this point, it's strongly recommended that one read the thread after the series has ended unless you dont' mind to be spoiled.
Modified by Kansokusha, Jul 27, 2011 4:28 AM

Jul 27, 2011 3:04 AM
Persocom said:
So I wonder if Feyris has the reading steiner too, or if everyone is gradually going to remember worldlines due to all the leaping.. Good episode though, Feyris was great.

Actually, I think that it has do something with Okabe's Reading Steiner, because when she/he looked deep into his/her eyes, she suddenly remembered and there was a nice animation thingy.

Jul 27, 2011 3:46 AM

Mormegil said:
Kuromii said:

If I were her, I wouldn’t have willingly let Okabe send that D-mail to make it so that her dad still died 10 years prior to the story. No matter how much she and everyone else loves Mayushii, trying to save her like this isn’t worth her father’s life. They don’t even know for sure whether or not it will save her. No one would have blamed Feyris for being ‘selfish’, as she put it.

And did anyone else think it was strange that Okabe didn’t really pick up on how Feyris also managed to retain her memories post-D-mail? :/

Yeah. Realistically, I don't think anyone could make such a decision to sacrifice their own father.

That being said, it makes for an interesting show. =)

I think Feyris-tan did it because she knows that in "reality" her father's dead. She just changed the fact. That's why for Kyouma and Mayushii, she changed it back to the way it should.

Hazelnutt11 said:
Persocom said:

Actually, I think that it has do something with Okabe's Reading Steiner, because when she/he looked deep into his/her eyes, she suddenly remembered and there was a nice animation thingy.

I think Kyouma's ability influence her? Not sure....

Jul 27, 2011 4:16 AM

Vische_HG said:
Mormegil said:
Kuromii said:

She does not just KNOW. SHE LIVED THROUGH THAT. She for some reason remembers her entire life pre-change. For her its just as real as it was for Okabe, thus the decision to make is a lot more realistic to understand.

Jul 27, 2011 4:20 AM

people arent noticing that rumiho sutiation isnt the same as okabe reading steiner.

he remembered living those 10 years 2 times , okabe cant remember things he did on the past after changing the timeline.

if he send a d-mail to himself saying him for example "insult kurisu" , that would happen , but okabe wont remember.

okabe remember things in a linear way , but feryis remembered living two lives , that's why feryis was so confused.

Jul 27, 2011 4:59 AM
What exactly is the Alpha, Beta and Omega Attractor Field about? Can anyone explain it to me?

Jul 27, 2011 5:11 AM

xMilky said:
What exactly is the Alpha, Beta and Omega Attractor Field about? Can anyone explain it to me?

Different sets of timelines that lead to similar outcome.

For example Beta, no matter how everything else goes, everything mostly leads to Mayuri's death and CERN's dystopian future.

Jul 27, 2011 5:24 AM

Yay, a Feyris episode :D Not to mention moe returning to Akiba ;)

And some excellent plot developments as well.

Jul 27, 2011 5:46 AM

Nice episode, atleast now we know what Feyris sent. I feel kinda bad for her, but atleast Moe is back ^^

Not really one of the best, but it was still a great episode.

They're gonna have to make Ruka watch Tengen toppa gurren lagann so he/she can wish to become a man again lol

5/5

Jul 27, 2011 5:47 AM
So, even this thing turned into fucking harem...

Jul 27, 2011 5:53 AM

Fai said:
xMilky said:

Different sets of timelines that lead to similar outcome.

For example Beta, no matter how everything else goes, everything mostly leads to Mayuri's death and CERN's dystopian future.

Ahem, that's the Alpha Worldline.

Psajdak said:
So, even this thing turned into fucking harem...

Not even close. Except the fandisc. =]

Jul 27, 2011 6:21 AM
i love how this series really goes above and beyond to flesh out pretty much every character. Looking forward to next week.

Jul 27, 2011 6:31 AM

shonen991 said:
To anyone who thinks that the original worldline is coming back, can forget it. At least, it may be similar, but it won't be the same.

Despite Okarin's plans to undo D-Mails, the Divergence number has still increased. You can see it briefly during the time shift.

In terms of the original worldline it actually is going that way again. :p
That said there's still a long way to go in either direction but it's moving back to where it was..

Jul 27, 2011 6:53 AM

Okay so Akiba went back to had the moe culture so how the hell did that IBN 5100 disappeared ?

Jul 27, 2011 6:54 AM

Kuromii said:

I don't think she's simply choosing to save either her father or her friend. In this case, choosing to save her father is essentially the *cause* of her friend's death. This is exacerbated by the fact that she KNOWS what the original world line was and that she was the one who changed it. Assuming Feyris thought of the situation in this way, I imagine she wouldn't be able to cope with the guilt. Thus she chose to do what she did.

Yeah, just undoing Feyris's wish is probably not enough to save Mayuri, but they had to undo Feyris's wish first since the IBN disappeared so long ago in that world line.

Jul 27, 2011 7:14 AM

YEX said:
Okay so Akiba went back to had the moe culture so how the hell did that IBN 5100 disappeared ?

The location of the IBN 5100 hasn't been known since Moeka sent her dmail.
This was well before the dmail that drastically changed Akiba.

Jul 27, 2011 7:55 AM

Why can't okarin just send a dmail to himself about not using dmail?

Jul 27, 2011 8:05 AM

I was a bit confused as to why Suzuha seems to have thought her mission was successful if the IBN is no longer there. She succeeded in leaving it at the shrine, but one of the remaining D-mails (likely Moeka told herself where to find it) caused it to be stolen from the shrine a year previous (2009). Suzuha has already died by 2009 and hence is no longer a player I suppose. It all works out, but it's interesting to read into how convoluted the timelines are from the small hints.

Okay, so now Okabe has to undo the D-mails one at a time.... next episode will probably be pretty silly with Okabe x Rukako... I don't even....

The meat of the the plot will be in conquering Moeka's D-mail and discovering the remaining SERN players tampering with the world line.

shinki7 said:
Why can't okarin just send a dmail to himself about not using dmail?
That would be too easy! ...certainly not the path of a true mad scientist!

I am a banana.

Jul 27, 2011 8:08 AM

saka said:
I was a bit confused as to why Suzuha seems to have thought her mission was successful if the IBN is no longer there. She succeeded in leaving it at the shrine, but one of the remaining D-mails (likely Moeka told herself where to find it) caused it to be stolen from the shrine a year previous (2009). Suzuha has already died by 2009 and hence is no longer a player.

Thats because her mission is succesful. She is a part of the chain as I see it.

Okabe needs to undo the emails in a reverse order, tracing back to when the IBN is in the place.

Pre-suzuha travel: IBN never ever got to feyris father.
Post suzuha travel, pre-akiha undoing: IBN is held by feyris' father, but he has given it away due to the whole kidnapping.
post-akiha undoing, prenext d-mail undoing: ibn is held by feyris father, he has given it away to the shrine and he has died, however someone still took the IBN from the shrine.

The goal is to clear all the " obstacles" of IBN getting to a point Okabe can retrieve it from.

Jul 27, 2011 8:22 AM

CAn't wait for Moeka D-mail undoing.. XD.

A lot of questions will be answered at that part.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/

Jul 27, 2011 8:39 AM

Well im pretty sure Moeka's d-mail is something along the lines of telling the past where the IBN5000 since she never showed her d-mail to anyone or did i just remembered it wrongly

Jul 27, 2011 8:58 AM

Fai said:
saka said:
I was a bit confused as to why Suzuha seems to have thought her mission was successful if the IBN is no longer there. She succeeded in leaving it at the shrine, but one of the remaining D-mails (likely Moeka told herself where to find it) caused it to be stolen from the shrine a year previous (2009). Suzuha has already died by 2009 and hence is no longer a player.

Thats because her mission is succesful. She is a part of the chain as I see it.

Okabe needs to undo the emails in a reverse order, tracing back to when the IBN is in the place.

Pre-suzuha travel: IBN never ever got to feyris father.
Post suzuha travel, pre-akiha undoing: IBN is held by feyris' father, but he has given it away due to the whole kidnapping.
post-akiha undoing, prenext d-mail undoing: ibn is held by feyris father, he has given it away to the shrine and he has died, however someone still took the IBN from the shrine.

The goal is to clear all the " obstacles" of IBN getting to a point Okabe can retrieve it from.
Yeah, I'm not arguing with any of that. It's just that I was confused about that when they first mentioned the IBN was not at the shrine. It hinges on her dying before it is stolen. Obviously I rationalized it at the end when he mentioned that it was stolen a year prior~ ... without that tidbit it wouldn't make much sense.

I am a banana.

Jul 27, 2011 9:42 AM

So actually Feiris-tan has also Reading Steiner and can remember what happened in other time lines
That's really sugoii desu ne owo
Really like Feiris, she's such a strong girl <3 Just love her

Jul 27, 2011 10:00 AM

toko-chan said:
So actually Feiris-tan has also Reading Steiner and can remember what happened in other time lines
That's really sugoii desu ne owo
Really like Feiris, she's such a strong girl <3 Just love her

Actually as been stated before, its somehow different.

She does not JUST remember.

Look at Okabe - HE REMEMBERS THE LIFE HE LIVED, but he has no idea of the life he lived in timelines he shifted to through series.

FERRIS REMEMBERS BOTH THE TIMELINE BEFORE THE SHIFT AND AFTER AS IF SHE LIVED BOTH.

Thats quite a major difference from Okabe.

Jul 27, 2011 10:24 AM

I don't think that Feyris has Reading Steiner. It's because she remembers living in two different world lines and Okabe just jumps world lines but stays in the same conscience. I think it has something to do with Okabe's Reading Steiner influence while he was talking to Feyris. I think that if someone that has the Reading Steiner talks to someone about their life in a different world line, they can attain their memories from THAT world line and the current world-line which they are living in, thus resulting Feyris to live 10 years in the current world line and 10 years in the other world line. It makes sense....doesn't it?...

I agree that Moeka has something to do with the disappearance of the IBN-5100. She was the only one who didn't actually show anyone what she wrote, it was too suspicious. Also after Moeka sent her D-Mail, Okabe couldn't find out what had changed except that the IBN-5100 was gone. If nothing else changed other than the world line and the IBN-5100 missing....then she had to have sent a D-mail about the IBN....Just a thought though.

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »