Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Steins;Gate Episode 17 Discussion

Jul 29, 2011 3:05 PM

Wow so Rumiho is remembering things from other timelines as well now?! Looks like Rintarou's gift is spreading or something. At the end she says that she remembers everything from both her father being alive and the timeline where he's not.

It's getting so complicated now. If Rintarou undoes the D-mail, then Rumiho will lose her father all over again. After seeing how much they love eachother, I wouldn't want to be standing in Rintarou's shoes. I feel so sorry for her too though. What a choice to make. Rumiho falling for him like that was really cute though. I thought she would go even further than saying he's her prince and hugging him for a second. ^^

I personally doubt that Rumiho's D-mail is the key to saving Mayurii though. My gut tells me it has something to do with Moeka's D-mail (SERN and FB). It would be so bitter for Rumiho if her D-mail didn't even need to be undone in the end. Well, at least Akiba is back to normal I guess...

Can't wait to learn more!

Jul 29, 2011 3:12 PM

Monad said:
Leon-Gun said:
Kansokusha said:
I have sources...
Sources huh.

Lol!!

Anyway am kind of disappointed of the way they turn things back. When i was thinking if it was possible for him to get to the time-line he carried that IBM 5100 with Christina or at least a very similar one i always found no way in canceling Feyris d-mail because she simply wouldn't remember anything about it.
But to get around this the authors went and suddenly made Feyris able to get the memories of a different reality. That's a little cheap really. If she could do that then other should remember shit too.

Btw i have something that troubles me about this D-mail business. They said the machine back in the lap and then all she has to is simply sent a mail during the time the machine is on? Aren't other people sending messages through their phones at that time too? No matter what second you choose there will be someone somewhere sending a message. Want that messages be send to the past and create a mess?

The message needs to go through the phone that's connected to the phone microwave.

Jul 29, 2011 7:52 PM

Leon-Gun said:
MorningGlory said:

I wonder how did Kurisu survivesaved when Okabe sent the first D-Mail ....I still don't understand her cause of death.
Kurisu was killed, and the only two suspects atm are Suzuha and Moeka. My guess is that Kurisu was saved because Okabe's D-Mail somehow caused Suzuha's time machine to crash rather than safely land on top of the building. Since the lecture was called off and Kurisu was nowhere near the building her possibilities of dying dissapeared.

It's heavily suggested that Okabe originally came from another worldline.

Onyxthegreat said:
I personally doubt that Rumiho's D-mail is the key to saving Mayurii though. My gut tells me it has something to do with Moeka's D-mail (SERN and FB). It would be so bitter for Rumiho if her D-mail didn't even need to be undone in the end. Well, at least Akiba is back to normal I guess...

The Attractor Field wants Mayuri dead. The only thing most likely to happen by reversing Moeka's D-mail is to have the IBN back. As suggested by Suzuha, Okabe needs to delete the 1st D-mail from SERN's database and shifts worldline in order to save Mayuri, hopefully.

Jul 31, 2011 2:40 PM
Just re-watched the first episode (BD) and with the knowledge of 16 more episodes ... I don't like where this is heading, but maybe it's inevitable.

On the other hand: It's time-travel brainfuck, everything is possible ;)

Jul 31, 2011 8:13 PM

Wasn't it explained in Boukan no Rebellion that you can't change things that have already happened? If that's true, wouldn't Feyris's dad die some other way and not live for 10 years? Just putting it out there. Not trying to bash this series at all, it's my favorite of 2011 so far, but isn't that a plot hole? If someone can explain this to me, by all means. Also, how did Feyris know about world lines?
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Jul 31, 2011 9:34 PM

It would probably be best to not discuss Boukan no Rebellion here as it takes place in the future..

Jul 31, 2011 10:18 PM
hikaricore said:
It would probably be best to not discuss Boukan no Rebellion here as it takes place in the future..
Indeed. This thread only allows anime discussion. Also I might add Boukan no Rebellion is also an adaptation written by a different writer. Not saying the details aren't true, but just like with many cross-media material, some details can contradict others. This happens a lot, especially when the original concept creator isn't overseeing all the projects closely.

Jul 31, 2011 10:48 PM

FEYRIIIIIISSSSSS DDDDD:

Aug 1, 2011 8:50 AM

Now I wonder.... We've seen Kurise die in the very first episode, right? Does that mean Okabe saved her by letting Daru know she was dead? If so, she would be killed as well as Rumiha's father at the end.

Aug 1, 2011 1:38 PM
Jean_Claymore said:
Now I wonder.... We've seen Kurise die in the very first episode, right? Does that mean Okabe saved her by letting Daru know she was dead? If so, she would be killed as well as Rumiha's father at the end.
She was the one who apparently gave Cern their time-travel supremacy so the most obvious solution to move to a beta world line free of a dystopian future is to get rid of her existence somehow. After all, even during the other world lines it was Kurisu who developed Time Leaping. So yeah, I don't see a good end for dear Christina right now.

What I'm most curious about is who was the John Titor from 2000. When that event changed the new Titor(Suzuha) said she had no reason to go there(obviously because he was searching for Daru). So if the 2000's Titor was Suzu why did she stop in that year and if it wasn't who was it then? I think it'll be left unanswered though.
Modified by Leon-Gun, Aug 1, 2011 1:44 PM

Aug 1, 2011 2:13 PM

There is no doubt is my mind that part-time warrior was Titor in both 2010 and 2000.
Because of the massive worldline shift in episode one, many things which affected her mission changed.
Remember the events that lead to the death of Ferris' father 10 years ago? Hint they involved an IBN computer.
Imagine the number of variations which could have spawned from those events leading her to that very year.

Aug 1, 2011 11:23 PM

MorningGlory said:
Just fixed the dumb pocket watch and maybe Mayushi won't die =,=
I wonder why she always die when the time stop. well I don't think the pocket watch will fit in the plot anyway . but it will be great if the broken pocket watch is the cause of her death since the thing is kinda important to her.

It's not just the watch, if you pay attention the sand in the hourglass stops moving as well. Since SERN is involved apparently they have some ability to slow time on a local level or something. In any case the watch isn't an issue, there's more going on there.

MorningGlory said:
Now the mission is to retrieve that old lousy pc. lol .. sigh....i wonder what sort of epic sacrifice will be used just to save Mayuri T.T

Considering it's the key to accessing SERN's databases and removing the D-Mails from those (to avoid SERN's attention in the first place), plus Suzuha went back in time to find an IBN-5100 specifically to stop SERN from creating a dystopian future... it's not an old lousy PC, it's a very, very valuable and important item.

Leon-Gun said:
What I'm most curious about is who was the John Titor from 2000. When that event changed the new Titor(Suzuha) said she had no reason to go there(obviously because he was searching for Daru). So if the 2000's Titor was Suzu why did she stop in that year and if it wasn't who was it then? I think it'll be left unanswered though.

Okabe sent the D-Mail in episode 16 to prevent the time machine from being damaged, specifically so that Suzuha would retain her memories and be able to complete her mission to find the IBN-5100. And since Suzuha is already aware of Titor (she was pretending to be him in 2010) there's no doubt that it was her.

One thing that bugs me about this episode is that there seems to be a rather glaring plot-hole in how Feyris/Rumiho's fake kidnapping message caused her Dad to lose the IBN-5100. Chibi-Rumiho from 10 years ago wouldn't have known anything about it, and what kind of idiot would her dad have to have been to not check to make sure the threat was real? He didn't call home (or a neighbor, or have a friend go see if she was home) to see if she was there or not? (She was.) It's a bit of a stretch to think SERN got involved enough to actually kidnap Rumiho in time to prevent her Dad from finding out it was a prank. I can see where that could have prevented his getting involved in the accident that killed him (and thus causing the world line shift), but not how it could have escalated to him actually having to come up with the ransom money and losing the IBN-5100.

What's even stranger is it seems most likely that SERN would have been the one to offer that absurd amount of money to him for the IBN-5100, so it's hard to see them playing both sides of the fake kidnapping. (Why spend the money when they could have just insisted on the ransom being the computer?) Not to mention, it seems more likely SERN would have just killed him and Rumiho both off to get rid of evidence than that they'd have let them live.

So the back-story here falls really flat. It was a touching episode and I was impressed at Rumiho's sacrifice, but the story just doesn't work.

Aug 2, 2011 8:41 AM

Wow, i really hoped mayushii wouldnt die at this episode but again she died. If things goes so, it will be like the first episode, when Okabe introducing lab members (only three); and we will here tutturuu agian:D i m really looking for it to come again.
Somebody has to die to let a person live...

Aug 3, 2011 11:22 AM
manabilt said:
MorningGlory said:

It's not just the watch, if you pay attention the sand in the hourglass stops moving as well. Since SERN is involved apparently they have some ability to slow time on a local level or something. In any case the watch isn't an issue, there's more going on there.
now we have a another big question on why only the clock stop and other object still moving. The bullet should stop as well when the pistol shoot.

Aug 3, 2011 1:32 PM

MorningGlory said:
manabilt said:
MorningGlory said:

now we have a another big question on why only the clock stop and other object still moving. The bullet should stop as well when the pistol shoot.

Here's a quick spoiler, there's no such thing as Time Controlling in Steins gate.

The Pocketwatch is just a simple sign that destiny cannot be changed, much like the signs in Last Destination series.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/

Aug 3, 2011 2:24 PM

If stopping the watch and the hourglass is simply an artistic way of showing us fate then I just lost a little bit of respect for the series..

Aug 6, 2011 4:37 AM

Well, at least extending Mayuri's life by a day is an improvement. Someone else other than Okarin remembering memories from other minor world lines, that's a first. Rumiho had to make the hardest decision of her life, choosing Mayuri's life over her own father's.

Ruka's D-Mail is next on the list then, if there are no new negative side effects to deal with. What's bothering me, however, is that they didn't show if the divergence number changed, well, not that Okarin still has it in the first place anyway.

Aug 6, 2011 5:00 AM

coldlight said:
however, is that they didn't show if the divergence number changed, well, not that Okarin still has it in the first place anyway.

Nope they showed it, you must've missed looking at it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=307715
(thread is already at episode 18, so be wary of spoilers)

Aug 6, 2011 5:27 AM

kaimax said:
coldlight said:
however, is that they didn't show if the divergence number changed, well, not that Okarin still has it in the first place anyway.

Nope they showed it, you must've missed looking at it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=307715
(thread is already at episode 18, so be wary of spoilers)

Oh, so they did. Clearly, I missed it then. Well, that takes care of that nagging feeling.

Aug 6, 2011 9:51 AM

So... does Feyris also have a Reading Steiner now? Or is it just for that instance? If it's the former then that means that the Reading Steiner is probably just something that can be triggered somehow in anyone's brain.

Anyway, the episode almost made me cry. If the series had built up more attachment to Feyris's character beforehand, tears definitely would've flowed

One of my favorite things about Okabe is that he almost never yields to Kurisu's tsundere bullcrap. He's a real stoic. Not that I don't love Kurisu. She usually knows what she's talking about.
Modified by RedMage23, Aug 6, 2011 10:42 AM

Aug 6, 2011 12:58 PM

RedMage23 said:
So... does Feyris also have a Reading Steiner now?

It's been discussed many times in previous posts. No, Feyris doesn't have it.

the main difference
-She can remember both timelines. While Okabe cannot remember any other past timelines. She basically has 2 memories, Reading Steiner only retains the current consciousness not any pass memories.

Read previous posts in this thread for details

Aug 6, 2011 2:05 PM

kaimax said:

Read previous posts in this thread for details

lol, sorry. And thanks, that definitely makes sense. It's like in Angel Season 5 when Connor got his memories back.

Aug 6, 2011 3:59 PM

back to square one

i so love to this show

Aug 6, 2011 4:00 PM

This show just keeps me reminding about 'Endless 8'. It's so similar. XD Although this one is A LOT BETTER obviously.

Still loved the episode a lot. It's good to see that there's still some hope for Mayushi and Okabe.

Aug 6, 2011 4:52 PM
great ep cant wait for the next

Aug 8, 2011 5:34 PM

This episode moved my heart, they built up Rumiho(what a beautiful name, btw)'s character in such a good way! Her father was good man and it's really bad that he had to die. Still, Rumiho really wasn't selfish and she chose her friend's life over his. Just another episode of this anime, which makes me think it's flawless no matter from what angle you're looking at it...

Aug 11, 2011 3:37 AM

Onii said:
At least Feyris remembers.

I can see where all of this is going now though.

Also, what's up with this?
Notice how it says "2011" when this show takes place in 2010. This is obviously a mistake, right?
This was the scene where Okabe was supposed to send his mind back, but apparently it went to the future because it stops at 2011.

I noticed that too ^_^

But I ignored it.

anyways, if he kept turning back all the D-mail... wouldn't Kurisu die instead?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 11, 2011 3:45 AM
AirStyles said:
Onii said:
At least Feyris remembers.

I can see where all of this is going now though.

Also, what's up with this?
Notice how it says "2011" when this show takes place in 2010. This is obviously a mistake, right?
This was the scene where Okabe was supposed to send his mind back, but apparently it went to the future because it stops at 2011.

I noticed that too ^_^

But I ignored it.

anyways, if he kept turning back all the D-mail... wouldn't Kurisu die instead?
Nyahaha. Wouldn't that piss off the Christina fanboys. xD

Aug 22, 2011 2:31 PM

Ha! So after all that careless Dmailing earlier on in the series, they are now having to undo all that was done to get the IBM 5100 back!

How, I thought only Okabe could remember the different time lines but it seems Feyris has a similar ability. Although her's seem a little dream like and unclear! Hmmm......

Hopefully, they dont need to undo the first Dmail that resurrected Kurisu as they'd done that and still had the IBM in that timeline, so hopefully.........!

Aug 25, 2011 1:03 PM

That was noble of Feyris.
And aw Suzuha found the IBN 5100 afterall in this world line.

Aug 31, 2011 2:40 PM

Very touching episode i really thought Feyris was an airhead but that was an incredibly selfless act she did i really just thought the moe cafe's had something to do with her farthers death and nothing more.

Sep 10, 2011 11:31 PM

I can NEVER I mean NEVER accept what happened. Letting your dad die knowingly, I mean how ungreatful is that?
Saving a friend is fine, but alowing your father 2 die for it?

You do hav the right to sacrifice ur own life 2 save someone, but no one has the right 2 sacrifice somebody else's life 2 save someone.
Especially not ur parents, even if u were the one to actually bring them back from dead..
Feyris must be ashamed!
Modified by sadhana, Sep 10, 2011 11:39 PM

Winners and Victims stand alone!!

Sep 20, 2011 8:39 PM

sadhana said:
I can NEVER I mean NEVER accept what happened. Letting your dad die knowingly, I mean how ungreatful is that?

You do hav the right to sacrifice ur own life 2 save someone, but no one has the right 2 sacrifice somebody else's life 2 save someone.
Especially not ur parents, even if u were the one to actually bring them back from dead..
Feyris must be ashamed!

I swear...Feyris never had the right to bring her own father back from the dead and this also had the indirect effect of killing Mayuri. But, by your logic, that's all find and dandy because she's just a "friend". It's incredibly obvious how difficult this was for Feyris, yet you make it sound as though she didn't think it over and didn't hesitate. Which she did.

I think the message this series is trying to get across is that you shouldn't play god. Scenes such as when Okabe was on the roof earlier in the series and is watching everyone else enjoy themselves while he had been through the exact same circumstance right before...it sort of cheapens the experience you know? Good or bad.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Sep 25, 2011 11:16 AM

insan3soldiern said:
sadhana said:

Feyris must be ashamed!

I swear...Feyris never had the right to bring her own father back from the dead and this also had the indirect effect of killing Mayuri. But, by your logic, that's all find and dandy because she's just a "friend". It's incredibly obvious how difficult this was for Feyris, yet you make it sound as though she didn't think it over and didn't hesitate. Which she did.

I think the message this series is trying to get across is that you shouldn't play god. Scenes such as when Okabe was on the roof earlier in the series and is watching everyone else enjoy themselves while he had been through the exact same circumstance right before...it sort of cheapens the experience you know? Good or bad.

If thats the case then Okabe didn't hav the right to save Makse Kurisu in the begining. Also I don't think Okabe would hav minded in the least bit about playing god a hundred times if it meant he could save mayuri.
But anyway we all hav our own opinions. And I do respect yours. But this is wat I think. Let's not argue over it.

Winners and Victims stand alone!!

Oct 1, 2011 9:43 PM
Whoa, whoa, wait. Can Rintarou pass on his Reading Steiner abilities? He somehow got Feyris to remember the other timeline? Then all he'd have to do is find Moeka and undo her D-mail...without being shot of course.

Damn. This show is starting to get more and more depressing. First Suzuha's death and now Feyris and her dad. It's like Mayuri's tragedy can only be saved with the tragedy of others.

On a lighter note, it seems like our nerdy, mad scientist has quite the harem going for him.

Oct 2, 2011 3:56 AM

So are we all clear on this.. was Feyris having a good cry a prelude to a night spent with Kyouma in bed?

It must have been some sort a night of consoling each other which led to something.

Just before the D-mail was sent Feyris said "Feyris wouldn't want to forget her time with Kyouma" then she blushed.

Also, after reverting her d-mail she said."Kyouma and Feysis fought a great darkness together as lovers in a past life. We're really close. nyan nyan" as if she remembered.

yeah, as some people have said. It really is getting more and more depressing to see all the pain involved to save Mayuri. I could only imagine what Okabe is feeling.

-----------------------------

BTW, from what I've seen in this episodes and a couple later ones. It seems like that all the alternate timelines give the lab members a sense of a Deja Vu like memory. It could make sense since all the alternate realities in a given world line are closely tied together like rope as explained by Suzuha. You could have remnants of other realities floating in you subconscious.
Modified by Cirris, Nov 13, 2011 8:34 AM

Oct 12, 2011 2:27 PM

sadhana said:

Feyris must be ashamed!

I think you got it wrong. Her father died in an accident.

I also will miss Ruka as a girl.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Nov 10, 2011 12:15 PM

This is becoming quite sad, it's like watching every one sacrifice what they love most to make things right, but how right?

Nov 20, 2011 4:30 PM

Never expected to cry in a Feyris episode, but the dad story really moved me.

Want more interaction between Kurisu and Okabe.

Nov 27, 2011 6:12 PM

Mayushii still dead even after Suzuha going back into the past. It is also revealed that Suzuha actually managed to find IBN 5100 and gave it to Feyris's dad but due to Feyrs's mail, it was gone from Feyris's dad's possession.

Feyris remember her memories from the original world, so does this means that everyone who sent D-mail will at certain point will remember something from their "other" memories?

I admire how Feyris finally accepts that her dad was supposed to be dead and decided to help Okabe. And somehow Feyris still retains some of her "other" memories?

Nice episode. I cried a little~

Dec 10, 2011 1:29 AM

Aww I felt sorry for Feyris, but in the end she decided to help Mayuri and to wake up from her dream and accept that her Dad was dead. This episode made me sad on the inside the last few minutes.

Man this series is starting to get a bit depressing.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Dec 15, 2011 11:08 AM
sadhana said:

Feyris must be ashamed!

No one will take you seriously if you keep typing like that.

Dec 20, 2011 4:09 PM

Such a tearjerking episode ;_; Poor Feyris. Looks like next will be Ruka's D-mail, then finally Moeka's.

Dec 31, 2011 11:59 AM

Yay, Akihabara is back! Now I feel better.
Sure it is sad that Fayris-nyan's papa is died again, but if they don't save Tutturuu, they won't be able to change the future

Jan 4, 2012 4:46 AM

So Feyris can remember things from before world line change. At first I thought the explanation would be those who sent D-mail gain some ability to remember other worlds, but then I remembered Feyris wasn't physically in contact with the machine, therefore meaning everyone in the world would be subject to the same pheonmenon. I wonder what's going on.

Also, it's kind of hard to believe Feyris could make such decision. But at least it's less harsh than actually killing her father, especially if she can keep some of their memories.

Jan 8, 2012 5:50 AM

sadhana said:

Feyris must be ashamed!

Her father died in the original timeline. That was what happened. Feyris shouldn't of had tried bringing him back. Okabe's just fixing everything to how it's supposed to be. Feyris took notice of that and that is why she agreed to help. It's not that hard to understand, bro.

Jan 27, 2012 9:50 AM
It, strange because in ep.16 Okarin had sent an d-mail which really wasn't showed to us only the last word SERN but in the ep.17 when he refered to that d-mail he said I was about Suzuha!"do not give on to your assistant's threats.Follow Suzuha!!!I am missing something or what!!!he didn't sent the d-mail about SERN???
Modified by kingvince, Jan 27, 2012 9:55 AM

Feb 26, 2012 4:24 PM

one down, 3 to go, i think.

Mar 20, 2012 5:28 AM

STM said:
Another solid episode. Not as good as Suzuha's episode a week ago, but this was also really good. I felt really sorry for Faris. Now she's lost her dad again.
I didn't know her dad died though. Did they tell that earlier on?

He died in an autocrash(maybe not in an auto, but in a CRASH!), i forgot that.
Also, 5/5 for ze episode, almost cried! Almost...

SwordWielder said:
I'm pretty sure Moeka's d-mail is the key

I think that too.
あらあら。。。

Mar 27, 2012 12:24 PM

Did anyone notice what Okabe said at the beginning was strange, Mayuri died in the newest world line on the 14th, he went back to the day before and said to Kurisu Mayuri would die in two hours? I was super confused.

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »